What to expect from a Fisher team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

stano00

UDFA
Being a native LA resident, I am a former LA Rams fan who has had no real allegiance to any specific team since they left town. I tend to become a fan of the teams with players or coaches that I like. I can say I became a Tennessee fan when they named Fisher as coach. I've watched almost every Titan game since their Super Bowl year. Being very familiar with a Fisher coached team, I thought I'd mention some things I would expect from the Rams in the future.

1. Physical - His Tennessee teams always tough physical smash mouth teams. His teams were never beat physically. Their games with teams like the Ravens and Steelers were wars.
2. Conservative offensively - He never had a high powered offense. Think runs up the gut to try and eat up the clock and shorten the game. Stephan Jackson will have a huge year if he can still hold up physically. He fits a Fisher team perfectly.
3. Close games - Zuerlein will figure prominently as Fisher's game coaching tries to keep the games close.
4. Aggressive penalties - His teams were never mistaken for the Shula type penalty free teams. Think borderline dirty.
5. Winning ugly - His teams never had a glamorous style of play. They would rather run through you then run around you. Don't expect a reprisal of the "greatest show on turf" under Fisher

The current team I would say is the closest to a Fisher style team is the 49ers. I would anticipate wars with them in the coming years as the Rams improve. I think you can count on Fisher to bring you a solid, hard nosed competitive team in the very near future.

Anonymous

stano00 said:
Being a native LA resident, I am a former LA Rams fan who has had no real allegiance to any specific team since they left town. I tend to become a fan of the teams with players or coaches that I like. I can say I became a Tennessee fan when they named Fisher as coach. I've watched almost every Titan game since their Super Bowl year. Being very familiar with a Fisher coached team, I thought I'd mention some things I would expect from the Rams in the future.

1. Physical - His Tennessee teams always tough physical smash mouth teams. His teams were never beat physically. Their games with teams like the Ravens and Steelers were wars.
2. Conservative offensively - He never had a high powered offense. Think runs up the gut to try and eat up the clock and shorten the game. Stephan Jackson will have a huge year if he can still hold up physically. He fits a Fisher team perfectly.
3. Close games - Zuerlein will figure prominently as Fisher's game coaching tries to keep the games close.
4. Aggressive penalties - His teams were never mistaken for the Shula type penalty free teams. Think borderline dirty.
5. Winning ugly - His teams never had a glamorous style of play. They would rather run through you then run around you. Don't expect a reprisal of the "greatest show on turf" under Fisher

The current team I would say is the closest to a Fisher style team is the 49ers. I would anticipate wars with them in the coming years as the Rams improve. I think you can count on Fisher to bring you a solid, hard nosed competitive team in the very near future.

Thanks for that. To develop it further, McNair was a top qb but Bradford is potentially better as a pure passer. A better comparison maybe is Kerry Collins. The Titans of course went 13-3 with Collins in 2008. They put Collins, obviously a pocket passer type, in a position to win. They did it with defense, being 5th in rushing attempts, 27th in passing attempts, and throwing to guys like Scaife, Brandon Jones (?), and McCareins.

I think it's pretty obvious Bradford can be better than Collins. Meaning, if they set up the same qb friendly world they had with Collins in 08, Bradford will have more to offer in that environment than Collins.

As ragged as they look right now, I think the Rams receivers as a group will offer more than what Collins had in 2008, too.

I don't think any of that is ready this year though. The 2012 Rams have too many problems to sort out on defense. And of course the Titans OLs were always rock solid from left to right. Rams will be fine I think on the OL this year but obviously haven't reached that level of rock solid consistency you saw in the best Titans OLs.

stano00

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
Thanks for that. To develop it further, McNair was a top qb but Bradford is potentially better as a pure passer. A better comparison maybe is Kerry Collins. The Titans of course went 13-3 with Collins in 2008. They put Collins, obviously a pocket passer type, in a position to win. They did it with defense, being 5th in rushing attempts, 27th in passing attempts, and throwing to guys like Scaife, Brandon Jones (?), and McCareins.

I think it's pretty obvious Bradford can be better than Collins. Meaning, if they set up the same qb friendly world they had with Collins in 08, Bradford will have more to offer in that environment than Collins.

As ragged as they look right now, I think the Rams receivers as a group will offer more than what Collins had in 2008, too.

I don't think any of that is ready this year though. The 2012 Rams have too many problems to sort out on defense. And of course the Titans OLs were always rock solid from left to right. Rams will be fine I think on the OL this year but obviously haven't reached that level of rock solid consistency you saw in the best Titans OLs.

I agree with you regarding the QB/WR assessment. Fisher never had a pure passing prospect like Bradford. One thing I'm sure he'd love to see out of Sam would be a fraction of the toughness McNair brought to the table. That guy would not shy away from running straight into Ray Lewis. Collins was nothing more than a journeyman at that point in his career. I too believe there is more potential with Rams receivers. The Titans were definitely lacking in WR talent once Mason left.

From what I've seen so far, the Rams OL is one of the biggest concerns at the moment. Steven Jacksons health/durability will probably be a big factor in respectability. Without an effective Jackson pounding the opposing defenses, vulnerabilities in the line could be exposed. The early Eddie George Titans OL used to be able tell the opposing defenses that they're going to run here, try and stop us.

Another thing I should mention is regarding the defensive coaching situation. At the time, I loved the Greg Williams hire since I felt he coached the best Titan defenses. The scenario I do not want to see is Chuck Cecil taking over as DC. He is fine as a position coach, but he was DC for the worst Titan defenses I had ever seen. Fisher actually had to fire him. My choice for calling the defense would be McGinnis or Fisher himself. I am not aware of any HC who calls the defensive plays though.