What QB do you want in FA?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd roll the dice on either Blaine Gabbert (yes, really) or Jimmy Clausen (yes, also, really)

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd take schaub in a heartbeat out of that mix. Other than that? Mc Coy maybe.

Did you look at all the QB's from the link? or where you just looking at mine?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
The list is pretty pathetic, but if I have to take one, as a 'Back-up', I would say either McCoy or Hoyer. I would have preferred it if we had keep Keenum!

Yeah and too bad he's an ERFA... :(

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
If the Rams are looking for a starting QB to either replace Bradford going forward or be a guy to step in if Bradford can't go (this would be under the assumption by management that the QB spot is what would keep the Rams away from a playoff run), then Schaub is the only real choice. If the backup spot is viewed as a placeholder until a longterm rookie is found and not a potential starter....to be a teacher to a young guy more than a viable starter, then Hill is fine with me.
He (Schaub) has a 140 starts or something like that, so, the team would not have to deal with the learning curve the other guys would have. His numbers are impressive up until his last year in Houston. He is 33, not young, but not ancient in QB terms. He had a very nice running game to lean on in Houston and the same would be needed with the Rams I am sure.
The rest of the list a debate about upside, Schaub has been a Pro-Bowl QB. Those guys don't forget how to play. To me, the first question is, is he healthy?
The second question is salary. He made $10M last year to ride the pine and look disinterested when he did get in. How low will his salary demands go?
I don't want to pay that sort of salary for a guy trying to reestablish himself. But, he certainly has been a better QB than any other name on that list.
Interesting guy to consider.

Schaub has to be cut by the Raiders though. He's not a FA. He's not been cut yet.. And my apologies on the thread. I was more talking about a backup behind Sam.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
None really. If Fisher is serious about legit QB competition for Bradford, our QB is coming through either the trade or the draft pick.

All these FA QBs suck balls and would offer less than Hill most likely.

I don't think they offer less than Hill, but not much more.. Who do you want to draft in this class? :cool: No one there brother. I could be wrong.

fearsomefour

Legend
Schaub has to be cut by the Raiders though. He's not a FA. He's not been cut yet.. And my apologies on the thread. I was more talking about a backup behind Sam.
True enough. RamFan503 brought up Schaub and it is worth considering as I am sure he will probably be released.
There is not a lot of options out there for sure.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
True enough. RamFan503 brought up Schaub and it is worth considering as I am sure he will probably be released.
There is not a lot of options out there for sure.
Yeah - that's pretty much what I'm figuring on. Can't see the Raiduhs keeping that contract. Of course they are the Raiduhs so.....

A55VA6

Legend
Buccaneers just released Josh McCown. Probably one of the better FA QB's now..

Irish

Starter
McCown is really interesting.

For as good as he was in 2013 (8 GP, 66.5% completion, 1,829 yds, 8.17 YPA, 13 TD, 1 INT, 2 FUM, 109 Rating) he was just as miserable in 2014 (11 GP, 56.3%, 2206, 6.75 YPA, 11 TD, 14 (!) INT, 9(!) FUM, 70.5 Rating.)

McCown had a HORRIBLE Oline last year as rated by PFF (25), but the Rams were even worse at 31. Receivers? VJax and Evans run circle around our receiving core. Runningbacks? Tre Mason and co. were very efficient last year, but Bobby Rainey was serviceable in place of the injured Doug Martin, who is clearly the best runner of the bunch.

I don't see McCown replicating 2013 success on this team, not yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last year was a catastrophe all the way around for Tampa tbh. They added weapons but the OC Tedford was gone all season with medical issues and their OL as mentioned was garbage.

I do think McCown goes to the head of the FA class because he's demonstrated he can play pretty well with weapons around him in a WCO attack which it sounds to me is what the attack will be if not necessarily the terminology. He's not necessarily going to duplicate that season with the Bears, but he wouldn't need to with us. Just play within the scheme and get the ball out quick with solid decisions, and I think he could do that if the Rams fix the OL. Add a guy like Cooper in the first round plus fixing the OL would be even nicer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McCown is really interesting.

For as good as he was in 2013 (8 GP, 66.5% completion, 1,829 yds, 8.17 YPA, 13 TD, 1 INT, 2 FUM, 109 Rating) he was just as miserable in 2014 (11 GP, 56.3%, 2206, 6.75 YPA, 11 TD, 14 (!) INT, 9(!) FUM, 70.5 Rating.)

McCown had a HORRIBLE Oline last year as rated by PFF (25), but the Rams were even worse at 31. Receivers? VJax and Evans run circle around our receiving core. Runningbacks? Tre Mason and co. were very efficient last year, but Bobby Rainey was serviceable in place of the injured Doug Martin, who is clearly the best runner of the bunch.

I don't see McCown replicating 2013 success on this team, not yet.

McCown's performance in 2013 wasn't that good. His numbers look great but watching him left a distinctly different impression. It's why I didn't expect much from him in Tampa Bay. He's a career journeyman. He was what he's been his whole career this year in Tampa Bay.

I wouldn't touch him in FA. He's not even as good as Shaun Hill.

Hell, anyone remember when we played Chicago? McCown was TERRIBLE. Yet his end of game stats were:
352 yards
2 TDs
1 Int
102.4 QB Rating

They look great...but the guy was not good in that game. And that was the impression I came away when I watched him in other games in 2013.

It was how I felt about Foles in 2013...not that he was as bad as McCown but I didn't come away feeling like I was watching a top QB despite his stats. I always felt he looked pretty average. McCown didn't even look that good.

IMO, numbers can be very misleading in football. Gotta watch the games if you want to get a true idea of performance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
McCown's performance in 2013 wasn't that good. His numbers look great but watching him left a distinctly different impression. It's why I didn't expect much from him in Tampa Bay. He's a career journeyman. He was what he's been his whole career this year in Tampa Bay.

I wouldn't touch him in FA. He's not even as good as Shaun Hill.

Hell, anyone remember when we played Chicago? McCown was TERRIBLE. Yet his end of game stats were:
352 yards
2 TDs
1 Int
102.4 QB Rating

They look great...but the guy was not good in that game. And that was the impression I came away when I watched him in other games in 2013.

It was how I felt about Foles in 2013...not that he was as bad as McCown but I didn't come away feeling like I was watching a top QB despite his stats. I always felt he looked pretty average. McCown didn't even look that good.

IMO, numbers can be very misleading in football. Gotta watch the games if you want to get a true idea of performance.
Almost thought you were talking about Foles. That is my exact feeling about him. I never paid much attention to McCown though so I'll take your word for it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
352 yards
2 TDs
1 Int
102.4 QB Rating
I remember that game, and I wouldn't say he played terrible at all. He did have an Int negated by penalty, and this was during the Walton defense, but he played well. He made some really good throws while having Quinn breathing down his neck all game. He made good use of his weapons, Bennet, Marshall, Jeffery, and Forte; we are not exactly stacked like they are on offense, but we have similarities: athletic TE, big tall WR, a receiving back. I would say he played better in that game than the Bucs game against us this year. But if you look at both games you can see that he is mobile, 2 rushing TD's and he doesn't give up many sacks, 2 in 2 games against us. Chicago's oline is great, but the Bucs' is awful. To only give up 1 sack and rush for 2 TD against a pass rushing team with a garbage oline is worth something. But I haven't seen anything else the guy has done in the past two seasons, so he could be a complete garbage QB who has an ok game here and there.