What NFC West Fans Are Saying About McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Los Angeles Rams have made the NFC West more competitive with their new hire

The Arizona Cardinals division just got better.
by Seth(loves) Cox@SCoxFB Jan 13, 2017, 10:30am MST TWEET
Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Welcome to the new NFC West.

After years of Jeff Fisher at the helm, good drafts that led to really nothing, the Rams made the move to save their franchise and hopefully get out of the mediocrity they've been mired in since 2012.

They drafted Jared Goff, who didn't look good in his short time, but can that really be pinned on him?

Now, they have turned the page to a young, intelligent offensive mind in Sean McVay, the 30 year old wunderkind, who helped pull two quality seasons out of Kirk Cousins in Washington.

Maybe that assists them in developing Goff, maybe that was part of the requirements to getting the job in Los Angeles.

One thing they always had, one reason they consistently found ways to beat the Cardinals over those five Fisher seasons, the Cardinals only swept the Rams one time, 2014, in the Fisher era, was a physical defense with talented individual players.

Now, they have one of the best defensive minds in NFL history pairing with that fast and physical defense with their hiring of Wade Phillips.

While I don't see it having an impact on the Rams ranking within the division in 2017, they have been a thorn in the Arizona Cardinals side the last five seasons with mediocrity.

Hopefully this isn't the Rams getting it right, because that just makes the NFC West even more competitive moving forward. Of course, competition breeds success, so maybe this will keep the Arizona Cardinals on their toes moving forward and not resting on what they've accomplished recently.

Hopefully it takes McVay a few years to get up to HC speed
I wish the Chargers better luck in LA except when playing the Cards. From no NFL team the past 20+ years to 2 NFLteams in just 2 years. Only in La-La Land. Twitter really ripped the Chargers new logo. The LOL is the best.

Posted by JethroBodine on Jan 13, 2017 | 11:07 AM
Let's also hope Shanahan stays in Atlanta.

Posted by Redbird Thunder on Jan 13, 2017 | 11:14 AM
Yep
Aargh to bad this season turned out like it did. 2016 was a prime time to dominate the NFC West. Palmer’s got one more legit shot IMO.

Posted by JethroBodine on Jan 13, 2017 | 11:46 AM
And the Chargers are ending up in a stadium that only seats what 30 thousand fans?
And given the lack of excitement, I’m not even sure if they will sell that out

Posted by JoeCB1991 on Jan 13, 2017 | 1:32 PM
A soccer stadium?
I think this stadium is going to be the premiere stadium in the NFL and it’s a great opportunity for us for the next 25, 30 years. – Dean Spanos
I guess after SD tax payers said no to a new stadium Spanos wanted out of SD asap. Qualcomm was built in 1967 and the worst stadium in the NFL so I kinda get it.

Posted by JethroBodine on Jan 13, 2017 | 2:05 PM
The soccer stadium is temporary, for 2 years, until the new Rams stadium is built

Posted by Gungus on Jan 13, 2017 | 3:15 PM
Washington had so many weapons that it would be easy to put an average QB in there and get good numbers out of them
Not really the same situation with the Rams

But Wade Phillips is a really good hire, especially with all that defensive talent they already had

Posted by JoeCB1991 on Jan 13, 2017 | 1:30 PM
This draft and next is loaded with day 2 OL/WR talent
Also, it’s not as though they invested heavily in their OL to make it as good as it was in Wash. Williams and Scherff 1st Rd picks, but the rest were just schemed well.
I really like McVay, not now though.
I honestly think pieces wise they’re further away on D. Need 3-4 DBs/LBs. But of course Phillips could mitigate that.
I want Fisher back if we’re being honest.

Posted by Seth Cox on Jan 13, 2017 | 2:38 PM
I'd rather throw Fisher to Seattle so he can drag them down

Posted by JoeCB1991 on Jan 13, 2017 | 4:20 PM
Ha, ha. If only.

Posted by hadrarius on Jan 14, 2017 | 9:31 AM
Please let that happen.

Posted by LARams1968 on Jan 14, 2017 | 8:49 PM
They do have a former #2 or #3 overall pick on their line
Same draft as Aaron Donald if I remember correctly. He busted for sure, but I’m not sure who else is on the line and where they got them.

