What Redskins Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
In my Fisher conditioned world, I am fully expecting a complete and utter collapse by the Rams because that's what a Fisher team would do. We would win big and look like the best team in football and the next week against a team we should beat, we'd lose 17-3.
Fixed it for you. But yeah still conditioned to expect a loss against an on paper win. Hate that.
Gone are the Cook, Robinsons, Kendricks, Quick and Britt inopportune drops....
Drops can and will happen, but hopefully less drive killing ones... Also no more Keenum late INT for a TD to lose the game either....

So trying to be optimistic and want to see us put up to shut up those Redskin fans.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my Fisher conditioned world, I am fully expecting a complete and utter collapse by the Rams because that's what a Fisher team would do. We would win big and look like the best team in football and the next week against an average team we'd lose 17-3. Someone would get ejected. Greg Robinson would have 56 holding penalties and negate at least one touchdown. Brian Quick or Lance Kendricks would drop an easy touchdown in the endzone.

That is what I'm conditioned to expect this Sunday. If McVay has this team playing like they did last week again I will officially be full onboard, nonstop homer boy for the rest of the season.
I hear (and feel you ) ... but I'm honestly all in on mcvay the kid has something (he is 7 years younger than me I can call him kid ) ... I don't know what the something is .. but he has it

I'm sure down the line there will be head scratchers along the line of how did we lose that game .. or why didn't we run on 4th and 1 on the goaline ...but I'm gonna say it right now

Never has a HC not spags not linehan not fisher given me a confidence and a feeling that mcvay has after one game (heck even pre season ) And by the end of his tenure as HC of the Rams we will bring home a Lombardi

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://es.redskins.com/topic/415977...iction-thread-possible-gauntlet-march/?page=4

Redskins vs Rams Prediction Thread: Possible Gauntlet March?

Here's the Redskins record vs. The Rams since Snyder took over:

Washington Redskins vs. Los Angeles Rams Results

We have faced them 11 times since Dan took over in 1999.

We are 6-5 against them since then and just 2-3 this decade; since 2010.

Rams will even the overall record under Snyder and win their 4th time this decade.

Rams 27
Skins 10
-------
The rams will be confident ... having watched the rams colts game I am convinced the colts are the worst NFL team I have seen .. since the 2011 colts ...

how many games do you get two pick Six plays ... how many times do you get 4 TDS from the special teams and defence ... looking at that 28 points means the rams offence put up 17 points against a putrid colts defence ... they ran with a 1.9 yard average on 33 carries .. even including knee downs that is bad ... what happened to Todd Gurley .

Given this game was over from half time I would have expected this to be the gurley show and yet ... strip away the garish score line the offence of the rams was still meh .

I like match ups in this game . I like the potential of running against Barron and Ogletree .. I thing the Rams Oline is suspect compared to the Eagles and hoping the pass rush we saw this week was not an illusion I expect the Rams to be slapped down ..

Redskins come to town pissed ... Kirk will still play poorly but there will be enough offence to pull out the win ...

Skins 24 rams 10
--------
gotta give the fans some hope before crushing their spirit

so Skins 24 Rams 20
------
A big key to this game is to get a score early, take a lead. Put some instant doubt in the Rams's heads about their Week 1 victory. I would say that it will help quiet the crowd too, however if they only draw 25k-ish to the stadium again, that might not even be needed. (Not to mention every away game I have been to in CA, there have been tons of 'Skins fans at).
-------
I get the concern by some that sans D Jax and Garcon maybe this offense isnt the same. Will see. But the Giants and Carolina games last year were atypical games for the offense. It was a good offense last year.
-------
I have enough of the constant media question regarding Sean McVay. I get it to certain extent but we need to focus on us not the opposition house. I swear the pressers today were 80% McVay / 20% Skins related questions.

I am going to the game (I spend too much money on this team) so I'm sticking to my rule of not predicting the score but I am confident this team will bounce back performance wise.
--------
Has anyone done research on whether Jay Gruden, as an OC or HC, has ever beaten a Wade Phillips' coached defense? That's what worries me most about this game. I get the feeling Wade owns Jay (and it's only going to be magnified with McVay giving him inside info), but I haven't looked into it yet.
--------
Redskins 74, Rams 3
---------
I think we need to consider that football is changing, it's been happening for a few years, and McVay is ahead of the curve and could have done wonders here.
---------
The best way to make a pick is to (try) and eliminate all emotion and hyperbole. This weekly thread is always full of both (which makes it entertaining). But I'll try to keep it robotic.

Redskins 20, Rams 17

This is close to a 50/50 pick for me. But ultimately it wound up being more like 53/47 Redskins. My reasoning;

I generally look to Vegas first, especially when a line is less than 3. Here are some trends to consider....

--Since late 2015 the Redskins have been of the very best teams ATS on the road.

--There is also a strong trend for teams playing at home with a Thursday game looming to NOT cover the spread. Rams play Thursday of next week.

