What the Senior Bowl practices have me thinking about the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What the Senior Bowl practices have me thinking about the Rams
227364_3fe79d9dda3a440bba17f43a8d098b83~mv2_d_3300_2200_s_2.webp

It's been a fun week for me meeting with different players, NFL personalities, and friends. However, it hasn't just been a social thing, there is serious work to do and here is what I've seen and what I believe could make sense for the Los Angeles Rams in the draft.

Say no to QB unless you can get value
227364_609fe0b72a93412aa27866d364eba856~mv2.jpg

upload_2018-1-25_3-36-42.gif

Look, I get it. You like Sean Mannion a lot or don't and of course, the Rams did add Brandon Allen mid-season to the roster. Hear me out, this organization has a new regime aside from a few coaches Sean McVay decided to keep. With that being said, McVay is going to want his own QB. I think when you look at the QB crop you can find some intriguing late round talent this season. During my two days at the practices, I've seen good things from Virginia QB Kurt Benkert on day one and Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta today on day two. I can't imagine Luke Falk falling but if he did that would also be an option. The reason I bring this up is not to take anything away from anyone but simply give you an idea of who could be targeted if McVay wanted his own QB to develop behind Goff.

Quarterbacks are currency. Let us not forget how the Patriots traded away two potential franchise QB's behind Tom Brady for assets. The Rams could do the same and there is no reason why they shouldn't with three sixth-round picks slated to them at the end of the draft.

Body type does not matter when you can catch passes like Ballage
227364_ae2ce12dbfd640f6b22c3ab48629332e~mv2_d_3200_1680_s_2.jpg

Kalen Ballage is a former Arizona State RB that was never really given a ton of opportunity. When you watch the film the one thing that sticks out is that Ballage goes down easier than he should. However, this week he showed that he is a quick cut back with the smoothest route running ability of the RB group and it's gotten me to the point of wondering if he could fill the Chris Thompson role. Yes, Thompson is small but when you look at Ballage at 6-foot-3, he does the job just as well as a 5-foot-8 guy would. You instantly see guys like David Johnson, Derrick Henry, Jordan Howard and DeMarco Murray in his game.

It's a little unorthodox but the Rams really could consider Ballage if he fell into day three as the guy to play behind Gurley. If he wasn't such a good route runner with great hands I would say otherwise. However, I know what I saw, I saw pure dominance from Ballage in Mobile and he really looked like a man amongst boys in all of the RB drills even the special teams' drill. You have to consider him.

Wide receiver is a question mark if Sammy Watkins leaves but there are "solutions"
227364_7bf008eddb4546979d149bd5eefcfdd4~mv2.jpg

There are solutions to a certain extent if the Rams let Sammy Watkins walk away in free agency and if they aren't as high on Josh Reynolds to take over. I recently mentioned Jaleel Scott and what his big-bodied frame brings to the table. I saw the same body control that really intrigued me on his film but I saw him have a hard time separating at times and playing to his physical build. I would like to see more of a 6-foot-4 and 200-plus pounder dominating his man with physicality but I didn't really see too much of that. Scott still would be a nice addition in day three if Watkins leaves.

Other options include guys like Penn State's DaeSean Hamilton who has been great this week after being called up, Oklahoma State's James Washington who has roasted the defensive backs all week for the most part, Colorado State's Michael Gallup who is always able to create separation and has had a nice week as well and I would say D.J. Clark from LSU is a deep threat that could be Ted Ginn-like. Say what you will about Ginn, but that is not a bad thing if you have someone like that who can stretch the field.

Overall, the best fit would likely be DaeSean Hamilton, I think he is still a possibility in the early portion of day three, he's someone that can win on the inside or the outside, he runs the smoothest routes in the WR group and has some great hands. Hamilton has really gone against the grain this week, receiving passes from QB's that have been pretty inaccurate thus far. Hamilton seems to be the most intriguing and the best option but there are players here at the Senior Bowl that are worthy. You could also make arguments for J'Mon Moore from Missouri, Byron Pringle from Kansas State and Justin Watson from UPenn. It will be very interesting. It will also depend heavily on what the Rams do with Watkins.

