What Is the First Free Agent the Rams Should Target?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think us bringing back Britt and Barksdale are no-brainers. After that I like Wisneiewski, But aside from that, I'm still looking!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Riverumbbq I am with you on Barksdale but the Rams will sign him up to a high cost contract anyway they have few options. The California/San Fran Bay area Duo of high profile UFA OL'ers & cap killers will not be affordable nor would they come to a small NFL town like St Louis. Not sure if the Rams secondary with already around 8 safeties candidates available will have room for more $$$ candidates.

When healthy the former #1 Green Bay Packer is one excellent OT. He can play both OT posts very well. There is a large ButtMonkey here....health & injuries have been working on him .....a lot! You may want to take a minute & look deep into his surgeries & injuries list since coming into the NFL. He may be getting close to Rodger Saffold scale level.

I tend to believe the Rams are apt to let Barksdale seek his value thru free agency ala Saffold & Oakland. I'd be surprised and saddened if the Rams match a high outside bid. One reason I see Fisher and the Rams going deeper into their pockets for fewer but more expensive free agent talent is that Fisher absolutely NEEDS a winning season to maintain some control of his future job status, and bringing in top quality at positions of real need should help him get over the immediate hump. It won't exactly be 'CAP be damned' with the cuts of JLong, Wells, Langford and an extension for Bradford taking hold, but it will not be cheap. Whether free agents choose to come to St.Louis is another matter, one which is completely out of my control, but I can hope that Fisher's reputation as a 'players' coach helps in that regard. Doubtful, but maybe there is also more info on the possible Rams to LA front by the start of free agency.
As for Bulaga, like Saffold, he had a pretty healthy 2015 in that he only missed one start this season. Although Saffold required recent surgery, it didn't cost him much time off the field. Bulaga's history may also allow for some salary concessions. jmo.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Mike Iupati is exellent player, but knees are an issue . .. could be too similar to Jake Long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I tend to believe the Rams are apt to let Barksdale seek his value thru free agency ala Saffold & Oakland. I'd be surprised and saddened if the Rams match a high outside bid. One reason I see Fisher and the Rams going deeper into their pockets for fewer but more expensive free agent talent is that Fisher absolutely NEEDS a winning season to maintain some control of his future job status, and bringing in top quality at positions of real need should help him get over the immediate hump. It won't exactly be 'CAP be damned' with the cuts of JLong, Wells, Langford and an extension for Bradford taking hold, but it will not be cheap. Whether free agents choose to come to St.Louis is another matter, one which is completely out of my control, but I can hope that Fisher's reputation as a 'players' coach helps in that regard. Doubtful, but maybe there is also more info on the possible Rams to LA front by the start of free agency.
As for Bulaga, like Saffold, he had a pretty healthy 2015 in that he only missed one start this season. Although Saffold required recent surgery, it didn't cost him much time off the field. Bulaga's history may also allow for some salary concessions. jmo.

Could be River, Barksdale is certainly no Rodger Saffold on the field or match Saffold's ability to play four OL posts where JB does just one and it not even done well. But the Packers OLT & sometimes ORT will demand UFA $$$ offensive LEFT OT contract. I do not see the Rams going that direction. Rams sure need a vet Swing OT but they will have to go short term contract not long term Buluga will not sign a short term.

As far as Wells & Long looks to me those two contacts (close to 15 million) will have to go before the Rams get heavy into UFA'cy. They have already restructured Wells contract once before, so I do not see another redo there. Wells is unworthy of consideration after his last three Ram seasons. His time has come.

Jake's......has some very big hanging hairs & burrs with his back to back ACL serious injuries & surgeries & two back to back rehabbing events after four straight off season surgeries & rehabbing events . Jake may have sure have big physical issues but the mental thing may be just too high way to big at this point to do a new redo contract at the time when the Rams are blowing through what little available UFA cap cash.