--There is also a little data on teams scoring 40+ one week not covering the following week. This is a little more flimsy and not as solid as the other two though.

Trends are just that. Trends. Far from guarantees. But they provide some data and insight. With the spread sitting at 2.5 it could certainly all hold true and we still lose, 23-22 or something like that. But it points to either a Skins win or very close loss.

Beyond the Vegas stuff, I also think there has been a pretty wild overreaction to the outcomes of both the teams games from last week. Some of the chatter on here about the Rams, McVay, and their Super Bowl prospects are just baffling to me. Jared Goff was AWFUL last year. AWFUL.

He looked better in pre season and he was fine last week, although not asked to do much. While I believe he has likely improved, I do not believe he is even close to where Wentz is at this time and he might still be one of the worst starters in the NFL. I need more than what we saw last week to change my mind on that.

I also believe our defense will play well. Probably about as well as they played last week. Against a weaker offense the results might be a little better. Maybe a few more third down stops and fewer big plays made by the QB on escapes, etc. I don't think our D is ready/capable of domination or winning games 10-9, but I do think they are better and will put a good outing together on Sunday.

I am certainly less confident in the offense and have concerns there like everyone else. I think they will eventually work it out, but doing so in a week is unlikely. My thinking/hope here is that they won't turn it over as often and they will help the D a bit more this week. I could see us struggling to move the chains and I could see a lot of punts. If you are betting the game I'd advise the under before the side.

I think it's probably a pretty boring, slugfest type of game for anyone who doesn't root for the Redskins or Rams. Might be pretty tedious and frustrating. But I also believe we manage to either get a lead or stay very close as opposed to falling behind early again. I think this ratchets the pressure on Goff. Redskins hang on for the W.
-------
Rams 33-10
-------
Lambs - 14
Zebra assists - 7
Skins - 24

Final - Redskins 24, Rams 21

It seems that every time we face a former coach we lose. I can't think of a time in recent history when we've won. Skins turn it around this time and beat Boy Wonder. The Rams played a dreadful Colts team, scored two TD's on D and settled for three field goals. If Kirk calms down, doesn't throw picks and the Oline shows up for once, we should be able to move the ball and score.
--------
20 - 10 Redskins
-------
That is the problem, since we couldn't run against the Eagles we can't run against this DL. Our only hope is Cousins can settle down throw some good balls and the receivers don't drop them. Now on the D side of things, I hope we can frustrate Goff, he is not that good...yet.

Rams 27
Redskins 20

Only because every time I pick us we lose.
default_smile.png

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
In my Fisher conditioned world, I am fully expecting a complete and utter collapse by the Rams because that's what a Fisher team would do. We would win big and look like the best team in football and the next week against an average team we'd lose 17-3. Someone would get ejected. Greg Robinson would have 56 holding penalties and negate at least one touchdown. Brian Quick or Lance Kendricks would drop an easy touchdown in the endzone.

That is what I'm conditioned to expect this Sunday. If McVay has this team playing like they did last week again I will officially be full onboard, nonstop homer boy for the rest of the season.

I know I'm probably the only one with this sentiment, but I don't agree with this.

There were so many other factors (that I've mentioned ad nauseum prior to this) that I cannot blame it all on one coach.

You mention Brian Quick or Lance Kendricks dropping a pass, that is on THEM, not the coach.

Greg Robinson holding is on HIM (and in some cases officiating), not the coach. He was a good run blocker and needed work on his pass pro. Everyone knew that. But I'm going of on a tangent here..

The last coaching staff left a lot more talent for the current guys to work with and it's paying off.

Can we go back to making fun of that Redskins forum now???

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-redskins-offense/?utm_term=.e85bce001aba

It’s easy to blame the line when things go south for the Redskins’ offense
By Master Tesfatsion

imrs.php

From left to right, offensive linemen Morgan Moses, Brandon Scherff, Spencer Long, Shawn Lauvao and Trent Williams had a rough outing in a Week 1 loss to Philadelphia.
(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Being an offensive lineman sounds miserable. Play a nearly perfect game and you’ll seldom be noticed. But slip up and you are squarely in the crosshairs of criticism.

At the moment, it’s the offensive line’s fault that the Redskins stink. Or Hogs 2.0. Scratch that, Vegans 2.0, as some fans have labeled the unit, even though left tackle Trent Williams is the only one on the roster that committed to the dietary lifestyle this offseason.

Washington’s offense didn’t look good in its Week 1 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. That includes, but is not limited to, the offensive line. But it’s sooooo easy to blame the offensive line.

Why is that?

“We’re used to it,” center Spencer Long said as reporters rushed over to speak to Williams, then right tackle Morgan Moses to his right, following Wednesday’s practice. “That’s the way it’s been forever for us since we’ve always been playing.”

