What makes an elite Quarterback?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tony Softli and Kevin Slater talked about it in this audio today, and both *tried* to categorize players and both *tried* to define what an elite QB really is, or how they qualify the word elite.

[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/01/01282013130348.mp3[/rp3]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=12440&type=s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 440&type=s</a>

Curious. How would you define an elite QB? I think that's a difficult thing to do, because you have to remove the QB from the rest of the team and judge him on his own merits. But how do you do that if he's been on a team that can plug ANY QB into the system and see him thrive, or how do you do that if he's been on a team that makes it very difficult to thrive. Or can you do it anyway despite those variables? Is a running QB elite by default? Do you need to meet certain statistical benchmarks? Do you need to win a SB? Is it 4th QTR comebacks? The hard part is, you can say a certain thing means elite, and then there will be many other QBs throughout time who were constant winners, and who never fulfilled your requirement. For example, Marnio never won a Superbowl. Brad Johnson did. Stafford threw for 5000 yards (almost twice). Flacco never threw for 4000. John Elway's CAREER qb rating is 79. Matt Ryan's is 90.

Tough question.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
An elite QB? One who finds a way to win even when he isn't supposed to.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
Gimme an example, and expand on that a little. If you don't mind. Please. Because, you know, A.J. Feeley beat the Saints in 2011. I'm just trying to figure out how a QB does that without any support from the defense, special teams, line, RB, receivers, etc.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Elite QBs are those guys who make the other offensive units look better than they would be with another QB. That's a generalization. I think it's easier to say which qualities are elite for a certain QB. Like good pocket awareness, quick decisions, and mobility can make your OL look better than they would be with another QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iBruce said:
Elite QBs are those guys who make the other offensive units look better than they would be with another QB. That's a generalization. I think it's easier to say which qualities are elite for a certain QB. Like good pocket awareness, quick decisions, and mobility can make your OL look better than they would be with another QB.
I agree with a lot of that. Marino was good at that. His quick decisions, rifle-arm, and fast release mitigated the damage he would have received behind poor offensive lines. I think he was a better QB than Bob Griese, who actually did win a Superbowl. Two, in fact.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
Ramhusker said:
Gimme an example, and expand on that a little. If you don't mind. Please. Because, you know, A.J. Feeley beat the Saints in 2011. I'm just trying to figure out how a QB does that without any support from the defense, special teams, line, RB, receivers, etc.

Elite QBs don't win without any support but they do with average support. They win in spite of his #1 RB going down to injury or his Blind side compromised or his best WRs dropping a few passes. An Elite QB finds a way to lift up those around him to another level. For example, Peyton Manning going to Denver this season and making his WRs look like pro bowlers. Granted, his WRs have talent enough but not until this year was it realized because of Manning.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
With all due respect...

Statistical descriptions, technocrats, enthusiasts and fundamentalists aside, .....like a fine watch, a beautiful sunset or a drop dead gorgeous babe......you just know an elite QB when you see one.

End of story. :lol:

Before you know it, we'll be trying to define what an orgasim feels like. :what:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wait, nope, can't describe an orgasm. But you are right, you know an elite QB when you see him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
With all due respect...

Statistical descriptions, technocrats, enthusiasts and fundamentalists aside, .....like a fine watch, a beautiful sunset or a drop dead gorgeous babe......you just know an elite QB when you see one.

End of story. :lol:

Before you know it, we'll be trying to define what an orgasim feels like. :what:
Oddly enough, I agree with that exactly.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
(1) A guy who wins consistently.

(2) A guy who makes minimal mistakes on game day. (THEY ALL MAKE THEM - YO!)

(3) A leader.

I wrote this without hearing the audio. Will check that out tomorrow.