What Packers Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hmm, different thread than previous one I guess. Should have just added it to the first one maybe? Anyway, the fans seem fairly well balanced. They have the right to assume a win but show caution in what we bring to the table. I didn't realize GB had 17 sacks as well though so that'll be interesting. Another great test for the o-line and another reason I hope our 4th quarter run blocking this past sunday happens for a whole game against GB cause we'll need to pound that rock even when Gurley isn't carrying it. Hopefully Williams calls a good game blitz package wise.

The Packers have moved Clay Matthews inside to DT. It doesn't sound like it would work.......but it works. They are being praised for the move since he has been so effective. Maybe they got to thinking that Donald is short and quick.......maybe the quickness of Matthews can win on the inside? I never would have thought it would be successful, but either way I am sure Fisher is aware of it and making plans...........if not, then he should be.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
One thing that's outside the Rams control that just makes this tough is this: historically it's been tough for any team to win the second road game.

That's just a fact. Add that to the home field advantage for GB and our Rams have a steep hill to climb.

I think they can do it, but I'm under no illusion that this isn't a serious uphill battle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Only real concern I have in this is the OL vs the Rams pass rush

We talk about the Packers pass rush....well, Rams are tied with GB in sacks with 17(2nd in NFL only behind Denver). They get after the QB big time

And they have not seen a pass rush like the Rams have.

I cant see how they score on us. Gurley is good, but their line is garbage.

Misinformed fan at best. He can't see how the Rams score on them because he is blinded by green and yellow.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Anyone know why the Rams/Packers game is on CBS this Sunday?
This is part of the new TV agreement I believe were the NFL/Networks can flex more popular games into slots on the other major network so that both sides win. You will see this happen in both directions so don't be surprised when you see the AFC on FOX. The NFL and the Networks are really trying to maximize their abilities to provide the best/desirable games to the public (to make more money). Great move for all involved.

Rainram

Starter
I examined the significant Gurley plays, and in his first big run, Harkey went into the hole first, taking Kevin Minter (ILB) out of the play....In a different play, Harky pulled far right to block on the edge, but Gurley with excellent vision, cut inside for another 1st down...On another run, Harkey crosses over left to block Calais Campbell (I think), helping to open the hole for Gurley...So of the six highlight plays, one of which is a screen. 3 of the 5 Harkey is heavily involved. Depending how you look at it, Harkey opened that first level so Gurley could attack the 2nd level in two of the three plays he was invoved in...I think Harkey doing this works...Take a look yourself...

I saw one play where Harkey contributed to the run. Am I wrong? Which others?

I love me some FB, but some runners need help on the line at the snap far more than a lead blocker. I still think Gurley is one of those.

This goes back to his college days too. Throw everything at the line, let Gurley sort it out.

Either way, love me some Gurley!

I re-watched the game, and one thing is for damn sure: Cook is perhaps the worst blocking TE I've ever seen.

There were a couple plays where if he even tried to block his guy, Gurley picks up a nice gain. Watching Cook in the run game is pitiful and should never be employed going forward. It's so detrimental to the offense, and you know Fisher, Cigs and Co. have to be equally frustrated/pissed.

Penguin.

Rookie
The Packers are the best team in the NFL currently. Their defense is crazy, and their offense is the best in the NFL. I can see us sticking with them, but unless we get a couple turnovers, our defense will tire out. If it is cold, I want Gurley and Mason hammering the ball down their throats. We are the most physical team in football and if it is pretty cold up in Lambue, we may have this. Though, if Rodgers airs it out, I worry for us. I really do. Have not seen a QB like him ever.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I re-watched the game, and one thing is for damn sure: Cook is perhaps the worst blocking TE I've ever seen.

There were a couple plays where if he even tried to block his guy, Gurley picks up a nice gain. Watching Cook in the run game is pitiful and should never be employed going forward. It's so detrimental to the offense, and you know Fisher, Cigs and Co. have to be equally frustrated/pissed.

