What to think of that '16 draft class?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I just dunno, man.

We're so used to seeing 3-4 instant starters from these S&F drafts.

Even ROY starters. All Pros, even.

But this year? Not so much, huh?

Goff. Still looking for his first real game snap.
Higbee. A single reception for 2 yards.
Cooper. Hurt. No real snaps yet.
Thomas. Has played well on ST, but been invisible in passing game.
Forrest. Has shown some potential, but he's relegated to 3rd LB status and will be on the field 35% of time, at most. Good pick, however.
Hemingway. Slight ST contributor only.

All have potential yet to contribute this year, of course. Goff, Higbee, and Cooper might be significant contributors this year, actually.

But if we're gonna be totally honest, we've received virtually zilch from this draft class. At least so far. And we just passed the season's quarter pole.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher is cautious with rookies but even more so with rookies on offense. I think there are some good picks, but let's be realistic. This draft is all about Goff. Guys like Cooper were there later for a reason. Ditto for Thomas. None of them were locks imo

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thus far here after the first quarter of this 2016 season this draft class has produced very little if any....:sadwalk::thinking::huh::palm:(n).

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
With a better team there is a lesser need for rookies.

I am disappointed Higbee hasn't gotten 2-3 targets a game at 12-15 yards....but I guess Kendricks has those (and he looks a lot better to me this year).

Higbee has been blocking on a lot of plays, and not Harkey, surprising considering how bad their run game is....I know he is a better decoy than Harkey, right?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Way to early ask me in 2018 how the draft class turned out.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
You can look at this a couple of ways. If you're grading on immediate impact, then obviously you might as well not even have had a draft. Or, you can look at it like the Rams had 6 draft picks, 5 of them middle to late rounds and all made the team. The Rams secured there future long term QB(hopefully) plus upgraded the depth and talent at several needed positions.

Way too early to judge this story.(y)

Last edited:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Judge the pass catchers once our QB takes the field. Judge him after year 2. This is for our future, which is awesome because our present is working pretty well as it is.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My Gut Tells me that we are going to here something from S-P-R-U-U-U-C-E THIS WEEK!!(y)(y):snicker::shades:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the 2016 draft class will be completely defined by Jared Goff. So right now, I can't say what i think of it

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can look at this a couple of ways. If you're grading on immediate impact, then obviously you might as well not even have had a draft. Or, you can look at it like the Rams had 6 draft picks, 5 of them middle to late rounds and all made the team. The Rams secured there future long term QB(hopefully) plus either upgraded the depth and talent at several needed positions.

Way too early to judge this story.(y)

Very well said, woofmo.

The fact that all the picks made the 53 is very significant.

Hell, we may be raving about some of these kids before all is said and done this season. Who knows?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
You just noted that every single draft pick we made is a current contributor to the team. I say that is a good draft class, as our depth was starting to dissipate after losing important starters last year. You can't have grandslammers if you don't have the players that can get on base first.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper is the only one we should have had high expectations for. Fisher deemed him a starter early on, although with Quick actually showing up, Cooper might not really be a "starter" anymore.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The team is 3-1. Good teams draft players into their depth chart. Can't we enjoy being a winning team for now?

I'm tired of the whining man. So many posts with fans disappointed in Higbee, Goff, Gurley, Robinson, etc., etc., etc. It's part of being a fan of a football team. Not every player is going to be a Gurley or Donald in year one, but that doesn't mean they aren't gonna develop into significant players.

Slow the roll on the panic train.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The team is 3-1. Good teams draft players into their depth chart. Can't we enjoy being a winning team for now?

I'm tired of the whining man. So many posts with fans disappointed in Higbee, Goff, Gurley, Robinson, etc., etc., etc. It's part of being a fan of a football team. Not every player is going to be a Gurley or Donald in year one, but that doesn't mean they aren't gonna develop into significant players.

Slow the roll on the panic train.

This^. x1000.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But if we're gonna be totally honest, we've received virtually zilch from this draft class. At least so far. And we just passed the season's quarter pole.
No, we have a franchise
QB...on the bench...

This team is a lil too deep to be using 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders as primary contributors...I was surprised many actually made the team...

I think Mike Thomas & Pharoh Cooper will bring something soon....Forrest has started....And Goff goes as soon as the Keenum experiment is over....And Goff is a future star.... The league is already noticing the power of 7-on-7 football for these young QB's....Goff throws as good as Lynch & Wentz...that's a fact.

the 2016 draft class will be completely defined by Jared Goff. So right now, I can't say what i think of it
Exactly....and, from the way it looks, backup QB is STILL the best job in the country....

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, we have a franchise
QB...on the bench...

This team is a lil too deep to be using 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders as primary contributors...I was surprised many actually made the team...

I think Mike Thomas & Pharoh Cooper will bring something soon....Forrest has started....And Goff goes as soon as the Keenum experiment is over....And Goff is a future star.... The league is already noticing the power of 7-on-7 football for these young QB's....Goff throws as good as Lynch & Wentz...that's a fact.

Exactly....and, from the way it looks, backup QB is STILL the best job in the country....
We seem to be on the same page a lot lately champ.....:grouphug:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We seem to be on the same page a lot lately champ.....:grouphug:

So you're sayin Quick has compromising photos of you too? :rolllaugh:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I guess they spent their later round picks as best they could, when you consider they were starting in the fourth.

I wasn't really worried about the wide receivers. We had Britt, Quick and Austin as starters. I mean, yeah, it would be great to have Dez Bryant on that list, but we don't. Then you have Cook. Was anyone expecting Cook to be replaced by Higbee at the beginning of this season?

My only big worry about this year's draft was at CB. To me, it took stones to know you weren't going to keep Jenkins, trade your second and third rounds away and then don't even draft a corner, but rather some tight ends and wide receivers to develop for next year obviously to work with your new QB. Especially with Gaines injured last year. Those are some fast, agile shoes to fill there :)

And I'm not going to lie, I was worried about the line backer position. You can't put it on the line, pun intended.

So really, if you're evaluating the immediate impact of this year's draft, the only thing that's off is Goff.