What Packers Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
PLEASE do not read this as negativity or lack of enthusiasm coming off an impressive victory but I'd be really surprised if we carve out a victory vs GB. They have a tremendous home field advantage, the have the NFL's best QB, they are 4-0 and they can beat you so many ways. Things that the Rams must do:

1) don't fall for the Rodgers hard count
2) Rodgers will throw deep even if WR covered. He gets a ton of ticky tack PI and WR coming back for underthrown balls
3) Jenkins CANNOT bite on double moves
4) You must almost spy Rodgers IMO. He is very dangerous with his feet and arm
5) You must be able to control the TOP (Which we suck at so far).
6) The Pack is banged up but they seem like NE in that some unknown will step forward and make a difference.
7) This is a game where the Offense of the Rams MUST win the game. The Rams will not win 17-14. They need Gurley and Austin to step up again. They need to sustain drives. They need to score TDs vs FGs when they have the chance.

I just don't see it happening. What I Do hope is that IF they lose they do so respectably and in a close hard fought game. I think the Rams CAN be very dangerous if they play that way coming back out of the bye. If they are 2-3 that is about what I expected and hoped with wins over two quality teams. To go in 3-2 is a HUGE difference.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I've seen the Rams do this too many times including the Skins game they laid an egg on, and a Steelers game begging for them to take late.

A few last things: the screens will work vs GB, If Cook doesn't deliver something in this game I'm all for benching him or seriously reducing his PT and going with Harkey, Kendricks, or more 1 TE sets.

I really think we will know a lot more about what Rams team we may have for the season in this game. A win vs GB going into the bye week at 3-2 through a pretty tough starting schedule would really impress me. Finally, I don't think AO comes back. I've had a similiar injury and know that he is a stud athlete with the best Docs and Rehab people but this type of injury is really more of a 4- 6 month injury. He may come back but I just can't see having the explosiveness and speed he had prior to the injury.

Go Rams!

What is up FM........

Love seing you and man I wish you would post more you are great.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Apparently Pete Prisco wrote an article about the Packers blocking down field before a pass is ever thrown. . . Hopefully we see some reactions from refs during this game as a result of that article.

I'd also like to mention that Jenks and Trumaine are pretty good at taking on the blocks to limit the play.

dhaab

Rookie
Apparently Pete Prisco wrote an article about the Packers blocking down field before a pass is ever thrown. . . Hopefully we see some reactions from refs during this game as a result of that article.

I'd also like to mention that Jenks and Trumaine are pretty good at taking on the blocks to limit the play.

I've seen a big trend towards these kinds of passing plays in the entire NFL over the past few years. Receivers start blocking before the pass is even made and yet the majority of refs never call a penalty on the play.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I've seen a big trend towards these kinds of passing plays in the entire NFL over the past few years. Receivers start blocking before the pass is even made and yet the majority of refs never call a penalty on the play.

Ya i always wondered how those read options with an option to pass to the wr after qb keeps it works. somewhere down the line there has to be a guy going downfield, if not theres no way that play works as a run

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
^ It is exactly the type of play that you would see the Rams flagged for immediately.

RamWoodie

Legend
I have a feeling about this game...the Rams will either show up ready to play or they won't be up to the task. There is no in between.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
^ It is exactly the type of play that you would see the Rams flagged for immediately.
Whenever the Rams line up to play football...
giphy.gif
th
th

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they are forced to use screen game I hope Refs are alerted to how packers block with receivers before pass is thrown. Its part of their scheme. Its really too obvious to miss and it being a home game I'm afraid they will get away with it a lot . The pack run two receivers with a trailer who gets it. The two leading receivers seem to always be blocking before the ball is even thrown. Refs let AR get away with it. SUX.

This.

I was pointing this out during the game against Kansas City. You can't block until the receiver catches the ball. The Packers almost always block before the receiver catches it. That's offensive pass interference. The refs need to start calling it if they're going to call bullshit roughing the passer and defensive pass interference calls.