Cook is pitiful as a blocker even as a WR! I am having a problem in seeing a role for him on this team.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree. TGII's vision, power, & sheer balance makes up for a lead fullback in most instances.

It's like with TA. TA just needs you to make a hole or block a defender, and get out of the way. TA fails when teammates watch him and try to figure out where he's going. All they need to do is throw a block in any direction and let TA figure it out.

Gurley, IMHO, would do better with an extra body on the line helping make holes and letting him decide where he's going. Of course, lead blocking will create plays too, but I just don't think that's the best use with his skill sets.

RamzFanz

Damnit

If Cook isn't in the doghouse right now, I just don't get it. Not saying he can't bounce back but dude is a major let down right now. Catch the ball, throw a block.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Packers have moved Clay Matthews inside to DT. It doesn't sound like it would work.......but it works. They are being praised for the move since he has been so effective. Maybe they got to thinking that Donald is short and quick.......maybe the quickness of Matthews can win on the inside? I never would have thought it would be successful, but either way I am sure Fisher is aware of it and making plans...........if not, then he should be.

i'm pretty sure they moved him to ILB. he has helped them with their run d from that position. but they still let him get after the qb here and there.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
He was very good when he was healthy and could stay out of trouble at Georgia. Georgia had a pretty reliable passing game with Aaron Murray though, which helped take the pressure off him and he had some solid backups (Nick Chubb who is tearing it up now). Gurley is a very good player, but I don't think he was a special talent or the next Adrian Peterson.
---------
Gurley is a pretty darn good back, but not an AP. Gotta give props to him for continuing his career after one of the most gruesome knee injuries I've ever seen.

do these guys even watch football?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
^I know Gurley tore his ACL but I don't remember it being all that gruesome. . . He made a cut and his knee gave out.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.packershome.com/forum/posts/t24081-GameDay--2015--Green-Bay-Packers-vs-St--Louis-Rams

GameDay [2015] Green Bay Packers vs St. Louis Rams

Green Bay Packers ( 4 - 0 )

• Total Offense = 10th
    Passing Offense = 21st
    Rushing Offense = 3rd

Total Defense = 8th
    Passing Defense = 7th
    Rushing Defense = 21st

Points For = 28.2 (6th)
    Points Against = 17.8 (4th)

St. Louis Rams ( 2 - 2 )

• Total Offense = 32nd
    Passing Offense = 28th
    Rushing Offense = 23rd

Total Defense = 16th
    Passing Defense = 14th
    Rushing Defense = 26th

Points For = 18.5 (25th)
    Points Against = 22.2 (13th)

---------
This to me is a tough game to call, despite the apparent disparity in the team rankings.

I'll go with GB in a closer-than-it-should-be victory:

GB 30
StL 23

StL gets in scoring position six times. One ends in a turnover, two in TDs, and three in FGs.

Rodgers with 4 TDs passing.

Play of the game: Jayrone Elliot gets a safety.
--------
I agree. I think this game will be much closer than it needs to be. Rodgers will likely be under constant pressure and might throw an interception. But there's no reason the Packers should lose this game.
--------
When Bulaga went down I was real worried about this game because I thought it was in St Louis on turf. Should still be a tough game vs their front 4.
-------
At home the Packers are almost invincible when they face a non frequent opponent.

I project an easy win this week for us, teams like the RAMs with a very good defense perform much better at home adding the crowd noise and the cheering after every defensive play. At Lambeau that advantage liquifies.

Packers 30 Rams 17 (30-10 entering the 4th quarter)
---------
The Rams have been extremely inconsistent - capable of beating good teams and losing to bad ones.

The Packers better beware of the Rams pass rush and D in general. As if it wasn't clear enough already, the Packers O Line got exposed against the Niners. I wish Walker would get a try replacing Barclay. It's all gonna come down to Aaron Rodgers' escapability and accuracy again - and barring injury, our chances are pretty good with that.

I don't know if our D is really that good or just that the offenses have been that bad. Foles throws better than Kaepernick but he has historically been susceptible to a good pass rush. The key to the game - I hope - is that their receivers probably are not good enough to beat Packer man coverage.