Posted by Timmy.D on Jan 13, 2017 | 8:42 PM
GRab
Greg Robinson but grab fits his play style better. I don’t think I have ever seen an OL see a DL with a wide open shot to the QB and supposedly not see him when the ball is snapped. If I thought he was smarter, I would think he was doing that on purpose to get our QB hurt.

Posted by LARams1968 on Jan 14, 2017 | 8:45 PM
With our aging team, I expect us to be the worst team in the west for a few years probably in the 2018-2021 span
All good. Football is cyclical unless you’re the patriots or Bama

Posted by Chelsea75 on Jan 13, 2017 | 2:11 PM
Unless we hit on a QB this year!
HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!!

Posted by Timmy.D on Jan 13, 2017 | 8:39 PM
This is the year!!!

Posted by RedC on Jan 15, 2017 | 2:49 PM
1f60a.png

Posted by Gungus on Jan 15, 2017 | 5:05 PM
Well chelsea75,that all depends on the...
…O-line…if they build it Dallas strong,then even If the rest of the team is in rocking chairs having toaster pizza,we will still be competitive…if not,then buckle up Sparky,its gonna be a bumpy ride…

Posted by hminus888 on Jan 13, 2017 | 4:24 PM
That same Dallas O Line managed a 4-12 record the season before
There is a lot more to it than just a good O Line.

Posted by Gungus on Jan 13, 2017 | 4:45 PM
Particularly a injure quarterback and bad defense

Posted by Monsterdemo on Jan 13, 2017 | 6:34 PM
And the backup QBs didn't get to play with Dez Bryant very much either IIRC

Posted by JoeCB1991 on Jan 13, 2017 | 9:34 PM
If the previous 30 years have taught us ANYTHING...
…its that your WHOLE TEAM can be promising,but if your O-line is weak…then "yaint goin no-wheers"…

Posted by hminus888 on Jan 13, 2017 | 4:28 PM

Posted by Redbird Thunder on Jan 13, 2017 | 6:25 PM
Meh
No sense fretting about things you can’t control.

Many ‘round these parts called for Greg Williams’ head. Well, you got what you wished for, he’s gone.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

Posted by Gungus on Jan 13, 2017 | 8:47 PM
I was going to make a joke about having the Rams in our division is like having a willing slut in your junior-year of h.s. who is always ready dependable...
And then i remembered what a nightmare its been playing them recently and their d-line. Somebody always gets injured…

Posted by kredabull on Jan 13, 2017 | 9:30 PM
So it was good except for the inevitable std?

Posted by hadrarius on Jan 14, 2017 | 9:34 AM
Nice article Mr. Cox
Its good to see an article on a rival’s site that is positive about the Lambs. You are right about fish. He almost got us to mediocracy but failed to get us over that hump. He did well against the Cards and Seagulls but couldn’t beat a pop warner team outside the division. Its smart to build your team to be able to defeat divisional opponents but you can’t forget about the other 28 (or so) teams. Time to move on.

49ers
Rams hire Sean McVay as next head coach
The 49ers and Chargers are the last two teams left who need to hire a head coach.
by David Fucillo@davidfucillo Jan 12, 2017, 1:25pm PST TWEET
One more domino has fallen. The Los Angeles Rams announced on Thursday that Sean McVay has been hired as their next head coach. McVay is officially the youngest head coach in NFL history. He is 30, and turns 31 later this month.

McVay interviewed with the San Francisco 49ers on Monday, and there was some fan excitement for the youngster nicknamed Baby Gruden. He is young, but is well-respected among players and coaches. It will be viewed as a risky hire given his age, but with the Rams looking for a fresh start as they prepare to move into a new stadium in Los Angeles in a couple years, it makes sense for this kind of huge change. Why hire a retread?

This leaves the 49ers and Chargers as the only teams who have not hired a head coach. The 49ers still have an interview with Tom Cable on Sunday, and at some point would conceivably bring in some of their recent candidates for a second round of interviews. The 49ers had no interviews today, and have an interview with GM candidate Terry McDonough on Friday. Hopefully we hear something about a planned second round of interviews soon. Even if it requires waiting for Kyle Shanahan and/or Josh McDaniels, so be it.

is goff still the QB?

Posted by save10 on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:26 PM
I was afraid that Goff will make the Rams attractive to the kid. Go get em Super Bowls McVay! Show Paraag why we named the War Room after your grandpa. Because you guys are WINNERS!