Case in point:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000541819/Packers-Aaron-Rodgers-finds-Randall-Cobb-for-a-4-yard-TD

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000541862/Packers-Aaron-Rodgers-finds-Randall-Cobb-again-for-4-yard-TD

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling Gurley won't need a Lead Blocker very often!!:D
He doesn't need it, but it can help with misdirection just like Austin and Gurley feeding off of each other's success.

To me, it's about the timing with the way the defense is reading your plays, you kind of force them to commit at different points as the play develops.

No two ways about it, they need to keep using Harkey as a fullback and as a tight end just as much as people want to see the slot receiver go in motion from time to time.

And I agree with the others. Cook is the mistake they just won't admit to ... yet.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are only excerpts from this Q&A. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...anscript/ea54f5aa-01ee-4f76-a952-e437e444b3ef

Packers Chat with Mike Spofford

Do you think we need to watch out for a 'trap game' this weekend. Rams no pushover

This is not a trap game in any sense of the word, Tony. The Rams have beaten the Seahawks and Cardinals. They are legitimate playoff contenders.
-------
The defense has really stepped up so far this season. Who would you say is your defensive MVP through the first 4 games?

Without a doubt it's Matthews. He makes this defense go. He's Dom Capers' ultimate chess piece, and he's the best athlete on defense.
--------
What's the biggest challenge in facing the Rams?

Gurley and that pass rush. Both are formidable.
-------
Randall Cobb's shoulder looked a bit sore, any thoughts about giving him some time off to heal?

If he hasn't rested by now, I don't see that happening. I'm sure Randall wants to get through these next two games and get to the bye.
--------
What do you think it says about our improved defense over the last 3 weeks that we can hold Lynch, Charles, Kapernick, and Hyde in check?

I've seen a combination of speed and power on defense that I don't think the Packers have had for a while, KK.
--------
I'd like to read your thoughts about the Ty Montgomery strong start

What's not to like? If he catches that deep ball on the first play Sunday, we're talking about him a lot more.
-------
I have to imagine with the Rams coming into town, there is going to be a major emphasis on protecting Rodgers after the o-line seemed to be pushed around a lot last week. What do the Packers do to slow down the Rams impressive d-line?

It comes down to winning one-on-ones. The Rams don't have to blitz much with that front line, so the Packers will have to win their battles. You can't help everybody all the time or there's no one to throw to.
--------
Another week another tough running back. I take it stopping the run will be the packers main objective once again on defense. Who else do the rams have that we should watch for on offense?

Tavon Austin is a speedy, dynamic receiver. They like to throw short and get him in open space. He's a game-breaker potentially.
--------
What player on the roster do you expect to emerge in the later part of the season?

We're just seeing the start of things with Ty Montgomery. On defense, I would have been inclined to say Jake Ryan but missing time now with the hamstring injury doesn't help him. We might see more of Quinten Rollins too. He certainly looks ready to step in whenever needed.
-------
What does St. Louis do best?

They're now running the ball with Gurley to go with a stout defense. They forced the Cardinals to kick five field goals last week. It's a tough unit to finish drives against.
--------
We've been talking a lot about the great RBs the Packers would be facing the first 3 weeks, overlooking Hyde and Gurley a little bit but it recently dawned on me the first 5 weeks will have them facing great rush attacks. I'd say the defense has stepped up so far. What challenges do you see Gurley bringing this Sunday?

When the season began, no one was sure if Gurley would be playing in Week 5. He broke out last week and now here we are. He looks incredibly fast to me, and he's got size, too. He's exactly the type of RB that Jeff Fisher loves to use as a workhorse.
-------
Do you think the 49ers game plan to commit to coverage and concede the run is something other teams will try. I think the Rams have the D-Line to have some success with that strategy on Sunday.

