What Veteran Qbs will be out there in 2015?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The name I like the Rams to go after this offseason (he is not a QB and I dont think a FA) via trade would be Mike Pouncy C from Miami. He has been replaced as a starter and would be a pretty large upgrade over what we have now at C. Pouncy or Steve Wiz C in Oakland who is a FA, but, Oakland should have no issue signing him. Any thoughts on this?
I, personally, want no part of Pouncey after he came out in support of Aaron Hernandez shortly after he was arrested. That was a classless move, IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
I, personally, want no part of Pouncey after he came out in support of Aaron Hernandez shortly after he was arrested. That was a classless move, IMO.
I dont remember that. Not a smart move. That said, I dont care about that stuff. He was supporting someone he probably knows who had been convicted of anything....Im sure he didnt know all the details at that point. Wells is an awesome dude, but, he is liability in the middle.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there a difference, a measurable difference between Orton and Hill? The Rams could probably get similiar sort of play from Hill.
Exactly. Put any QB in Hill's spot (a freak injury) and a seat on the bench when Davis played great, and that QB would have the same stats as Hill right now

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I dont remember that. Not a smart move. That said, I dont care about that stuff. He was supporting someone he probably knows who had been convicted of anything....Im sure he didnt know all the details at that point. Wells is an awesome dude, but, he is liability in the middle.
True, they were at UF together and are/were probably close but still horrendously poor judgement IMO. Agree that Wells is a liability but I do not want Pouncey nonetheless.

pouncey-bigger.JPG

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
No way Sanchez is an upgrade over Austin Davis. Not to mention the extra money he would cost. (n) But for those who think he is, here is an article that may confirm your beliefs.
---------------------------------
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/03/nfl-philadelphia-eagles-mark-sanchez-nick-foles-injury/

mark-sanchez960.jpg

Thomas B. Shea/Getty Images

In Sanchize We Trust
No Nick Foles? No problem. The Eagles shouldn't miss a beat with Mark Sanchez—yes, Mark Sanchez—running the offense. It's an injury to a defensive star that should have them worried
By Greg A. Bedard

The Eagles lost quarterback Nick Foles and linebacker DeMeco Ryans to long-term injuries on Sunday. Ordinarily, it’s the loss of a passer that is the deeper, and sometimes fatal, wound.

But Philadelphia, thanks to Chip Kelly’s offensive scheme, is no ordinary team. Given the way his tenure ended with the Jets, it may be shocking to read this: The Eagles are in good hands with Mark Sanchez.

At quarterback, Foles had trouble (as anyone would) living up to his performance during the 2013 season, when he threw 27 touchdowns against just two interceptions (the best TD/INT ratio in league history) over 10 starts and helped the Eagles to a division title. His 119.0 passer rating was third-best all time.

This season, Foles saw his completion percentage fall from 64.0 percent to 59.9, and he threw 10 touchdowns against nine interceptions. He had to play behind an injury-ravaged offensive line and gutted through a shoulder injury, but Foles’ mechanics had become wildly inconsistent. He often threw stepping away from his target and fading away from the line of scrimmage. While he was under pressure on the play, Foles threw an ill-advised pass that Texans corner A.J. Bouye intercepted and returned for a touchdown. If Foles’ erratic play continued, one had to wonder if Kelly would have contemplated a change even without the injury.

Sanchez entered the game and promptly threw a 52-yard pass to Jeremy Maclin, and capped the drive with an 11-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Matthews on third-and-goal. Sanchez later added an 8-yard TD to Maclin on a tight-window throw to put the game away with 3:50 left. Sanchez finished 15 of 22 for 202 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. One INT wasn’t Sanchez’s fault (it bounced off Josh Huff’s hands). The other was a mix up with Riley Cooper, and Sanchez had another pass bounce off a defender’s chest when Sanchez and Matthews weren’t on the same page.

Considering the circumstances, it was a great performance by Sanchez and a continuation of the type of play he exhibited in the preseason and practice. I saw it firsthand at an Eagles training camp practice this summer, leading me to call Sanchez, “one of the best emergency fantasy quarterbacks this season.” The Sanchez I saw in July was much different than the guy who became a punch line at the end of his Jets tenure.

Not only is Sanchez surrounded by much better talent now, but Kelly’s scheme appears to give him a much-needed boost of confidence after the Jets years drained it out of him. What’s great about Kelly’s system for a quarterback is that it gives you answers. The pre-snap reads are simple and straightforward, and the options off those reads narrow down the options for a quarterback after the snap. With the Jets, one of the weakest parts of Sanchez’s game was his inability to read defenses before the snap. The best quarterbacks have the answers, or at least a fairly good idea of what they’re going to see, before the ball is snapped. Sanchez was never comfortable with that and, as a result, he often took on a deer-in-headlights look after the snap.