And now to hire losing retreads. Pair them with a losing EVP and CEO..

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:53 PM
I know you like the Better Rivals podcast
You should go listen to the one from last night, might change your mind on "losing retreads". Also it’s not like Washington made the playoffs this year or got past the wild card round last year, I like McVay but it’s not like they have been super winners.

Posted by Steve Montana on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:35 PM
I dropped my iPhone 6 Plus in the shower listening to the Podcast Today. My speakers are fine. Just put it next to the heater while I was getting dressed for work.

Above 500? I wonder what John McVay’s winning percentage was back in the days? He will rock it with the Rams. He has our coaching tree plus our GM’s genes running through him. He’s born a WINNER!

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:42 PM
Yes
that’s how it works…that NFL win gene.

Posted by CalBear949 on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:43 PM
It’s called life. Because you guys never got to meet those people with aura’s. That they just have it. You can tell in their presence that they’re somebody. Met many billionaires in sales and they have an aire about them. Shrugs..

It’s like royalty…

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:51 PM
Okay

Posted by CalBear949 on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:52 PM
Didn't you meet Tomsula? I think you're getting aura confused with flatulent.

Posted by riqv on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:01 PM
Tomsula didn’t have that aura. But he was a very humble guy.

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:42 PM
#RipMcVay
Good luck with Goff

Posted by Assyrianniners on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:26 PM
Would Gruden lose with Goff? Then baby Gruden won’t either. And he has my Gurley!

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:56 PM
Your Girly wasn't a big help

Posted by WGXRT51 on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:02 PM
Because defenses were focusing on him because he has a bad passing offense. Football is not hard to analyze. Paraag just makes it complicated when it’s not. It’s pretty easy actually.

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:22 PM
It's TomTom Time!

Posted by Germinator on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:26 PM
Why do you call him tomtom?

Posted by Ron~Mexico on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:29 PM
Tom Gamble and Tom Cable
They are like Batman and Robin. Except everyone they try and help dies, then they steal the jewelry off their dead bodies and sell their organs on the black market.

Posted by Germinator on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:30 PM
It sounds better than GambleCable

Posted by kingmonkeydoo on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:30 PM
Gayble
or not? A little sophomoric i guess

Posted by Ron~Mexico on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:36 PM
Camble!

Posted by CalBear949 on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:42 PM
Things can't get any better!

Posted by ak4niner on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:30 PM
Well that's an interesting twist
You just might be onto something here

Posted by Germinator on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:32 PM
Who's got it better than us?
Most.

Posted by NYners on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:50 PM
Who here is really sad right now because they got enormed with McVay and now he's going to a division rival?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by Mertons_merkin on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:26 PM
Seems like a good % of folks

Posted by AptosNinerFan on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:28 PM
I'm ok with it
I think he’s just too young. The problem we have is he has Kroenke as an owner. Even if they finish 2-14 for eight straight years, he’s not going to get fired. So he has a good chance to get better over time which sucks.

Posted by Germinator on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:29 PM
Gruden was young. And he’s a winner too. McDaniels is a loser and will lose with him over and over.

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:02 PM
Joe, can you stop?
You keep repeating your opinion on every comment. We get it, you liked mcvay.
I did too.
i also like Mcdaniels, and Shanahan.
Riddick im skeptical of because he is an analyst. Wolfe seems the obvious choice.
Feel free to contribute, but there is no need to comment the same opinion on every comment in the thread, you sound like the entire cowboys fanbase.

Posted by Szady on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:00 PM
And Mar

Posted by mikeymike4949 on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:01 PM
Too bad we can't give Joe an example of a loser that turned in to a winner.
If only there was a coach, who had a losing record with a team. Let’s say the Browns. Who then went on to win 4 superbowls with another. I’ll go with a random team off the top of my head…the Patriots. Too bad that has never happened or anything….

Posted by Domi2Duclair on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:09 PM
only if that guy wears hooded sweatshirts.

Posted by CalBear949 on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:12 PM
So McDaniels is Hoodie now. I see,
1f60f.png

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:47 PM
That's definitely what I said
I clearly didn’t say someone can go to losing as a coach with one team to winning as a coach with another. I guess I should have said that, so I wouldn’t have looked some dumb…. am I doing this sarcasm thing right?

Posted by Domi2Duclair on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:51 PM
Whatever, enjoy losing with McDaniels.
1f60f.png

Brady is the guy that makes that place tick and Hoodie.