Tight end isn't a need but Mike Gesicki is quite the weapon
227364_02c9f61edaa14048aee7388d8a67c328~mv2.jpg

There is no way the Rams would go tight end again right? Well, I thought that but then the news comes out that the Rams have met with three tight ends at the Senior Bowl. The list includes Central Michigan's Tyler Conklin, Notre Dame's Durham Smythe and Ian Thomas from Indiana. If the Rams find this position such a need, maybe they should consider a trade down in the first to recoup a second round pick and draft either Gesicki or non-Senior Bowl TE Mark Andrews from Oklahoma.

Personally, I don't really understand the need for a tight end right now, especially with the possibility of Jordan Reed being let go due to his health and inconsistency. Gesicki is so smooth with his route running, he's got a great build for a big-play TE and has the speed and fluidity to play the position. His blocking is also not bad at all and he would be listed as my TE1 if I had to decide right now. Again, not saying drafting another tight end makes much sense.

Where do you look? Do you upgrade guard or prepare for the future at left tackle and or center?
227364_23ab9f82a2c44d77804a84608b61e5ed~mv2_d_3954_2740_s_4_2.jpeg

Andrew Whitworth is 36-years old, John Sullivan is 32 years-old and Jamon Brown is a solid starter but could be upgraded. So what decision do the Rams make? Is there a wrong one? During an NFL Network interview at the Senior Bowl day two practices, Rams GM Les Snead said that he has seen no drop-off in Whitworth's play and wouldn't be surprised to see him play until he's 39 like Julius Peppers. That is all nice and all but there is a possibility Whitworth suffers the unfortunate injury that Joe Thomas suffered this year or his play just randomly hits the fan like former Rams RB Steven Jackson after he went to the Atlanta Falcons. It's not impossible. Insert Tyrell Crosby, a left tackle from Oregon that has looked very impressive this week in Mobile. He looks like the best OT by far and would offer the Rams the opportunity to replace Whitworth with someone who might be ready to play day one for the long-term. Brian O'Neil from Pittsburgh looked very good at tackle as well, there are guys there. Later value guys could include TCU tackle, Joe Noteboom. The question remains what position do you go, or do you try and press your luck with fingers crossed type of year banking on an almost 37-year old Whitworth and almost 33-year old Sullivan.

With Sullivan, there is a good chance the Rams might like their in-house options. Austin Blythe and Jake Eldrenkamp would be the short-term options in my mind but could make adequate starters if called upon. When you look at what the offensive line veterans possess, it's leadership and the ability to mentor these young guys. Still, though, Mason Cole from Michigan would not be a bad bet at center, even if you wanted to bring back Sullivan for another year.

With that all being said guard is the most interesting. As good as Jamon Brown played last year, it's still not guaranteed to be enough to retain his starting spot on the Rams top 10 roster in football. That's where players like Georgia's Isaiah Wynn, UTEP's Will Hernandez and maybe even Humboldt State's Alex Cappa who has been the talk among the draft circles. Cappa could play either right tackle or guard. Now, one issue that goes unsaid is Rob Havenstein at the right tackle position and trying to stifle speed rushers. Well, that comes to no avail. Havenstein is another solid player but if Brown's job isn't safe, let's not assume Havenstein's is. I actually was thinking of a scenario where the Rams move Havenstein back to guard, use Jamon Brown as their "sixth-man" and draft Tyrell Crosby to play right tackle and groom to eventually take over at left for Whitworth. The one guy I didn't mention was Robert Saffold, the reason for that is because he might be the best offensive lineman on the team. He had a fantastic year and surprisingly stayed healthy for just about the whole season.

