What to do with Kirk Cousins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/washington...usins-future-remains-cloudy-after-eight-games

ASHBURN, Va. -- His season started slow, with two tough outings that did little to prove he deserved a huge contract. Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins' last few games before the bye helped make the decision a lot tougher.

The Redskins wanted to see consistency from Cousins if they were going to pay him $20 million-plus per season on a long-term deal. He hasn’t been consistent, but he has improved. That just means the final eight games not only will decide the Redskins’ playoff fate but likely his future in Washington. To earn that big deal, Cousins still needs to show he can play at a consistently high level.

Here’s a game-by-game look at how Cousins did in the first half, rated by dollar signs (one through four) that signify how much each performance might earn him. Obviously, the more dollar signs the better. And, as you can see by the ratings, the consistency still remains to be seen. That's why the second half is crucial.

Pittsburgh: Cousins started off poorly and showed how meaningless total yards can be. He threw for 329 yards, but no touchdowns and two interceptions in a 38-16 loss. Cousins was indecisive and missed some excellent opportunities for points. He struggled in the red zone, throwing a pick there late after not throwing any red zone interceptions in 17 games last season. Not what he or the Redskins needed.

Verdict: $

Dallas: The Redskins moved the ball all day against the Cowboys’ defense and were in position to score 35-40 points. Cousins threw for 364 yards; they weren’t hollow, either. But Cousins missed more golden chances -- a deep crosser to a wide-open Jamison Crowder among them. Cousins also threw a late interception in the end zone, the result of poor mechanics and vision.

Verdict: $

New York Giants: Cousins helped the Redskins win on the road, so that was good. He did make some big-time throws -- a 44-yard pass to receiver DeSean Jackson in which he baited the safety with a shoulder pump to the other side. Cousins made solid throws under duress and was more decisive than in the first two games. But he still didn’t have the look of a $20 million quarterback. The numbers were good: He completed 21 of 35 passes for 296 yards and two touchdowns; there were some missed opportunities and another botched sequence before halftime. But it was a game on which he could build.

Verdict: $$$

Cleveland: More good and bad. Again. Cousins threw an interception because he stared down a receiver, but he also maneuvered the safety a couple of times with his eyes for big completions. And he extended a play in the red zone, leading to a touchdown pass to Jordan Reed. Cousins' numbers were solid -- 21-of-27 for 183 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. He was better in the red zone, throwing touchdowns on three of five opportunities. Not a cha-ching sort of day, but the red zone improvement helped.

Verdict: $$

Baltimore: The Ravens were intent on forcing underneath throws and that’s what Cousins kept taking. However, the offense did have chances for multiple deep shots and failed. Swirling winds didn’t help, but that certainly doesn’t excuse it all. Plus, Cousins was intercepted deep in his own territory and only a fortunate fumble out of the end zone on the return bailed him out. He completed 29 of 41 passes for 260 yards, one touchdown and an interception. His passer rating (85.4) and QBR (46.4) reflect the mediocre outing.

Verdict: $$

Philadelphia: Cousins’ stats suggest he struggled, but this actually was his best game of the season. He completed 18 of 34 throws for 263 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. But Cousins finally made a series of off-schedule plays, something the coaches had wanted to see him do. Those plays extended drives and led to points and a victory.

Detroit: He continued his steady improvement and played well in his home state. Cousins threw for 301 yards and a touchdown and led two fourth-quarter scoring drives that put Washington ahead with just over a minute remaining before the defense gave up a touchdown to lose. Cousins connected on some medium-range throws, but more impressively handled a lot of pressure in the pocket. He avoided some sacks with good recognition and throwing the ball away. Other times he was able to connect under duress. More games like this would help. He had them in position to score 27 points, but a missed field goal and fumble at the 2-yard line hurt.

Cincinnati: A strong outing preceded another. Cousins completed 38 of 56 passes for 458 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. He averaged 8.18 yards per pass attempt, his second highest total of the season. The 38 completions set a franchise record; the yardage total was the second-highest. Cousins delivered some big-time throws, too, like the third-and-13 to Crowder with one minute, 58 seconds remaining while facing a heavy rush. The Redskins again blew chances in the red zone, but Cousins did lead a second-half rally from 10 points down to force overtime where a missed 34-yard field goal cost them a win. He needs more games like the last two to build a case for huge money.