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:44 PM
You can't spend as much time
with the Pats as McDaniels has without learning something. Plus, he’s the OC/QB coach. He had some input in developing your guy Jimmy G.

Posted by WGXRT51 on Jan 12, 2017 | 4:02 PM
Too young who is humble and knows he’s weakness. Something you can’t say about McD. Also, who made who better.

Did McVay make Cousins better? Or vise versa?

Does McD make Tom Brady better? Or vice versa?

Posted by ItsErikMan on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:10 PM
Awesome that he went to a division rival
Most 1st time HC fail

This means he gets his seasoning for his next hire at the expense of a rival

Win win!

Posted by McCoven on Jan 12, 2017 | 1:30 PM
John McVay
never lost. And he has 5 Super Bowls only.

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:03 PM
John McVay wasn't very good as HC of the Giants

Posted by baykid415 on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:21 PM
That tells you something, that’s why I grew up not liking Parcels and his Giants team. Uh, now I’m getting heated thinking about those hits they gave Montana.
1f60f.png

Posted by In Joe we trust on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:45 PM
from 1976-1978 he was 14-23
which means he won an avg of just over 4 games per seasons in his 3 year run…

Posted by baykid415 on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:48 PM
Shhhh
That doesn’t fit his narrative, so it is allowed to be excluded.

Posted by Domi2Duclair on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:11 PM
So... grandpa was a good office guy so the kid will be a good HC?

Posted by Finger42 on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:23 PM
What you don't think that's flawless logic?

Posted by Steve Montana on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:36 PM
hahha thanks
Caught myself taking him too seriously
1f604.png

Posted by Finger42 on Jan 12, 2017 | 2:37 PM

The SeaBabys

Rams name Sean McVay (born same year as Jamaal Charles) as next head coach

by Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Jan 12, 2017, 3:03pm PST TWEET
BradMills-USA TODAY Sports
Over the last two years, Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay has played an instrumental role in getting Kirk Cousins paid. Since being promoted from tight ends coach to OC when Jay Gruden took over in 2014, McVay has steadily improved the passing game from 16th in yards to 11th, 11th, and then second this past season. (Not that yards is the best way to illustrate a point, but it was the best way for me to illustrate this point.)

With that, Cousins has gone from a middling backup to a player who over the last two seasons has completed 68.3% of his passes for 7.9 yards per attempt, 54 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, and a passer rating of 99.3. Cousins was paid over $18 million on the franchise tag last season and could get more than $23 million next year, if not a long-term deal with perhaps triple that amount guaranteed. But he might have to continue his hot streak without McVay.

The LA Rams are known to be heavily interested in him to be the next head coach, having already interviewed him twice. (Update: The Rams indeed have named him as their next head coach.)

Los Angeles will get the Chargers and the NFL’s youngest head coach in history within 24 hours of each other.

Oh yeah, McVay was born in 1986.

If McVay was a player, he would have probably been drafted between 2007 and 2009, something like that. He may have been drafted the same year that the Rams took Chris Long second overall, or when they picked Sam Bradford first overall. That’s how old he is, a man preparing for his 31st birthday in 12 days.

While many have anticipated that the Rams would be targeting a coach similar to Jeff Fisher in experience, they are instead going with a guy who could be Fisher’s son. In fact, McVay might even be younger than his son, Brandon Fisher. Said Jon Gruden of McVay, who he hired to be an offensive assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2008 when he was only 22: “He’s special.”

The move isn’t necessarily a good one or a bad one for the Rams, just an interesting one. Gruden was very successful for the Oakland Raiders and Buccaneers. It is certainly more exciting than Fisher and if he lands the defensive coordinator he’s said to be courting, Wade Phillips, LA may give the Seattle Seahawks even more trouble than they already do.

dear god
I just go used to being older than 99% of NFL players, now coaches???

Posted by Eric the Husky Hawk on Jan 12, 2017 | 12:06 PM
He has big shoes to fill
You don’t get to be one of the great losers overnight. This guy better start losing fast!

Posted by Eric the Husky Hawk on Jan 12, 2017 | 12:08 PM
Rookie mistake.
You don’t rack up those big losing numbers by just losing every game they put in front of you. You’ll end up blowing your load and ending your career with a record of 2-14 or something. You gotta pace yourself, win just enough to stay afloat, and most of all, convince your boss that it’s everyone else’s fault. It takes hard work and patience to be one of history’s greatest losers.