Kelly’s system is math and simple indicators. If the defense has so many guys in coverage on one side of the field, that will lead Sanchez to narrow his options to one side of the field or another. If a defensive player is aligned in a certain spot, that can be an indicator to Sanchez as well. During the telecast, FOX analyst Daryl Johnston talked about whether or not Kelly could use the entire playbook with Sanchez. There isn’t much to the Eagles’ playbook because there aren’t that many different plays. Kelly just dresses them up with different formations and personnel. As soon as a quarterback understands the indictors he’s looking for, it’s fairly simple. It doesn’t take that long. Sanchez should already be close to fully integrated.

The other factor that could benefit the Eagles going forward is that Sanchez is a much better athlete and a faster runner than Foles. I always thought Philadelphia was held back because Foles isn’t really a threat to run on the read-option, but a quarterback’s decision-making in the passing game trumps all. Kelly’s scheme runs optimally with a true dual threat at quarterback. By having the threat of a running quarterback, the defense has to worry about one more gap that they wouldn’t have to mind with Foles under center. That allows them to crash against the run. While Sanchez isn’t exactly Marcus Mariota, his presence will create a little more space in the run game. That might have been a small factor in Philadelphia rushing for 190 yards in Houston, their second-highest total of the season.

Sanchez is still going to have his bouts of inconsistency (Kelly is not a miracle worker), but the Eagles shouldn’t lose much offensively with Foles on the sidelines. It’s a different story on the defensive side, where they’re going to need to find a way to stop the run without Ryans. Philadelphia faces some excellent running backs down the stretch in Carolina’s DeAngelo Williams, Green Bay’s Eddie Lacy, Dallas’s DeMarco Murray (twice), Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch, Washington’s Alfred Morris and the Giants’ Rashad Jennings. Those two matchups with Dallas will likely decide the NFC East. If, come January, the Eagles are watching the playoffs from home, it will likely be because they couldn’t overcome the loss of a linebacker, not their quarterback.

Athos

Legend
He was pretty bad vs. SF, but, he was very, very good vs. Seattle. He is a mixed bag right now. The same thing a rookie, no matter how highly drafted, will probably deliver if he starts right away.

Like those four Bortles pick-6 passes. Yeesh. 4 is a lot in 2 seasons worth of play and they've been much worse than any of Davis'.

fearsomefour

Legend
True, they were at UF together and are/were probably close but still horrendously poor judgement IMO. Agree that Wells is a liability but I do not want Pouncey nonetheless.

pouncey-bigger.JPG
Fair enough.
Rams need an upgrade at C....how they do that, we will see.

fearsomefour

Legend
No way Sanchez is an upgrade over Austin Davis. Not to mention the extra money he would cost. (n) But for those who think he is, here is an article that may confirm your beliefs.
---------------------------------
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/03/nfl-philadelphia-eagles-mark-sanchez-nick-foles-injury/

mark-sanchez960.jpg

Thomas B. Shea/Getty Images

In Sanchize We Trust
No Nick Foles? No problem. The Eagles shouldn't miss a beat with Mark Sanchez—yes, Mark Sanchez—running the offense. It's an injury to a defensive star that should have them worried
By Greg A. Bedard

The Eagles lost quarterback Nick Foles and linebacker DeMeco Ryans to long-term injuries on Sunday. Ordinarily, it’s the loss of a passer that is the deeper, and sometimes fatal, wound.

But Philadelphia, thanks to Chip Kelly’s offensive scheme, is no ordinary team. Given the way his tenure ended with the Jets, it may be shocking to read this: The Eagles are in good hands with Mark Sanchez.

At quarterback, Foles had trouble (as anyone would) living up to his performance during the 2013 season, when he threw 27 touchdowns against just two interceptions (the best TD/INT ratio in league history) over 10 starts and helped the Eagles to a division title. His 119.0 passer rating was third-best all time.

This season, Foles saw his completion percentage fall from 64.0 percent to 59.9, and he threw 10 touchdowns against nine interceptions. He had to play behind an injury-ravaged offensive line and gutted through a shoulder injury, but Foles’ mechanics had become wildly inconsistent. He often threw stepping away from his target and fading away from the line of scrimmage. While he was under pressure on the play, Foles threw an ill-advised pass that Texans corner A.J. Bouye intercepted and returned for a touchdown. If Foles’ erratic play continued, one had to wonder if Kelly would have contemplated a change even without the injury.

