What Seahawks fans are saying before the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It’s funny to me how all these fans from around the league, and media for that matter keep saying how Goff was a bust last year.

I never once thought that last year. When you watched the games, if you were an observant fan you knew there was zero blocking up front and 8 man boxes with predictable play calling (along with a Grob penalty) that constantly had us in 3rd and long. Often 3rd and 13ish.

How is any QB with that line breaking down on 3rd and 13 and WR core going to ever convert that.

I never once saw Goff as a bust. I saw huge talent. Great accuracy, great feet and a talented franchise QB.

It amazes me that people can’t understand why Goff’s stats were so bad, and look at him as the problem.

I heard Goff was a "bust" from a lot of Cowboys fans. Understandable since Dak was very good out of the gate, and of course because they're low-football IQ Cowboys fans.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I got emotional watching that. Vin Scully doing play by play....

Serious feels and massive nostalgia. I watched the entire game.

I think I could listen to Curling if Vin Scully did the play by play.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Should be fun for us Rams fans to watch. No more Fisher sitting on a 3 point lead, the O will be looking to score early and often. Make them abandon the run and its time to tie off on wilson.

Ram65

Legend
It’s funny to me how all these fans from around the league, and media for that matter keep saying how Goff was a bust last year.

I never once thought that last year. When you watched the games, if you were an observant fan you knew there was zero blocking up front and 8 man boxes with predictable play calling (along with a Grob penalty) that constantly had us in 3rd and long. Often 3rd and 13ish.

How is any QB with that line breaking down on 3rd and 13 and WR core going to ever convert that.

I never once saw Goff as a bust. I saw huge talent. Great accuracy, great feet and a talented franchise QB.

It amazes me that people can’t understand why Goff’s stats were so bad, and look at him as the problem.

I agree Tex and will add that the Fisher group didn't teach him how to read NFL defenses. That is the one big area that McVay stressed. Goff had to learn read the defense, make line calls and has a run or pass play to choose from pre snap. He was not given the mental education by the Fisher group. Oh and let's not forget the 12-14 word ancient play calls they used.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/...iff-avril-out-jeremy-lane-doubtful-for-sunday

Seahawks-Rams injury updates: Cliff Avril out, Jeremy Lane doubtful for Sunday
by Kenneth Arthur

In trying to contain the NFL’s number one offense over the first four weeks, the Seattle Seahawks defense will need to overcome the loss of one of their most reliable starters since the 2013 season.

Defensive end Cliff Avril has been ruled out for the game with a neck injury that he suffered in Week 4’s win over the Indianapolis Colts. It’s impossible to say when he will return, but the Seahawks do have a Bye in Week 6.

Seattle may also be without starting cornerback Jeremy Lane, who is doubtful with an ankle injury. Also doubtful (again) is running back C.J. Prosise, who is dealing with a groin issue.

Linebacker Michael Wilhoite (hamstring) is Questionable.

Earl Thomas, Rees Odhiambo, Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin, Luke Joeckel, Jimmy Graham, and Neiko Thorpe were all full participants in practice on Friday. Head coach Pete Carroll also noted this week that Malik McDowell (concussion) could still make his debut this year, while the recently-resigned Quinton Jefferson broke his hand on Monday and could miss a month.

Without Avril, it will mean more opportunities for Frank Clark, who is already among the NFL leaders in QB pressures this season despite being a rotational defensive lineman. Also needing to step up will be Shaquill Griffin, if Lane is ruled out, as well as Justin Coleman, who had a pick-six against the Colts.
-------
Next man up. . .. . F-the Rams.
Get’r done !! Time to take control of the division.
-------
I hate playing the Rams.
I swear we’d be better off just putting in the 3rd & 4th stringers for the entire game. Let the Rams injure them instead of our starters and their primary backups. Gahhh.
---------
Well, Fisher's gone. I'm really hoping he was the sole source of the Rams curse over the Seahawks.
Tomorrow will be telling. . . .for both teams.
-------
That's Donald's job now.
--------
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139865&sid=f132e537ef7b73e1bc3e2ea648c13b61

Seahawks/Rams stats

DEFENSE

RUSH YPG #1 Broncos 50.8 ypg/2.4 ypc

Seattle 134 ypg/27th
Rams 151 ypg/30th
----------------------------------------------

PASS YPG #1 Jaguars 147 ypg

Seattle 184 ypg/4th
Rams 216.2 ppg/13th

PPG #1 Bills 13.5 PPG

Seattle 19.2 PPG/tied 10th
Rams 26.2 PPG/28th

OFFENSE

PASSING #1 Patriots 320 YPG

Seahawks 240 YPG/13th
Rams 270 YPG/5th

PASS PLAYS 20+ yards #1 Patriots with 24

Seattle 14
Rams 21

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... on/defense

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're going to injure someone, can it please be Frank Clark? He's a woman-beating turd.