I fully expect that to be their plan. I'm anticipating seeing two safeties deep, and they're going to invite the run against a six-man box. The Packers have to win that.
--------
How important is it that we've played the best pass rushers at home? It is going to be a huge challenge in Denver.

Excellent point. We saw the difference somewhat this past Sunday. The 49ers didn't jump offside once and give 12 a free play. It's always an advantage for the pass rush to be at home where the offense needs a silent count.
--------
Seems like penalties killed at least one drive on Sunday. Offensive holding was the one I saw the most. I believe overall the Packers had 6 penalties for 70 yards on Sunday that seems like a lot to me. Your thoughts?

McCarthy has mentioned penalties as something they want to clean up. I did see on one play Sunday when Sitton was called for holding it was a smart play by him. Something was off with the line call and there would have been a free guy coming right at Aaron, so he just grabbed his shoulder and spun him around. You have to accept those kinds of penalties, because the alternative is worse.
---------
Is Don Barclay struggling or is he doing an admirable job against some top notch pass rushers?

He didn't have his best game Sunday after two solid performances against top rushers. There's no reason to sugarcoat that. What I like is the offensive linemen as a group were not particularly happy after the game on Sunday. They know they didn't play their best. That's why I'm confident in a bounce-back game this week.
---------
I'm running out of things to worry about. Can you help me think of one?

Don't worry, but have the utmost respect for the Rams. They're for real.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
We play our best when we have no chance. No worries here.

Seems like we play our best only when it's against a division rival.

I see no way we win this game, but I fucking HATE Greenbay and all the fair weather fans they have. Beating them, and the Cubs this weekend would make my year.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Seems like we play our best only when it's against a division rival.

I see no way we win this game, but I freaking HATE Greenbay and all the fair weather fans they have. Beating them, and the Cubs this weekend would make my year.

Nah, see Broncos or Colts. We can beat other teams too and we can in impressive fashion. There's not a single team in the NFL we cannot beat when we're playing at our best. I believe in us, even when no one else does. That's not to say we will win, it's a tough game. But we have a very real chance and I expect us to.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://pro32.ap.org/article/packers-offensive-line-faces-challenge-against-rams
Packers offensive line faces challenge against Rams
Oct. 7, 2015

• 460x.jpg

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer (3) loses the ball as he is sacked by St. Louis Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis (55) during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 4, 2015, in Glendale, Ariz. (David Kadlubowski/The Arizona Republic via AP)

• 460x.jpg

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer (3) throws under pressure against the St. Louis Rams during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 4, 2015, in Glendale, Ariz. (David Kadlubowski/The Arizona Republic via AP)

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Aaron Rodgers hasn't lost confidence in the Green Bay Packers' offensive line.

But the reigning NFL MVP knows that his guys will face their biggest challenge of the season Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.

"Most teams have either great guys outside or guys that are going to move the pocket inside. This front four can all get after the passer," the Packers quarterback said Wednesday, as he prepared for the Rams' foursome of Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Chris Long. "That's the kind of D-line you'd love to have as a D-coordinator."

The Rams will come to Lambeau Field tied with the Packers for second in the NFL in sacks with 17. Donald (3 1/2), Quinn (3.0) and Long (2.0) have accounted for 8 1/2 of them.

In Sunday's 24-22 victory at Arizona, the Rams sacked the Cardinals' Carson Palmer four times and had 10 quarterback hits.

The Packers are coming off a 17-3 victory at San Francisco in which Rodgers was sacked a season-high three times after he'd been sacked three times in the first three games combined.

"Their ability to create penetration really sets the whole tone for their defense," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "It's a big test for us."

There may be help on the way, however. Veteran right tackle Bryan Bulaga, who missed the past three games after suffering a left knee injury in practice three days before the team's Sept. 20 game against Seattle, returned to practice on a limited basis Wednesday.

Bulaga, who missed the entire 2013 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, avoided the same fate this time, reportedly only damaging the medial collateral ligament and meniscus.