As I said before Kendall Langford will not released Rams have no legit back up to Brockers nor Donald to release a DL'er who can do both very good & save a roster spot too??? I think its a good bet he can get a new contract for a few more yrs here that would lower his cap hit in 2015.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think people need to temper their expectations for free agency. Why would any player that's highly sought after want to come to a team that doesn't even have a home location nailed down? The Rams don't even have a QB.

I don't expect anything splashy this offseason unless the Rams want to overspend on someone to the point that it blows the player/agent away. JMHO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Could be River, Barksdale is certainly no Rodger Saffold on the field or match Saffold's ability to play four OL posts where JB does just one and it not even done well. But the Packers OLT & sometimes ORT will demand UFA $$$ offensive LEFT OT contract. I do not see the Rams going that direction. Rams sure need a vet Swing OT but they will have to go short term contract not long term Buluga will not sign a short term.

As far as Wells & Long looks to me those two contacts (close to 15 million) will have to go before the Rams get heavy into UFA'cy. They have already restructured Wells contract once before, so I do not see another redo there. Wells is unworthy of consideration after his last three Ram seasons. His time has come.

Jake's......has some very big hanging hairs & burrs with his back to back ACL serious injuries & surgeries & two back to back rehabbing events after four straight off season surgeries & rehabbing events . Jake may have sure have big physical issues but the mental thing may be just too high way to big at this point to do a new redo contract at the time when the Rams are blowing through what little available UFA cap cash.

As I said before Kendall Langford will not released Rams have no legit back up to Brockers nor Donald to release a DL'er who can do both very good & save a roster spot too??? I think its a good bet he can get a new contract for a few more yrs here that would lower his cap hit in 2015.

All good points. I'd prefer going the draft route at RT, but when we have 3 starting O-Linemen (RT, C, LG) that could easily be dismissed (by me), no way that Fisher is going to start 3 new rookies and a 1 year Robinson on the O-Line, so my only alternative is to look towards free agency to fill at least 2 of those holes. You can check my mock post if you really want to examine my thinking on the off-season, but I would really be upset if the Rams tied up CAP for several years on a bad Barksdale contract. I'd love the guy as a back-up, but that's the full extent of it, and of course, is out of the question.
As for Langford, he could easily be thought of as a great candidate for extension by us fans, although i'm guessing he'll be seeking his last big payday with his next contract, so why risk losing money when he may very well be capable of starting in either a 3-4 or 4-3 Defense elsewhere ? I just don't see the Rams covering that CAP hit of his in 2015, but that's just me.
jmo.

4mation0

UDFA
We have had better luck with the Hayes and Britt types than the Finnagen and Long types. Free agency isn't a good way to build a team. You usually overpay for average or damaged talent.

As a rule of thumb, I agree 100%. But every rule has some exceptions and I think this might be one. The OL needs lots of work and expecting multiple draft picks to step right in and turn the ship around would most likely lead to disappointment. Fisher's alway been hesitant to start rookies on the line anyway, and I can't see him plugging in say a rookie C and G to go along with a second-year LT. So I expect at least one free-agent signing. I'm hoping it's a short-term transitional deal, but I like that strategy better than counting entirely on unproven draft picks. Pick 'em, for sure, but give them time to get acclimated.

FRO

Legend
As a rule of thumb, I agree 100%. But every rule has some exceptions and I think this might be one. The OL needs lots of work and expecting multiple draft picks to step right in and turn the ship around would most likely lead to disappointment. Fisher's alway been hesitant to start rookies on the line anyway, and I can't see him plugging in say a rookie C and G to go along with a second-year LT. So I expect at least one free-agent signing. I'm hoping it's a short-term transitional deal, but I like that strategy better than counting entirely on unproven draft picks. Pick 'em, for sure, but give them time to get acclimated.
Who are we going to get that we won't have to massively over pay. I'm good with picking up some guys to compete with the rookies, but throwing big money at the line hasn't worked for us outside of Timmerman.

4mation0

UDFA
Who are we going to get that we won't have to massively over pay. I'm good with picking up some guys to compete with the rookies, but throwing big money at the line hasn't worked for us outside of Timmerman.

