What happened after the first drive?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Rams came out smoking against the the Bears and quickly moved down the field for a rare 1st drive TD. But then what happened?

The rest of the game they were ineffective, and seemed lost with no rhythm and no push in the run game. Its not as if the Bears suddenly stacked the box and blew things the Rams just stopped doing what they had success with in the first drive.

I know there was a huge shock with the Bears TD but did that suddenly change the game plan for the offense?

I just don't get it.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I think the loss was on Foles and Foles alone.
He was scared, and don't think it was spiders.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Good question to ask. Maybe our guys thought it was going to be an easy day after the first drive. Most coaches script the first few plays, so once Cignetti got through the first drive, his game plan did not take into affect Chicago's game-time adjustments. Whatever it was, is was a big poo-poo after the first drive. Untimely penalties didn't help matters early on either. Some calls were the result of last week's issue in Minnesota. I truly believe that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The script was used. They don't have a script for the rest of the game.
And if you'll recall, Foles wasn't really that instrumental in that first drive.

Full disclosure: I'm not a Foles hater. I would love nothing more than for him to be the guy we hoped he would be (the guy from 2013). Maybe it is simply just a case of him needing a break to get his mind right and watch the offense from the sidelines for a game or two. But at the same time, Keenum isn't a bad QB. Maybe all he needs is the opportunity to entrench himself as the starter and his confidence/play will skyrocket.

FRO

Legend
They got away from Gurley who was the star of that first dive. He is our best threat and needs to be used a lot in the run and pass.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Similar to the offense under Schottenheimer.

The one thing (ok ,maybe there was more than one but...) Shottenheimer did well was script the first weries.

IIRC, we scored quite a few times the first possession... only to fall into a deep slumber the rest of the game.

Seems Cignetti may be improving to Schottenheimer levels!!

(or maybe Fisher decided to let Cignetti script the first series for the first time... but NOTHING more than that, Frank!!!)

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It seemed like they just stopped doing the things that were working: attacking the middle of the field, using Gurley, and using misdirection. I don't understand it either

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the success of that 1st drive was predicated on play action. Problem is that at some point you need to be effective running the ball to pull the LB in and make play action effective.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
They don't have a script for the rest of the game
Cignetti claims he scripts for 1st half, 2nd half and situations, but is flexible about when to use them. Perhaps the Rams should hire Max Bialystock as an assistant coach to help review the scripts.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
It was all down hill after Greg Robison's penalty overturned the touchdown.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let's don't overthink this, fellas.

The Bears had watched the film on our previous games.

They felt their best chance was to commit to containing Gurley and force Foles to beat them. And it worked like a charm.

They were benefitted by some questionable plays by our D and a handful of calls by Triplette's crew, as well.

Once the snowball started rolling downhill, it was essentially over.

As an aside, I suspect that their review of coaches film on Monday stunned them by the multiple plays that Foles left on the field. Keenum can't possibly play any worse than that, can he?

I'm cautiously optimistic that Keenum can raise our passing game to at least mediocre. Lol.

maximus

Rookie
The Rams came out smoking against the the Bears and quickly moved down the field for a rare 1st drive TD. But then what happened?

The rest of the game they were ineffective, and seemed lost with no rhythm and no push in the run game. Its not as if the Bears suddenly stacked the box and blew things the Rams just stopped doing what they had success with in the first drive.

I know there was a huge shock with the Bears TD but did that suddenly change the game plan for the offense?

I just don't get it.

replacement-officials-report-full-time.jpg

This happened.

• 1st and 10 at CHI 17
    (7:32 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Austin left end for 17 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on SL-G.Robinson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at CHI 17 - No Play

• 1st and 10 at STL 20
    (0:03 - 1st) T.Austin right end pushed ob at SL 30 for 10 yards (C.Jones). PENALTY on SL-J.Brown, Illegal Blindside Block, 10 yards, enforced at SL 20 - No Play

• 2nd and 10 at STL 20
  • (6:51 - 2nd) N.Foles pass incomplete short right to T.Austin. PENALTY on SL-G.Robinson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SL 20 - No Play

• 3rd and 7 at STL 48
    (12:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) N.Foles pass short middle to T.Austin to CHI 40 for 12 yards (B.Callahan). PENALTY on SL-G.Robinson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SL 48 - No Play

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
replacement-officials-report-full-time.jpg

This happened.

• 1st and 10 at CHI 17
    (7:32 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Austin left end for 17 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on SL-G.Robinson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at CHI 17 - No Play

• 1st and 10 at STL 20
    (0:03 - 1st) T.Austin right end pushed ob at SL 30 for 10 yards (C.Jones). PENALTY on SL-J.Brown, Illegal Blindside Block, 10 yards, enforced at SL 20 - No Play

• 2nd and 10 at STL 20
  • (6:51 - 2nd) N.Foles pass incomplete short right to T.Austin. PENALTY on SL-G.Robinson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SL 20 - No Play

• 3rd and 7 at STL 48
    (12:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) N.Foles pass short middle to T.Austin to CHI 40 for 12 yards (B.Callahan). PENALTY on SL-G.Robinson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SL 48 - No Play
Yup... penalties aren't on the team, it's those big, bad refs playing favorites.

Man, I'm tired of blaming the refs... good teams overcome penalties... bad ones don't.

Guess which one the Rams are right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It was all down hill after Greg Robison's penalty overturned the touchdown.
Yeah, and Tavon's expression immediately after that was priceless.
"Seriously? Again? The fuck do I have to do to get TDs to count for me anymore?"

RamzFanz

Damnit
How to lose a game as the Rams:

12 touches for TG.
5 touches for TA.
Start Foles and keep him in the game when he's in full meltdown.
Penalties.

Double money back guaranteed loss.