Still, he said he'll have to do more during Thursday's in-pads practice to show he's ready to return to game action, especially against a group as good as the Rams' line.

"They're a very good front. It's a good team," Bulaga said. "This is the NFL. Anytime you're going to come back you're going to play good pass rushers or good D-linemen or good defense.

"I'm not really looking at it from that standpoint. Just getting back into action after three weeks off is a challenge. Tomorrow is a new day and we'll see how that goes."

Bulaga's replacement, Don Barclay, struggled against the 49ers, allowing three sacks. The Packers coaches didn't give Barclay much blocking help from their running backs and tight ends, however, and if Barclay is the starter again Sunday, they may have to alter their approach.

"We do it when we think it's necessary," associate head coach-offense Tom Clements said of giving protection help. "There are times maybe we should do it more. It's always easy to say after the fact that you wish you would have done things a little differently. That happens every game, whether it's a pass play or a run play. You sit back and you analyze and you see what happened and try to make adjustments going forward."

Something else happened against the 49ers that hadn't happened in the first three games: The Packers' three interior linemen — center Corey Linsley and guards Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang — allowed San Francisco's defensive tackles to push them back and collapse the pocket — giving Rodgers less room to operate and fewer escape routes.

The Rams will look to do the same thing Sunday.

"That's something we've got to do," Donald said on a conference call on Wednesday afternoon. "He's a mobile quarterback. He can take off and run. He can move great in the pocket and he can throw on the run. (We need to) just keep him contained, not let him get too comfortable back there because the type of quarterback he is, if he gets comfortable back there, it's going to be a long day.

"We just have to collapse gaps and don't give him any step up lanes or throwing lanes to get free. If we do that and keep him bottled up, we should be fine."

Sounds like somebody is worried about the MOB SQUAD, no matter what all the glossy stats say....

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
They're now running the ball with Gurley to go with a stout defense. They forced the Cardinals to kick five field goals last week. It's a tough unit to finish drives against.
--------
We've been talking a lot about the great RBs the Packers would be facing the first 3 weeks, overlooking Hyde and Gurley a little bit but it recently dawned on me the first 5 weeks will have them facing great rush attacks. I'd say the defense has stepped up so far. What challenges do you see Gurley bringing this Sunday?

When the season began, no one was sure if Gurley would be playing in Week 5. He broke out last week and now here we are. He looks incredibly fast to me, and he's got size, too. He's exactly the type of RB that Jeff Fisher loves to use as a workhorse.
-------

There should be no question as to what we're going to do on offense. We'll try to run the ball (no matter what), and keep Rodgers off the field. We need to gives Foles the ability to audible out of some of these situations though. We ran against a 9 man box multiple times last Sunday. That's just not smart playcalling, and it's not going to help anything. Fisher needs to quit being so stubborn on this issue. I understand establishing the run is a big part of this teams philosophy, but to be honest, we don't have the most dominate line in the league. There's other players on this team that can help us win. We need to take full advantage of them on this game. Create some mismatches and go for it. PROTECT FOLES.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://pro32.ap.org/article/packers-offensive-line-faces-challenge-against-rams
Packers offensive line faces challenge against Rams
Oct. 7, 2015

• 460x.jpg

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer (3) loses the ball as he is sacked by St. Louis Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis (55) during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 4, 2015, in Glendale, Ariz. (David Kadlubowski/The Arizona Republic via AP)

• 460x.jpg

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer (3) throws under pressure against the St. Louis Rams during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 4, 2015, in Glendale, Ariz. (David Kadlubowski/The Arizona Republic via AP)

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Aaron Rodgers hasn't lost confidence in the Green Bay Packers' offensive line.

But the reigning NFL MVP knows that his guys will face their biggest challenge of the season Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.