Posted by An Enemy Spy on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:27 PM
I think I figured it out:
Kroenke sounds like Wonky, which is a lot like Wonka, who wanted a child to run his chocolate factory instead of a grown up who would want to do things his own way.
Hopefully, Sean "Charlie Bucket" McVay can care for the Oompa Loompas.

Wish him the best of luck.

Posted by 1970GTOdroptop on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:17 PM
unfortunately
I think [and who cares about me and my opinions? really! but: it’s mine! and I gets to have a opionionionion in the u.s.a. of opinionionionions!] … uh… right! I think he’s probably the most intriguinging of the world of next-coaches [as opposed to previous-coaches that Kroenke probably have had enoughs of, right?]. Kroekkroenke is kind of stupid, but unfortunately a stopped opinion is right twice a day. Right? Right. Right? Right.

Posted by scraps on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:46 PM
I do like "intriguinging" as a new word, that's right up my alley
The ultimate bad scenario (for Hawks fans) is that Kroenke hits on a coach, or a quarterback, or both. Of course out of blind luck! Other inferior owners have gotten lucky before.

Fortunately, Goff looks overmatched, more so than your average rookie, so there’s not a ton McKay can do immediately.

Posted by John Fraley on Jan 12, 2017 | 11:10 PM
I cannot hear that last name and not think. . .the obvious.
That is extremely weird that there are players substantially older than him. He’s even younger than Raheem Morris was when he took over Tampa.

Posted by Felix Hernandez' Filthy Penguin Whore on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:56 PM
They have McVay, we have McEvoy...
I’m going with McEvoy.

Posted by Snow Hawk on Jan 12, 2017 | 4:05 PM
(Not that yards is the best way to illustrate a point, but it was the best way for me to illustrate this point.)
1f60a.png
This is a classic. Nice work.

Posted by seahawksfan99 on Jan 12, 2017 | 4:22 PM
This Hire Reeks Of Last Year's #1 Pick
They need Goff to improve in his second season and seeing what McVay did with Cousins, they want him rescue Goff. I don’t think we have to worry about The Rams for the next year or two (unless we are playing them).

Posted by RayRickburn on Jan 12, 2017 | 5:02 PM
The Rams also just got Wade Phillips as DC because of this hire
Hire is looking better for them. I saw reports of this days ago but wasn’t sure if McVay could pull it off, might be a good hire after all.

Follow
Ian Rapoport

✔@RapSheet

And there it is: @sonofbum is the new #Rams defensive coordinator. He's agreed to terms.

9:49 PM - 12 Jan 2017

Posted by Steve Montana on Jan 12, 2017 | 8:01 PM
Darn.
How Elway allowed Wade to get away is puzzling.

Posted by Groundhog on Jan 12, 2017 | 9:03 PM
They got a defensive head coach
That might of automatically pushed him out…They are losing a lot of their coaching staff which is weird. I don’t know why the Broncos would want to blow everything up when they mainly just had issues with their offense.

Posted by Steve Montana on Jan 13, 2017 | 12:26 AM
Is it already too late to point out that we won't be able to judge this coaching hire for at least 7 - 9 months?
Is it? Because I really like doing that.

Posted by VegasHawkFan on Jan 13, 2017 | 2:22 AM
I dont know if headcoaches have their own intro songs
But they should, and Mcvoy’s should be 1986 by Big K.R.I.T

Posted by CreativeUsername on Jan 13, 2017 | 7:41 AM
Is he related to Timothy?
Kidding. Obviously the spelling of the last name isn’t the same. He was born a year before me, and I’m only 31! I’m more worried about Wade Philips in the division. He has pieces to work with.

Posted by clacrone on Jan 13, 2017 | 9:21 AM

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Good reads :) Thanks for posting.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wow... internet comments where folks don't know their buttholes from a hole in the ground.

Shocking...

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Posted by scraps on Jan 12, 2017 | 3:46 PM
I do like "intriguinging" as a new word, that's right up my alley
The ultimate bad scenario (for Hawks fans) is that Kroenke hits on a coach, or a quarterback, or both. Of course out of blind luck! Other inferior owners have gotten lucky before.

You mean like Carroll and Wilson?