What Peters means this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know if I like this response to his questionable tackling performance on NFLN, Marcus Peters said "I made a business decision...other guys get paid too."
Trying to understand, but it seems to me he is saying there are great offensive players who hit hard when they run/block etc..and that he has to decide if trying to stop/tackle them will reduce his career longevity???

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Don't know if I like this response to his questionable tackling performance on NFLN, Marcus Peters said "I made a business decision...other guys get paid too."
Trying to understand, but it seems to me he is saying there are great offensive players who hit hard when they run/block etc..and that he has to decide if trying to stop/tackle them will reduce his career longevity???
Deion Sanders took that same attitude to the Hall of Fame and two Super Bowls.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Peters was an outstanding move for the Rams. Now have to look at the Joyner/Watkins situation

Franchise Sammy. Pay him the big money for 1 season. Keeps the O intact for 2018. Believe some team would throw a contract at him that the Rams would not want to match, keeps them out of that situation. Bring back Sullivan at C for a year, maybe a Spencer Long for 2. Draft a T & G to groom for future starting spots, a TE, RB, even QB for backup, spot duty later in the draft. The O aint broke, as it was for several seasons under Fisher.

Transition Tag Joyner. He is a fine player that is versatile, would like to see him come back. If a team blows him out of the water with a contract, let him go. Cody Davis could be resigned, or another FA. Perhaps a existing player such as Countess is ready to step up. Regardless, the Rams would have to put a higher priority drafting a FS earlier. Johnson was drafting in round 3 last season, became a stater to midseason. Could happen again at FS

Im sure others will disagree, but just see Sammy more difficult to replace.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
Peters was an outstanding move for the Rams. Now have to look at the Joyner/Watkins situation

Franchise Sammy. Pay him the big money for 1 season. Keeps the O intact for 2018. Believe some team would throw a contract at him that the Rams would not want to match, keeps them out of that situation. Bring back Sullivan at C for a year, maybe a Spencer Long for 2. Draft a T & G to groom for future starting spots, a TE, RB, even QB for backup, spot duty later in the draft. The O aint broke, as it was for several seasons under Fisher.

Transition Tag Joyner. He is a fine player that is versatile, would like to see him come back. If a team blows him out of the water with a contract, let him go. Cody Davis could be resigned, or another FA. Perhaps a existing player such as Countess is ready to step up. Regardless, the Rams would have to put a higher priority drafting a FS earlier. Johnson was drafting in round 3 last season, became a stater to midseason. Could happen again at FS

Im sure others will disagree, but just see Sammy more difficult to replace.

I dont think that you can use both the franchise and transition tag in the same offseason. It's either or

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Guess it will certainly slow down the Ram mock drafts until they announce the Rams payment & future payments in priceless draft assets given in compensation.
I wasn't too far off....I hate giving away 2nd rounders tho...
LOL
Think he was talking about his defensive mates in front that are actually paid, primarily, to stop the run...namely the front 7....plus the SS...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't too far off....I hate giving away 2nd rounders tho...
LOL
Think he was talking about his defensive mates in front that are actually paid, primarily, to stop the run...namely the front 7....plus the SS...
he didn't say anything about his team mates when he said that, but maybe.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that would be like placing blame....while he did do just that...no need to name names....
Actually both could be true...His own slacker defensive teammates and ferocious runners/WR's could be included in that "business decision."
He sounds like an SOB to me, just hopefully he's our SOB and balls out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hate him all you want but if he’s leading our secondary and helping us to win Super Bowls that’s all that matters.
never said any differently. He seems like an SOB to me, but that's ok as long as he plays big time on Sundays...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like it or not, with Tru brobably moving on and Webster on the shelf, Troy Hill is going to see a lot more playing time and may even start opposite Peters.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
First it will remove some the presser of the "Need Factor" @ outside corner position. it was by far the biggest unknown & problematic situation of this young team. Snead now can relax a bit going into the combine then into active free agency & then later going into the draft.

But still Snead has big headaches in his present secondary...having a good chance that this Ram team has it's starting 2 outside corners no longer under contract, the one signed CB. our 3rd outside corner is a medical wreak & enduring two long serious rehabbing events from two major surgeries that will possible keep him on the PUP list until the bye or even longer. The 4th outside corner Troy Hill is not under contract in 2018 either.

This leaves Snead with only UDFA's Dom Hatfield & Kevin Peterson. Peterson was with the Bears in 2016 TC/PS & signed with the Rams later in 2016 with the PS. KP was resigned & has remained a Ram the complete 2017 season TC/pre season & PS early on until KP was activated for 6 gms with one start. He did show some good promise. Hatfield was active for 11 gms no starts. DH is a possible Nickle Back prospect in 2018.

Snead appears be going into this upcoming draft minus a 2nd & 4th with only 2 selections until the 5th rd. unless he work some magic in acquiring some additional picks my some means.Snead has some serious work to do to improve this weak Ram run defense & now total depleted secondary.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I dont think that you can use both the franchise and transition tag in the same offseason. It's either or
I don't know for sure if your right or wrong about this^^ But I don't see why a Team can't use Both!! Maybe someone can find the League Rules on it for us!?!