What I Saw at the Game; Biggest Problems

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
First and foremost, Vikings #1 goal was to test our QB's with pressure and would have made adjustments according to how we fared under those circumstances. They never had to make any real adjustments.

I can't say we kept everything short, we ran a ton of deep routes throughout the game. Several things affected where the ball ended up.

1) Offensive line wasn't holding up even without extra blitzers.

2) Hill didn't look comfortable, Davis has poor pocket awareness. We have to have great line play for either to succeed.

3) Schotty's overall playcalling was flat, generic, stagnant, and predictable. Schotty wasn't fooling anybody on a consistent basis yesterday. It was like we beleived we could just bull doze the Vikings on the ground despite constant extra men in the box. We did eventually open it up late in the game, which leads me to my next point.

4) I'm hoping it was just one game, but Hill and Davis had me thinking of Chase Keenum the whole second half. Hill moves like a 34 year old QB and there's little question his career is in its twilight. Not a bad option to hold down the fort for 2-3 games. It just goes to show how huge the Bradford injury was.

No question we have a real chance to light that Viking defense up with Bradford. Bradford has a gun that no other QB on this team has and the Vikings would have backed off. People say cut him??? I don't know how that makes any sense whatsoever if he takes a pay cut. He's worlds better than what we have and better than who's coming out of college. After what I saw yesterday, I'd keep him without a pay cut. That's how bad Hill and Davis looked. No rookie QB is gonna come in and light anybody up.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I would've rather had Bradford out there yesterday with a torn ACL than what I witnessed. Another thing that concerns me... Norv Turner had a great game plan. Obviously he's got a couple big weapons in Peterson and Patterson to carry it out, but he took advantage of the Rams pass rush... by calling lots of draws and sweeps. I think this might be blue print as to how to combat our pass rush. You didn't seem them take many shots down the field at all. Quick passes, and then counter the Rams rush with draws.. Was an excellent game plan by Turner. They also had their blockers able to get outside on the edge and block. Rams weren't able to do that.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
It also seemed to me that our defense did not consistently get off their blocks.
I mean, once they were blocked, it was over.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
First and foremost, Vikings #1 goal was to test our QB's with pressure and would have made adjustments according to how we fared under those circumstances. They never had to make any real adjustments.

I can't say we kept everything short, we ran a ton of deep routes throughout the game. Several things affected where the ball ended up.

2) Hill didn't look comfortable, Davis has poor pocket awareness. We have to have great line play for either to succeed.

3) Schotty's overall playcalling was flat, generic, stagnant, and predictable. Schotty wasn't fooling anybody on a consistent basis yesterday. It was like we beleived we could just bull doze the Vikings on the ground despite constant extra men in the box. We did eventually open it up late in the game, which leads me to my next point.

4) I'm hoping it was just one game, but Hill and Davis had me thinking of Chase Keenum the whole second half. Hill moves like a 34 year old QB and there's little question his career is in its twilight. Not a bad option to hold down the fort for 2-3 games. It just goes to show how huge the Bradford injury was.

No question we have a real chance to light that Viking defense up with Bradford. Bradford has a gun that no other QB on this team has and the Vikings would have backed off. People say cut him??? I don't know how that makes any sense whatsoever if he takes a pay cut. He's worlds better than what we have and better than who's coming out of college. After what I saw yesterday, I'd keep him without a pay cut. That's how bad Hill and Davis looked. No rookie QB is gonna come in and light anybody up.
Good/Great QB's make coaches look good....Bad QB's.......

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

I especially agree with number 1 and 3. Those two things affected everything that happened on the O side of the ball yesterday. They were not ready to play football. They were not properly prepared or coached to begin the season. The D was a little rusty but they looked prepared. Huge difference in coaching quality between the DC and OC.

One thing that bothers me about Fisher is that a few weeks ago he was ready to let this team break camp early. That's how far off his assessment of this team was.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
This is a young team and I think it got rattled. They seem to feed off of momentum and every time the Rams offense started to have some it was killed by penalties or negative plays. I have to put some blame on the offensive coaching staff for that. The offense just did not look ready and sputtered from the start. The defense had some flashes but faltered in the second half. If this team gets down it is not built to stage a comeback with Hill or Davis at QB and Shotty as the OC....... next up...........Case Keenum.

Note: The Hill injury seems sketchy to me and I have been a supporter of Fisher. I still hold out hope for a competitive team but If the Rams cannot rebound against perceived to be weaker foes like Tampa and/or Dallas then it is probably a lost season.

Last edited: