What if we sign Richie and Saffold?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The Rams are interested in Saffold but aren't willing to over pay for him. He's not worth 8 mil a season if that's what he's after.

I was against Cogs but he would listen to Jake. How good is he, really? If he's considered a top 13 guard then I'd be OK with it. I'm more OK with not signing him, though.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It's time to come home Ritchie.

Probably, it hinges on his relationship with Long. Fisher can talk a good game to him, but it would be Long to talk him into signing here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think @Dog brings up an excellent point about Cogs. He just can't be trusted, and he's proven that many times over already.

I believe Cogs would be too easily baited into doing something idiotic when the shit starts hitting the fan. That's the one thing that Cogs has proven for certain.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
How good is he, really? If he's considered a top 13 guard then I'd be OK with it.
Incognito is going to be 31 in July and wasn't even a top twenty guard in his heyday. You do the math, as you Americans like to say.

:sneaky:

moklerman

Warner-phile
Incognito is going to be 31 in July and wasn't even a top twenty guard in his heyday. You do the math, as you Americans like to say.

:sneaky:
Well, he did make the Pro-Bowl in 2012. Seems like he was playing pretty well until the whole Martin incident.

fearsomefour

Legend
He's a solid player. Hasn't done well as a run blocker in the Dolphins ZBS scheme but he's 335, I figure Boudreau might be able to tap into that. Is a pretty good pass protector. Incognito is a better but Jerry doesn't come with the same sort of baggage and he's still relatively young with some upside.
Cool.
The main knock of Jerry I have read is him being inconsistant but a part of that being him not right for their scheme. Adding players like Jerry and or a solid ver CB would seem the way the Rams would have to go in FA. Adding a big splash FA like Bryd doesnt seem the way things are gonna go this offseason, which is fine. I would like to see an Olineman added and a DB.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, he did make the Pro-Bowl in 2012. Seems like he was playing pretty well until the whole Martin incident.
Incognito is a very good G. Can be dominating in the run game and solid in the pass game, occasional break down there. Much better than average in my opinion.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams are already perceived to be a "dirty" team. Adding Incognito (who is past his best and wasn't that good to begin with) wouldn't exactly help us shed that particular misconception.

As for Saffold, if he is willing to accept that he can be an elite guard but never more than an average tackle and get paid accordingly, I'd love to keep him on the roster.
I think the hiring of Williams wont exactly help that image either.
Fishers' teams are always regarded that way because there is some truth to it.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I bet Richie only gets signed when a team becomes desperate. The circus tied to him is more than most teams will want to deal with.

It sounds like Saffold is going to have some offers on the table from other clubs...might want to start setting your heart elsewhere.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If we're seen as a dirty team already what's the problem? We get loads of bogus penalties as it is. Lets just embrace it and be the baddest team on turf. Its better to be loved and feared - but if you cant be both then it is better to be feared than loved as one old dead Italian guy said.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here are some fact's that I would look at.

The Rams OL looks very weak in the interior.
The left side of the Miami Dolphins was outstanding when Jake & Cog were teamed together.
Cog & Jake go together like peanut butter & jelly.
In 2012 Cog made the pro bowl team playing next to Jake.
Cog if signed would be an instant starter @ OLG next to Jake
Cog would be the best OG on this Ram team if he signed.
Jake kept Cog out of trouble & that's when Cog has done his best work.
Name me the starting OLG in this Ram OL unit?
The Cog would finally block & manhandle the Seahawks RDT Brandon Mebane something no other Ram OG has never done.

I would not even give the thought of signing the 3O yr old Cog if it were not for Jake Long being here. I would have no issues taking a chance on the Cog for a one yr contract with some serious exclusives pertaining to the Cog behavior on & off the field. I am thinking that Fisher would be able to place very clear lines in front of Cog. Fisher is the type of HC that Cog would respect and behave if not ....bye again.

Last edited:

laramsoriginal

Starter
The media destroyed richie before having any real knowledge about what really happened.

PC media is out of control

Last edited:

moklerman

Warner-phile
I bet Richie only gets signed when a team becomes desperate. The circus tied to him is more than most teams will want to deal with.

It sounds like Saffold is going to have some offers on the table from other clubs...might want to start setting your heart elsewhere.
I have to wonder just how much(little) teams actually care about media perception. After Vick got another chance I pretty much quit thinking that teams cared about media perception.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
There are better guards in the NFL than Richie. Without looking, I'd bet there are better younger guards that are FA. I'd bet there are better guards in the draft.

He is a decent player but he isn't such a talent that is so hard to find that you need to make it a priority to go out and get someone like him. There are so many other alternate routes.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I have to wonder just how much(little) teams actually care about media perception. After Vick got another chance I pretty much quit thinking that teams cared about media perception.
I'd say that at the time Vick had more talent than what Incognito has. This thought that he is elite talent is grossly overstated.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Rams don't have the cap space to reach out and sign and young FA guards....after all Rams are still trying to bring back Saffold but if the cant then the OG position for the rams would be top priority. Anyone else tired of seeing the OL suck or often injured?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
There is a reason that guy isn't on the Rams anymore. The dude is completely undisciplined. Sure, he his a great G but he has a terrible temper and ends up costing the team in stupid ways.

"In four years with the Rams from 2006 to 2009, Incognito drew 38 penalties, including seven unnecessary roughness calls, more than any other player during that span."

"The two personal fouls led to a $50,000 fine from the NFL and a letter from the league office warning him that future infractions of the types you have committed may lead to increased disciplinary action up to and including suspension."

"In 2013, former Rams general manager Billy Devaney told ESPN that Spagnuolo had given Incognito numerous chances to clean up his act, and had put him on notice that the Rams would cut ties with him if he couldn't control his anger."

"Incognito has garnered attention over the years for perceived dirty play amongst NFL players, coaches, and fans. He has been alleged to have gouged players' eyes, punched players, and made illegal tackles on a regular basis."

"During the Dolphins' annual celebrity golf tournament at the Turnberry Isle Resort and Club in Aventura, Florida, a drunken Incognito harassed a female volunteer at the club. He rubbed her private parts with a golf club, pressed his private parts against her buttocks and dumped water in her face."

The list goes on from here. There is a difference between being a dirty player and being a completely uncontrollable wrecking ball to a team. He has been given second chances and blew them. He is just not the answer.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Richie will be on his best behavior so he is worth it.

A lot of those antics comes from being immature, he will soon be 31 and coming off a year long suspension.

Rams should bring richie in on a short leash.
Like I've posted ad nauseam, rams need help on the OL

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'd say that at the time Vick had more talent than what Incognito has. This thought that he is elite talent is grossly overstated.
At the time Vick was signed? He was out of football shape to be sure and nothing close to "elite". Not that anyone is saying that Incognito is elite either but he is pro-bowl caliber and not over the hill by any means.

But that isn't really the point. Saying the Rams shouldn't sign Incognito because of the media backlash it would cause is a false premise. Incognito didn't do what he was vilified for. If Vick, who DID do all those things could get an NFL job, then there's no reason that media perception should factor into signing Incognito. He is FAR less poisonous than Vick was at the time so I don't see how it would be an issue for the Rams or any other team.