What to do at No. 2? --Peter King

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What to do at No. 2?
By Peter King

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/22/st-louis-rams-draft-second-pick-dilemma/

The Rams will have a tough choice May 8. Should they take the best defensive player on the board (possibly Jadeveon Clowney) or boost the offense with Sammy Watkins or a top tackle? Our unsolicited advice for St. Louis, plus mail

Inundated with information—all of it questionable—about what Houston will do at No. 1, we’ve given the Rams short shrift with the second overall pick on May 8. I believe general manager Les Snead will take Jadeveon Clowney if Houston bypasses the South Carolina pass-rusher. But I don’t believe that’s what he should do.

I think Snead and coach Jeff Fisher should go offense here. I’d go with Clemson wideout Sammy Watkins or one of the two top tackles, probably Greg Robinson of Auburn. But the Rams could take Watkins here, and with their second pick of the first round take the third- or fourth-best tackle in the crop—Michigan’s Taylor Lewan or the experienced Zack Martin of Notre Dame (a 52-game college starter). Martin could easily move to guard for a year or two.

Watkins and Tavon Austin would give Sam Bradford the real chance a top quarterback prospect needs. And let’s face it: Bradford still has to be considered a prospect. He hasn’t arrived yet, after four seasons. He hasn’t been the most durable player—he has missed 15 of 64 starts with injury—and his 58.6 percent completion rate confirms he hasn’t been the most accurate either.

The reason the Rams would be smart to address the offense early is simple: They’ll have a very tough time winning the NFC West without an offensive upgrade. They might get lucky and win it once, but the consistency of offensive play just isn’t there. In the past six meetings against the cream of the division, Seattle and San Francisco, the Rams have scored 9, 9 and 13 points (against Seattle) and 13, 11 and 16 against the Niners. That’s 11.8 points a game against the teams you have to beat to win the division … and just four touchdowns in six very important games.

If you’re the Rams, do you want to rely on holding potent offenses to 10 points a game? Or do you want to give your team a chance to win when the defense has just a B-minus day? Right now, the Rams, with Tavon Austin and Chris Givens and Austin Pettis, have a passable receiver group. It would be sad if the team went 7-9 or something like that this year, and Bradford struggled, and the front office would have to make the call on keeping him or not next February. They’d have to judge based on a good but not great group of wideouts. Adding Watkins to the mix would give Bradford no more reason to be mediocre.

On the line, Jake Long is being held together by baling wire at left tackle, and when will the Rams have a better chance to draft his successor than with the second pick in a line-rich draft? Taking another piece for the line could give the team Long and the prospect Joe Barksdale at tackle for the season, with Rodger Saffold and, say, Robinson or Martin inside for at least one year while they learn the pro game.

My feeling is based on the fact that the Steel Curtain of the mid-seventies Steelers comes along once in a generation. The Rams have Chris Long and Robert Quinn, a formidable rush duo. They need a much better offense more than they need a formidable rush trio.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Not too shabby Petey, thanks for adding value journalism to our Rams unlike most.

But yeah back to that question...what to do or (not to) do at #2. Fuck if I know call up Inspector Gadget for his take. I just know we'll be surprised with elation!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Meh.

He neglects the fact that Rams held the NFCW to very low scoring without Greg Williams, with a soft pass coverage, and weak safety.

Now add Clowney AND a good FS?

Please.

My best draft is Clowney then Evans. OL can wait.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Hey its better than Jeremiah's Rams to Manziel connection or 95% of the now regurgitated fermundo cheese sources are saying post consumer douche flushes. :p

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Funny. King chose a round about way of saying he thinks Snead will make a mistake.

Totally BS. But that's par for the course at this time.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Meh.

He neglects the fact that Rams held the NFCW to very low scoring without Greg Williams, with a soft pass coverage, and weak safety.

Now add Clowney AND a good FS?

Please.

My best draft is Clowney then Evans. OL can wait.

Glad I wasnt the only 1 thinkin that the Rams D doesnt face any O juggernauts in the division. It seems krapondick and wilson both struggle against the Rams Dline, Palmer played pretty good against that soft coverage though. I think the Rams D is good enough to win the division and if the WRs stop droppin balls the O will be there also, but I would like to see Watkins added to the group. I wouldnt be disappointed with an upgrade on the OL either, ZS could have a stellar season if the OL stays healthy and opens up some holes on a consistent basis.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Ho hum. Just another perspective that limits the draft and personnel acquisition to the first round of the NFL draft.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Whatever, I for one am in total agreement with the need for the Rams to upgrade their offense. For those who base their opinions upon whether or not the division has opponents with greater offensive capability or not are missing a critical point....while it may be relatively accurate that defense's win championships, it (usually) requires the ability to match high output offenses along the way in order to get there!

IMO, the Rams need to improve their offensive output by 7 points a game to be competitive (on the road) and against other opponents outside of their division.

In 1999 the Rams faced a T. Bay team that gave up a total of 159 points during the regular season, that's 9.9 points a game folks. Looking back, would you trade their points per game D versus the GSOT?