What good are weapons if you dont attack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The Rams are playing to reactionary on both sides of the ball. What good are fast WRs if you dont use them to attack the D, dictate what happens on the field. The same can be said of the pass rush, what good is it if you play soft coverage and allow the opponent to pass underneath the coverage.

What I think the Rams need to do is attack on both sides of the ball, especially on D, they did this with good success last season. Force the QB to make quick decisions and throw into tight windows. When you allow him to throw anywhere in the first 10 yrds from los, you are conceding first down after first down. If the coverage is tight and the pass rush is coming fiercely the QB is more likely to make a bad decision or bad pass resulting in a turnover.

If the O attacks with some deep passes early and throughout the game, mixed with some screens, play action and obviously runs, the D will be forced to cover more than 5 yards deep across the field. I understand the pass pro has been terrible the past 2 weeks but it was pretty good the first 2 weeks, which allowed the hurry up to work. If the Rams can dictate with tempo and match ups there is no reason they shouldnt be able to move the ball almost at will, we saw this in spurts the first 2 weeks. It just seems they are allowing the D to force them into a short passing game with no run game, and with speed and size the Rams have at TE and WR they should be able to exploit the D with matchups. Quick slants to Cook or Quick should be unstoppable and should net a min of 7-9 yrds, and potentially much more with 1 broken tackle, if they send Givens deep and hit him a few times the safeties will have to play back which should help the run game. But the OL needs to attack the DL on run plays not allowing the D to blow them up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Agree totally. There's the difference between the 2012 Rams and the 2013 Rams. Last year we attacked the defense with deep shots to Givens to the point where he set an NFL record. On defense we attacked the offense to the tune of leading the league in sacks. Now we're kinda just sitting back on our heels on defense, and trying to incrementally pick our way down field on offense. I don't know what this change is all about, because everyone thought we'd continue with our aggressive ways leading into this season. And with more "talent", it was thought we would get even more productivity. At least on offense, anyway.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamBall said:
The Rams are playing to reactionary on both sides of the ball.

You had me with the first sentence!

Agree!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I would love to hear Mike Martz's thoughts on this offense.

joeybittick

Rookie
I agree. My biggest problem with this team is the lack of aggressiveness on defense. Somehow the team has managed 9 sacks despite the soft coverage prevent style defense. I just have to think that if they bumped the WR every once in awhile that would five the line enough time to knock a QB or two out of a game (Alex Smith, anyone?).

It has to be lack of trust in the safeties. Losing TJ isn't going to help that either. I think they have the CBs to harass the WRs (if Finnegan can get back on track, which I think he will), and I am hoping that they adjust with the long week. JAX is the kind of team they can get back on track with. Playing teams like SF, DAL, and ATL, I can almost understand why they wouldn't want to try anything too out there, they were just hoping to keep it close so that they could win a tight one at the end. It worked against AZ, almost worked against ATL (even though that one they didn't keep close, they just clawed back), and blew up in there face the last two games. But JAX is another story. They can build confidence in alternate plans of attack against a bad team. Right?...right?

Shit, i had another point to make but took too much time making my first point :oops:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
joeybittick said:
shyte, i had another point to make but took too much time making my first point :oops:

:lmao:

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
I agree so strongly on this...ATTACK...I posted this quote in another thread but it is so true for the rams on both sides of the ball............Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking(William Sprague)
Hang that up in both coordinators offices !!