Well, the offensive line is the biggest, and most important, unit on the field for an offense. It’s where the play starts, and those five guys play a significant role in the success of that play, without ever recording a yard or a touchdown. But Redskins fans know this, dating back to their obsession with the original Hogs that helped them win Super Bowls after the 1982, ’87 and ’91 seasons.

Back in July, Williams said the Redskins have one of the few fan bases that genuinely appreciate the offensive line “because they’re more deep into sports. The type of fan base that grew up with real football, smart football, savvy. When you’re playing bad, they’ll let you know. When you’re playing good, they’ll let you know. They don’t just show up to the game and do a bunch of screaming for no reason.”

There’s a standard. It’s been established for decades, and especially the past two seasons with this specific unit. The Redskins had allowed the second-fewest sacks (50) in the NFL over the past two seasons entering the season opener. That success made Week 1 stand out all the more when that standard wasn’t met.

Allowing four sacks against the Eagles isn’t good enough, especially against a divisional opponent boasting a solid defensive line. Washington gained just 64 rushing yards. Unacceptable.

And it should be unacceptable. The Redskins’ offense, and its offensive line, has too much talent to produce such an underwhelming effort. A better performance from the offensive line would help, but assigning blame is tricky for those outside the huddle that don’t know an offensive lineman’s assignment on a given play, or the emergency changes when a defender goes unaccounted for by the protection scheme.

Moreover, the criticism often hangs on one or two instances rather than crediting the vast majority of plays when the linemen do their job.

“It’s funny; a defensive tackle can have two good plays the whole game, get dominated, but have two sacks and it’s a good game,” Long said. “He can get pushed back in the run game, whatever like that. If we give up two sacks, and do 98 percent of the snaps outstanding, we had a [expletive] game. A terrible game. That’s just the way our world works. It’s nothing we can do about it. It’s just the way it is.”

The protection stunk on Sunday, but sacks can stem from a variety of factors. The quarterback could hold the ball too long. A running back could have been confused about his blitz assignment.

The running game stunk as well, but that, too, is tricky. It was clear that the offensive line needed to get better in this area heading into the season, and it didn’t appear to do so in Week 1.

But it’s often overlooked if a tight end whiffs on a run-blocking assignment, as it appeared Jordan Reed did on the second play of the game that resulted in a one-yard loss for Chris Thompson, or if a head coach gives its running backs just 13 attempts (compared to 40 pass attempts) in what was a one-score game for over 53 minutes in a 60-minute sport.

When it comes to analyzing a sack or a missed run block, nobody really knows unless an offensive lineman admits his error or casts blame on a teammate. But offensive linemen rarely do the latter. In part it’s because they know, at some point, everyone is going to make a mistake. When you’re moving backward, attempting to stop some of the best athletes on the field running downhill, you’re going to get beat sooner or later.

“You just learn to deal with it,” Long said. “It’s not like we’re going to hang our hats on what somebody says about us, or stuff like that. We have to go back and work again, so [expletive] it. What can you do?”

So, the offensive line will almost certainly be blamed this week. And if the Redskins produce a similar performance against the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday, the chorus will grow louder. That’s just the norm that comes with the territory of playing a position defined more regularly by its failures than its successes.
---------
The line played soft in practice/preseason, and it showed in week one.

They will be ready this week, but don't know if it will be enough against the Rams.

And stop with the Hogs nonsense. There will never be a hogs again, that was a one in a million combination of great talent and coaching.
----------
Its clear the O-Line no longer likes Cousins and wants him kilt.
-----------
Spent some time last night studying Sean McVay's #Rams offense. It looked very familiar...

https://twitter.com/i/moments/908109857420607488
----------
Except that it works.
---------
We should have put a copyright on our playbook.
----------
IP rights are usually set up at the time of contract and not many coaches would sign that assignment rider. McVay would own the rights to a playbook he authored, so to speak, though he may not disclose it during his employ because it would be a "trade secret." Once he was no longer employed, that trade secret wouldn't be so much of a secret.
----------
the NFL is a copycat league and most all of today's plays would belong to Paul Brown, Bill Walsh and Don Coryell under that thought
-----------
The real problem with the Redskins' offence is the lack of a running game, something that has affected it for some time. If you can't run the ball, opposing defences will have no reason to respect the run and will increase their pass-rush pressure.
-----------
The lack of a running game is on the coach, first he doesn't run enough and second he is trying to become some power running team and we aren't good at that. The only time I see us break off runs is when we go to the outside on either a zone stretch or a pitch.