"Most teams have either great guys outside or guys that are going to move the pocket inside. This front four can all get after the passer," the Packers quarterback said Wednesday, as he prepared for the Rams' foursome of Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Chris Long. "That's the kind of D-line you'd love to have as a D-coordinator."

The Rams will come to Lambeau Field tied with the Packers for second in the NFL in sacks with 17. Donald (3 1/2), Quinn (3.0) and Long (2.0) have accounted for 8 1/2 of them.

In Sunday's 24-22 victory at Arizona, the Rams sacked the Cardinals' Carson Palmer four times and had 10 quarterback hits.

The Packers are coming off a 17-3 victory at San Francisco in which Rodgers was sacked a season-high three times after he'd been sacked three times in the first three games combined.

"Their ability to create penetration really sets the whole tone for their defense," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "It's a big test for us."

There may be help on the way, however. Veteran right tackle Bryan Bulaga, who missed the past three games after suffering a left knee injury in practice three days before the team's Sept. 20 game against Seattle, returned to practice on a limited basis Wednesday.

Bulaga, who missed the entire 2013 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, avoided the same fate this time, reportedly only damaging the medial collateral ligament and meniscus.

Still, he said he'll have to do more during Thursday's in-pads practice to show he's ready to return to game action, especially against a group as good as the Rams' line.

"They're a very good front. It's a good team," Bulaga said. "This is the NFL. Anytime you're going to come back you're going to play good pass rushers or good D-linemen or good defense.

"I'm not really looking at it from that standpoint. Just getting back into action after three weeks off is a challenge. Tomorrow is a new day and we'll see how that goes."

Bulaga's replacement, Don Barclay, struggled against the 49ers, allowing three sacks. The Packers coaches didn't give Barclay much blocking help from their running backs and tight ends, however, and if Barclay is the starter again Sunday, they may have to alter their approach.

"We do it when we think it's necessary," associate head coach-offense Tom Clements said of giving protection help. "There are times maybe we should do it more. It's always easy to say after the fact that you wish you would have done things a little differently. That happens every game, whether it's a pass play or a run play. You sit back and you analyze and you see what happened and try to make adjustments going forward."

Something else happened against the 49ers that hadn't happened in the first three games: The Packers' three interior linemen — center Corey Linsley and guards Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang — allowed San Francisco's defensive tackles to push them back and collapse the pocket — giving Rodgers less room to operate and fewer escape routes.

The Rams will look to do the same thing Sunday.

"That's something we've got to do," Donald said on a conference call on Wednesday afternoon. "He's a mobile quarterback. He can take off and run. He can move great in the pocket and he can throw on the run. (We need to) just keep him contained, not let him get too comfortable back there because the type of quarterback he is, if he gets comfortable back there, it's going to be a long day.

"We just have to collapse gaps and don't give him any step up lanes or throwing lanes to get free. If we do that and keep him bottled up, we should be fine."

Sounds like somebody is worried about the MOB SQUAD, no matter what all the glossy stats say....

We need to be on the officials early an often about holding. We got held so fucking much last week it wasn't even funny. We need every fucking call come Sunday.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook is pitiful as a blocker even as a WR! I am having a problem in seeing a role for him on this team.
Someone actually said they thought Cook was a better blocker than Kendricks.

Got to wonder about that one!

Rams paid a lot of money for half a TE.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Green Bay Packers ( 4 - 0 )

• Total Offense = 10th
    Passing Offense = 21st
    Rushing Offense = 3rd

Total Defense = 8th
    Passing Defense = 7th
    Rushing Defense = 21st

Points For = 28.2 (6th)
    Points Against = 17.8 (4th)

St. Louis Rams ( 2 - 2 )

• Total Offense = 32nd
    Passing Offense = 28th
    Rushing Offense = 23rd

Total Defense = 16th
    Passing Defense = 14th
    Rushing Defense = 26th

Points For = 18.5 (25th)
    Points Against = 22.2 (13th)

I think this tells me what the Rams need to do...

Stop their running attack.