What if the Colts take Robert Griffin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NI Ram Fam

UDFA
I’ve recently been thinking on whether or not RGIII or Andrew Luck will be picked #1 overall this April. I’m obviously aware that the vast majority of media types, fans, armchair GM’s and such are nearly certain that Luck will go to the Colts as the successor to Peyton Manning.
It makes all the sense in the world need + prospect = draft pick. This means that Rams fans have been looking down the draft chart for someone to hopefully trade up and take RGIII, most folk say the Browns and Redskins are the most likely suitors, I’m sure most Rams fans hope it’s the Browns since they have 2 picks this year and we can maybe get Blackmon and someone like Mike Adams. Both would really help Sam out, Browns get their man, everyone wins.

The above is what I’d call the conventional wisdom of this draft.

When does the draft ever go like that?

What if the Colts take Robert Griffin?
Why would they prefer RGIII over Luck I hear you ask. Well, Griffin is seemingly the underdog in this competition but it’s definitely not outside the realms of possibility. Take the new Cols leadership, Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson. Pagano is a defensive minded head coach who will probably not be involved as much in the offensive side of the ball as he is in the defence. This will probably mean that Bruce Arians (their new OC) will have a big say on who the QB is. It’s obviously very difficult to predict what will happen here but there’s a chance that Arians could prefer the more mobile QB. Arians was the Steelers OC and Big Ben is pretty mobile. The Colts OL is terrible, necessitating a more mobile QB (unless it’s #18 who gets rid of the ball faster than anyone....ever). Ryan Grigson is another who will have a big influence on the #1 selection. He has just come from the Eagles where they have Michael Vick. It’s been said that Griffin is as mobile as Vick but with a much better pass. The GM knows how dangerous this can be at first hand and will no doubt make it known in the war room. Vick’s biggest issues as a footballer are his propensity to put himself in danger of getting hit and his woeful short and medium accuracy. Griffin is potentially Vick without the issues (and the electrified dog cage). What I’m saying here is that Griffin is sure to be strongly considered for #1 and it could definitely happen.

So, what if Luck is available for the Rams??
First off, I’m NOT saying that the Rams should draft him. I, as I’m sure most of you are, am happy with Sam and even if I wasn’t, the cost of offloading the most expensive rookie contract in history is prohibitive to cutting or trading him. What I’m wondering here is :

What sort of trade bounty could we get if it were Andrew Luck sitting at #2 instead of RGIII?
I have no Idea about what the answer could be for this. It is surely possible that we get a Ditka-Saints-Ricky type trade offer. Imagine the holes in your roster that could be filled with 2 draft classes (minus a 5th for Brandon Lloyd). Maybe the market wouldn’t be any higher than it would be for Griffin? Maybe the new Rams leadership will trade Sam for Luck? Maybe a team will trade a 2012 1st, a 2013 1st and an elite veteran? Maybe there’ll be no trade at all?

There are literally millions of different factors that will affect the outcome of the 2012 draft, never mind the first two picks, but the Rams are definitely in a great position.

I’d love to know your thoughts on what would happen if Luck dropped to #2.

Cheers

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
I remember everyone talking about the Rams and Colts leading up to week 17 and im pretty sure I heard "3 1st rounders" for Luck if we had the #1 overall pick.

When you look at Luck and RG III, Luck has to be looked at as the "safe" pick. For a QB, that sounds ridiculous, but I believe its true for Luck. Im also sick of hearing how RG III offers more UPSIDE. What is that supposed to mean? RG III offers more of a wow factor. I think both QBs are gonna be good players and can lead their teams to the playoffs consistently. RG III offers more VERSATILITY. He is an incredible athlete. Were gonna hear all the comparisons to Vick, but thats also gonna bring criticism. Vick has been hurt a lot throughout his NFL career. Luck isnt a statue in the pocket, hes also pretty mobile. One criticism you can make for Luck is throws downfield. He didnt do that very much at Stanford. It was a TE system with a power running game. He didnt have a lot of talent at WR. RG III, on the other hand, has taken plenty of shots downfield and hes been accurate doing that. You have your pros and cons for both of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Whoever they end up with, just trade that pick for a King's ransom. That's all I care about.

Anonymous

Draft Luck then trade for picks or compete with SB. We have to get the QB right.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Whoever they end up with, just trade that pick for a King's ransom. That's all I care about.
Yep...this ^