You call plays based on your strengths not on your desire. The personnel is an issue also there is no reason Laovau is still starting get his a$$ out of there and play your 5 best o-linemen.
----------
Coming into the season, most folks up here knew that our running game was going to be the wart of the offense.
---------
Yes but we didn't know our QB was going to suck also.
----------
It's sad that people have made Kirk out to be this great QB and he really isn't. It's not hard to put up lots of yards when you throw over 600 times a year. People are confusing best we have with best QB's around the league and Kirk doesn't measure up. Mark my words he will regret not signing the deal we offered, when he doesn't get the huge offer this summer.
---------
This is the same o-line that only gave up 23 sacks in 606 pass attempts last year so lets not act like they can't pass block. The QB needs to have some mobility to escape the rush just look at Wentz last week.
----------
they can pass block, but they absolutely stink when it comes to blocking for the run. This year, for some reason, even in the passing game, they have trouble picking up basic front 7 zone blitz schemes.
----------
This current line has never been able to handle zone blocking on running plays. On Sunday, Brandon Schereff was playing right guard. One defender went through the A gap, and one through the B gap. He blocked air while the back picked up one rusher and the other sacked the QB.

On the first two inside running plays on Sunday, the back was met 1-2 yards into the backfield. That is failed blocking. It does not matter who is carrying the ball if the line cannot block.

The Redskins could have a backfield of Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders and Jim Brown all in their prime. These great backs would suffer to get past the line of scrimmage behind this line.

On Sunday as with most of last year, the yardage by Redskin running backs are on plays designed to go outside or that they bounce outside when they are confronted with no seam at the LOS.
Not Hogs 2.0, maybe Hogs 0.2 They have not earned the right to call themselves HOGS at all!!!!!

Psycho_X

Legend
I know I'm probably the only one with this sentiment, but I don't agree with this.

There were so many other factors (that I've mentioned ad nauseum prior to this) that I cannot blame it all on one coach.

You mention Brian Quick or Lance Kendricks dropping a pass, that is on THEM, not the coach.

Greg Robinson holding is on HIM (and in some cases officiating), not the coach. He was a good run blocker and needed work on his pass pro. Everyone knew that. But I'm going of on a tangent here..

The last coaching staff left a lot more talent for the current guys to work with and it's paying off.

Can we go back to making fun of that Redskins forum now???

Well, I was mostly being tongue in cheek but since you decided it was worth bringing up, yes it was in fact Fisher's team. All though I never said it was ALL his fault. The players were to blame for a lot of it as you point out me mentioning, Boras/other coaches were to blame for a lot of it, and the front office was to blame for a lot of it. But at the end it was Fisher's team and he was controlling the mess around him. So yes, it was on him more than any one person.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But at the end it was Fisher's team and he was controlling the mess around him. So yes, it was on him more than any one person.
We all knew that Fisher had a lot of say in the drafts and free agency signings. He had a lot of say with regards to coaching hires as well.
So, how anyone can say that the mess that was the Rams wasn't primarily on Fisher is illogical to me.

You can say Boras failed to create good game plans... but who hired Boras?

It all pointed upward to Jeff Fisher.

OK... enough of the Fisher bashing... onto Washington!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“I wish he would have held out for another week,” Redskins LT Trent Williams joked about Donald. “But that’s life in the NFL now. Everybody has these D-lines that are souped-up so… you’ve got to bring a hard hat, it’s going to be another tough one.

Williams will hold his own. But I do feel sorry for the OG that draws a pi$$ed off Aaron Donald. Dude looks ripped. He is going to go the F off on Sunday IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, I was mostly being tongue in cheek but since you decided it was worth bringing up, yes it was in fact Fisher's team. All though I never said it was ALL his fault. The players were to blame for a lot of it as you point out me mentioning, Boras/other coaches were to blame for a lot of it, and the front office was to blame for a lot of it. But at the end it was Fisher's team and he was controlling the mess around him. So yes, it was on him more than any one person.

Actually you brought him up first, I merely responded to it. But whatever, I don't care about about that.

Like I said, I'm the only one on this entire board that has this opinion, but again I can't blame everything on him. Injuries, officiating, player execution, etc. it's all a combo. I posted a link to the tie against SF a few years ago and that shows what this team would have been if everything else didn't shit the bed.

Why the chill response, though?

We all knew that Fisher had a lot of say in the drafts and free agency signings. He had a lot of say with regards to coaching hires as well.
So, how anyone can say that the mess that was the Rams wasn't primarily on Fisher is illogical to me.

You can say Boras failed to create good game plans... but who hired Boras?

It all pointed upward to Jeff Fisher.

1. If so, you have to look at the positives as well. It's so easy to say Greg Robinson, Brian Quick, et al but why do people completely ignore the other, good players he brought on? You're looking at it through only one set of lens.

2. Rob Boras? Read my signature....

3. Nah, again it's a combo of things.

Bottom line for me anyway, is that I have a different viewpoint of Jeff Fisher than I do Scott Linehan, than I do do Steve Spagnoulo.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I get what you are saying. I too have Fisher PTSD. Here's hoping McVay's Rams can string together enough wins (including wins over teams we can/should beat) to cure us all of that condition.

