What if...the 2006 Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What if...

The Rams would've held on to those 2 fuckin seacrap Ws in 2006? Rams would've been 10-6 and in the playoffs. Linny would get consideration for coach of the year (insane I know). Draft pick would've been higher, so Adam Carriker probably wouldn't have gotten picked. Instead, they would've picked from Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Meriweather, Anthony Spencer, Jon Beason, Joe Staley, or Ben Grubbs. Plus the rest of the draft would've been different, too.

Course the 2006 draft and the other past ones would've still bit their ass.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
What if...

The Rams would've held on to those 2 freakin seacrap Ws in 2006? Rams would've been 10-6 and in the playoffs. Linny would get consideration for coach of the year (insane I know). Draft pick would've been higher, so Adam Carriker probably wouldn't have gotten picked. Instead, they would've picked from Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Meriweather, Anthony Spencer, Jon Beason, Joe Staley, or Ben Grubbs. Plus the rest of the draft would've been different, too.

It is interesting to think about that.

In 2002, we won a meaningless game 16 against the 49ers. Instead having the chance to draft Marcus Turfant (who was a favorite) we got Jimmy Kennedy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, that 2006 draft was stupid. Tye Hill. :roll:
Not that they knew ahead of time or anything, but Antonio Cromartie was still on the board.

The Rams' drafts for several years were just awful. I mean, from 2000 to 2007 it was just horrible. It's no small wonder why this team was absolutely devoid of talent when Devaney & company took over in late 2008. So while we may have had different opportunities in 2006 if the schedule played out differently, I think it's safe to say that it still would have been completely fucked up by Shaw & Zygmunt anyway.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Angry Ram said:
What if...

The Rams would've held on to those 2 freakin seacrap Ws in 2006? Rams would've been 10-6 and in the playoffs. Linny would get consideration for coach of the year (insane I know). Draft pick would've been higher, so Adam Carriker probably wouldn't have gotten picked. Instead, they would've picked from Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Meriweather, Anthony Spencer, Jon Beason, Joe Staley, or Ben Grubbs. Plus the rest of the draft would've been different, too.

I try not to dwell on that too much, but I do think about it from time to time. Two two-point losses, that we surrendered in the final minute after taking the lead inside 2. Torry had the 67-yard circus catch in the home game and SJ had the 14-yard draw run carrying three men 5 yards into the end zone. Cogs cost us the game in Seattle. His dumbass un-necessary roughness 15-yard penalty gave the Seacocks great field position to kick the game winner (remember kickers kicked from the 30 back then). Brown, ironically, won both games for them.

I hope we can sweep the chickens in the coming years and get revenge for those years of dominance they had over us. I will never forget the two losses in 2006, or the Gus F#$* fumble at the 1 as time expired. Nor will I forget the more recent week 17 loss in 2010 or the national TV embarrassment on MNF last year. Fisher has converted us from being pushovers, and we will have 4+ wins in the division in the coming years

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Not that they knew ahead of time or anything, but Antonio Cromartie was still on the board.

The Rams' drafts for several years were just awful. I mean, from 2000 to 2007 it was just horrible. It's no small wonder why this team was absolutely devoid of talent when Devaney & company took over in late 2008. So while we may have had different opportunities in 2006 if the schedule played out differently, I think it's safe to say that it still would have been completely fucked up by Shaw & Zygmunt anyway.
I fell out of my chair when we drafted Tye Hill. He was sooo much lower on my board. I wanted Chad Greenway. That's what happens when you force a pick with a need.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
X said:

The Rams' drafts for several years were just awful. I mean, from 2000 to 2007 it was just horrible. It's no small wonder why this team was absolutely devoid of talent when Devaney & company took over in late 2008. So while we may have had different opportunities in 2006 if the schedule played out differently, I think it's safe to say that it still would have been completely freak up by Shaw & Zygmunt anyway.
I fell out of my chair when we drafted Tye Hill. He was sooo much lower on my board. I wanted Chad Greenway. That's what happens when you force a pick with a need.

No kidding.

Tye Hill, Jimmy Kennedy, Adam Carraker, Alex Barron, Jason Smith... holy cow we would have been much better off using Mel Kiper's mom to make our picks!

Terrible!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

The Rams' drafts for several years were just awful. I mean, from 2000 to 2007 it was just horrible. It's no small wonder why this team was absolutely devoid of talent when Devaney & company took over in late 2008. So while we may have had different opportunities in 2006 if the schedule played out differently, I think it's safe to say that it still would have been completely freak up by Shaw & Zygmunt anyway.

No kidding.

Tye Hill, Jimmy Kennedy, Adam Carraker, Alex Barron, Jason Smith... holy cow we would have been much better off using Mel Kiper's mom to make our picks!

Terrible!
Except for Barron, they were all forced. Barron was rated where he went, and we had a need at RT, and an aging LT. Barron's issues were motivation mostly, and that was factored into where he landed--into our laps.

Now that I look at all those names, and just made an excuse for Barron, most of those guys had motivation issues, as did Claude Wroten. As a GM, unmotivated players would be off my board entirely.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

No kidding.

Terrible!
Except for Barron, they were all forced. Barron was rated where he went, and we had a need at RT, and an aging LT. Barron's issues were motivation mostly, and that was factored into where he landed--into our laps.

Now that I look at all those names, and just made an excuse for Barron, most of those guys had motivation issues, as did Claude Wroten. As a GM, unmotivated players would be off my board entirely.

True.

And... I'd argue Barron wasn't horrific. Early in his career, exposed to a better situation (oline coaching), he might still be in the league.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

No kidding.

Terrible!

True.

And... I'd argue Barron wasn't horrific. Early in his career, exposed to a better situation (oline coaching), he might still be in the league.
I would argue that (and I have) too. Many think he was a bust, but he wasn't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
Many think he was a bust, but he wasn't.

First round pick.

30 years old.

Out of the league.

I think that probably qualifies for a bust without injury.

But for his years with us; he wasn't garbage. Just a bad situation for him, he wasn't strong enough (on his own) to do what he need to do, and he never recovered.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
CGI_Ram said:
In 2002, we won a meaningless game 16 against the 49ers. Instead having the chance to draft Marcus Turfant (who was a favorite) we got Jimmy Kennedy.

I dont believe in tanking a game for thought of better draft pick. Play to WIN every week no matter your record.

But yes a lot of "what if" thoughts over years run through my mind all the time...Such as the same year you mentioned. What if Bulger started most of the games in 2002? Warner was the key reason in all our loses (0-6 as a starter in 02 and terrible play). While Bulger brought this team out of the doom the injured and (at the time) declining Warner put us in. Rams start out 0-5, Bulger comes in and wins 5 straight games, playing great football himself! Warner returns for Wash and Philly game in week 12, 13, plays terrible turnover machine ball, mostly with his fumble habits. Bulger finished the season 6-0 as a starter and would have been on pace for 30 TDs. I am very convinced that if Bulger played 16 games in 2002 the Rams would have had 11-13 wins, most of the games Warner threw away ended in a very close fashion.

Of course at the time it would be silly to think to start Bulger in week 1 of 2002, Warner coming off a MVP year...But as a young fan just as the 2002 season was just about over I had the thought in my mind what if Bulger started all or most of the games...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the best question is...what happens if the Rams had a competent FO from 2006 to 2011? We were in position in 2006 and 2007 to come away with Haloti Ngata and Darrelle Revis who were major needs but went for Carriker and Tye Hill instead.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
I think the best question is...what happens if the Rams had a competent FO from 2006 to 2011? We were in position in 2006 and 2007 to come away with Haloti Ngata and Darrelle Revis who were major needs but went for Carriker and Tye Hill instead.
Bingo.

Devaney was an improvement from the pre-2009 group ... but far from perfect.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
biggame1190 said:
CGI_Ram said:

I dont believe in tanking a game for thought of better draft pick. Play to WIN every week no matter your record.

But yes a lot of "what if" thoughts over years run through my mind all the time...Such as the same year you mentioned. What if Bulger started most of the games in 2002? Warner was the key reason in all our loses (0-6 as a starter in 02 and terrible play). While Bulger brought this team out of the doom the injured and (at the time) declining Warner put us in. Rams start out 0-5, Bulger comes in and wins 5 straight games, playing great football himself! Warner returns for Wash and Philly game in week 12, 13, plays terrible turnover machine ball, mostly with his fumble habits. Bulger finished the season 6-0 as a starter and would have been on pace for 30 TDs. I am very convinced that if Bulger played 16 games in 2002 the Rams would have had 11-13 wins, most of the games Warner threw away ended in a very close fashion.

Of course at the time it would be silly to think to start Bulger in week 1 of 2002, Warner coming off a MVP year...But as a young fan just as the 2002 season was just about over I had the thought in my mind what if Bulger started all or most of the games...

I'm with you BG. I would never suggest or root for us to lose for a better pick.

I should have clarified; I am just suggesting how one fateful twist impacts things.

Your example of 2002 is an awesome what if, for sure.

Ha! Amazing we are talking about a season 10yrs ago! :grin:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:

Damn, so true.

Where is the vomit emoticon on this phone?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2