Packers 34 Rams 17
--------
This will come down to our ability to run to football at key moments.
---------
We've got the greatest QB in the history of the world and a mediocre O Line. Letting Aaron Rodgers do his thing is the obvious way to win.
---------
Not if they are playing coverage and there is nowhere to throw. You think Aaron will take a risk of throwing an interception? No way. This guy goes mental after every pick. I don't subscribe to your logic. If the opponent plays coverage, they are testing your running game. Test them back.
---------
I'll be damned if Clements continues to act like McCarthy and NOT give our tackles some edge help in pass protection. There isn't even a guy chipping and it is needed badly. There were so many unnecessary hits Rodgers took against the 49ers because Barclay couldn't pass protect against Aaron Lynch.

He struggles with speed. There are also a good amount of times where you see Bakhtiari just get bull rushed (he can't play against strong guys).

The edge needs help.
---------
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/10/6/9460737/ask-turf-show-times-rams-packers

Ask Turf Show Times: Rams - Packers
By Douglas M@thenovelroad

I'm an Editor and writer for Turf Show Times, the SBN site for all-things St. Louis Rams. I thought I'd drop in to chat a little football with you, and both ask/answer questions about the up coming game. I'll be inviting the TST faithful to visit too, so please let me know if anyone should forget they're a guest here at Acme Packing Co.
---------
Welcome!
On the Defense… addition by subtraction. Getting rid of two subpar ILBs and replacing them with more athletic youngsters has really seemed to help out. Also BJ Raji getting back to NT instead of DE has really helped. Also a nice jump from some 2nd, 3rd and even 4th year players have really helped the D.

How is the Rams D looking this year?
-------
They came out of the gate hot, then trotted for a week against Washington...
But the key components are there. This could turn into something special when it comes to the front four. At linebacker, the Rams lost #3 in the NFL tackler Alec Ogletree to a fractured ankle against the Cardinals. Akeem Ayers – signed in the off season – and newly re-signed JoLonn Dunbar should be able to take up some of what will be missed.

The rams secondary is playing its best football right now. Long a team weakness, the Rams’ safeties right now are ‘frickin buzz-saws. Mark Barron will be tasked with being the second contact guy that’ll be needed to hogtie Eddie Lacy before he gets going. I’m not sure any defense can shutdown Aaron Rodgers, but it will be fun to watch…
-------
How's Barron fitting in over there?
You guys got him for a steal if I remember correctly
-------
He's been playing great
Always around the play and the ball, and he hits like a mack truck.
---------
Welcome!
Looking forward to this game. StL is a team I’ve been quietly hoping to see progress over the last couple seasons, and the wins over SEA and ARI were both very impressive.

Did you think the Packer defense would be as good as its been so far this season?
NO. Week 2, I thought Lynch would run all over GB. Week 3, I thought Charles would run all over GB. Week 4, I thought Kaepernick would run all over GB. Now I’m starting to feel convinced that Capers/McCarthy have these guys playing on a new level. CMIII has been playing the inside like a banshee, and guys have stepped up tremendously on the outside as well (most notably Jayrone Elliott and Nick Perry). Add to that the stellar play of Mike Daniels and the reemergence of Raji, and it looks like we all of a sudden have a pretty good front 7 again.

Aaron Rodgers is – without a doubt – the best quarterback in the NFL.
Agreed.

How has the team managed to stay so lethal through the air given it’s missing guys like Jordy Nelson, ect?
Rodgers is playing out of his mind right now. Despite both OTs allowing a pretty consistent amount of pressure and missing his #1 target, Aaron has been one force to reckon with. And that’s why from this point forward, I will refer to him only as Aar Force One***

Questions about StL:
  • What are your thoughts on Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin in terms of what’s expected of them against GB and for the remainder of the season?
  • Does the StL fan base perceive the Rams to be a playoff team in 2015? If so, do you expect to win the division or attain a WC spot?
  • How do you think StL beats GB from an offensive standpoint?
  • How would Rodgers best attack the StL defense?
----------
What are your thoughts on Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin in terms of what’s expected of them against GB and for the remainder of the season?

