What happened to our Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think the biggest problem with Higbee is they are using him incorrectly. They have him blocking and running 5 yard routes. They need to be running the seam with him like that Pats do with Gronk. Maybe after Fisher gets canned we'll get a OC in here that knows what in the hell they are doing.

I agree with this.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Even with a few bad plays Higbee isn't close to replacing Kendricks or Harkey.

Thomas has been good on ST and might develop in another year or two. Cooper seems to be stronger and has a chance to replace Marquis.

Who was it that originally drafted Britt?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not expecting much out of rookie WRs and TEs from a production standpoint. Especially with Fisher running this team. I like the draft picks Fisher and Snead picked, it's just an issue with his inability to scheme offensive players to succeed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Higbee is 6'6", 250. How is that not NFL size?
For comparison, look at Ogletree, 6'3, 245 lbs....Not sure what size Kendricks is, or even Harkey, but those TE's are significantly more stout. If he's gonna be running 5-10 yard stop patterns, he needs to be prepared for the hits that come from running routes in front of safeties, that will be bearing down on him at full speed.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Not really surprised by Cooper's lack of contribution. I think everyone is surprised by how Britt is playing and I'm hoping that we'll see Tavon do more as a normal receiver like he did on Sunday with that TD. I know he's a 'gadget' player but you cannot tell me someone as shifty and fast as he is supposed to be cannot get separation as a normal receiver against the opposition's 2nd or 3rd CB.

I'd like to see Higbee become a Goff favourite because the use of the TE this season has been really inconsistent from one game to the next. One week Kendricks is heavily involved and then the next, its like he's been forgotten altogether.

My hope is that TA can be close to a Steve Smith 2.0. TA has the talk, his mouth never stops, needs to work on the hands but I think he has the desire or drive to be as good as he wants.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My hope is that TA can be close to a Steve Smith 2.0. TA has the talk, his mouth never stops, needs to work on the hands but I think he has the desire or drive to be as good as he wants.

Tavon won't be Steve Smith. He simply isn't that type of player. I think our best case scenario with him is DeSean Jackson or T.Y. Hilton.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
For comparison, look at Ogletree, 6'3, 245 lbs....Not sure what size Kendricks is, or even Harkey, but those TE's are significantly more stout. If he's gonna be running 5-10 yard stop patterns, he needs to be prepared for the hits that come from running routes in front of safeties, that will be bearing down on him at full speed.

Higbee is 6'6" 250lbs. Gronk is 6'6" 265lbs. Jimmy Graham is 6'7" 260lbs. Travis Kelce is 6'5" 260lbs. Tyler Eifert is 6'6", 250lbs. Zach Ertz is 6'5" 250lbs. etc etc

Higbee has NFL size, and he'll only develop the strength as time goes on. He's fine. How he's being utilized, however...

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The Rams draft didn't start until the 3rd round
Tennessee looks improved from the players they received though

Yeah - they ARE 6-6, with wins over the mighty Browns, Jags and Bears.:jerkoff:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Higbee has NFL size, and he'll only develop the strength as time goes on.
He does have NFL height...but he's playing at a WR-type weight & frame. And the type of patterns he runs, the hits he's taking...I'm actually glad he ISN'T targeted more. He used to be a wr....he still looks like a big one.

fearsomefour

Legend
Higbee is getting reps.
I agree, they need to let him attack the seem.
Rookie WR usually take time to develop.....read coverages, hot reads ect.
Defenses now are changing coverages up to or after the snap, it takes time.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
He does have NFL height...but he's playing at a WR-type weight & frame. And the type of patterns he runs, the hits he's taking...I'm actually glad he ISN'T targeted more. He used to be a wr....he still looks like a big one.

I just gave you several examples of pro-bowl level tight ends, not wide receivers, with similar physical stats to Higbee. The only WR I can think of with a body type comparable to those above is Kelvin Benjamin, who's close at 6'5" 240.

Higbee has the size you want in a TE. He just hasn't seen the field or otherwise, hasn't been utilized properly. I'd love to see him used in a Gronk role... but Gronk is an above average blocker.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee is 6'6" 250lbs. Gronk is 6'6" 265lbs. Jimmy Graham is 6'7" 260lbs. Travis Kelce is 6'5" 260lbs. Tyler Eifert is 6'6", 250lbs. Zach Ertz is 6'5" 250lbs. etc etc

Higbee has NFL size, and he'll only develop the strength as time goes on. He's fine. How he's being utilized, however...

People make the mistake of associating listed weights with actual weights. Teams don't update weights for most players. Thus, a lot of guys weights are from their rookie year or the Combine. It's much more likely that Higbee is around 250 than the other guys are.

I think it would do Higbee some good to bulk up a bit. I think 6'6" 260-265 would be a nice playing weight for him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Seeing as we went all in on Goff I think our picks were rather tasty - I honestly think Cooper, Spruce, Thomas and Higbee could have a place on this team - we just need to sort out our offensive scheme first - something's not "clicking" at the moment - I'm hoping that Goff settles his feet now and we see some sort of creativity coming from the Rams. I'm really happy with Britt's production to have 788 yards on our offense is fantastic - I'm urging him to go over 1000yards this year - now that IS something to smile about.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He's literally the same build as Tyler Eifert, one of the best pass-catching TEs in the game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's literally the same build as Tyler Eifert, one of the best pass-catching TEs in the game.
You can have the same built, but physically be nothing alike...Eifert seems to run more routes that are like receiver...And Tyler was ALWAYS a better pro prospect. And Tyler, with the similar build, is always injured.

I just gave you several examples of pro-bowl level tight ends, not wide receivers, with similar physical stats to Higbee. The only WR I can think of with a body type comparable to those above is Kelvin Benjamin, who's close at 6'5" 240.

Higbee has the size you want in a TE. He just hasn't seen the field
Yeah, you did...Of the pro-bowlers you listed, do any have a problem with drops? Any missed games with injuries like Eifert above?
Again, he's probably got the 2nd highest ceiling of all our drafted rookies. But coming from a small school, he's not physically able to perform as a TE on this level. Not yet.

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can have the same built, but physically be nothing alike...Eifert seems to run more routes that are like receiver...And Tyler was ALWAYS a better pro prospect. And Tyler, with the similar build, is always injured.

maybe because his (Tyler E's as opposed to THiggs) team offensive plan requires him to run routes like a receiver rather a three yard out or a 3 yard pattern into the flat or a 4 yard hook ....as long as he doesnt go past the first down marker routes that Fish and Co like them to run

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
maybe because his (Tyler E's as opposed to THiggs) team offensive plan requires him to run routes like a receiver rather a three yard out or a 3 yard pattern into the flat or a 4 yard hook ....as long as he doesnt go past the first down marker routes that Fish and Co like them to run
That's my point UK...he's built like a large wr, yet we have him blocking a bunch, and running patterns for LARGE TEs....The type of routes that will usually lead to a loud collision with a safety or LB....and do we really want Higbee doing that in his first year?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my point UK...he's built like a large wr, yet we have him blocking a bunch, and running patterns for LARGE TEs....The type of routes that will usually lead to a loud collision with a safety or LB....and do we really want Higbee doing that in his first year?
Totally agree

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yeah, you want the best out of a guy like Higbee, you want him running seam routes and hitting him with full steam ahead behind the LBs but in front of the safeties. A nice, loud collision between a 250-pound tight end and a safety is usually gonna work out pretty well for the TE.