It's a tough spot to be in, no doubt. And I'm the last one you'd want making that pick! There aren't likely to be any perfect solutions, but maybe a guy like Nick Hardwick, an older player who sat out due to an injury and who's back-up showed some promise, might become available. Yeah, I know, another injury-prone lineman. But again, no perfect solutions, and the injury history might keep his price down. I honestly don't know if that would be a good move or not or how much he has left in the tank--it's just one example. Like you said, sometimes a situation like Britt's--a guy other teams shy away from for one reason or another--can pan out if you do your homework. Yes, it's something of a crap shoot, but then so is trusting a recovering Sam Bradford (if that proves to be the case) to hold up behind a rookie-laden line. Hey, if they go that way I hope it works. I agree, if the right FA deal can't be done, then pass. But I wouldn't rule it out from the start.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Injury history or not, no way GB lets Bulaga go.

Maybe, GB is in pretty good CAP shape, but they also have several very good players entering free agency. Not sure they can sign them all. John Kuhn, Randall Cobb, Bryan Bulaga, DT's Letroy Guion & BJ Raji, 3 CB's, a SS & an ILB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's a tough spot to be in, no doubt. And I'm the last one you'd want making that pick! There aren't likely to be any perfect solutions, but maybe a guy like Nick Hardwick, an older player who sat out due to an injury and who's back-up showed some promise, might become available. Yeah, I know, another injury-prone lineman. But again, no perfect solutions, and the injury history might keep his price down. I honestly don't know if that would be a good move or not or how much he has left in the tank--it's just one example. Like you said, sometimes a situation like Britt's--a guy other teams shy away from for one reason or another--can pan out if you do your homework. Yes, it's something of a crap shoot, but then so is trusting a recovering Sam Bradford (if that proves to be the case) to hold up behind a rookie-laden line. Hey, if they go that way I hope it works. I agree, if the right FA deal can't be done, then pass. But I wouldn't rule it out from the start.

I see a few that might be available but sure not those big UFA's. Jrry32 brought Clint Boling up about a month ago & he looks to be a possibility you might add Denver's OLG Orlando Franklin. I think Swing OT 32 yr old Michael Roos who was a Fisher top draft selection could be brought back late summer due that he is still in major rehabbing event. Thats why I think its a done deal that ORT Barksdale is paid with a real nice pay increase.

I hope we could get two of those but we would be lucky to land one. That means the draft will be the only way to upgrade the OL. This is not good. However Boudreau has some stop gap Ol'ers who may fill the void at first until the rookies get up to speed.

Looks to me RFA Tim Barnes can be counted on to take up Scott Wells starting post @ center at first. The 27 yr old who is entering his 4th season may even be a large improvement over Wells. Barnes has 45 NFL games under his belt and finished 5 games as the starting OC in 2013. Barnes has been a Rams since 2011. Rams also have drafted two OC's Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney under contract.

UFA Mike Person who is 27 & has 5 yrs of NFL experience can be signed at a low cap cost. person was the #6 Ram OL after Long's injury. Person got most of the reps in TC & pre season at both Left side OT & OG. Person could hold down the OLG post until the drafted rookies are ready to take it from him. This would permit Saffold to return to the right OT post with the UFA Barksdale. Jones could also serve as a back up to Person.

Rams could very easily let ORT Joe Barksdale test FA'cy but very few teams need him as bad as the Rams. JB is probable to sign a contract here. Rams also offered OT Steven Baker & ORG Travis Bond contracts in 2015.

OLT- Robinson 23-2/Steven Baker 27-2/Rookie draft pick
OLG- Person 27-5/Jones 25-3/ UFA signing
OC- Barnes 27-4/Rhaney 23-1/Jones 25-3/Person 27-5
ORG- Saffold27-5/Bond 25-2/Rookie draft pick
ORT- Barksdale 28-5/ Jones 25-3/ Rookie draft pick

No rookies above starting. The above Ram OL IMO is more probable. The good luck of signing on UFA OLG Boling or OLG Franklin along with 2 or 3 first & second day draft OL selections may fill in the dozen or more that will be needed & increase the overall talent in this very young OL. We all said we needed to go young on the Ol so here it is. So Snead & Fisher will need to secure all three of the former Ram Ol'ers who are in free agency. This sounds more realistic to me than all this Iupati or Stefen Wisniewski.
Maybe, GB is in pretty good CAP shape, but they also have several very good players entering free agency. Not sure they can sign them all. John Kuhn, Randall Cobb, Bryan Bulaga, DT's Letroy Guion & BJ Raji, 3 CB's, a SS & an ILB.

