What Rams can learn from the Jets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
I keep reading many times that the Rams are an average QB away from being a competitive team. We have a top 10 defense (when they aren't on the field all the time) and we have playmakers in Oh my Todd and Tavon Austin.

Let's look at the Jets! Ryan Fitzpatrick has Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker at WR, both big targets to throw who have played at a very high level in the NFL! RB situation is very stable in NY, Chris Ivory has been a solid starter and they have a good backup in Powell. Essentially Fitzmagic's playmaking cast is pretty darn good, if not somewhere in the top... eh give or take 5 in the league? To top it off, they are protecting the QB! OL has been very good up to this point, Fitzpatrick doesn't get hit much. The sack numbers are low but the pocket he's been able to throw from has been steady for most of the season. Fitzmagic is comfortable and isn't getting abused, he's playing his game, just with better support then he ever has.

My biggest question I have here is why on EARTH does Foles look as bad as he has this season?! He's NEVER looked this bad in his whole NFL career, why now? To me, it's a team effort all the way around and I don't like pinning blame on any particular player for a whole teams success. With that said, let me be the first to say that Foles' play has been erratic in the second half of the season. His mechanics look way off, doesn't look confident, and he has struggled completing passes he's capable of completing (still these points don't paint a clear picture on him). No denying that; however, how do you guys think he's gotten this low?! I don't think he has a reliable target to throw to and I def don't think he's getting the protection he needs. Dude has been hit way too much this season, it does not even look like he wants to step up in the pocket anymore. The WHOLE offense is a mess, and it's going to take much more then an average QB to fix our problems. We can't run or pass block, and I don't think we have a legitimate number 1 threat at WR. Love Tavon Austin, but he's struggled to make catches down the field. He's a solid playmaker none the less, but he has not helped us solve our passing game issues. This team could have been different with our 3 interior OL, run blocking seems non-existent since the line started breaking down. Guess that's another discussion.

Just think about this for a minute, Fitzmagic has been considered to be a below average QB his whole NFL career (to my disliking!). Right now I'd say he's playing out of his mind, but he has a great supporting cast in NY that have helped elevate his game. We MUST help our QB, whoever it maybe in the future. Offense needs a lot of work, but at least the defense has been competitive all season!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What is the point of this thread? The title is ridiculously deceiving. What can the Rams learn? Good players win games? You could have input any winning team in the title. All you did was share your love of the jets.

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is the point of this thread? The title is ridiculously deceiving. What can the Rams learn? Good players win games? You could have input any winning team in the title. All you did was share your love of the jets.

Jets are not my love by any means, that wasn't the point. I was just implying that I don't believe an average QB is going to save our team unless we had an EXCELLENT supporting cast around that QB, like Fitzpatrick has gotten his this season with the Jets. I don't recall many people saying he was even a solid NFL QB before, now he's playing at a very solid level. I've followed this dude his whole career because I like the kind of guy he is and I want to see him succeed (hence I'm following the Jets, just like I followed him with the Bills, Titans, and Texans). He's playing very good football with a GREAT cast in NY is my point. We don't have a great cast around our QB, and honestly it's not even close to being average. We got TA and Gurley, that's about it imo. Having an average QB come in probably won't be enough to elevate us to a playoff team is the big picture I'm trying to get here.