Ram65

Legend
Trent Williams came out the game last week in the second half. His replacement let up the sack/fumble that sealed the game. Don't know why. He good but if banged up that will help. Have to keep Cousins from getting to comfortable in the pocket.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://es.redskins.com/topic/415977...iction-thread-possible-gauntlet-march/?page=5

Redskins vs Rams Prediction Thread: Possible Gauntlet March?

Sheehan I think had a good description of this game being the perfect storm in a way for Jay. He's going against his arguably overhyped apprentice. And he is up against the defensive coordinator who he shot down who wanted a job who is in the perfect spot to exact revenge.

But that goes both ways. The Redskins win its then vindication for Jay. It's one of the most interesting narratives I think in a long time for game 2 of the season. And if they lose, will things stay cool or do we got full fledged panic.

I picked the Redskins but I think the game is going to be a grind and could go either way. I was listening to Cooley this morning who seems to think he has almost a complete read on the Rams offense because he knows McVay so well.

When the tight end is lined up tight to the right tackle, they are running the ball. If the wide receivers are lined up wide = no play action. He likes to line up the receivers tight and stack them together in order to force the secondary to direct each other where the QB can see if the defense is doubling up, etc.
---------
Redskins win, 27-20
---------
Remember to hydrate and DO NOT watch the post game presser!
--------
I think they win a squeaker but its perfectly feasible for me to see a loss. But I agree a full meltdown if it happens. I think its already borderline meltdown now already with some -- I could just imagine 2 loses in a row.

So many subplots if they lose: McVay versus Jay. McVay's loss felt large. Letting receivers go a mistake? Kirk versus Goff. Kirk versus Bruce. Jay versus Wade. It would be like steroids for the naysayers on any of these points to go wild with negativity. I said this before the season. I think they can survive a 1-1 start. Not sure about 0-2 with this schedule but I won't be jumping ship either.

I actually feel better about the Raiders game than this one. I hate the subplot of Wade exacting revenge. I like Jay but no one is without fault. One of the things I didn't like about Jay after season one is turning down Wade. To Jay's credit he tried to rectify that this off season to no avail. And if there is anything to Wade's book, Jay initially turned him down dismissively where Wade felt disrespected.

So I don't love the combination of going against a head coach who probably knows Kirk and the rest of the offensive's strengths and weaknesses like the back of his hand coupled with a genius defensive coordinator with a load of talent bent on revenge.
---------
I really think the "subplots" here are being dramatized to absurd levels. First of all, the only guy that really has any true "revenge" factor on the Rams is the ONE guy no one in this thread has mentioned: Joe Barry. He is the Rams assistant head/coach and LB coach. And he's the one who got fired.

How come no one is talking about how Barry will have his LB's extra fired up and how he knows the tendencies of our defensive players?

Guys move from team to team A LOT in the NFL. A lot of guys interview for jobs and don't get them. I imagine most of them are disappointed or even angry about it and feel like the team that interviewed them and passed made a mistake. I'm sure they'd all like to win when facing that team again.

And isn't Wade's son on our staff? How come no one is talking about how he can give Jay inside info on his Dad's schemes and tendencies? I'd like to think that Wade shared some of his knowledge and philosophies with his son over the years, no?

I just think we are really, really reaching here.
----------
Yeah, I totally agree with the overblown narratives about knowing the other guy and the other guy's system. Just gives the scribes something to write about. I'll be looking closely at how Boy Wonder utilizes that roster on Sunday and how much Goff spreads the ball around to different receivers; he was like blackjack dealer in a crowded pool hall last week. Hopefully we can get some pressure on him and make him look like last year's Goff.
------------
Won't be any zebra assists for the Rams in this game. Boger is consistently bad, regardless of team. And coaches that know how to scout should realize that this crew tosses a lot of laundry for illegal hands/pass interference.

You want to move the ball down the field, toss it up in tight man coverage. In the words of ol' Red Cashion, "First daaaaaaaaaan". Defense better put the brakes on along the sidelines, too. Boger loves the personal foul calls. All of this goes for both teams.

This game will be won or lost based on competent coaching, necessary in-game adjustments, and putting the best players on the field to help your team win. Hence, I'm hanging my head pessimistically.
---------
On another note, I'm not liking the Rams going to the Blue and White helmet, but having their modern jersey and pants with blue, white and gold. The gold looks out of place. They look like a modern team who lost their helmets and "found" these old helmet lying around.
----------
Totally agree. Made a similar comment last week. The combo of the old and new looks so stupid.
---------
The game begins with the Rams receiving. Lots of 3-and-out and 1 or 2 first down drives are traded, and the 2nd quarter begins with the score tied at zero. The Rams manage to piece together a long drive when the Skins' D just can't seem to stop them on third down, capped by a 37 yard rushing TD on 3rd and 3. At halftime, it's Rams 7 Redskins 0.

The Skins receive, and Kirk leads a long drive into the red zone, where we stall. FG makes it 7-3. After that, there are several ineffective drives from both teams, until the Rams move the ball into scoring range, eventually settling for a field goal. Rams 10 Redskins 3 at the end of Q3. On the next drive the Skins put together another sustained effort, moving the ball from their own 10 to first and goal.

