What Is Your Line Of Work?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I either drug people up or read their minds. It really depends on who you ask. All that i can say, is that you should wear layers and layers of tin foil on your head if you see me

tin-foil-hat.jpg
LOL, does it help?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Director of IT

But no, I'm not the moron boss that may come to mind, at least I'd like to think not :)

It's a small company and I have to do a bit of everything, coding, dba, admin, network admin. I'll always be a coder at heart though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting segment...Great stories...Some fabulous people in this forum...

What's my line, unemployed....Long story...I was a childcare worker while I went to college, years ago. Family business. Learned a lot about disadvantaged youth. Worked my way up to facility manager(thanks mom), then helped get it shut down by hiring a silly friend of mine. Thought he could handle it because he had 3 sons of his own. Oh, I helped out too, by being banned from one of the homes for being, as they'd say, a little to aggressive with one of the kids. They liked to write on things, gang writing, and my behavior mod techniques where a lil too physical. So, while banned, the boys decided to invite over some girls, boys being boys an all, and the girls, from another group home, told a story of some sort of sex party. Cute lil kids....Well, I bounced around the job market...doing all sorts of stuff...Worked in a Title house delivering films for editing, worked in construction doing hardwood floors. Nothing really stuck, so I went back to school, turned into the guy I always ridiculed, old guy still in college...I took up nursing, passed the test and was a RN...Figured I had made it...But I still hung around some, lets say unsavory characters....A buddy ( well associate) raised pit bulls, I went over while his house was being raided, and in the mist of them looking for street pharmaceuticals, they decide to turn this into some conspiracy...During the Michael Vick thing....Welp, long story short, I get convicted, spend a vacation up north (top ramen really is popular), and a lil down south in towns like Calipatria & Brawley...Never even new these places existed....So I am now hoping for reinstatement....I am taking some MORE courses in college, computer stuff, and really look at life a lil different...Kinda opened my eyes a lil bit...Big in faith, no really and I try to see the best in everything and everybody...Is this the whole story, kinda, with a bunch of BS in between. But that's why I'm in here...Trying to become a computer geek, the one I shoulda been all along.....

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Seriously cool thread. I never would have guessed at some of these. As to me, obviously, it's programming (or if you want to sound impressive: "software development"). Love what I do. I get a real thrill out of the creative process. Users are generally very thankful that you've helped them solve a problem and it's just a very gratifying experience to see ideas come to life. It's a field that is constantly changing and I work in a very fast-paced environment which I also like. Started out crunchinig cobol/cics/jcl at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City which in 1989 was a big mainframe shop with about 300 developers. I'm kind of a jack of all trades but became an expert at a language known as FOCUS and "middleware" software from Information Builders. Since the mainframe days, we were doing client-server there for a while but pretty much everything is web based these days. I was an independent contractor for about 15 years, traveling all over this great nation, but have finally settled down at a permanent job working for MasterCard in Saint Louis about 4 years ago.

RK3

Professional Lurker
Name
Russ
finally settled down at a permanent job working for MasterCard in Saint Louis about 4 years ago.

I was at MC from 2006 through the end of 2011. I worked as a business analyst in Authorization/MPS to start then became application agnostic when I moved to Service Definition. From there I went to Enterprise Fleet IT until a few months ago when I transferred to the corporate office to work in HRIS. IT is a small world. More than likely, we know some of the same people.

I am originally from LA where I started my career working for ADP doing a variety of things from account mgmt to training to tech support. Leveraged that experience into my first job in IT when I moved to Nor Cal to work as a business analyst for PeopleSoft on their HR and Payroll product lines. When PeopleSoft was taken over by Oracle in 2005, we bolted CA for STL without a job. Got picked up by MC not long after that and the rest is described above.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
.. IT is a small world. More than likely, we know some of the same people...
It is indeed very small. Probably we do know people in common. We cerainly know some of the same acronyms, lol.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Retired. I write and play music.

Owned a delivery service through college. Was a systems tester and procedure writer, then assistant accounting manager at Citicorp. Next a Controller, then an MIS (IT) Director and spent my last twenty working years as a CFO and business owner.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
What a wonderful world we live in when all these people from different parts of the world can come together and share their diverse backgrounds and enjoyments!

Me, former US Army (jeez, that was hard to figure out). Served in a time that was not, how would you say, patriotic and supportive as todays environment? Did a little law enforcement. Thought that was my calling but I'm glad I got out as my personality would not have been conducive to my success. I have mellowed much from then. Been able to come to grips with the past. I have now been employed for over 35 years with the same telecommunications company even though we have changed names numerous times over the years. I started out as a Station Installer better known as the phone man. Worked my way into the repair and maintenance side, working in copper cables. Moved up to management with various crews. Gained some valuable experience not only with the networks but with dealing with people and personnel issues. I currently have a crew of 15 that perform fiber optic cable installation, splicing and repair. I think this is the best job I have had since being here. Love my guys, love my boss and just plane love the work...sort of. Retirement is looming in the future, when I don't really know because like I said, I do love my job.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Line of work? .....Spent well over 3 decades in many close custody state facilities/institutions/prisons ......in the service of Florida Criminal Justice System...went in when Jimmy Carter was the president...Now I am living free on the run in the Florida State Retirement System. Retired Warden :D.