Ants

Starter
Nov. 4, 1979 the LA Rams D set the record for least yards allowed in a game, against the Seattle Seahawks. Seahawks' total offense that day was -7 yards.

I thought it was +12 total yards...whatever - close enough!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If we're going to injure someone, can it please be Frank Clark? He's a woman-beating turd.

Not going to lie: I want one of our O-lineman to go helmet on knee with Frank Clark, and I've wanted it ever since he was drafted.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not going to lie: I want one of our O-lineman to go knee on knee with Frank Clark, and I've wanted it ever since he was drafted.

Whitworth seems like a man up to the task, he's built Ram tough.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
This game with the freakin' chickens somewhat reminds me of the whiners game in '99. at that time, I was thinking this game vrs those whiners will decide if the Rams were for reals or not. It was like a playoff game to me. They just kept doing what they had been doing the previous 4 or 5 games, only better.Bruce and Holt along with Faulk destroyed them.
If these Rams can do the same tomorrow, then look out. Anything is possible if we can stay healthy
Oh yeah, freak those dipstick, toothless water haulers for fans in Seattle too:rolllaugh::redcard:.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/...iff-avril-out-jeremy-lane-doubtful-for-sunday

Seahawks-Rams injury updates: Cliff Avril out, Jeremy Lane doubtful for Sunday
by Kenneth Arthur

In trying to contain the NFL’s number one offense over the first four weeks, the Seattle Seahawks defense will need to overcome the loss of one of their most reliable starters since the 2013 season.

Defensive end Cliff Avril has been ruled out for the game with a neck injury that he suffered in Week 4’s win over the Indianapolis Colts. It’s impossible to say when he will return, but the Seahawks do have a Bye in Week 6.

Seattle may also be without starting cornerback Jeremy Lane, who is doubtful with an ankle injury. Also doubtful (again) is running back C.J. Prosise, who is dealing with a groin issue.

Linebacker Michael Wilhoite (hamstring) is Questionable.

Earl Thomas, Rees Odhiambo, Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin, Luke Joeckel, Jimmy Graham, and Neiko Thorpe were all full participants in practice on Friday. Head coach Pete Carroll also noted this week that Malik McDowell (concussion) could still make his debut this year, while the recently-resigned Quinton Jefferson broke his hand on Monday and could miss a month.

Without Avril, it will mean more opportunities for Frank Clark, who is already among the NFL leaders in QB pressures this season despite being a rotational defensive lineman. Also needing to step up will be Shaquill Griffin, if Lane is ruled out, as well as Justin Coleman, who had a pick-six against the Colts.
-------
Next man up. . .. . F-the Rams.
Get’r done !! Time to take control of the division.
-------
I hate playing the Rams.
I swear we’d be better off just putting in the 3rd & 4th stringers for the entire game. Let the Rams injure them instead of our starters and their primary backups. Gahhh.
---------
Well, Fisher's gone. I'm really hoping he was the sole source of the Rams curse over the Seahawks.
Tomorrow will be telling. . . .for both teams.
-------
That's Donald's job now.
--------
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139865&sid=f132e537ef7b73e1bc3e2ea648c13b61

Seahawks/Rams stats

DEFENSE

RUSH YPG #1 Broncos 50.8 ypg/2.4 ypc

Seattle 134 ypg/27th
Rams 151 ypg/30th
----------------------------------------------

PASS YPG #1 Jaguars 147 ypg

Seattle 184 ypg/4th
Rams 216.2 ppg/13th

PPG #1 Bills 13.5 PPG

Seattle 19.2 PPG/tied 10th
Rams 26.2 PPG/28th

OFFENSE

PASSING #1 Patriots 320 YPG

Seahawks 240 YPG/13th
Rams 270 YPG/5th

PASS PLAYS 20+ yards #1 Patriots with 24

Seattle 14
Rams 21

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... on/defense

Those stats don't bring me a lot of confidence...I'm hoping last week's second half D shows up..I think if they do, this game isn't really close...If the rated D shows up, could be trouble...Have to admit that I'm real tired of hearing this legion of boom shit over the years...I hope the Rams drop HUGE offensive numbers on their ass,,,

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/...ams-tackles-for-loss-todd-gurley-marcus-smith

Seahawks front four need better backfield penetration to stop Todd Gurley and Rams’ attack
Seattle was one of the best defenses on the ground in 2016 but Sheldon Richardson, Michael Bennett and the rest of the defensive line haven’t lived up to their “Death Row” billing in running situations so far this year
by Lars Russell

usa_today_10327576.0.jpg

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams went from objectively the worst offense in the NFL in 2016—dead last in both run and pass DVOA—to one of the better units through four games in 2017: Tops in scoring, second in total yards and yards per play and sixth in Football Outsiders’ efficiency.