When 3 successive runs are unable to punch the ball through, they settle for another field goal. 10-6 Rams. On the next drive the Rams march down the field with authority and score a nice TD on a play-action pass that fools everyone. 17-6 Rams. After a Skins 3 and out, the Rams take over again.

They begin what looks like another sustained drive only to have Bashaud Breeland intercept Goff for a TD. 17-13 Rams. Now that the momentum has changed, the Skins' D holds the Rams to a 3 and out, and the O takes over in good field position. Looking confident, Cousins connects with Pryor, Reed and Crowder to move the Skins down the field quickly.

They stall in the red zone, missing a fade pass, a play action and a 3rd down draw. Nothing works, and with 1:24 left they have to decide whether to go all-in on one final play, or take the FG and try the onside kick. They take the field goal. 17-16 Rams. The Skins recover the onside kick!

The first play is a long completion to Pryor and things are looking pretty good until Thompson fumbles after a short reception that would have given the Skins another first down, and the fumble is recovered by the Rams, who kneel out the clock.

Final Rams 17 Redskins 16
---------
The Rams have played us hard, right up to and sometimes just past the whistle; its when OUR guys get ticked about it and retaliate. I hope Gruden lets the players know to keep their cool because they will try anything and everything to get our guys penalized or DQ'd.

I hope its a good, clean game, no post-whistle activities, but I'm not betting on it. And the long trip out there could catch up to some guys.
---------
Everything is seems to be lining up for a Skins loss:

- Rams have your former OC as head coach

- Rams with a highly respected DC

- Rams have a young/almost rookie QB

- Rams coming off a shellacking of the Colts

- Skins offense looks stuck in the mud

That said, Skins 23-11 life time vs the Rams. They win a tight, ugly game:

Skins - 20
Rams - 17
----------
Jay needs to stop pretending like he wants to run, and let Kirk pass. And double down on that by doing it with hurry up. Establish rhythm, which seems to otherwise takes all of preseason and 4 regular season games, to get done. He came out deep to Pryor who was open. 2nd and 10 he panics and dials back to a run CT for -1. End the charade.

And stop worshiping McVay's feet. **** him. He is a greenhorn who will certainly not be expecting hurry up. Aaron Donald in likely less than elite shape could be ripe for some hands on hips moments. They have Joe Barry. Jay more than ever needs to stop being predictable for one game.

What I now call being his fake self - desperately looking like he really really wants to run. Call 5 straight short pass plays on drive 1 - get everyone involved and minimize the sack / pressure risk. Spare Kelley running into a brick wall. He can run later when we are up 7-2 if he is worried that he has to have a 50/50 ratio to win.

Although @Probos is right, we are ripe for a loss but at least it's not a big stage game, which increases our odds of winning by 90%. Yeah those young QBs kill us because we always play them passive the entire game. Get after Goff.

If we do that, we win. 41-2.
---------
Regardless of the outcome, I got a feeling this is going to be a dull game where both offenses have trouble getting their footing.

17-10, Los Angeles

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/9/15/16175548/the-5-oclock-club-16-sep-17-traveling-west

The 5 O'Clock Club: Traveling west
by Bill-in-Bangkok

Unpainted_2013_oct_1_173.0.jpg

An analysis of 5 years of game data from the NFL, NBA, and NHL showed that basketball teams travelling from western to eastern time zones had a significantly greater winning percentage than teams traveling in the opposite direction. There were also trends in the same direction for football and hockey teams, although they fell short of statistical significance.

And a separate examination of the impact of turnovers and injuries on winning percentage over a single season in the NFL also found pro football teams based in the west to have a winning advantage when crossing the country to play, after adjusting for other factors.

"Accumulating evidence suggests that, in the same way home field advantage influences the probability of success, so too does the circadian advantage and its direction with an advantage for teams traveling eastward," said researcher Dominique Dagenais, BSc, of the Université du Quebec en Outaouais, Gatineau.

Dagenais told MedPage Today that athletic performance tends to peak in the late afternoon and that players traveling from the west to the east appear to play more games closer to their circadian peaks.

NFL: teams travelling from west to east had a winning percentage of 46.54% compared with 37.98% for teams traveling from east to west.
---------
What factor is most likely to have a real effect on the outcome of this week’s game against the Rams?
  • Traveling east to west
  • Home field advantage for the Rams
  • The potential of Aaron Donald on the field & a Wade-Phillips coached defense
  • Jay Gruden’s & Kirk Cousins’ notoriously slow starts each season
  • The overall roster of the Rams
  • The Redskins’ offensive weaponry
  • Redskins D-E-F-E-N-S-E
  • The place kickers (Hopkins v. Zeurlein)
  • Injuries
  • turnovers
  • The distraction of the "Alex Smith should start for the Redskins in 2018" buzz that raged across the globe yesterday
  • something else entirely
Voted turnovers because I think it will be a big factor.
If we can win the give/take stats, we can win this game.

