What to think of that '16 draft class?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I'm tired of the whining man.

So many posts with fans disappointed in Higbee, Goff, Gurley, Robinson, etc., etc., etc. It's part of being a fan of a football team.

Slow the roll on the panic train.

Could not agree more

I'll add one more thing, I think many will be disappointed in how much time Spruce gets. I bet he's a special teamer, first and foremost, and I expect him not to be the WR savior.

Spruce got MAX love for 1 pre-season game.

Slow the roll on the panic train. Exactly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll add one more thing, I think many will be disappointed in how much time Spruce gets. I bet he's a special teamer, first and foremost, and I expect him not to be the WR savior.

Fish did mention exactly that in his last press conference. He said "they" meaning Coop and Spruce, would provide a boost on teams and be mixed in a bit or something similar, paraphrasing here. So I think your expectation is in line with what Fish alluded to.

IMO they are using Coop and to a lesser extent Spruce to push Quick. I'm sure he knows that if he doesn't come out and play well early he is the one surrendering snaps to them, vice Britt or Tavon. So my guess is Cooper gets the most snaps of the two, since he was the guy early in camp who had been elevated above Quick. And Spruce is going to have to make the most of the snaps he gets as well, when the other guys need a rest.

Well, hopefully they'll need a rest of course, meaning they won't be three 'n outing the entire game.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I just dunno, man.

We're so used to seeing 3-4 instant starters from these S&F drafts.

Even ROY starters. All Pros, even.

But this year? Not so much, huh?

Goff. Still looking for his first real game snap.
Higbee. A single reception for 2 yards.
Cooper. Hurt. No real snaps yet.
Thomas. Has played well on ST, but been invisible in passing game.
Forrest. Has shown some potential, but he's relegated to 3rd LB status and will be on the field 35% of time, at most. Good pick, however.
Hemingway. Slight ST contributor only.

All have potential yet to contribute this year, of course. Goff, Higbee, and Cooper might be significant contributors this year, actually.

But if we're gonna be totally honest, we've received virtually zilch from this draft class. At least so far. And we just passed the season's quarter pole.
Dude you know this being a Rams fan... Fisher doesn't start rookies much if any... if your not used to it get used to it! Lol even the great Aaron Donald didn't start from day one and what was it week 5-6 when he started on up? We use training wheels here

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dude you know this being a Rams fan... Fisher doesn't start rookies much if any... if your not used to it get used to it! Lol even the great Aaron Donald didn't start from day one and what was it week 5-6 when he started on up? We use training wheels here

Sure, I know that, Corbin. Especially for O rookies.

But it IS an undeniable fact that we've enjoyed scarcely any production from this entire draft class for the first time in Fisher's 5 years.

Hopefully, that will change soon.

Not that anyone should be panicking, of course.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Cant really compare this class to past classes for several different reasons. Our previous classes had a glut of first, second, and third round picks so of course you expect more from those guys earlier. Outside of Goff we don't have any of those high picks. Our 2 rookies of the year were not starting until week 4, so patience is needed even with the early round picks

If you look at the impact 4-7 round picks from the Snisher era that are still on the team outside of Gaines who only started because of Injury to Tru there are no instant impact guys. However guys like Wichman and Alexander have developed into solid starters in years 2 and 3 respectively and others like Donnal, Zuerline, Rhaney and Hager have been solid contributors. Give these later round draft picks some time to develop.

Furthermore only 7 out of 20 guys drafted in round 4 through 7 in the Snisher era are still on the team, so we should also temper our expectations

Last edited:

Corbin

Sure, I know that, Corbin. Especially for O rookies.

But it IS an undeniable fact that we've enjoyed scarcely any production from this entire draft class for the first time in Fisher's 5 years.

Hopefully, that will change soon.

Not that anyone should be panicking, of course.
Honestly I thought we were going to get some fairly good production from Higbee but I have no clue wth he went?

I really do think in the next few weeks we are going to be having quite a few younger guys contributing regardless where they wrrr drafted.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly I thought we were going to get some fairly good production from Higbee but I have no clue wth he went?

It's the nature of the TE position. Even the best rarely come out in year one and dominate.

Corbin

It's the nature of the TE position. Even the best rarely come out in year one and dominate.
Yeah I hear that but even in pre season he seemed to contribute a bit then just blocking etc. hoping the mid and second half of the season he contributes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams could get the most from him by simply putting him in the pattern. He's good on the short routes because he's so damn big and has a nice catch radius. Also would be good in trips using him as an obstacle to shake Tavon or whomever loose.

Then go back to the standard TE stuff next year.

Oh and that reminds me though... He was open across the middle I think on that pass that Keenum threw to Quick for the short TD. Going by memory but will go back and check to make sure. So some of it might indeed be QB trust.