What Giants fans are saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Excellent point. The Rams allow an average of 21.2 points per game, and that includes only allowing 12 in the last 3 (Raiders, skins, cards). Take those three out and the average jumps to 25.9, which is more than our D.
I see the Giants fan point above and raise him the point below. - The below is from JT's Brocker's article
Over their past eight games the Rams have collected 32 sacks, the highest in the NFL over that span. They’ve also allowed the second-fewest points (15.1), third-fewest rushing yards (79.4), and second-fewest touchdown passes (four) during that period.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The interceptions that the Rams dropped last week can't be counted on for Manning. Dude will throw up ducks without pressure.

At the same time, the Giants have a good pass rush that is going to expose the Rams o-line yet again and have Hill under pressure yet again.

This could be a TO fest for both sides.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
And what does the Giants' average jump to if you eliminate their best 3 games to make it a fair comparison?

For all the relevance that statement has to anything, you might as well compare the Rams' sacks in one game to the Giants' sacks all season.

Also, making up names for the random unnamed Giants fans is fun.
What they are arguing though is that our last 3 offenses have been really bad, apparently so bad that they skew our average. Hence throwing out those three.

A better counter argument would be to remind them that we held Denver to only 7 points. When they mention that Manning lost 2 of his best pass catchers, remind them that those pass catchers started the game and recommend that they pray Odell Beckham and Eli don't meet a similar fate.

Long story short, our defense is very good and this is the NFL. Any offense should be able to score at least a TD and it is quite a feat when they don't regardless of who that team is. Go Rams!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not a fantasy football guy. But I told a friend at work to pick up Tre Mason and start him. Giants are 29th in run defense. Mason could have a big day on them. If he does it will slow down the pass rush.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?55562-Fact-or-Fiction-How-dangerous-is-the-Rams-D-Line

Fact or Fiction: How dangerous is the Rams D-Line?
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...4-744ab3c95268

Excerpt: "The Rams have the best defensive line in the NFL.

JOHN SCHMEELK: Fiction - The way they are playing right now, maybe, but if you take the season-long performance as a guide, I will take the Lions, Bills, and maybe even the Cardinals. There is more to defensive line play than rushing the passer, and all three of those teams are better against the run than the Rams. This is not to downplay the Rams, who will be the biggest challenge for the Giants offensive line since the back-to-back matchups against the 49ers and Seahawks. They have dynamic pass rushers that will test how much progress this Giants offensive line has made the past two weeks.

DAN SALOMONE: Fiction - I think that season honor has to go to the Buffalo Bills. They have three linemen with at least 9.5 sacks and lead the league with 49 overall. They’re fourth in the NFL, allowing just 4.91 yards per play, and most recently held Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to 13 points last week in a winning effort.

The Giants will record five or more sacks on Sunday against St. Louis.

JOHN SCHMEELK: Fact - The Giants have been a sack machine these past three weeks, with seven or more in each game. The Rams have allowed 41 sacks this year, so the scenario is set where you can see the Giants continuing their recent success. Five is asking a lot, but I think the Giants just hit that number.

DAN SALOMONE: Fiction - I’m not saying the defense can’t have a dominant game, but I just think you’re going to see a concerted effort by the Rams to shut down the Giants’ pass rush, which has an incredible 22 sacks in the last three games. It’ll be the top priority for Jeff Fisher and company.

Odell Beckham Jr.’s rookie season has been more impressive than Victor Cruz’s breakout campaign in 2011.

JOHN SCHMEELK: Fiction -
The reason Cruz’s season was more impressive is because he extended it out over a 16-game season, while Beckham’s has been more condensed. It is a skill to carry good performances over long period of times, which is why I like Cruz’s breakout campaign better. Not to mention that it came during a Super Bowl championship season.

DAN SALOMONE: Fiction - I don’t want to take anything away from what Beckham is doing, but I’m going with Cruz. He came out of nowhere to spark a Super Bowl run, which was epitomized by the 99-yard touchdown in Week 16 against the Jets. And he was much more than that one play. Cruz broke Amani Toomer’s 2002 franchise record for most receiving yards in a season.

Eli Manning will surpass both 4,000 yards and 30 touchdowns.

JOHN SCHMEELK: Fact -
Both of these numbers will be close. The Rams provide a real challenge for the Giants passing game this week, but they should be able to do well against a struggling Eagles defense next week. I think an average of 205 yards and two touchdowns is realistic over the next two weeks.