Regarding traveling, I find it easier to travel west to east for any long distance trip because I get adjusted to the different time-zone quicker.

My personal experience seems to agree with the study.
----------
The offensive line and turnovers..
Cousins dealt with a dirty pocket 50% of his drop backs last week which lead to two turnovers. The jump fumble by Crowder was inexcusable. Better OL play and that would have been a W against the Eagles. I expect one against the Rams this Sunday.
--------
I voted Gruden and Cousins
but I would have voted for the Rams defense. They already know all of Gruden’s plays, so no need of going to the huddle with Kirk. I have a feeling the Rams will be setting a new sack record, and we will finally get to see Perine with the starters. If Moses is still playing hurt and Trent continues with immobile feet then Kirk may be on the IR Sunday.

Something has to get better soon. Preseason told those of us who looked with open eyes what our weakness was, and last week those same people who refuse to witness blamed the QB. I urge those same people to watch the Saints/Vikings game. Breez had the same problem, yet Breez is great and Cousins is shit.

It proves my point that no QB could have done any better. I will be shocked if the Skins get a win, but I will cheer them on and scream at the TV as usual.
--------

View: https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/907042512258441221?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hogshaven.com%2F2017%2F9%2F15%2F16175548%2Fthe-5-oclock-club-16-sep-17-traveling-west

---------
Seriously, if there is a silver lining in his performance on Sunday, it’s he wasn’t playing scared and was willing to run for 1st downs when needed, and taking hits while throwing which he seldom did in the past.

As far as being harassed, Wentz was facing the similar treatment, but was able to turn would be tackles/sacks into TDs or 1st downs…

No news on Kirk’s arm talent there: he has always struggled big time every time he couldn’t plant his feet properly, and the last play that closed the game (did he even realized it was 4th down, as he looked to get back in the huddle?) was emblematic of all his past failures in crunch time: throwing on the back foot to a wide open Reed, and the ball barely reaches the line of scrimmage…

What at this stage of his career is intolerable is the inability to audible (rookies like Prescott last year and now Wentz, to stay in the division are much more advanced than him)… Outside of the fades in the end zone.

Unless he improves dramatically on his post snap reads, his performances against the better stop units is destined to remain poor.
---------
Went with the return of Donald to a Wade Phillip’s coached defense

If Donald is his usual disruptive and havoc-wrecking self, we could be in for a long day. This game is going to be all about minimizing the pressure coming through the interior of the OL, getting off the field on 3rd downs, and avoiding turnovers (I’m looking at you, Kirk!).

If we can take care of that, we have a good shot in this game. Gruden and Kirk can’t start the slow as usual and I think after last week, they know that. At least you’d hope so because going down 0-2 with the look of rest of our schedule would not be an easy hole to come out of.
---------
Bunch of limp dicks around here.
The Redskins will sack Goff 6 times in this game.

They’ll rush for 165 yards and 3 TDs.
-------
Thank you sir
For doing your part to fight the sad sackedness around here. There’s absolutely something to what you say about sacks too. Our defense was living in the Eagles backfield last week, and the Eagles have a much better O-line than the Rams.

Goff is not nearly as elusive or hard to bring down as Wentz, so I’m really hoping for a ton of blitzes early on that get Goff panicked and throw him off his game. If we can rattle him early, he doesn’t strike me as the sort of "mentally tough" QB who will come back from it (at least based on what I saw of him in Hard Knocks and All Or Nothing).
------
Thats scary and dont think Wade wont have his backend ready for Gruden's routes if he stops the run game
As well as the DB coach is a former asst who knows Grant and Reed. Reed’s athleticism will negate 95% of any DC, cant say that fro Grant though. Barry will be wanting to stick it to somebody too
-----
Y'know, I just remembered something
When Wade Phillips was with the Broncos, they were always vulnerable to runs up the middle. Their defense was really solid except for that. I think it was because he always tried to bring so much pressure on the QB that he left the middle a bit exposed.

The Broncos look to have a better run D now with Vance Joseph running the defense. If we can actually get our run game on track, maybe that is the way to attack them.
---------
The strength of Wade's Broncos defense was at outside linebacker.
He worked to get as much as he could out of the players in the middle. It was still a GREAT defense.
--------
I know Jay said in his presser that he would be consulting sleep specialists to try to neutralize the effect of the timezone change. We’ll see if it works. In this game I expect our offense to look only a bit better than before, but our defense to step up.

We made several defensive mistakes last year that I don’t expect us to repeat. Also, importantly, the Rams don’t have an elite pass-catching TE like Ertz. As long as our CBs can keep their WRs in check (and I have more confidence in our CBs than safeties, though the matchup against Sammy Watkins and Cooper Kupp will be a test), we’ll be able to shut down their passing game.