The task they have would seem very simple on the surface: They have to make themselves matter to opposing DCs. On any offense, the number of things that can complicate a defense’s life is key. The Rams haven’t had anyone – for quite some time – who could garner attention, or even cause a shift in defensive scheme for opposing teams. Gurley – if he can replicate what he did in the second half against a VERY good Arizona defense – will take pressure off of the Rams inexperienced offensive line, and make play action fakes something defensive players will have to respect.

Does the StL fan base perceive the Rams to be a playoff team in 2015? If so, do you expect to win the division or attain a WC spot?

Honestly, while the dream of the Rams making the post season does tickle my mind at times, realistically I doubt any Rams fan is close to expecting it to happen in 2015.

How do you think StL beats GB from an offensive standpoint?

Ball control, and consuming the clock is the only way the Rams win this game.

How would Rodgers best attack the StL defense?

Great quarterbacks make defense doubt themselves. It’s part of what amazes me about Rodgers too. He can throw from the pocket, on the run to either side, and is down right undervalued in the moments where he tucks the ball away and runs. His field vision is second to none, and he make virtually anyone who plays wide receiver for the Packers into a star. Frankly, I’m in awe of what Aaron Rodgers can do…
--------
I think your questions were well answered, so one of mine, if I may,

The Rams looked shockingly good against Seattle, and even better in defeating the Cardinals (thanks for the playoffs help, BTW!! ) but then they surprised by underwhelming against the Redskins and a QB-less Steelers. Were these a surprise, and what do you factor these losses to? What do you attribute these wins to?
--------
Keep in mind the Steelers had Big Ben in there for about 3 quarters
and we held them to one TD. If we jut would have been able to score one TD, we would have beaten them. Our offense is predicated on the run game, and it looks like our extremely young/inexperienced offensive line is beginning to gel, so I’m confident we will continue to improve on that side of the ball. Also, even though that was a home game for us, the place was packed with Steelers fans, so we had to move to a silent count in our own dome! That was frustrating.

Same offensive issues in the Washington game, and for some reason they were able to run all over us. I don’t think that will happen again this season.

We have the talent to beat anyone in the league, but considering we are the youngest team for the 3rd straight year, we are still working on consistency.
--------
Thanks.
Look at the silent count at home as good practice for Lambeau. It’ll be louder there.

Follow-up; Are you concerned about the running game, given how well we’ve held down Lynch, Charles and Hyde over the last three weeks? (pay no attention to that guy with 22 on his chest over there in the corner)
--------
The Rams running game isn't one predicated on the same skill-sets as those of the teams you mentioned.
It all hinges on whether Gurley or Tre Mason can get into a rhythm that matches what their OL can do… Nick Foles can beat any team who just stops paying attention to a player, and they give him time to throw. Against AZ, Stedman Bailey had to be at least a #3 check-down, but Foles found him in the endzone…

I’m actually more concerned about the GB running game. You have to realize just how physical NFC West games are when inter-division foes collide. Injury lists are one thing, but EVERY player gets flat out banged up. If the Rams defense is still hobbling around against GB, Lacy will flat out run over them…
-------
This team looks to be strong at home and a little soft on the road. Is this an ongoing trend?
The Packers are probably 10+ pts better at home than they are on the road but I think St. Louis has the best defense they will play this season. They seem to play the NFC West very tough but not so much for the rest of the conference.
---------
Young football teams in the NFL always tend to struggle...
The Rams don’t travel well outside of the NFC West.