My small brain says whatever UFA's that are involved in keeping that all pro QB upright will get most all that available cap $$$$ i.e Kuhn & Bulaga.

Last edited:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Barksdale is the #1 priority for me. Sure he didn't play great this year, but I think he was playing hurt. Also, we will need two new starters on the Oline. Without Barksdale we will need 3.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is a great thread. I have a few thoughts on offseason FA strategy...

I don't think ST Louis is a negative for either coaching or FA candidates, at all. It's clearly an ascending team just a few players short of playoff worthiness, if not the SB. That's a powerful incentive to come here, if you ask me.

While I've had my issues with some of Fisher's decisions and his overall W/L record, there's no denying that players love to play for him. Another powerful incentive to come here.

And if the Rams move to Inglewood, what coach/player wouldn't love to live in SoCal? Moving, BTW, is normal for NFL coaches and players. Hell, they're practically nomadic.

I think signing Britt to a reasonable new contract is a no brainer. His intangibles for our young WR's is worth a HELLUVA lot. Besides, had he had a decent QB throwing to him this year, he would have put up some serious numbers for us.

I think Barksdale should, and will be resigned if he's at all reasonable with his salary demands. A healthy and experienced ROT will be badly needed on an OL next year that might have some rookies and/or youngsters starting.

I expect them to sign 2 FA's for C and OG (one of each).

I expect them to draft at least one interior OL by the 2nd round, maybe even in the first. They could take another later.

The reason for my above 2 points is that surely S/F understand that our interior OL is a screaming need. So I think they will "flood" the positions with new talent and let all of these players sort out starting positions in camp. Enough with the sputtering running game when we need it the most. And enough with either QB's getting injured or running for their lives while open receivers are there for the taking.

One last thing about FA this offseason. I think S/F will go for top quality over quantity. That's been their trend lately.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is a great thread. I have a few thoughts on offseason FA strategy...

One last thing about FA this offseason. I think S/F will go for top quality over quantity. That's been their trend lately.

Good for us, not so good for them, ... one big problem for SF this next year will be their ability to participate in free agency, they are already up against the CAP wall.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clint Boling.

Reasonably priced player that can provide solid play at either OG spot and can play RT in a pinch. Perfect 6th OL and a solid starter if the rookie(s) we pickup need time.

Ramathon

What he said.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Good for us, not so good for them, ... one big problem for SF this next year will be their ability to participate in free agency, they are already up against the CAP wall.

Cap shouldn't be a problem at all, River.

I'm assuming that J Long and Wells are released. That Bradford renegotiates. And that Langford takes a $3 million pay cut.

Plus I understand that the cap will be $10 million higher next year.

We should be just fine cap wise, I believe.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Cap shouldn't be a problem at all, River.

I'm assuming that J Long and Wells are released. That Bradford renegotiates. And that Langford takes a $3 million pay cut.

Plus I understand that the cap will be $10 million higher next year.

We should be just fine cap wise, I believe.
Not sure what you were responding to, our CAP should be better than the last several years. I was commenting on your statement that the 49'ers would be players in free agency for top talent.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not sure what you were responding to, our CAP should be better than the last several years. I was commenting on your statement that the 49'ers would be players in free agency for top talent.

I now see the problem, River.

I use S/F as shorthand for Snead and Fisher. You interpreted it as San Francisco. That "/" changes everything, doesn't it?

Thus the disconnect. Sorry about that. I've been doing that for a couple of years on another board. Didn't give it a thought over here.