What is up with the 2nd half collapses? (Puzzling)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I don't get our inability to hold a lead or play with any kind of intensity in the 2nd half of several of our games. Especially against Division foes?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Offense is pretty much useless after first 15 or so scripted plays. Defense wears out. JJ gets burnt, voila!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
In the 90's I watched every break seem to go against us. It was an uncanny streak of futility. It's happened again. Every break went against us today. Maybe next year will be ours

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Shaun Hill and Austin Davis.

Plus the D is on the field the whole game because of the two mentioned.

That is all.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Halftime adjustments aren't in Jeff Fisher's or Brian Schottenheimer's vocabulary.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Too many problems with the offense. This offense had to be conservative with the QBs we had this year. Fisher and Shotty never trusted either one to let it rip. A porous O-Line didn't help matters either. So in the end, Fisher had to rely too much on the defense holding leads and they couldn't. Plus, the defense didn't really start clicking until week 7, with a couple mishaps after that. We have too many holes still needing to be filled, and if we don't get both the O-Line and QB situation fixed, we will always be a below average team.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Well, when you have over a minute left in the first half with the ball and you decide to run time off and punt it away to hold your 6 point lead...

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
The easy strategy for the Rams would be to immediately punt on 1st down before we get three penalties and then turn the ball over.

This would stop the opposing team from getting great field position and defensive scores. The Rams could then cut all of the offensive players and sign more defensive studs. Fisher would become the greatest head coach in NFL history and Schotty would become god.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Well neither of our two back up QBs can throw it deep which didn't help. When we get into a hole Hill or Davis aren't really the guys who can get you out of it. That's not they're fault I suppose - they're backups for a reason. Their job was to manage the game and keep it close enough to win. The consistent 3 and outs tire our our D and we end up getting really behind and having to chuck it deep....which we cant.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Offense is pretty much useless after first 15 or so scripted plays. Defense wears out. JJ gets burnt, voila!

I have to disagree about today. The offense moved the ball on a couple of drives, late 3rd Qtr and in the 4th. Hill killed 1st drive by throwing the INT, Kendricks had the ball stripped away for a Defensive TD, and then on the drive that Cunningham had the ball knocked out near the end zone for a touchboack, Cook dropped a sure TD. So, you can't tell me that the offensive game plan was useless.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The easy strategy for the Rams would be to immediately punt on 1st down before we get three penalties and then turn the ball over.

This would stop the opposing team from getting great field position and defensive scores. The Rams could then cut all of the offensive players and sign more defensive studs. Fisher would become the greatest head coach in NFL history and Schotty would become god.

No. No. That wouldn't work.
We should take a knee on each down and punt on fourth. That way the defense gets more rest than they normally would.

V3

Hall of Fame
Schotty doesn't adjust, the defense gets worn down, Hill isn't any kind of answer, and some games, the nonstop blitzing doesn't work and Williams refuses to try different things.

That's how I look at how this team's second half troubles.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I have to disagree about today. The offense moved the ball on a couple of drives, late 3rd Qtr and in the 4th. Hill killed 1st drive by throwing the INT, Kendricks had the ball stripped away for a Defensive TD, and then on the drive that Cunningham had the ball knocked out near the end zone for a touchboack, Cook dropped a sure TD. So, you can't tell me that the offensive game plan was useless.
Yeah seems to me but for the turnovers the offense adjusted fine and can't imagine what defensive adjustments you make when you shut the other team out in the first half

Alan

Legend
ChrisW with this take on the game:
Halftime adjustments aren't in Jeff Fisher's or Brian Schottenheimer's vocabulary.
So you thought the offense wasn't just as good in the second half, minus the INTs, that it was in the first half? I won't see the game on anything other than my computer screen until my son comes over with a copy I can watch on my big TV later in the week but I didn't see that. You know that you're talking about one of my biggest complaints with him but I don't think he was the problem this week. I haven't noticed any other teams make any successful half time adjustments against them for a hole bunch of games in a row now. Our offense didn't look any worse in the second half to me. INTs were the problem. And fumbles. :rolleyes: Against the #1 Defense in the NFL.

V3

Hall of Fame
So you thought the offense was just as good in the second half, minus the INTs, that it was in the first half? I won't see the game on anything other than my computer screen until my son comes over with a copy I can watch on my big TV later in the week but I didn't see that. You know that you're talking about one of my biggest complaints with him but I don't think he was the problem this week. I haven't noticed any other teams make any successful half time adjustments against them for a hole bunch of games in a row now. Our offense didn't look any worse in the second half to me. INTs were the problem. And fumbles. :rolleyes: Against the #1 Defense in the NFL.
Not going to speak for Chris but I viewed the topic as looking at the 2nd half in terms of the entire season. I don't know the numbers but I'd be willing to bet there's a big drop off between first half points and second half points when looking at the season as a whole.

When looking at just this game, I thought the Rams actually made some adjustments and it showed in how they moved the ball. I was kind of shocked by it.

Alan

Legend
V3 with a possible:
Not going to speak for Chris but I viewed the topic as looking at the 2nd half in terms of the entire season.
If he's talking about the season as a hole then I'd have to agree with him. :(

Cory

UDFA
It is not very puzzling to me. We have no qb, and rely so much on our defense. We pretty much need a defensive TD or a special teams TD to win a game.