What Percent Chance These Guys Make An Impact In 2014?

• Thread starter DeweyCheatem-n-Howe
  • Start date
  • To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

So there's a lot of young unproven talent on the roster and practice squad, and Fisher likes to develop guys over time. In 2013, Barksdale went from a PS pickup to a very good starting RT. Who takes that step in 2014? Here's a list of potentials at positions the Rams need to fill:

- Cody Davis, FS
- Ray-Ray Armstrong, OLB
- Mike Person, OL
- Brandon Washington, G
- Barrett Jones, G/C
- Quinton Pointer, CB
- Daren Bates, OLB
- Brandon McGee, CB

What do you think? Anyone I should have added to the list?

Me, I think Jones is our starting C in 2014 and McGee takes over as the nickel corner. Aside from that, no idea... maybe Ray-Ray takes over for Dunbar (as discussed quite a bit elsewhere on this and other boards), or Cody Davis takes the FS position?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Davis, Armstrong, Pointer and Bates will continue to play special teams (well) until they're able to work their way into the starting lineup. Kind of the way Bailey started. Of them, I think Davis and Armstrong will eventually find their way onto the starting 46. MGee, I think, will find a way to become a rotational corner before camp is done.

Jones was redshirted, and I think he'll be a starter after camp as well. I don't know about Person and Washington. Boudreau has a knack for turning ordinary guys into solid linemen, so there's a good chance they compete for a job unless Saffold returns.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
McGee will definitely have a bigger role on defense right out of the gate. 3rd/Nickle. As others pointed out, I'm not very optimistic about Ray Ray if he can't show more maturity on the field. Jones needs to live in the weight room this offseason imo. Especially if we're continuing our ground and pound mentality next year.

wolfman84

Rookie
Don't forget about Phillip Steward who was essentially redshirted as well. I would add Justice Cunningham to that list as far as competing with Mike McNeill to make the 53 man roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So there's a lot of young unproven talent on the roster and practice squad, and Fisher likes to develop guys over time. In 2013, Barksdale went from a PS pickup to a very good starting RT. Who takes that step in 2014? Here's a list of potentials at positions the Rams need to fill:

- Cody Davis, FS
- Ray-Ray Armstrong, OLB
- Mike Person, OL
- Brandon Washington, G
- Barrett Jones, G/C
- Quinton Pointer, CB
- Daren Bates, OLB
- Brandon McGee, CB

What do you think? Anyone I should have added to the list?

Me, I think Jones is our starting C in 2014 and McGee takes over as the nickel corner. Aside from that, no idea... maybe Ray-Ray takes over for Dunbar (as discussed quite a bit elsewhere on this and other boards), or Cody Davis takes the FS position?

Guesstimate....Cody Davis will push Rodney McLeod as the usual deep center fielder. Cody will be here from day one again & begin to figure out what Fisher wants from him. Cody is very smart & is the fastest safeties we have . You left out the hardest hitting safety on this Rams team...Matt Daniels will return from his second season on IR with a fracture lower leg. Daniels will push hard up against safety TJ McDonald in TC & pre season. Not all that happy with Brandon McGee or Pointer me thinks we will see a highly talented CB selected in May thus making those two the 4th & 5th CB's in 2014.

I see Armstrong replacing UFA Dunbar. I see Bates becoming the first reserve Lber in place of Spoon. Rams will add a MLB'er somewhere in the draft.

Tim Barnes who will enter his 4th NFL season & his 4th season as a Ram has been groomed for two season to be the new Ram Center in 2014. Barnes has been active for 31 Ram games & started 4. In the final five games when he played center only one game was played poorly the last game of the yr the entire OL was in FAIL mode. Those two starting OG 's CW & SS who are UFA's in that last game will cost 3 to 4 mil to resign ...so the Rams will replace them with younger Brandon Washington @ OLG & Barrett Jones ORG in TC for approx 3 mil less. Mike Persons will be in the mix @ both OG spots in TC too. If the Rams do not draft any OL'ers in the top of the draft those are your starting OG's.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Guesstimate....Cody Davis will push Rodney McLeod as the usual deep center fielder. Cody will be here from day one again & begin to figure out what Fisher wants from him. Cody is very smart & is the fastest safeties we have . You left out the hardest hitting safety on this Rams team...Matt Daniels will return from his second season on IR with a fracture lower leg. Daniels will push hard up against safety TJ McDonald in TC & pre season. Not all that happy with Brandon McGee or Pointer me thinks we will see a highly talented CB selected in May thus making those two the 4th & 5th CB's in 2014.

I see Armstrong replacing UFA Dunbar. I see Bates becoming the first reserve Lber in place of Spoon. Rams will add a MLB'er somewhere in the draft.

Tim Barnes who will enter his 4th NFL season & his 4th season as a Ram has been groomed for two season to be the new Ram Center in 2014. Barnes has been active for 31 Ram games & started 4. In the final five games when he played center only one game was played poorly the last game of the yr the entire OL was in FAIL mode. Those two starting OG 's CW & SS who are UFA's in that last game will cost 3 to 4 mil to resign ...so the Rams will replace them with younger Brandon Washington @ OLG & Barrett Jones ORG in TC for approx 3 mil less. Mike Persons will be in the mix @ both OG spots in TC too. If the Rams do not draft any OL'ers in the top of the draft those are your starting OG's.

I agree with most everything you said above, with the exception of the LB situation. I just don't see either Armstrong or Bates being in the mix as a potential starter. Bates, while a VERY GOOD Special Teams player, just doesn't have the size to be an every down LB, even in a backup role. I think they find a better VETERAN replacement, if, and to me, its a big if, they don't re-sign Dunbar.

Armstrong, while being an athlete, didn't show me anything in terms of maturity, or discipline to think he could be taken seriously as a starter.

I have touted Cody Davis as the best kept secret on the roster. He will enter NEXT season in the same situation as McLeod came into this year. A full year in the system, with the "measurables" to compete for the position. HE has the size, speed, smarts, and most importantly, is the best tackler of the current guys on the roster. Might not be the biggest hitter, but he GETS THE GUY ON THE GROUND.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
McGee will definitely have a bigger role on defense right out of the gate. 3rd/Nickle. As others pointed out, I'm not very optimistic about Ray Ray if he can't show more maturity on the field. Jones needs to live in the weight room this offseason imo. Especially if we're continuing our ground and pound mentality next year.

Jones has been living in the weight room all year. “Barrett has done a real good job in the weight room, and he’s gained a lot of strength," coach Jeff Fisher said. "So, he’ll be ready to go. Obviously, he’ll know what to do and how to do it, he just hasn’t had an opportunity.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4016/barrett-jones-patiently-waiting-for-chance

Alan

Legend
I really only like Davis and Jones and even then I'm not excited about them starting. My hope is that most of these guy get beat out by much better players. Come on FA and the draft!