What was your first car?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Man, I haven't seen any Dodge Dusters (or Darts) posted... thought everyone owned one

Didn't own, but got to drive one for about a week and a half back in 1969. A friend of the family needed a place to park his car while on vacation and said it was OK for me to drive and handed off the keys. I was only 17 at the time and still living at home. One day my mom went outside to water the lawn and came back in and started yelling at me for damaging the car, there was a dent about 3/4's of an inch wide and a 1/2" inch deep roughly 1 inch above the windshield and directly in the middle. I told her I didn't know anything about it and can't recall what she paid to have it fixed at the local body shop (bondo & matching paint color). She said i'd have to pay for it and there would be no argument ... until the guy returned from his trip and told us the dent had been there for quite some time since gravel from a truck hit him at high speed. :eek: So the unplanned rent for the car ended up being a tiny repaired dent. Besides this unpleasant episode for me, I loved the car, it was a nice ride and handled great. It looked kind of like this, but I believe a little bit darker shade of blue :

a7dafe47c67bbe557d777c7947de853f.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First car I bought and paid for myself
1987-ford-mustang-lx-50-3.jpg

1987 Mustang 5.0 LX
Loved that car!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Almost had...
4533940001_large.jpg

Ended up with.....
33714320001_large.jpg

My family felt that it would be safer for me. Wish I still had the Jeep.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Grand Royale that my grandparents bought at an estate auction.

Basically this:

10547952-1986-oldsmobile-delta-88-royale-std-c.jpg

10547949-1986-oldsmobile-delta-88-royale-std-c.jpg

(That's not mine, but it looked so very similar)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
First car I bought and paid for myself
1987-ford-mustang-lx-50-3.jpg

1987 Mustang 5.0 LX
Loved that car!

LX?

Did the GT scare you LOL

I loved my 88 GT. That was a fun car to own in your early 20's.

The insurance was 2500 a year in 1988, which according to inflation calculators is over $5200 now.

Which means that if I had a time machine that went forwards and backwards my car back then would STILL cost more than what I drive now in todays money.

Early 20's in age with a muscle car was no cheap way to go. I can't imagine what it would cost now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LX?

Did the GT scare you LOL

I loved my 88 GT. That was a fun car to own in your early 20's.

The insurance was 2500 a year in 1988, which according to inflation calculators is over $5200 now.

Which means that if I had a time machine that went forwards and backwards my car back then would STILL cost more than what I drive now in todays money.

Early 20's in age with a muscle car was no cheap way to go. I can't imagine what it would cost now.
87 was the first year with the new 5 liter and the LX came out before the GT. Allegedly was faster because it was slightly lighter. All I know is that it was a couple grand cheaper and I got a couple months before the gt came out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
87 was the first year with the new 5 liter and the LX came out before the GT. Allegedly was faster because it was slightly lighter. All I know is that it was a couple grand cheaper and I got a couple months before the gt came out.

I also heard it was faster than the GT, and that they stopped making the T-Top version because the car was "bending". I guess from the power and the torque.

I'm not sure if I believe that last part though.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1972-Volkswagen-Beetle-Import%20Classics--Car-100779767-b33a0a56e6324d7eb56c40da1829c19c.jpg

1972 Sports Beetle Convertible. It was a stick shift but it didn't have a clutch. Karmen body. I loved that car.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Dodge Tradesman 1977 Van Conversion
You know that saying "gas, grass, or ass, nobody rides for free"
Well as much as i dreamed my van would be the ultimate shag wagon in 1988 - i soon discovered it was a magnate for stoner dudes looking for a ride home.
I would average 5 to 8 dudes smoking camels outside my van after school
Hey had the gas and grass part covered
But the ass was a little more problematic
No self repecting dad in conservative Orange County is excited to see a '77 dodgr van with mag wheels pulling up to their home to take their daughter out
Anyway, that was the good ol days

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Didn't own, but got to drive one for about a week and a half back in 1969. A friend of the family needed a place to park his car while on vacation and said it was OK for me to drive and handed off the keys. I was only 17 at the time and still living at home. One day my mom went outside to water the lawn and came back in and started yelling at me for damaging the car, there was a dent about 3/4's of an inch wide and a 1/2" inch deep roughly 1 inch above the windshield and directly in the middle. I told her I didn't know anything about it and can't recall what she paid to have it fixed at the local body shop (bondo & matching paint color). She said i'd have to pay for it and there would be no argument ... until the guy returned from his trip and told us the dent had been there for quite some time since gravel from a truck hit him at high speed. :eek: So the unplanned rent for the car ended up being a tiny repaired dent. Besides this unpleasant episode for me, I loved the car, it was a nice ride and handled great. It looked kind of like this, but I believe a little bit darker shade of blue :

a7dafe47c67bbe557d777c7947de853f.jpg

One of my best friends still owns his Dodge Dart Swinger that he had in high school

man that thing was fast

sadly though , it now just sits out in his barn with a blown engine in disrepair :(

had alot of fun times in that car though

Last edited: