What is Gurley's problem this year??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lots of opportunity to rag on the whole team but there isn't one player I am more disappointed with so far this year than Gurley.

Is he hurt? Did he forget how to find those creases? Why is he going down so much easier this year than last? Is he getting too much attention from the hoes in LA? Spending too much time making commercials? Is it all the Olines fault?

I don't get the All 22 and I don't re-run the games over and over to evaluate what might be going on.

What's your take?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Well, It certainly is not all the Oline as much as some want to believe it is. Bad decisions and Vision at times, Imatient, pressing etc...

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
The QB who can't get the defense to respect his arm.
Gurley ran for 1100+ In 13 games with Keenum and Foles last year. So this thing about it being the QB is nonsense.

The difference I see from Gurley this year is that he is not patient enough. He hits the hole too fast and does not wait for his blocks to develop. It's like he's anxious to get going and he sees a hole but it closes up fast and gets tackled for 2-5 yard gains. The O-line can do a batter job as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's the line.

This is like being in a bad nightmare, a flashback to when Bettis struggled and fans were all over him it was literally the same BS. Rams were dumb enough under Brooks to think he was the problem, only to find out behind the Steelers' line that the guy was still the same badass MFer he was before.

Gurley is not the problem. It's the line. It's the receivers who whiff on blocks on the edge. It's the TEs who miss assignments too. Run game is a team effort, not just the running back.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I seemed to remember most of gurley's big runs came when we faked the jet sweep or end around with tevon and the defense would take a step in the wrong direction. The oline would open holes because of the misstep and gurley was off to the races. We don't do much of that this year.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He looks mentally out of it because the line is consistently terrible at run blocking. I'm not seeing guys get to the second level and make it the the LBs. So many guys running clean to Gurley it's weird to watch, kinda like a bad movie. I'm miffed that they can't adjust and make him a serious weapon in the passing game using the middle of the field. How many LB's can run with him after he gets a couple of steps? His best plays this year have come in the passing game, expand it and make D's defend something else.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems the oline is taking the most hits. It sure doesn't look like they are getting the job done either running or passing game. Is the scheme so much different than last year? Do they get a pass this year? Is it ok to throw away a year learning a new system?

Personally I'm sick of waiting for next year for this team to get it together

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Bad coaching all round.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I think it's play calling, Boras isn't getting the job done. Gurly's burying himself in the line too soon, let a hole develop (of course a bette O-Line would help. Also get Gurly outside, let him gallop. I see no creativeness like the last 2 years.

63ee28aad339cf8e3a94ceadfa56cf6964b82de6ab7ba6180ba8acd0731ee341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think it's play calling, Boras isn't getting the job done. Gurly's burying himself in the line too soon, let a hole develop (of course a bette O-Line would help. Also get Gurly outside, let him gallop. I see no creativeness like the last 2 years.

63ee28aad339cf8e3a94ceadfa56cf6964b82de6ab7ba6180ba8acd0731ee341.jpg

Can'tagree that the play calling and creativity was better...It got Cignetti fired and I think Boras has has done a decent job...Just my opinion of course but I'm one that puts a little more of it on Gurley, not just the OL...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I think Fisher is to blame here.

Gurley was treated like a prima donna in the pre-season and that just hasn't worked out. The Bradfordphobia has ruined Fisher. In my opinion Gurley doesn't do well when he's treated like something othter than a football player. Fisher did him no favors by treating him like a china doll and robbing him of training camp.

This is from the pre-season game this year Vs KC:

Coach Jeff Fisher said Thursday that Gurley would play one series against the Kansas City Chiefs, perhaps two before taking a seat. Asked what he wanted to see from the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year,

"A couple carries, maybe some protection stuff, and get him out," Fisher said.

That's fine by Gurley. He couldn't remember what he was doing during the preseason last year, aside from some pregame warmups.

"Don't even want to remember," Gurley said.

Gurley is looking forward to live action, as there are limits to what practice can accomplish in preparing for the regular season.

"You can do that stuff in practice, but those game reps creep up on you a lot faster," Gurley said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=17343106&src=desktop

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After watching the Titans line tell the Jags we're going to run the ball and there is nothing you can do about itI was really disheartened. I thought that was going to be the Rams this year. We know you know we are running the ball with Gurley and we don't care. You can't stop it.

How is that not working????