What Happens to La’el Collins Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BadCompany

Rookie
Can Havenstein move inside? I've seen some reports say he is too tall to be a guard, but others say his lack of athleticism makes him vulnerable to speed rushes as a tackle. Which is it?

Because if we could somehow land Collins as our RT, and then have Havenstein as our right guard... Robinson and Saffold on the left side, camp battle or UFA for center... And a bunch of depth on the sidelines learning the trade...

Athos

Legend
If he's found to have no involvement what so ever, the Rams sure as hell better be hard after him. Offer him the max you can.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Havenstein won't play guard. Collins wants to be RT? That's great. Bring him in, let him compete w/Havenstein for the spot, and if he loses out, give him LG. Don't hand him a starting role, although I'd think he could earn one.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ather-of-brittney-mills--child-015159534.html

According to a report, a paternity test showed that LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins was not the father of Brittney Mills' child. Mills was shot and killed on April 24, and Collins was questioned by investigators in Baton Rouge. Collins also passed a polygraph test.
ESPN's Josina Anderson reported that news, via Collins' representatives. NFL Network's Albert Breer, citing Baton Rouge Police Department, confirmed the results of the paternity test.
Collins not being the father doesn't necessarily clear him of any wrongdoing, and the accuracy of polygraph tests have been debated for a while. The polygraph test was administered by an independent investigator in Mills' case, Anderson reported. But Collins, who has never been named a suspect in the case, continues to try to clear his name, which would mean NFL suitors would start officially lining up to sign the offensive tackle who was once considered a first-round lock.
Collins didn't get drafted at all. He left the draft in Chicago to answer questions by the authorities and submit to a paternity test, and NFL teams avoided avoided drafting him because of the uncertainty. Brenton Mills, the child that was born after Mills was killed, has died as well and the New Orleans Times-Picayune said the baby's death has also been ruled a homicide.
NFL teams have been proceeding slowly. There have been reports of interest from teams, rumors that NFL players have been trying to recruit Collins, and Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan said he had dinner with Collins. The Dallas Cowboys have a meeting planned with Collins, The Advocate in Baton Rouge said. The Advocate also said that "almost every" NFL team has contacted Collins.
Collins has already lost millions of dollars but he can sign with a team as an undrafted free agent, presumably after he is fully cleared by Baton Rouge authorities, albeit for a lot less money than he would have made as a first-round pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn shame we didn't take a flier on this guy.....I'm gonna keep saying that....guilty until proven...ehhh, y'all know the rest...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ather-of-brittney-mills--child-015159534.html

According to a report, a paternity test showed that LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins was not the father of Brittney Mills' child. Mills was shot and killed on April 24, and Collins was questioned by investigators in Baton Rouge. Collins also passed a polygraph test.
ESPN's Josina Anderson reported that news, via Collins' representatives. NFL Network's Albert Breer, citing Baton Rouge Police Department, confirmed the results of the paternity test.
Collins not being the father doesn't necessarily clear him of any wrongdoing, and the accuracy of polygraph tests have been debated for a while. The polygraph test was administered by an independent investigator in Mills' case, Anderson reported. But Collins, who has never been named a suspect in the case, continues to try to clear his name, which would mean NFL suitors would start officially lining up to sign the offensive tackle who was once considered a first-round lock.
Collins didn't get drafted at all. He left the draft in Chicago to answer questions by the authorities and submit to a paternity test, and NFL teams avoided avoided drafting him because of the uncertainty. Brenton Mills, the child that was born after Mills was killed, has died as well and the New Orleans Times-Picayune said the baby's death has also been ruled a homicide.
NFL teams have been proceeding slowly. There have been reports of interest from teams, rumors that NFL players have been trying to recruit Collins, and Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan said he had dinner with Collins. The Dallas Cowboys have a meeting planned with Collins, The Advocate in Baton Rouge said. The Advocate also said that "almost every" NFL team has contacted Collins.
Collins has already lost millions of dollars but he can sign with a team as an undrafted free agent, presumably after he is fully cleared by Baton Rouge authorities, albeit for a lot less money than he would have made as a first-round pick.
After reading this I say, " Go get him, PLEASE!"(y)

V3

Hall of Fame
Can Havenstein move inside? I've seen some reports say he is too tall to be a guard, but others say his lack of athleticism makes him vulnerable to speed rushes as a tackle. Which is it?

Because if we could somehow land Collins as our RT, and then have Havenstein as our right guard... Robinson and Saffold on the left side, camp battle or UFA for center... And a bunch of depth on the sidelines learning the trade...

It's both. That's why many people didn't have him as a 2nd round talent. He's probably the pick I liked least. I haven't seen video of him specifically facing a smaller speed rusher so I'm hoping the trend of big/slow/tall OLineman being poor against smaller speed rushers won't apply to him but I'm not going to lie. I'm worried about it.

V3

Hall of Fame
No, there's a max $$ for UDFAs. What you can offer him is a chance to start right away.
Someone on the radio said there's ways that teams can do incentives with UDFA's that would make it more appealing. They didn't go into specifics so I don't know.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this HC/GM were willing to throw away a 6th rounder on a gay player that had little to no chance of making the team last year(I guess for PR or something?) but wouldn't spend a 6th or 7th on a guy that hadn't even been accused of any wrongdoing yet. I just don't get it. If they're worried about the bad PR if he happened to be guilty, I'd argue Kroenke shitting on the fans of STL is worse PR than taking a flyer on a great talent.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
there's ways that teams can do incentives with UDFA's that would make it more appealing.
Guaranteed MONEY...They can give him a cool signing bonus, and guarantee his entire contract....but of course with udfa limitations on the total amount....the site spotrack or something should have the exact numbers....

found the site, and I'm assuming these numbers are what we can offer La'el

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/cap/

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No, there's a max $$ for UDFAs. What you can offer him is a chance to start right away.

Gosh for UDFA money (league minimum?) I would think the kid would go to a team like the Cowboys and sit behind their massive offensive line - that way his risk of injury is greatly reduced for that second contract whee he would be presumably paid more
- i would think a rookie player with a possible 12 year career would prefer to play it safe on a winning team (with a chance next year for the SB) than being a starter for the Rams at minimum wage with risk of serious injury

We don't stand a chance at signing the guy

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Gosh for UDFA money (league minimum?) I would think the kid would go to a team like the Cowboys and sit behind their massive offensive line - that way his risk of injury is greatly reduced for that second contract whee he would be presumably paid more
- i would think a rookie player with a possible 12 year career would prefer to play it safe on a winning team (with a chance next year for the SB) than being a starter for the Rams at minimum wage with risk of serious injury

We don't stand a chance at signing the guy
He wants to play, or else he'd just sit out a year and try to sign a regular FA contract (I think that's how it'd work). If he just sits for a couple years, then suddenly he's that one-time top prospect who hasn't played at the NFL level in two years. If he plays and plays well, he can work his way into a big contract; otherwise, think about it, what would someone pay for Barrett Jones in the open market right now? Or Jonathan Cooper?

In the NFL, unless you're top 10 (and your 5th-year option is picked up), you don't strike it rich off your rookie contract, you strike it rich off your 2nd contract. You earn your 2nd contract by dominating on the field. Nobody will pay big bucks for potential that's two years into an NFL career but has done nothing when they can get potential for less money in the draft.

No, Collins's smartest move will be to play somewhere he can start and make an impact on the field. He'd also be smart to demand a 2-year contract, making him at least a RFA in 2017 and able to be tendered contracts from other teams.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
We're the first team he's visiting and he's a Cowboys fan. If we get him, we'll have an even more ridiculous offensive line. We already have 3 pro-bowlers.

nighttrain

Legend
He wants to play, or else he'd just sit out a year and try to sign a regular FA contract (I think that's how it'd work). If he just sits for a couple years, then suddenly he's that one-time top prospect who hasn't played at the NFL level in two years. If he plays and plays well, he can work his way into a big contract; otherwise, think about it, what would someone pay for Barrett Jones in the open market right now? Or Jonathan Cooper?

In the NFL, unless you're top 10 (and your 5th-year option is picked up), you don't strike it rich off your rookie contract, you strike it rich off your 2nd contract. You earn your 2nd contract by dominating on the field. Nobody will pay big bucks for potential that's two years into an NFL career but has done nothing when they can get potential for less money in the draft.

No, Collins's smartest move will be to play somewhere he can start and make an impact on the field. He'd also be smart to demand a 2-year contract, making him at least a RFA in 2017 and able to be tendered contracts from other teams.
Nailed it!
train

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
We're the first team he's visiting and he's a Cowboys fan. If we get him, we'll have an even more ridiculous offensive line. We already have 3 pro-bowlers.
But will he actually play? Would he unseat Free or Leary?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I just think for a guy in his position - if you take the Cowboys gig, not only do you get to be part of that All Pro offensive line but you get a shot at a possible SuperBowl appearance - both of which are going to raise his stock astronomically - just look at all the love Martin gets around the country compared to Greg Robinson, and GRob is equal to if not better than Martin

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'm still not buying. This paternity result means nothing. He wouldn't have known either way. Someone murdered two people, and while he might not have been the trigger man, he hasn't acted like a man who knows absolutely zero either.