Just curious… When the schedule came out and you saw the NFC North would be playing the NFC West, what did you think? I know SF took a nosedive this past off season, but the defenses of STL, AZ and SEA have to make opposing OCs groan a bit, eh?
-------
Thanks for stopping by
Alec Ogletree seems like a huge loss (admittedly, I have yet to see much Rams action), how much impact do you think his injury will have on the Rams’ ability to defend the middle of the field? Rodgers generally makes a living throwing outside the hashmarks, but without Jordy Nelson, our passing game looks very different.
-------
NFL=Next Man up
Meet: Akeem Ayers…..he’s got the middle covered just like Ogletree. With a lil help from Mark barron
--------
Welcome to the site
Our defense has been a huge surprise this season. I think a big part of that has been the return of BJ Raji. Last season he sat out with a torn bicep so it’s nice to see him come back hungry. Seeing players like Nick Perry and Datone Jones stay healthy and make big plays on the defense has been encouraging as well. I think the win over Seattle gave them a huge boost in confidence.

Part of the reason why the passing game has remained as effective as it’s been is because of the return of James Jones. Before he left for Oakland in 2014, Jones was one of Rodgers’ top targets. Out tight end Richard Rodgers has been a bit of a surprise this season too. He’s always been a threat in the redzone,but this season he’s gotten open downfield a little more, including a couple times where he did so on Richard Sherman.

Of course though, a very good part of it has to do with Aaron Rodgers just being Aaron Rodgers. Sometimes there isn’t anything anyone could do to stop him. He’s playing some of the best football of his life right now

I have a couple questions for you.
1. I’m sure one of the biggest stories for the Rams this season was trading Sam Bradford to the Eagles for Nick Foles. How do you think the addition of Foles has impacted the Rams this season? My brother is an Eagles fan so I I feel like I have to ask, have you seen much of Bradford in Philly? If so, is what they’ve seen so far a good indicator of what to expect the rest of the season?

2. The Rams have pulled off two pretty big wins this season against the Seahawks and Cardinals. What did the Rams do well in those games that caused them to pull out the W?

3. Which player on the Packers(other than Aaron Rodgers) do you think is the biggest cause for concern for the Rams?

4. Which player do you think we should be the most concerned about on the Rams? Personally, Robert Quinn scares me the most. Our offensive line has been pretty inconsistent this season, and I believe he would be lining up across from Don Barclay, who has had his struggles since taking over for Bryan Bulaga after his injury a few weeks ago. If I’m correct about the two of them matching up then Rodgers may have a lot of running to do.

5. How many wins do you think the Rams could end up with this season? Looking at the schedule I counted 6 more wins to add to the 2 the Rams currently have to bring the total to 8 with 9 or 10 not being out of the question. How realistic would winning 10 games be this season?

Sorry I got carried away. I guess I had a lot more to ask than I thought. I don’t get much exposure to the Rams but I’ve seen them as a team on the rise the past couple of seasons. Good luck Sunday.
--------
Here we go..............
1. Foles can at least make it through warm ups and actually start games. He’s done so 4 times this year now and I think our other offensive assets are getting used to it. It matters that someone can suit up. It’s not much to ask you’d think….until it doesn’t happen. If Bradford stays healthy in Philly the arrow should move upward for him. His problem was never performance so much as being able to stay on the field. If he has the whole season and maybe next season the trade will look better for the Eagles than for us.

2. To pull out the wins we didn’t give up the big play. At least not the back breakers that killed us at Washington. Arizonas offense had their way with us but we seemed to stop them at the red zone. Pittsburgh was the same way in the first half, though we seemed to respond in the second half there we were offensively absent, and behind so….. Against Seattle we had some offense but defense was still in pre-season.

3. If Raji is as effective Sunday as he’s been this year he’s gotta be my pick for player of concern. We need to control the line of scrimmage and he’s a tough nut at NT.

4. Hard to argue with Quinn if his opposition is replacement level, but he, as you well know, isn’t the only one comin from the F4. If Barclay needs help on Quinn someone may free up inside. I’m thinking you’ve seen Aaron Donald.

5. wins and losses are completely up in the air right now We’ve obviously demonstrated that we could be the Rams of recent past and fold under the slightest of pressure. But I think most of us have a rising silent level of real confidence that this year is the first of an above 500 run. So 10 wins isn’t out of the realm of believability, just don’t expect many of us to buy into it yet. Most of us are 8 win thinkin right now.

Good luck to you guys too, and as always, here’s to no injuries…..
----------
It appears to be the case every year, lately
but the Packers seem to draft so well. A couple of years ago, as I recall, the Pack lost their starting cornerbacks and the guys who came off the bench had great years; a fine example of team depth built by assessing needs and drafting accordingly. Also, allowing aging free agents to seek their millions elsewhere(a la Greg Jennings and, ahem, Scott Wells) doesn’t hurt the cause.

Is McCarthy the brains behind this regime, or is Ted Thompson the man behind the curtain?
--------
Thompson is the man...
pushing the buttons and pulling the levers to get the right players. Lucky for us, he’s had a lot more hits than misses. There’s some crazy stat that the NBC crew pulled out in the Sunday night game earlier this year where only 2 or 3 of the current Packers on the roster have EVER played for a different NFL team.

That’s draft and develop at it’s finest. He rarely delves into free agency and takes a gamble on a big name like he did with Julius Peppers. I think as much as recognizing talent, he’s keenly aware of what personality types will thrive in GB. Green Bay is not for everyone…and that’s not a knock on GB, it’s just different than just about every other NFL city. NYC is not for everyone either and GMs have to do their homework before drafting someone.

That being said, you still need the "develop" piece of the equation and the Packers have had decent continuity with their coaching staff and have been able to replace most departures adequately. The running joke around here has been the special teams coaching for several years (exhibit GB vs Seattle NFCCC last year) and we’ll see how that all pans out, but so far no major issues this year.

…and then you have Aaron Rodgers…. who has the ability to mask team deficiencies by his brilliant play. I am thankful for every single game I get to watch him play. I watch him like I used to watch Michael Jordan. You can’t believe some of things he does week in and week out. He makes everything look so damn easy. The window is only open for so long though, and I hope he can squeeze at least one more title out in the next few years.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We are gonna see how Ayers can bring down Starks and Lacy who is not 100% . If they are forced to use screen game I hope Refs are alerted to how packers block with receivers before pass is thrown. Its part of their scheme. Its really too obvious to miss and it being a home game I'm afraid they will get away with it a lot . The pack run two receivers with a trailer who gets it. The two leading receivers seem to always be blocking before the ball is even thrown. Refs let AR get away with it. SUX.

We need to stick these receivers like we started doing in Phoenix. The pack have some already dinged wr's. I think once they realize Donald and Brockers together are tougher than they can physically handle. Their OT's will struggle and probably HOLD Quinn & Long (Whats New?). Will the refs be as BLIND as the refs in Zona with the Donald HOLDS ALL GAME LONG?

Cignetti does not need gimmick stuff . Lets use Harkey and Kendricks as we have been. Major seal blocks in the gap like Kendricks' on 3rd quarter run. Harkey has done good lead work. Hope Laskey is being trained to be a real FB for next season as he was at GT.

We have never seen a passing game like this. Don't think a few hard hits getting home on AR and maybe his Elite throwing causes a bad throw maybe? We did get lucky with big Ben. Ben was having an elite start this year too. It may be our year and we don't know it yet. Play every game like a DIVISION game. Fishers trick ST plays will be something they will be waiting for. McCarthy is not stupid.

We will need a TO or ST score to even out home field. Ogletree's absence has not been mentioned much. JL will need to play ALL PRO level . Can't get washed out any. Ayers will need to be crisp play one . Don't think Bates is up to the task . Pretty sure Barron gets some spy work. Need our passing game to be on point. More peach basket throws. Glad I'm not coaching. NO INJURIES!!!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just read through the ending of a GDT featuring Packers and Niners from last week. . . The whole ending of the thread was them talking about facing the Broncos. I hope their whole team overlooks us in that same way.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams have a reputation. I say it's time to stop denying it and embrace it. You want to go to the hospital? Catch that ball.
Tell everyone the ..

mob_squad.jpg

.. is coming to Town, so get ready to ....

exaVP3j.jpg

.. Or we'll be Dancing on your Graves!!

Dancing Ape.gif