The Rams lack of a second-round pick will definitely test their limits of a potential draft pick on an offensive lineman that high.
Project with the rare upside or the NFL ready prospect with a limited ceiling on the EDGE?
227364_7bef37310c4c41dfb5198fd294fe6dc7~mv2_d_3109_2069_s_2.jpg

UTSA's Marcus Davenport has left me with more questions than answers but maybe I am just overthinking. Davenport is still raw and has immense potential but he still did struggle against that top notch competition when Alex Cappa literally tossed him too the ground. He's a powerful athletic freak on the EDGE and the issue could clearly be that he is not a 4-3 DE type of player and can only stand up but even so, it's not going to be a seamless transition. Tons of tools are possessed by Davenport but we need to be able to convince ourselves he can contribute at a high level this upcoming season and I don't know how realistic that is. The same could be said for Oklahoma's Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. I love the guy, he's shown off a toolbox of pass rush moves but with Okoronkwo you are looking at someone that can be rather inconsistent and can be eaten up at times. Another thing, with the Rams, if they draft an edge rusher they are going to need to set the edge and help in the run defensive game. I am not confident yet, that Okoronkwo can consistently do that.

Now, going away from the Senior Bowl a little, I started to feel like Harold Landry of Boston College might be that guy that makes the most sense for the Rams. This is a team that is really going to have to "pay up" When QB Jared Goff, RB Todd Gurley and others start asking for contract extensions. We already know Aaron Donald wants to be paid. So, what does that tell me? The Rams might want to stick with a little bit of a "win now" approach since the future is not guaranteed. Landry is someone that can play day one and make an impact on a team that just went 11-5. While Davenport has a limitless amount of potential, Landry might be best for a team that might need to put a team together in a hurry that will make it at least until the big guys need to be extended.

While it could be straight up over-reaction, the question does make you wonder. Can you say with confidence that Davenport makes the Rams better right out of the gate in his rookie season or do they have to go with someone like Landry? That's the question. It's based on preference and what the coaches estimate on the development time for the higher ceiling player.

We have no idea what the Rams are doing at ILB next to Ogletree but there are plenty of prospects that could fill the role.
227364_96c39a6ada7a476bac28aab5c079ef62~mv2_d_5184_3456_s_4_2.jpg

In Mobile, BYU's ILB Fred Warner was popping off the field. He's someone I had not really given enough attention too and then all of the sudden it seemed like everyone was starting to feel the same way. Warner has the mental processing to really thrive in this league if he was just an average athlete. However, this is an above average athlete, a guy that shows off range and football IQ. Again, we have no idea what the fate of ILB is in Los Angeles but if they decide to make Mark Barron a cap casualty, Warner is a legitimate option to start. As many of you know, I love Virginia Tech's Tremaine Edmunds, but now it seems like he might go top 15 which puts him out of the Rams range. Warner could be a cheaper option with that same type of athleticism.

The last option at the Senior Bowl is South Carolina State's Darius Leonard who has some of the longest arms you will find and Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network compared him to Pro Bowl LB Telvin Smith. There's a chance he would fall into the day three territory and be a real value pick for the Rams. Is this a guy that can't start day one? Not sure, but I wouldn't count out him or Warner to the Rams. It all depends on what they do with Barron. They like him, but is it enough to avoid the cap casualty? That's the question we need answered and we will see answered soon.

Why pay Trumaine Johnson or anyone a ton of money when you might be able to find someone just as talented or even with more potential?
227364_755589b92e2945669edef03a4b788885~mv2.jpg

I love Trumaine, I ultimately have way too hard of a time imagining him gone. Johnson is physical and he's a sound tackler so it would be hard to let him go especially with Kayvon Webster coming off a ruptured Achilles, Torn Rotator Cuff and a Torn Labrum in his shoulder. I liked what you saw out of Kevin Peterson and especially Troy Hill towards the end of the season but how much confidence do you have in them to be the guys? It's no surprise even if Johnson stays that the Rams need help at cornerback. Well, I have liked what I have seen from a few guys at the Senior Bowl that might be great fits.

UNC CB MJ Stewart seems like one of the best options here. He measured shorter than people wanted but the height doesn't bother me. When you look at Chris Harris Jr. in Denver measuring at 5-foot-9 and then you see his body of work, you quickly forget about the size and just look at the production. Stewart is what I would call a "pest" in coverage. He sticks to his receivers like glue and is earning himself a ton of money in Mobile. He has the ability to flip his hips with ease and accelerate. When you look at Stewart this is someone that could work on the outside or the slot. I watched him in one on one's on the outside and he man-handled everyone he faced, just about. Stewart did not lose a single battle I watched him in this week so far. It would be interesting because Nickell Robey-Coleman is a free agent and if the Rams lost him and kept Johnson, Stewart could very well be asked to play nickel. I think he is going to thrive, the problem is do you feel comfortable drafting him in the second or third? Some don't but that might be the price it costs to get a guy like that.