Sanchez entered the game and promptly threw a 52-yard pass to Jeremy Maclin, and capped the drive with an 11-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Matthews on third-and-goal. Sanchez later added an 8-yard TD to Maclin on a tight-window throw to put the game away with 3:50 left. Sanchez finished 15 of 22 for 202 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. One INT wasn’t Sanchez’s fault (it bounced off Josh Huff’s hands). The other was a mix up with Riley Cooper, and Sanchez had another pass bounce off a defender’s chest when Sanchez and Matthews weren’t on the same page.

Considering the circumstances, it was a great performance by Sanchez and a continuation of the type of play he exhibited in the preseason and practice. I saw it firsthand at an Eagles training camp practice this summer, leading me to call Sanchez, “one of the best emergency fantasy quarterbacks this season.” The Sanchez I saw in July was much different than the guy who became a punch line at the end of his Jets tenure.

Not only is Sanchez surrounded by much better talent now, but Kelly’s scheme appears to give him a much-needed boost of confidence after the Jets years drained it out of him. What’s great about Kelly’s system for a quarterback is that it gives you answers. The pre-snap reads are simple and straightforward, and the options off those reads narrow down the options for a quarterback after the snap. With the Jets, one of the weakest parts of Sanchez’s game was his inability to read defenses before the snap. The best quarterbacks have the answers, or at least a fairly good idea of what they’re going to see, before the ball is snapped. Sanchez was never comfortable with that and, as a result, he often took on a deer-in-headlights look after the snap.

Kelly’s system is math and simple indicators. If the defense has so many guys in coverage on one side of the field, that will lead Sanchez to narrow his options to one side of the field or another. If a defensive player is aligned in a certain spot, that can be an indicator to Sanchez as well. During the telecast, FOX analyst Daryl Johnston talked about whether or not Kelly could use the entire playbook with Sanchez. There isn’t much to the Eagles’ playbook because there aren’t that many different plays. Kelly just dresses them up with different formations and personnel. As soon as a quarterback understands the indictors he’s looking for, it’s fairly simple. It doesn’t take that long. Sanchez should already be close to fully integrated.

The other factor that could benefit the Eagles going forward is that Sanchez is a much better athlete and a faster runner than Foles. I always thought Philadelphia was held back because Foles isn’t really a threat to run on the read-option, but a quarterback’s decision-making in the passing game trumps all. Kelly’s scheme runs optimally with a true dual threat at quarterback. By having the threat of a running quarterback, the defense has to worry about one more gap that they wouldn’t have to mind with Foles under center. That allows them to crash against the run. While Sanchez isn’t exactly Marcus Mariota, his presence will create a little more space in the run game. That might have been a small factor in Philadelphia rushing for 190 yards in Houston, their second-highest total of the season.

Sanchez is still going to have his bouts of inconsistency (Kelly is not a miracle worker), but the Eagles shouldn’t lose much offensively with Foles on the sidelines. It’s a different story on the defensive side, where they’re going to need to find a way to stop the run without Ryans. Philadelphia faces some excellent running backs down the stretch in Carolina’s DeAngelo Williams, Green Bay’s Eddie Lacy, Dallas’s DeMarco Murray (twice), Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch, Washington’s Alfred Morris and the Giants’ Rashad Jennings. Those two matchups with Dallas will likely decide the NFC East. If, come January, the Eagles are watching the playoffs from home, it will likely be because they couldn’t overcome the loss of a linebacker, not their quarterback.
Sanchez would cost more and Orton cost $5M. Id just assume keep Davis or Hill over either one. Heck, even with a raise Hill costs less than Orton and is basically the same guy.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Not that I'm a big fan or anything, but one of the best stopgap QBs that is a FA next year might be Jake Locker. I also wouldn't mind trading for Mike Glennon, because it looks like Tampa will have a top 5 pick. I also wouldn't mind giving Hoyer a look if the Browns go the Manziel route.

Also open to bringing back Hill and/or Sam. IMO Davis is nothing special at this point and his weaknesses have begun to be identified and exploited by opponents

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why? He can't stay healthy. You can't have an injury prone player at the most important position. Even before the injuries, Bradford hadn't shown that he was elite or even close. He was still a big question mark. Why does he deserve so much loyalty?

from the team? he doesn't. this is my own personal view.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Sanchez wanted no part of coming here after Bradford went down. He is similar to Davis anyway.

If Bradford can't return, how about we make a play for that pain in the neck Cutler?
Nah, wherever Cutler goes splintered locker rooms seem to follow. First the Broncos, now the Bears. I don't think this young team needs a leader to lead them into trouble, we do that well enough on our own.