Verdict: $$$$

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Redskins let him hit FA, I'm sure somebody will pay him what he wants. Osweiler got paid $18 million per year. He was an unproven QB who looked mediocre in his limited starting experience. Cousins has proven himself to be a solid starter in the right system.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Looks like he will be Keenums competition in FA.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are potentially a lot of teams that could be QB shopping this off season. Could be a wild ride.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like he will be Keenums competition in FA.
Lol!

I'd say they have to franchise him again if they cant sign him to a long term deal
He has seemed to have solved his INT issue which plagued him early in his career. Dude may hit 5k in passing yardage this year

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bad part for the Skins is the relative lack of quality at QB in this draft. I don't see them paying him big bucks, but they're not gonna want to franchise him again.

Might be Case Keenum's destination when all is said and done.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The Skins don't really have another option and he has been just good enough to keep them on their toes so he will be right back in Washington next year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bad part for the Skins is the relative lack of quality at QB in this draft. I don't see them paying him big bucks, but they're not gonna want to franchise him again.

Might be Case Keenum's destination when all is said and done.

If I'm the Redskins I tag Cousins and try to work out a deal before I let him walk and bring in Keenum.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I'm the Redskins I tag Cousins and try to work out a deal before I let him walk and bring in Keenum.

I suspect they'll get a deal done with Kirk, yeah. He was rather full of himself following last season (recall reading he wanted some serious top money), but this season has slowed his roll a bit in regards to his ego. And yeah, Case is going to be signed by a team to be a backup, a guy can make a lot of money in this league doing that and have a nice long career as well, so I don't feel sorry for him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I suspect they'll get a deal done with Kirk, yeah. He was rather full of himself following last season (recall reading he wanted some serious top money), but this season has slowed his roll a bit in regards to his ego. And yeah, Case is going to be signed by a team to be a backup, a guy can make a lot of money in this league doing that and have a nice long career as well, so I don't feel sorry for him.

He's playing pretty well lately, and QB's are always at a premium.

He is gong to get 20MIL from someone, and frankly if I needed a QB or felt I was a good QB away from contending I'd keep him and I think the Redskins probably feel they are in the mix and can contend for the division title in the coming years.

They will couch up the cheddar lol.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case Keenum will get a shot at a starter gig after leaving the Rams just like Austin Davis did....

Ram65

Legend
Cousins will get paid one way or another. At this point 20 million will be top 15 Qbs money very soon. Skins got to keep up with the division which now has two young up and coming QBs along with Eli. I haven't watched Cousins much this year but he and the Skins are playing better.

Excuse the source
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...est-paid-quarterbacks-2016-rankings/85668926/

Jeremy Cluff , azcentral sports10:30 a.m. MST November 10, 2016

Editors' note: We've updated this story with salary information as of Nov. 10, 2016.

In March, we wrote about how the salaries of NFL quarterbacks were really out of control.

As we prepare for another week of the season, we decided to take another look.

32 NFL quarterbacks now make at least $5 million in average salary per year per overthecap.com, a site that tracks NFL player contracts.

24 of those make at least $10 million. 12 make at least $20 million.

PHOTOS: Ranking NFL quarterbacks by salary

The highest paid quarterback in the NFL is the Indianapolis Colts' Andrew Luck. He makes $24.6 million per season.

Here's the NFL's highest paid QBs based on average salary per year:

1. Colts QB Andrew Luck: $24.6 million
  2. Saints QB Drew Brees: $24.3 million
  3. Ravens QB Joe Flacco: $22.1 million
  4. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $22 million
  5. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $21.9 million
  6. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $21.85 million
  7. Cardinals QB Carson Palmer: $21 million
  8. Giants QB Eli Manning: $21 million
  9. Chargers QB Philip Rivers: $20.81 million
  10. Panthers QB Cam Newton: $20.76 million

- Source: overthecap.com

RELATED: Ranking the NFL's Top 15 quarterbacks - 2016

We're bound to see changes to this list but one thing is certain.

NFL quarterbacks are going to continue to get paid.

To see the 32 NFL quarterbacks who make more than $5 million a year in average salary, ranked from highest average salary to lowest, click here.

For more from The Heat Index, go to heatindex.azcentral.com.

Follow Jeremy Cluff on Twitter.