Dubuque CB Michael Joseph has been extremely impressive. I met with him and as we said to each other "competition is competition". Sure, Joseph comes from a D3 school, but that doesn't mean he can't hang with the best of the best. He certainly has the size at 6-foot-1 and sub-200 pounds to play on the outside. He got beat a couple of times on Wednesday but he has the physicality to succeed in the league. Where will he go in the draft? Likely day three, expect the same type of treatment he gets as Lindenwood CB Pierre Desir got. Sometimes, teams just don't feel comfortable going out of their way for a player like that. Joseph has the ball skills and the hard-hitting ability to be a nightmare for defenses, it also would help if he played in Wade Phillips scheme.

Lastly, someone that can play outside, inside or even safety Siran Neal from Jacksonville State has the size but can get a little grabby at times. He has some serious talent and the tools to become a very good defensive back. When I asked him who he modeled his game after, Neal said "Tyrann Mathieu" someone that can play all over the secondary. That is exactly what Neal wants to do whether it's outside corner, nickel or safety. Having a ready and willing versatile player is considered an asset. Neal is sticky in coverage and has that confidence that makes him a threat. This is someone again, he has tools and he is the perfect developmental secondary player for Wade. Neal would likely be comfortable playing press coverage as a corner for the Rams. Probably a day three pick but you never know with these small-school prospects. It just takes that one team to like them. The Rams picked quite a few last year.

No way do the Rams not bring back Joyner...right?
227364_3ec20c379f5e4869ac347168922d25f5~mv2.jpg

I don't know the answer here but the history of the Rams says it's not a good chance. Sure, it's a new regime but let's not forget safeties like Rodney McLeod not being brought back. Joyner made himself a ton of money by switching to safety and becoming a top-five player at that position seemingly overnight. Now, it's going to be a struggle for the Rams. What direction do they go in? Well, if they don't bring back Joyner, they just interviewed Hawaii safety Trayvon Henderson who has looked great in coverage at the Senior Bowl and has legitimate ball skills. Often raved about for his hard work ethic and coach-ability, Henderson finds himself as a potential target for the Rams. There are certainly other players like Virginia's Quin Blanding who came in at 6-foot-2 and would have the ball skills and coverage skills to play free safety. Armani Watts of Texas A&M has made plays including some loud collisions in which he smashed Akrum Wadley to the ground that got everyone going nuts. West Virginia's Kyzir White and Penn State's Marcus Allen round out what is a deep safety

The bottom line is once again, there are options. The Senior Bowl has provided me with a lens that shows the world will not end if any of these Rams are let go of or they leave on their own or they are signed. The Rams are in a good spot, the new regime did not draft Joyner or Johnson and not to say they don't deserve to be on the team but if the Rams want better fits for Wade's defense, then, by all means, they will find them.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-25_3-36-6.gif
    upload_2018-1-25_3-36-6.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 117

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ballage reminds me of Latavius Murray as a runner. He's a much better pass-catcher, though. I like him on Day 3. He'll carve out a role in the NFL.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ballage reminds me of Latavius Murray as a runner. He's a much better pass-catcher, though. I like him on Day 3. He'll carve out a role in the NFL.
I definitely agree. I think he would be a great addition.

Name
Rod
I absolutely expect Snead to trade out of the first round. I think his style is to get out of the first and have more picks in later rounds. Seems like I remember him saying something like, I do better in later rounds.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I absolutely expect Snead to trade out of the first round. I think his style is to get out of the first and have more picks in later rounds. Seems like I remember him saying something like, I do better in later rounds.
Its the right move.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just comments now on the offensive side of the ball.

What the Senior Bowl practices have me thinking about the Rams.
"Quarterbacks are currency. ...... there is no reason why they shouldn't with three sixth-round picks slated to them at the end of the draft."

