What if you were John Elway?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'll be shocked if an extension isn't signed after this season.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
You are incorrect.

T Austin, Brokers, Olgartree and TJMc will be on the bubble before those two. Like the next year.

Will be interesting times and they currently do not have the draft picks to back stop negative decisions.

How am I incorrect?

the 5th yr option is a no brainer.
the first tag of him would still be well below market for what he brings, so it is a pretty sure thing.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Is it just me?

But at some point north of $20 million per, doesn't it become somewhat moot?

I mean, money that the player can't spend in his lifetime? Or the lifetime of his children?

At some point, I think other factors begin to take on more and more importance. Or at least they should.

Teammates
Coaches
Schemes
Home city
Marketing opportunities

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
By the end of this season at least 28 teams would beg AD to take 17 mil a year so I don't really worry about what the rams pay him, and they WILL be paying him. He's EVERY coach's/team's/fan's dream player and as someone mentioned, it would be an organizational regret of Reggie white proportion if they got cute and basically forced him out. I don't think all the spin doctors in Washington DC could prevent a full-on fan revolt if fisher even laughably attempted to explain why the rams would be a better team in one of his characteristic, matter-of-fact type press conferences. I can see it now. Fisher droning on about how we were close on the contract but we have a team to think about and this is what's best for the team, and someone from the press Corp yelling, "That's horseshit!" There'd be no comeback for that one.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have traded him.

And we will be facing the same conundrum with Donald soon...I love him as a player and I want the Rams to sign him long term, but IMO when you pay a defensive player $20 million per year, it's a deathblow to your championship aspirations.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Is it just me?

I mean, money that the player can't spend in his lifetime? Or the lifetime of his children?

At some point, I think other factors begin to take on more and more importance. Or at least they should.

Teammates
Coaches
Schemes
Home city
Marketing opportunities

You would think so, but isn't the case with these guys...Miller was going to sit out because not enough of his King's ransom was guaranteed..I understand the free market concept, but I agree that these guys are out of control with this stuff...Mine will not be the prevailing attitude, I've heard it a thousand times..Short career, have to get it while they can...Agreed, but I kind of think 50+ million bucks is a fair chunk of change...I also understand that asking the athlete to give for the sake of the team isn't fair if the team won't respond in kind...

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
You would think so, but isn't the case with these guys...Miller was going to sit out because not enough of his King's ransom was guaranteed..I understand the free market concept, but I agree that these guys are out of control with this stuff...Mine will not be the prevailing attitude, I've heard it a thousand times..Short career, have to get it while they can...Agreed, but I kind of think 50+ million bucks is a fair chunk of change...I also understand that asking the athlete to give for the sake of the team isn't fair if the team won't respond in kind...
Is it just me?

Teammates
Coaches
Schemes
Home city
Marketing opportunities

Realize that while to most of us this level of money is "money that the player can't spend in his lifetime" that just isn't generally the case. Much like people that win the lottery their spending goes up. We can sit back and think how much more do you need, but it can always be spent...and unfortunately many spend it as fast as they get it. There is always a larger house, a faster car, a bigger boat.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If I'm Elway, the decision is simple. I'm not going to cripple my team. When you put all your eggs in one basket (especially with a non-QB), you cap your roster's talent right where it is and then cross your fingers that the player continues the same production without injury. If you franchise tag the player and they aren't happy, trade them. If this is a QB we are talking about, the story changes but no defensive player is worth their weight in gold. Looking at the Watt deal, he is a great player but is the team benefiting? Do you count making the playoffs in the weakest division in the NFL and being crushed in the first round a success? You need a team of players in football, this is not the NBA.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If I'm Elway, the decision is simple. I'm not going to cripple my team. When you put all your eggs in one basket (especially with a non-QB), you cap your roster's talent right where it is and then cross your fingers that the player continues the same production without injury. If you franchise tag the player and they aren't happy, trade them. If this is a QB we are talking about, the story changes but no defensive player is worth their weight in gold. Looking at the Watt deal, he is a great player but is the team benefiting? Do you count making the playoffs in the weakest division in the NFL and being crushed in the first round a success? You need a team of players in football, this is not the NBA.

Yeah... but I've seen teams with one total badass on D totally outperform a D with a majority of good players. Sometimes the talent is worth every penny... even on D.

I agree with you about a QB's worth being completely on another level though. They will always be paid more than the rest... and I bet one of them will be the 1st to get a 100% guaranteed contract like you see in the NBA.

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
If I was Elway I would've paid Von Miller as well.. Mostly because of the low cost of QB's on the team for the next few years etc. Von is an elite game changer and forces an offensive coordinator and QB to game plan for him all 4 quarters.

He took over the playoffs like LT used to do with the NY Giants in his prime. If they had a top 10 QB salary cap hit, I likely wouldn't have locked him up but I haven't studied the Broncos entire roster and contracts enough to know all the intangibles involved.

(LB) Von Miller 6'3 250 lbs (27 years old) (dominated the Patriots & Panthers in post season)
tom21.jpg

260 Total Tackles... 204 Solo... Sacks.. 60.. 12 Sacks avg per year.. (5 year career)

vonsack.gif

camfumble.0.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If i was Elway i wouldn't sweat it too much either way because my team has gone to 2 Super Bowls and just won a championship.