Unless this turns into a Derek Carrier revenge game! I’d almost forgot he got traded to the Rams. This will also be a more true test of our run D against Todd Gurley. If we can bottle him up, I think our improved run D is for real.

And I want to see us sack the crap out of Goff. All those near-sacks against Wentz will turn into actual sacks against a Jared Goff who isn’t nearly as big or elusive. We have to win this game defensively, I think the offense will still take another week to get on track.
---------
I voted the Alex Smith rumor
although still random, anyone else in here wish that the Rams would just go all the way with the blue and white theme and get rid of the gold? No? I’m the only one who cares about this? Ok, my mistake!
-------
The Skins offense will get better every week just like every year with Gruden and Cousins running the show
I wish they could just start out well, but that seems to be an unattainable goal for now.

I think this game will be a win, but I think it will be closer than anyone wants it to be.

I envision the Rams driving to score the winning TD, but the defense forces a turnover from Goff to close the game.

Redskins play better, but boneheaded mistakes keep LA in the game.
------
Awfully quite on here this morning.
Time for a game prediction.

No more muffed punts
No more over throws
No more stunts
Get past our o-line… bros

We’ll sack Goff
We’ll break the Rams
We’ll go off
Make them our lambs

Redskins win 20 – 17 The defense makes it a very long day for Jared Goff, causing 2 turnovers and holding the Rams to several three and outs. Kirk and the offense still struggle but improve enough to protect the ball and take advantage of short fields provided by defense.
--------
It's not like they have to travel to Bangalore. It's a 3 hour difference.
A Wade Phillips defense that includes Aaron Donald will be much more of a factor than that. I also expect another clock management gaffe from Gruden since he can’t call plays and manage the clock at the same time.
--------
Wade's D. Donald or not, they'll be tough.
The Rams O isn’t that good and our D will be respectable. Our offensive line—and hence Cousins—is going to get abused again.
--------
We'll see what kind of game plan Gruden comes up with.
If he plans on Kirk doing a traditional passing game from the pocket 40+ throws then he’s as dumb as many claim he is.

I hope that Gruden puts his best foot forward. He should be motivated not to let his protege and rookie HC show him up.

This team should be motivated for their HC, too. If not, at this point I’m really losing hope for any chance Gruden can be a good HC in this league. It they want the easy does it methodology at training camps and practices then they better show up and play for the guy that gives it to them.

Otherwise, I would fire Gruden end of season and look for the best task master disciplinarian type of HC I can find. No sense in wasting any more time with Gruden.

I’m expecting an all out effort and a win this weekend. Really do expect that not just saying that what needs to happen I believe it will.
-------
Throw in some bootlegs. Utilize the screen game to try to make the Rams pay for sending pressure. And for the love of pie, don’t just send all your runs straight up the gut and then whine about the running game not working in the post-game presser. Tear up the goddamn preseason playbook and start playing real football.
--------
You cant run up the middle if your inside linemen truly suck
Long/Lavauo are overmatched constantly..Scherff appears to still be in off season mode..Donald is going to have fresh legs and an ugly attitude.. Better get Cousins moving to the edges as much as possible

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
They keep going on about the lousy Rams beating a putrid team like the Colts like the final score was 17-14. They took care of business, dammit! However, I could see Pryor and the run game do some damage...
Washington will have to abandon the run once they get down, Gruden wont have the patience to stick with the run.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I love the guy (NOT) who used most of a page for his ridiculous diatribe about how the scoring for the entire game would go...Take it to a publisher sport.. Call it: "War and Peace ll, the scoring in the Rams/Redskins game"...What a self-absorbed clown...That's several wasted minutes that I'll never be able to retrieve !!! (My bad for reading more that 2 lines I suppose)...

Scirca

Rookie
My Rams are going to wax that ass. If we beat the Cowboys, we are a super bowl contending team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The rams will be confident ... having watched the rams colts game I am convinced the colts are the worst NFL team I have seen .. since the 2011 colts ...

how many games do you get two pick Six plays ... how many times do you get 4 TDS from the special teams and defence ... looking at that 28 points means the rams offence put up 17 points against a putrid colts defence ... they ran with a 1.9 yard average on 33 carries .. even including knee downs that is bad ... what happened to Todd Gurley .
200.webp

Rams O put up 30 points without the D. Yes i'm counting the three FG's.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
I hope I don't sound as stupid asf as some of these Redskins fans from being a homer of the Rams. For fucks sake. Seriously, some of these guys have some pigshit between their ears. With that said the Rams win 89-6, Aaron Donald breaks Cousins after the 3rd sack and then makes the backup his bitch begging not to get wrecked like the Qb on Waterboy.

View: https://youtu.be/VSulFZ7XJ1U?t=1m52s

How about that for being ignorant about your team?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm beginning to think that there is a very large percentage of NFL fans out there that don't know or forgot that Jeff Fisher is no longer the HC here.