Excellent points here on QB's are smart way to diversify the Rams investments & adding to the future total worth assets... jake I would say that investing in good young prospects on the 3rd day of the draft is always something to hope to discover when digging for GOLD in the late draft. Mannion will be a UFA next year @ this same point.No better time to get McVay his first opportunity @ Goff's future back up that in May of this draft. I see no up side to keeping Mannion here after this season. Plus he has a serious issues trying to overcome the bar set by former Ram back ups like Case Keenum & Nick Foles. Who knows Mannion might get the Rams some serious trade offers after seeing what Fisher did for Case & Nick.

"Wide receiver is a question mark if Sammy Watkins leaves but there are "solutions"
I do not consider our overall Ram collection of Pass Receivers that are under contract Questionable if Watkins does not return as you commented. I do not see any issues here period. Snead in 2 drafts & FA'cy & McVay after 1 daft & 1 FA'cy completely turned what was one of the worse overall cadre of ball catchers into one of the most promising units. We have the most dangerous PR'ing RB in all the NFL his back up Brown also excels @ PR'ing. Snead & McVay have Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Reynolds & Thomas under contract for the next 3 seasons.

"Personally, I don't really understand the need for a tight end right now, especially with the possibility of Jordan Reed being let go due to his health and inconsistency." If they find the TE a position of need that means Snead & McVay crewed up big that Gerald Everett our top 2017 selection is trending towards bust fodder material. Our TE's are very young with previous investments of 3 draft selections the last 2 drafts. Everett & Hemingway are not even out of the purchased wrappings yet & we have not had the opportunity to run all 3 of them in a regular season NFL game.Way too early to be-looking at utilizing our 2 draft selections on the first two days of the draft on offensive players.

"Where do you look? Do you upgrade guard or prepare for the future at left tackle and or center?"
I might be of the opinion that if Snead is happy & content has no concerns with his OL's current future trending... he is soon to join Jeff Fisher in the NFL discarded Unemployment line. Four of his 2017 starters will be involved in FA'cy from now till next season. He has ZERO reserve OT's on his roster & only one real reliable reserve OL'er. Snead has the oldest starting LT in the NFL last season with the next closest active LT standing in week #17 was 33 yr old Stanley of the 9er's. If Snead & McVay continue with this thought :huh:then Goff is destined to join Sam Bradford type contingent of injury after injury. Snead payed a part for 3 yrs with Sam Bradford sorry OL events. The biggest ingredient to the Rams rise from trash to its Wild Card loss was the OL good health which was the best in the NFL!

Snead has a very poor past resume on his abilities to field solid healthy working OL's. Five "Fail Modes" & only 1 success. Fact is Snead/Fisher & Boudreau:admin: fielded some of the worse NFL OL's in recent modern history & I would have hoped that he realizes that his many past OL disasters can quickly return & all the 2017 praise & fame that has filled his head will fade from memory fast to demise.The Rams better be digging deep to find a trio of GOLD NUGGETS on the 3rd day of the draft to secure some OT prospects that can play inside as well.

The last segment was harsh on Snead so I need to end with a softener. Snead was also greatly responsible for the 2017 OL success Ol'ers Whitworth, Sullivan, Blythe. HC McVay & OL Coach Kromer Huge one season improvement.(y)

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its the right move.

It could be the right move. If the right player is there, I say to hell with the extra picks, but that's not guaranteed. It seems like there's usually not a huge talent drop off between picks 20 and 40. If we can move down and end up with a similarly talented player, we might as well do it.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
At 23, rams cant get back a 2nd rounder and stay in the 1st round. Best case would be a team giving up a 3rd rounder, most likely after pick 90 or so, In 2013, rams were at 22, moved to 30 after a trade with atlanta, got back pick 92 and a 6th rounder.

Seattle last year moved from pick 26 to pick 35, picking up extra picks in rounds 3, 4, 6, 7.

Also, staying in the first round gives the rams the ability to use the 5th year option on the drafted player. Sure comes in handy at times for that to be available.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Just comments now on the offensive side of the ball.

