What this 52year old Ram fan likes about McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
As a lifelong Ram fan who's introduction into what a coach should be was George Allen, Sean McVay has quickly become my second favorite Ram HC BEFORE training camp has even begun (Dick V #1). Some people in life simply have "it" and I've been fortunate enough to see "it" before "it" was generally recognized. In sports, I saw the ferocity of Allen Iverson at Georgetown and predicted he would be a Hall of Fame pro. I saw "it" in LaDanian Tomlinson at the Senior Bowl and predicted he was already the second best back in the NFL (behind Faulk). I called JT "The Brick" on his radio show in '99 and predicted the Rams would be a playoff team only to be hung up on and ridiculed a handful of times on the air before the regular season began. I saw Nirvana perform in a dive bar in Seattle before they were famous and I just knew they were special.

Sean McVay is the NFL's version of Gregg Popovich. Ten years from now, he will be thought of the way Steeler fans reminisce about Bill Cowher. Why?

Sean McVay is a born leader with football DNA nurtured by an environment that developed his intuition to a razor's edge. The man is a human sponge who reads extensively, investigates thoroughly, absorbs even the smallest minutiae, communicates quickly and clearly, plans everything before he executes, has an unreal energy level and a long ranged maturity that belies his age. His leadership style is inclusive and values the experience of others. He understands the politics inherent to the position from the top down. He's never stumped by a media question. He views himself and his team as a growing concern that requires daily investment. He values the wisdom of the past while he simultaneously seeks innovations to promote a better future.

These are all bold statements I reserve for few people and I've studied thousands. Because of this, I will now point out his opportunities to grow. As an offensive coordinator, he tended to fall in love with his passing attack and therefore saw a diminished production in the red zone. Part of that is a product of the players he coached and the background of his fellow coaches. Aaron Kromer's hire indicates he understands this and may become his most important hire. He seems to understand the danger coaches like Vermeil and Allen faced in terms of allowing the passion to turn into a personally unhealthy obsession because he admits his girlfriend has to encourage him to unplug...and he occasionally listens. What he does well is absorb information, what we don't know is the extent of his original thoughts. Da Vinci, John Lennon, Tesla, Carrell, and Zampese innovated their fields. At this stage it's difficult to see if McVay has that ability.

To say that he is not the football version of Picasso is not really a criticism though. Martz became so enamored with his creativity and aggressiveness that he occasionally ignored the obvious (much like Shanahan did in the last Super Bowl). I'm willing to put this on the line now and expect others to hold me accountable, but over the next couple years, McVay will be the most respected coach in the league not name Belichick.

Bet

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Well articulated, good sir. I agree with everything you said.

My one improvement for him, if you will, which will come with time, would be shortening his responses and being extra careful as to not reveal any cues or insider tidbits that opponents might pick up on. Again, that'll come with experience and results.

Go McVay GO RAMS!!!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As a lifelong Ram fan who's introduction into what a coach should be was George Allen, Sean McVay has quickly become my second favorite Ram HC BEFORE training camp has even begun (Dick V #1). Some people in life simply have "it" and I've been fortunate enough to see "it" before "it" was generally recognized. In sports, I saw the ferocity of Allen Iverson at Georgetown and predicted he would be a Hall of Fame pro. I saw "it" in LaDanian Tomlinson at the Senior Bowl and predicted he was already the second best back in the NFL (behind Faulk). I called JT "The Brick" on his radio show in '99 and predicted the Rams would be a playoff team only to be hung up on and ridiculed a handful of times on the air before the regular season began. I saw Nirvana perform in a dive bar in Seattle before they were famous and I just knew they were special.

Sean McVay is the NFL's version of Gregg Popovich. Ten years from now, he will be thought of the way Steeler fans reminisce about Bill Cowher. Why?

Sean McVay is a born leader with football DNA nurtured by an environment that developed his intuition to a razor's edge. The man is a human sponge who reads extensively, investigates thoroughly, absorbs even the smallest minutiae, communicates quickly and clearly, plans everything before he executes, has an unreal energy level and a long ranged maturity that belies his age. His leadership style is inclusive and values the experience of others. He understands the politics inherent to the position from the top down. He's never stumped by a media question. He views himself and his team as a growing concern that requires daily investment. He values the wisdom of the past while he simultaneously seeks innovations to promote a better future.

These are all bold statements I reserve for few people and I've studied thousands. Because of this, I will now point out his opportunities to grow. As an offensive coordinator, he tended to fall in love with his passing attack and therefore saw a diminished production in the red zone. Part of that is a product of the players he coached and the background of his fellow coaches. Aaron Kromer's hire indicates he understands this and may become his most important hire. He seems to understand the danger coaches like Vermeil and Allen faced in terms of allowing the passion to turn into a personally unhealthy obsession because he admits his girlfriend has to encourage him to unplug...and he occasionally listens. What he does well is absorb information, what we don't know is the extent of his original thoughts. Da Vinci, John Lennon, Tesla, Carrell, and Zampese innovated their fields. At this stage it's difficult to see if McVay has that ability.

To say that he is not the football version of Picasso is not really a criticism though. Martz became so enamored with his creativity and aggressiveness that he occasionally ignored the obvious (much like Shanahan did in the last Super Bowl). I'm willing to put this on the line now and expect others to hold me accountable, but over the next couple years, McVay will be the most respected coach in the league not name Belichick.

Bet

Well if you connect the dots on The Rams signings it makes sense. The coaching staff is kick butt. What a excellent mix. Talk about a coaching tree. It does have a little Cleveland (Baltimore)Browns type feel to it .
Just more on the offensive side of it.

I'll say The Rams will make the playoffs.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Love the optimism, I still standby playing wait and see until the results are on the W-L column. Years of losing after hyping myself that this team's gonna turn around has made me jaded.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I honestly do not think I have missed a second of a sound byte from Mcvay. This guy certainly has it!

Every interview I see with this guy I walk away going, really!? Can you imagine being an employer with an interviewee answering questions with such confidence and demeanor.

What really surprised me is Mcvay left Washington and they have basically had a complete overhaul of the offense. Won't extend Kirt. Let the receivers go. Let some staff go. etc. What does that say about Mcvay? Jay Gruden?