Some of the credit for that improvement goes to Jared Goff, who stepped up his performance from a dreadful rookie year to post the 10th-best QBR by dramatically cutting down his interceptions. Goff averaged one pick per start last season but has just one total in this young campaign. Thanks to Goff’s development and Sean McVay’s innovations to the scheme, L.A. has the best passing DVOA in the land right now.

The Rams’ run game is not quite so efficient, with a minus-11.6 percent rating by Football Outsiders that ranks 19th overall. But Goff and the Los Angeles passing attack get tremendous help from Todd Gurley and the Rams’ rushers anyway, who have been solid enough to take much of the load off Goff by affording McVay to call the third-lowest rate of pass attempts in the league—technically it’s the most balanced offense, with a 51-49 percent split.

In turn, this relative run success comes from Los Angeles’s upgraded offensive line. In his rookie year in St. Louis and also last season, Gurley’s runs got stuck in the backfield a remarkably high amount, which pounding probably contributed to Gurley’s sophomore decline: In 2015 Gurley owed his Rookie of the Year award mostly to his own ability to transcend that blocking and burst for 6.7 yards a pop on carries when he got beyond the line of scrimmage.

That might have been unsustainable anyway, or Gurley started to break down, but by 2016 he was last in the league among qualified ball-carriers with just 4.5 yards per attempt on those plays—resulting in 216 yards less than expectation for an NFL-average starter. His open-field rank by Football Outsiders dropped from third to 30th.

The Rams went out and hired left tackle Andre Whitworth and center John Sullivan. Now, with adjusted line yards boosted from the 3.5-3.6 yard range to 4.4, Gurley is enjoying more room to run in the backfield and Richard Sherman, who has watched more film than I, says the holes are more open at the line of scrimmage.

Gurley’s yards per carry is back over four yards overall (from 3.2 in 2016) and Ryan Keiran places Gurley fourth in the league at run production contributing to win percentage, better than formulas like DVOA or DYAR would indicate.

In fact, because L.A. has been in position to run so often, Gurley is the only player in the top five of the NFL in both rushes and OrW-percentage (offensive rushing win percentage). That makes a better case for Gurley as the NFL MVP so far than the traditional counting stats argument.

To bring this around to the Seattle Seahawks, with Seattle’s own offense expected to have trouble getting first downs with its pitiful offensive line against the Rams’ fearsome front group, it will be critical for the Seahawks to limit Gurley’s advancement when Los Angeles has the ball. The aim has to be getting Goff into third and long situations as much as possible, as Mike Chan warns.

View: https://twitter.com/karatemanchan37/status/915753023074455552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fieldgulls.com%2F2017%2F10%2F7%2F16440586%2Fseattle-seahawks-los-angeles-rams-tackles-for-loss-todd-gurley-marcus-smith

Seattle was exceptional at doing just that to Gurley in 2016, holding Gurley to 89 yards across 33 attempts in two games. But again, that was against a different Rams offensive line, and with a different Seahawks defense. The Seahawks were the best run defense in the NFL last year in yards per carry allowed, third in rush defense DVOA, and generated the most expected points from run-stopping in the league.

In 2017, Seattle is second-worst in the league allowing 5 yards flat per rush. Part of that is skewed heavily by several long runs by the San Francisco 49ers and Tennessee Titans—the Seahawks didn’t give up any runs longer than 35 yards a year ago, and only five more than 20 yards—but Football Outsiders adjusts for those unpredictable outliers and still puts Seattle 30th in rush defense DVOA and 18th in adjusted defensive line yards. The Seahawks’ run defense has added negative value, according to expected points.

On its interior rotation, Seattle essentially swapped run-plugging nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin for a more versatile talent in Sheldon Richardson, but Richardson is supposed to be an elite run defender as well so it’s not clear what’s causing the Seahawks woes against the rush apart from missed open-field tackling. What is clear is that it is more than downfield discrepancies:

View: https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/915318954016378880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fieldgulls.com%2F2017%2F10%2F7%2F16440586%2Fseattle-seahawks-los-angeles-rams-tackles-for-loss-todd-gurley-marcus-smith

As Justis Mosqueda highlights, Seattle has generated the fourth-worst tackles for loss per rush. That means the Seahawks are not getting frequent enough penetration past their blockers.

That monstrous defensive line was expected to be eating opponents’ brains in the backfield all season, but the vaunted group has only stopped nine run plays (8.7 percent of rushes) behind the line of scrimmage so far (curiously, six of them came against the boom-and-bust Titans who also maxed out with 100 yards on two other Demarco Murray rushes).

