What Rams' starters look like today/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What Rams' starters look like today
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17240/what-rams-starters-look-like-today

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- There's still a long way to go in this offseason but free agency has mostly come and gone. There are still plenty of things for the St. Louis Rams to get accomplished and the resources to do them.

With that in mind, let's take a shot at what the team's starting 22 would look like if the season started right now. This isn't an exercise meant to create gloom and doom so much as it is to illustrate what still needs to be done this offseason.

Offense

QB Nick Foles: Coach Jeff Fisher has already declared Foles the starter and, barring a big move for a Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston (which can't be entirely ruled out at this point), Foles will likely be the opening-day choice for the Rams.

RB Tre Mason: Mason took hold of the job about midway through the 2014 season and looks to be entrenched here moving forward.

FB/TE Cory Harkey: Technically, Harkey hasn't signed his restricted free-agent tender yet but it looks like he'll be back in his jack-of-all trades role in 2015.

WR Kenny Britt: The Rams re-signed Britt to a two-year deal so that he could continue to hold down this spot.

WR Brian Quick: This is more of a projection than Britt because Quick is coming off a serious shoulder injury. There's no definitive timetable on his return but training camp has been a target. Assuming he's back by then, he should get a chance to resume in his job as a starter.

TE Jared Cook: Cook produced at a similar level in 2014 as he did in 2013 and though the Rams would surely like a little more return on the big investment they made in him, it's probably safe to expect Cook to continue to perform at about the rate he has in those two seasons in St. Louis.

LT Greg Robinson: There's a long way to go for Robinson to reach his potential but the Rams are confident in him and Fisher has already made it clear that this is Robinson's job moving ahead, a declaration buoyed by releasing Jake Long.

LG Rodger Saffold: The team would probably prefer to have Saffold at right guard since that's where he's been at his best and it's possible he could end up there depending on who the Rams acquire to start as the guard opposite Saffold.

C Barrett Jones: The Rams have showed some interest in free-agent center Stefen Wisniewski but that hasn't materialized into anything yet. It's entirely possible they'll give Jones a chance to win this job but it stands to reason they'll find some competition from somewhere.

RG Brandon Washington: Quite a bit of time and energy has gone into developing Washington but it's hard to imagine the Rams are ready to hand him this job. They must find an upgrade to go with Saffold at guard.

RT Garrett Reynolds: Signed last week, Reynolds' job will more likely be to add depth across the line so he sits here for now until the Rams get a resolution on Joe Barksdale's status and/or see what's available in the draft.

Defense

LDE Chris Long: Returning from an injury that cost him much of last season, Long still figures prominently in the plans but it's not out of the question the Rams will begin planning for the long-term at the position this offseason.

LDT Aaron Donald: The emerging star and Defensive Rookie of the Year should be safely penciled in here for the long haul.

RDT Michael Brockers: Entering the last year of his rookie contract, the Rams have a fifth-year option that they'll almost certainly exercise before the May deadline. A contract extension isn't out of the question, either.

RDE Robert Quinn: After signing a long-term deal in Week 2 of last season, Quinn joins Donald as this franchise's present and future.

WLB Alec Ogletree: Started to get more comfortable with new coordinator Gregg Williams midway through the year and again flashed signs of stardom.

MLB James Laurinaitis: Still steady in the middle, Laurinaitis' cap number drops into the $4 million range this year, making him a relative bargain given his importance to the defense at large.

SLB Akeem Ayers: This probably isn't a sure thing but given what Ayers is being paid, it stands to reason he'll be on the field more often than not. In returning to a 4-3 defense, this is the only new starter currently projected on the defense.

CB E.J. Gaines: One the most pleasant surprises in the league last year, it's possible Gaines will be the nickelback with Trumaine Johnson here but Gaines is going to play and play a lot moving forward.

SS T.J. McDonald: Like Ogletree, McDonald really came on during the season's second half and should only get better as he goes on.

FS Rodney McLeod: Like Harkey, there's still a bit of business to take care of with McLeod but it certainly appears he'll be back in this spot next season.

CB Janoris Jenkins: Jenkins is entering the last year of his rookie contract and it's probably a good bet that both he and Johnson won't be back. Jenkins has given up some big plays but also made his share as well and has been more reliable than Johnson in terms of health.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
As it stands right now that starting Oline is scary as hell for a QB or a RB

SierraRam

Recreational User
My observations, two cents, humble opinions...:

1. No mention of Rhaney at Center? I figured him at least tied with Jones right now. Of course, I know we're looking to upgrade all of the OL except GRob, Saffold, and hopefully Barksdale.

2. Without Quick's status defined, maybe we go WR if Cooper or Hill slip to #10?? It's a deep draft for OL's, and if we sign Wiz, Blaylock...