"Quarterbacks are currency. ...... there is no reason why they shouldn't with three sixth-round picks slated to them at the end of the draft."

Excellent points here on QB's are smart way to diversify the Rams investments & adding to the future total worth assets... jake I would say that investing in good young prospects on the 3rd day of the draft is always something to hope to discover when digging for GOLD in the late draft. Mannion will be a UFA next year @ this same point.No better time to get McVay his first opportunity @ Goff's future back up that in May of this draft. I see no up side to keeping Mannion here after this season. Plus he has a serious issues trying to overcome the bar set by former Ram back ups like Case Keenum & Nick Foles. Who knows Mannion might get the Rams some serious trade offers after seeing what Fisher did for Case & Nick.

"Wide receiver is a question mark if Sammy Watkins leaves but there are "solutions"
I do not consider our overall Ram collection of Pass Receivers that are under contract Questionable if Watkins does not return as you commented. I do not see any issues here period. Snead in 2 drafts & FA'cy & McVay after 1 daft & 1 FA'cy completely turned what was one of the worse overall cadre of ball catchers into one of the most promising units. We have the most dangerous PR'ing RB in all the NFL his back up Brown also excels @ PR'ing. Snead & McVay have Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Reynolds & Thomas under contract for the next 3 seasons.

"Personally, I don't really understand the need for a tight end right now, especially with the possibility of Jordan Reed being let go due to his health and inconsistency." If they find the TE a position of need that means Snead & McVay crewed up big that Gerald Everett our top 2017 selection is trending towards bust fodder material. Our TE's are very young with previous investments of 3 draft selections the last 2 drafts. Everett & Hemingway are not even out of the purchased wrappings yet & we have not had the opportunity to run all 3 of them in a regular season NFL game.Way too early to be-looking at utilizing our 2 draft selections on the first two days of the draft on offensive players.

"Where do you look? Do you upgrade guard or prepare for the future at left tackle and or center?"
I might be of the opinion that if Snead is happy & content has no concerns with his OL's current future trending... he is soon to join Jeff Fisher in the NFL discarded Unemployment line. Four of his 2017 starters will be involved in FA'cy from now till next season. He has ZERO reserve OT's on his roster & only one real reliable reserve OL'er. Snead has the oldest starting LT in the NFL last season with the next closest active LT standing in week #17 was 33 yr old Stanley of the 9er's. If Snead & McVay continue with this thought :huh:then Goff is destined to join Sam Bradford type contingent of injury after injury. Snead payed a part for 3 yrs with Sam Bradford sorry OL events. The biggest ingredient to the Rams rise from trash to its Wild Card loss was the OL good health which was the best in the NFL!

Snead has a very poor past resume on his abilities to field solid healthy working OL's. Five "Fail Modes" & only 1 success. Fact is Snead/Fisher & Boudreau:admin: fielded some of the worse NFL OL's in recent modern history & I would have hoped that he realizes that his many past OL disasters can quickly return & all the 2017 praise & fame that has filled his head will fade from memory fast to demise.The Rams better be digging deep to find a trio of GOLD NUGGETS on the 3rd day of the draft to secure some OT prospects that can play inside as well.

The last segment was harsh on Snead so I need to end with a softener. Snead was also greatly responsible for the 2017 OL success Ol'ers Whitworth, Sullivan, Blythe. HC McVay & OL Coach Kromer Huge one season improvement.(y)
Your replies always blow me away. Thanks man. I appreciate the insight. I think your stuff is really spot on. You sure sound like a writer too ;)

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
At 23, rams cant get back a 2nd rounder and stay in the 1st round. Best case would be a team giving up a 3rd rounder, most likely after pick 90 or so, In 2013, rams were at 22, moved to 30 after a trade with atlanta, got back pick 92 and a 6th rounder.

Seattle last year moved from pick 26 to pick 35, picking up extra picks in rounds 3, 4, 6, 7.

Also, staying in the first round gives the rams the ability to use the 5th year option on the drafted player. Sure comes in handy at times for that to be available.
I would move down to 28 with the Steelers and pick up a late third