Compare that to the 11.6 rate from a year ago when that slight three-percent-of-all-rushes difference generated a value score relative to league average of plus-6.0—an 11 point swing in TFL percentage value!

That difference can have huge impact on wins and losses because, as Pat Kirwan among others have studied, the difference between second and 10 or more versus second and seven or eight, or between third and seven versus (like Chan says) third and three or four, significantly alters the chances of gaining first downs, adding expected points and other factors that lead to victory. The charts in those links use old data, but the principles remain the same in today’s NFL.

Mosqueda’s parenthetical question expresses how confusing it is for Seattle to be struggling in this regard, and we may find those tackles for loss indeed regress toward a value more similar to 2016’s rate as the season moves on.

However, in the short term, the Seahawks enter this matchup with highly volatile consequences extremely thin on that front four, scrambling to add to the defensive line rotation after Cliff Avril’s and Quinton Jefferson’s injuries in the past week.

Frank Clark is a powerful replacement for Avril on the edge, but when Clark started five games in 2016 during Michael Bennett’s absence Seattle’s run-stopping declined sharply, from three yards per attempt to 4.5, owing to that loss of depth.

That shifts the focus to players like Marcus Smith, an effective contributor last week but still an uncertain variable for now, as the Seahawks try to limit Gurley and control the Los Angeles Rams with their defense.

While many Seattle fans spent all week worried about what havoc Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn might bring to the Seahawks backfield, the game may turn on what kind of damage the shorthanded Death Row defensive line can do to the L.A. ground game.
-------
Gurley got ROTY in part because Rawls was hurt
Rawls was eclipsing Gurley during a 7 game stretch. That’s not a knock on Gurley, just reminding people how special Rawls can be.

As for the issues with the line, they will straighten out. It’s part of going from a veteran core to having 1st and 2nd year linemen in the mix. They aren’t as familiar with the scheme and run fits. I expect to see the numbers improve as the season wears on.
-------
There's time left in the season,
but we need to see Cliff, QJeff, Dion and Malik heal and get game ready.

I want to see Rawls outplay Gurley.

Like Henderson the Rain King, I want, I want…
-------
If Rawls outplays Gurley
I don’t see any reasonable way this game is close.
-------
20 pressures on 33 dropbacks last week
We’ll see if they can produce that against someone other than the Colts – but I honestly haven’t been disappointed with the run defense on a play-in play-out basis. Just stay in your lanes guys, everything will be fine on the run-d front.
-------
TFL?

"Tackles for loss per rush" calculated after 4 football games. Is that a meaningful stat? Average it over 16 games, and compare two teams who played the same schedule and, sure, that seems like an interesting stat if placed alongside some others. But I don’t think it means too much at this point.

That said, have you WATCHED Frank Clark play the last couple of weeks? He is becoming the most disruptive D lineman on our team. He’s likely a higher-impact player than Avril at this point in their careers, and so I don’t think we will miss Avril too much. Frank is just beginning his third year and is getting better every game.

Sheldon Richardson has been with this team for four weeks. He had the experience to step right in, but he’s still getting a feel for Pete Carroll’s schemes and communicating with his new team mates. Expect his quickness to show up as he begins thinking less week by week.

Jaran Reed had likely the best game of his career against the Colts. Along with stuffing the run, he is beginning to get the penetration they have been coaching him on. He’s getting better every game.

I think Rams may be a bit disappointed they didn’t play this Seahawks team a few weeks ago when they were just getting it together. I think this D is ready to play as well as any in the league over the next few weeks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's amazing the faith these guys have in Rawls. Guys been inactive 2 weeks as a healthy scratch. Didn't touch the ball vs the Titans and was 5 carries for 4 yards against the Niners, that team Gurley went for 113 and 2 TD. I know he was good his rookie year before getting hurt. But he stunk last year and has again this year the 1 game he actually was allowed to run the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's amazing the faith these guys have in Rawls. Guys been inactive 2 weeks as a healthy scratch. Didn't touch the ball vs the Titans and was 5 carries for 4 yards against the Niners, that team Gurley went for 113 and 2 TD. I know he was good his rookie year before getting hurt. But he stunk last year and has again this year the 1 game he actually was allowed to run the ball.

We had a lot of faith in Gurley during his bad year last year and after, but I do agree with you that Rawls isn't that good. I was never impressed with him during his great run as a rookie. It seems like a HB has a flukey year every year. Rawls seemed like a guy having a flukey year.

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
I think the RB Rams have to game plan for is McKissic.. kid is fast as fuck

Knock Wilson out of the game and Austin Davis come in..jus sayin