3. Why am I always hearing both JJ and Tru are leaving after this season? No optimism to resign either? If so, we better think CB early too. All the good ones will be gone by the 3rd round - Likely no EJ gems this year

Bottom line: I'd feel a hell of a lot better if we'd sign a couple of 'name' OL's before draft day. That will give us a chance to really strengthen our roster from top to bottom. Then, after we ace this draft, the Rams will contend for the NFC title this year. Yes, we're that close!

jjab360

Legend
My observations, two cents, humble opinions...:

1. No mention of Rhaney at Center? I figured him at least tied with Jones right now. Of course, I know we're looking to upgrade all of the OL except GRob, Saffold, and hopefully Barksdale.

2. Without Quick's status defined, maybe we go WR if Cooper or Hill slip to #10?? It's a deep draft for OL's, and if we sign Wiz, Blaylock...

3. Why am I always hearing both JJ and Tru are leaving after this season? No optimism to resign either? If so, we better think CB early too. All the good ones will be gone by the 3rd round - Likely no EJ gems this year

Bottom line: I'd feel a hell of a lot better if we'd sign a couple of 'name' OL's before draft day. That will give us a chance to really strengthen our roster from top to bottom. Then, after we ace this draft, the Rams will contend for the NFC title this year. Yes, we're that close!
Why is everyone so high on Rhaney? Has anyone ever even seen him play before coming out of media deficient Tennessee State? At least we've seen Jones play before, and he was pretty damn good in the best division in college football. Not sure why it hasn't worked out for him so far in the pros, you have to wonder if he's not the same stud he was before if not for the injuries. Could be the reason we're not so hot on signing Wis is because we don't see him as that much of an upgrade over a healthy B. Jones.

FRO

Legend
Looks good, line sucks horrible though. Still time to correct it.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Why is everyone so high on Rhaney? Has anyone ever even seen him play before coming out of media deficient Tennessee State? At least we've seen Jones play before, and he was pretty damn good in the best division in college football. Not sure why it hasn't worked out for him so far in the pros, you have to wonder if he's not the same stud he was before if not for the injuries. Could be the reason we're not so hot on signing Wis is because we don't see him as that much of an upgrade over a healthy B. Jones.

In my case, it's a lot of 'Homer-Hope' I guess. After we drafted Rhaney, I did a little research and found that he had an excellent pro-day and Senior Bowl. He's known for his intelligence and athleticism. The comment "the small school label is the only thing that allowed him to slip to the 7th round" was mentioned more than once. A few positive comments from Fisher helped, too. I remember for an all-to-brief time, 7th rounder Mark Setterstrom was our best road grader until a knee injury ended his brief career. Is Rhaney our next diamond in the rough?

I've been hoping we sign Wiz because if one of our Centers do emerge, Wiz is also an effective guard.

fearsomefour

Legend
Rhaney was impressive in the playing time he got last preseason. One thing that jumped out when he was playing was his quickness. He has real ability to get to the second level blocking.

fearsomefour

Legend
In my case, it's a lot of 'Homer-Hope' I guess. After we drafted Rhaney, I did a little research and found that he had an excellent pro-day and Senior Bowl. He's known for his intelligence and athleticism. The comment "the small school label is the only thing that allowed him to slip to the 7th round" was mentioned more than once. A few positive comments from Fisher helped, too. I remember for an all-to-brief time, 7th rounder Mark Setterstrom was our best road grader until a knee injury ended his brief career. Is Rhaney our next diamond in the rough?

I've been hoping we sign Wiz because if one of our Centers do emerge, Wiz is also an effective guard.
This is my take on signing Wiz also. Provides a sizable upgrade over Wells, but, I actually like him a little better at G. Best cause is either Jones or Rhaney emerging with Wiz upgrading a G spot.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Love Harkey but Kendricks should be the FB/TE starter. I wonder if he forgot to update this when Kendricks was signed.

FRO

Legend
O-Line is really the only big hole I see.
WR could be. Quick could have some lingering issues with the shoulder injury. Britt could revert to 2013 form. I would mind adding a WR.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Really don't like the right side of that O-line... it has POROUS written all over it

A55VA6

Legend
WR could be. Quick could have some lingering issues with the shoulder injury. Britt could revert to 2013 form. I would mind adding a WR.
Yeah, but I truly believe Brian Quick can be a damn good WR if he stays healthy. I think adding a WR in the draft and probably cutting Givens would be perfectly fine by me.

lockdnram21

Legend
i think they will add a receiver just not early. probaly 3rd or 4th round to compete with Givens for last spot.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good God I've not seen a Right Side look so weak since Nelson Rockerfeller ran for President back in 1964.

FRO

Legend
i think they will add a receiver just not early. probaly 3rd or 4th round to compete with Givens for last spot.
I think that would be the smart thing to do. Even draft a developmental type like Quick and hope Quick and Britt are who we hope.

I also wouldn't mind trying to sign a vet for depth. A guy like Nate Washington maybe.