What if...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wonderboy

Rookie
I have a hypothetical question to pose. So if you don't like those, feel free to pass on this thread, my feelings are not hurt.

What if Greg the Leg would have missed one of his kicks on Sunday and the Rams would have lost? Would that have changed anyone's perspective on Austin Davis? I know this is kind of a silly question and believe me there is nobody that loves the Rams more than I do so I'm not trying to be divisive. I also know that everybody that is now an Austin Davis lover will say it wouldn't have changed anything. Here is what I'm getting at.

I thought Austin Davis was solid but not spectacular. I thought the game-plan was extremely simplified. He did execute that gameplan though. He also came up with some big throws down the stretch and nobody can take that away from him (I certainly don't want to take anything away from him) but the Buc's are not a world-beating defense and they were down three-fourths of their starting defensive line and their middle linebacker. And I don't know if you can beat NFL defenses week in and week out with that basic of a gameplan when it is such a week to week adjustment league. So again, I don't hate Austin Davis, I like him. But I don't get all the fuss, I honestly don't! If the Rams miss one of four field goal attempts they lose the game and are still ranked #32 in the NFL power rankings. I just wonder if that would have changed the perspective on AD. Feel free to enlighten me, I'm not afraid to be in the minority by not (yet) thinking that AD is the next coming of Drew Brees.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't have changed my opinion. His play is independent of the team results. I don't think anyone is calling his play spectacular. But he surprised most of us by playing like a starting QB. He's not Brees or Manning but he showed promise and we want to see more.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wouldn't have changed my opinion. His play is independent of the team results. I don't think anyone is calling his play spectacular. But he surprised most of us by playing like a starting QB. He's not Brees or Manning but he showed promise and we want to see more.
He's better. He's Dreyton Branning.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I have a hypothetical question to pose. So if you don't like those, feel free to pass on this thread, my feelings are not hurt.

What if Greg the Leg would have missed one of his kicks on Sunday and the Rams would have lost? Would that have changed anyone's perspective on Austin Davis? I know this is kind of a silly question and believe me there is nobody that loves the Rams more than I do so I'm not trying to be divisive. I also know that everybody that is now an Austin Davis lover will say it wouldn't have changed anything. Here is what I'm getting at.

I thought Austin Davis was solid but not spectacular. I thought the game-plan was extremely simplified. He did execute that gameplan though. He also came up with some big throws down the stretch and nobody can take that away from him (I certainly don't want to take anything away from him) but the Buc's are not a world-beating defense and they were down three-fourths of their starting defensive line and their middle linebacker. And I don't know if you can beat NFL defenses week in and week out with that basic of a gameplan when it is such a week to week adjustment league. So again, I don't hate Austin Davis, I like him. But I don't get all the fuss, I honestly don't! If the Rams miss one of four field goal attempts they lose the game and are still ranked #32 in the NFL power rankings. I just wonder if that would have changed the perspective on AD. Feel free to enlighten me, I'm not afraid to be in the minority by not (yet) thinking that AD is the next coming of Drew Brees.

Yes. I would have called for Bradford and a wheelchair.

Wonderboy

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's also possibly true my opinion was swayed somewhat by the stupid people on the talk radio on my way home this afternoon (Columbia, MO). They were "arguing" Davis vs. Hill and all of the ignorant ass callers thought Davis was far superior to Dreyton Branning!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Spectacular? No.
Better then 25 other starting qbs in the league last week? Yes.
(25 was just a guess);)

fearsomefour

Legend
I would hope most people can see deeper than that and not judge a QB solely on a win/loss with a kicker missing kicks.
Davis played well and with poise. Very impressive. We will see if he can maintain.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little bit maybe, but people would have been calling to cut Greg the Leg. Guaranteed.

That's 100% true. It amazes me the amount of flack Zuerlein gets for a guy that's the least of our worries.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Winning made the difference,even in the minds of those who think it didn't,JMO

beej

Rookie
I think if gz misses that last kick most people come away impressed by Davis. One of the earlier kicks, who knows.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the same could be said if the defense had allowed a game winning kick on that final. The world would be upside down right now in Rams Nation if that happened.

Winning tends to cover up a lot of issues.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Didn't someone post that according to PFF Davis is the third best QB in the league right now? I know that isn't really true but no matter what you think of PFF it does show that he's played very well so far.