What is a "true #1 WR"??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Look at the teams who are winning Super Bowls...

Seattle-Went without big name guys Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin. No real TE threat. Golden Taint?
Baltimore-Torrey Smith,Jacoby Jones and Boldin. Ok nice receivers but are they elite? No TE threat.
Green Bay-? A bunch of quality guys. Decent TE but hardly elite(J.Finley).
New Orleans-? A bunch of quality guys. Jimmy Graham emerged as an elite TE the following season.
Pittsburgh-A couple solid guys. Ward,Holmes and Wallace. Elite TE in H.Miller.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I hear what you are saying mojo however all teams have different makeup and chemistry. The things in common on the above teams is Depth, Defense and not to start a fire but arguably a better QB in at least 4 of 5 above examples by most people outside of the ROD

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
So Victor Cruz and T.Y. Hilton aren't no.1 receivers?
Correct. When they can play outside as well as they do out of slot, then they will be #1 WRs. Sometimes a running back will lead a team in receptions. That does not make them a #1 WR, IMO

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whats with all the new guys saying just saying Sammy watkins over and over?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Whats with all the new guys saying just saying Sammy watkins over and over?
Good question. Its like some people's mantra around here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
i'll settle for a receiver who can consistently get open and catch the ball - don't see one of those on this roster

Sure looks like total failure by Snead & Fisher to get a WR to meet the above demands...Quick-Givens-Austin-Bailey. Plain truth that's four mistakes two of those four are very big mistakes if that holds true! If that conclusion continues in the very near future with all those four players then there will be sure some more consequences & ramifications.... some more of which came home to haunt us badly in 2013..... Scary!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me, a true #1 WR is a WR that possesses no limitations on where he can attack the field, dictates coverage, is consistent and reliable and is capable of winning 1 on 1 match-ups with #1 CBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be open to that. Bring him back on a cheap contract, already has a great rapport with Bradford, also allows us to use Tavon on the outside where some have speculated he's most effective.

Same. But some here seem to believe that if he gets hurt, he hurts us more than he helps.

Count me in with the personnel executives that point out that there aren't really that many #1 NFL talents in the entire league. But, I'll just add that having one is not necessary to score a buttload of points, yet I'm perplexed as to why so many seem to believe this team can't succeed without one.

Agreed. You can dictate coverage with your running game and if you protect your QB, a #1 WR is a whole lot less important.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Good question. Its like some people's mantra around here.
And other people's mantra is Robinson and/or Matthews. And it's going to be that way until a pick is made.

Sure looks like total failure by Snead & Fisher to get a WR to meet the above demands...Quick-Givens-Austin-Bailey. Plain truth that's four mistakes two of those four are very big mistakes if that holds true! If that conclusion continues in the very near future with all those four players then there will be sure some more consequences & ramifications.... some more of which came home to haunt us badly in 2013..... Scary!
And I'd say of that list, only Quick was drafted as a potential #1. Austin was drafted as a "special weapon" type, and the others were drafted after the 2nd round, which I would imagine produced significantly fewer #1 WRs.

I'd still say what looks like total failure by Snead & Fisher is signing a big bucks LT when we already had an LT, and now people want to draft another LT. (Although thankfully, if the Rams go that route, Long can be cut next year with only $2.4 million in "dead money", but for this year, we would have a fully guaranteed salary $9.25 million lame duck.)

iced

It's a bigger indictment of the Rams WR position coach than it is Snead and Fisher, imo. We've seen Bourdau make a hell lot more with less - can't say the same for Sherman. He had Dez bryant in Dallas - which begs the question - is it the coaching at WR position, or is it the talent there?

Austin isn't a #1 nor is he meant to be. He's a weapon, a game changer - like a randall cobb, sproles, or reggie bush

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I hear what you are saying mojo however all teams have different makeup and chemistry. The things in common on the above teams is Depth, Defense and not to start a fire but arguably a better QB in at least 4 of 5 above examples by most people outside of the ROD
Sure they do,but we can go back even further and realize that it's not imperative to trot out a 6'3" WR with blazing speed who can't be covered.
IMO building a championship roster is as much about building chemistry and continuity as it is about trying to assemble the most talented 22 starters to put on the field.

I totally agree that defense still wins championships. I've stated so countless times in here :coach:

As for your QB comment...i don't know,it seems to me that having an intelligent QB who doesn't make mistakes is a common theme as well. I've been very candid about my feelings on Bradford. He's been disappointing in my eyes and i have my concerns,but i fully support him,and i do think he can win a Super Bowl here. Things just have to fall into place in other areas around him(better defense and better protection namely).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a bigger indictment of the Rams WR position coach than it is Snead and Fisher, imo. We've seen Bourdau make a hell lot more with less - can't say the same for Sherman. He had Dez bryant in Dallas - which begs the question - is it the coaching at WR position, or is it the talent there?

Austin isn't a #1 nor is he meant to be. He's a weapon, a game changer - like a randall cobb, sproles, or reggie bush

Come again? Miles Austin went from a UDFA to a multiple time Pro Bowler under Sherman in Dallas. Same with Donald Driver in Green Bay. Javon Walker also went to the Pro Bowl in Sherman's final year in Green Bay(although Walker was a first rounder).

It's amazing to me that Rams fans have been blaming the WR Coach since Holt and Bruce left. Back then, it was talent. Now? It's youth. Give the guy a chance to coach. He has a strong track record in the league.

PhxRam

Come again? Miles Austin went from a UDFA to a multiple time Pro Bowler under Sherman in Dallas. Same with Donald Driver in Green Bay. Javon Walker also went to the Pro Bowl in Sherman's final year in Green Bay(although Walker was a first rounder).

It's amazing to me that Rams fans have been blaming the WR Coach since Holt and Bruce left. Back then, it was talent. Now? It's youth. Give the guy a chance to coach. He has a strong track record in the league.

I get what you are saying, but sometimes coaches need to take a different approach.

Vermeil is a prime example.. If he doesnt change to adapt to todays NFL, GSOT probably doesnt exist.

Maybe Sherman needs to change it up as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you are saying, but sometimes coaches need to take a different approach.

Vermeil is a prime example.. If he doesnt change to adapt to todays NFL, GSOT probably doesnt exist.

Maybe Sherman needs to change it up as well.

Maybe...or maybe he just needs a chance to get these young guys adjusted. I've seen improvement in Pettis. And personally, I think Givens's lack of improvement is on him.

PhxRam

Maybe...or maybe he just needs a chance to get these young guys adjusted. I've seen improvement in Pettis. And personally, I think Givens's lack of improvement is on him.

Where is that line?

At what point can we stop using his past to predict the future?