DAN SALOMONE: Fact - We’ll start with the yards, where he needs to average 205 in the final two games. Manning has thrown for fewer than that total just three times this season, all coming before the bye week. Since then, he’s averaging 288 yards in the last seven games. The touchdowns could be the tight one. He needs four more and is averaging 1.9 per game."
----------
We get to see up close the draft pick I was begging for, Aaron Donald. Potential DROY. Good thing we hit a HR with ODB.

Donald has 39 tackles and 8 sacks on the year, most by any rookie, and he is a DT.
--------
More dangerous than ours.
---------
And yet they've lost 8 games
---------
At least they beat a winning team.
---------
I'm looking forward to this game. Recently our offense has looked as good as it has been all year. But they have played poor teams. These next 2 weeks will be a very good barometer where this team actually is.
--------
I'd go with that 3-game winning streak in the beginning of the season, but they're playing better again (against lesser opponents).
-------
http://www.giants.com/photos/photos...the-Rams/3e5dacd9-fc76-40af-95b6-f374f0afb453

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Too bad. You're going to get this and like it.
My premonition for this game has now been put on record.

BK68cRT.jpg

He looks like he was hanging out with Spicolli before the game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/12/19/7416617/ny-giants-st-louis-rams-weston-richburg-aaron-donald

Giants at Rams: Match-Up To Watch - Weston Richburg vs. Aaron Donald
By Raptor22 on Dec 19 2014

459723552.0.jpg

Aaron Donald - Christian Petersen/Getty Images

If Weston Richburg finds himself facing Aaron Donald, how will he fare?

On May 7th of 2014 there were essentially three camps among New York Giants' fans: Those who wanted the Giants to draft offensive lineman Zack Martin out of Notre Dame, those who wanted the Giants to draft tight end Eric Ebron out of North Carolina, and those who wanted the Giants to draft defensive tackle Aaron Donald out of Pittsburgh.

Of course, almost all of us were wrong and Jerry Reese selected Odell Beckham Jr. out of LSU.

Donald was selected by the St. Louis Rams with the very next pick.

Giants Have Made Progress On Offensive Line
As it turns out, there wasn't a wrong answer there. Odell Beckham has turned out to be an electrifying offensive weapon and the front-runner for Offensive Rookie Of The Year, while Aaron Donald has become a dangerous pass rusher and the front-runner for Defensive Rookie Of The Year.

In the second round the Giants addressed their offensive line with center Weston Richburg from Colorado State.

While Beckham is always a "Must Watch" on offense, if there is one single match-up to watch between the Giants and Rams, it is between the two highly-drafted rookie linemen. Though Pittsburgh and Colorado State never played each other while Donald and Richburg were in school, this won't be the first time the two have faced each other. Both players were on the North squad for the Senior Bowl, and faced each other in practices.

While it was only practice, both players generated a buzz, particularly when they faced off.

In a report from our own Mocking The Draft, Dan Kadar said:

Colorado State center Weston Richburg continued his strong week of practices with another standout showing on Wednesday. Richburg is lightning quick out of his snap stance and into his blocking stance. He uses that quickness to get leverage and make up for the power advantage defensive linemen have against him. He's been the only player who can block Donald this week.

Richburg's rookie year hasn't been nearly as sterling as Donald's. He gained a starting job, but it was as the left guard, not his natural center position. All season long Richburg has looked like exactly what he is: A talented rookie playing out of position. His athleticism and skill have been on display, but he has also gotten overwhelmed by bigger, stronger defensive tackles. But despite a few "rookie moments", his play has been trending upwards since being benched a few weeks ago.

Given how defensive linemen rotate, move around the front, stunt and twist, there is no way to tell how often the two rookies will line up across from each other. How the two units, the Giants offensive line and the Rams' defensive line, hold up as whole will go a long way to determining the outcome of Sunday's game.
----------
8 Sacks
This kid could end up at double digits as a DT. Man.
--------
Dunno, But
I love the player. I’m not trading Beckham for him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they both end up in Canton one day. Both are special and both like to work.
--------
I hope Aaron Donald doesn't get shut down.
The I told you so bandwagon will be in full effect.
---------
I think Aaron Donald is a monster. He will be a great DT for years to come but would I trade him for what Odell is doing? No. I would not.
--------
I think of all the players out there, Weston might do better against someone like Donald.
Being at guard has left Richburg woefully outsized by usually bigger defensive tackles. He gets outmuscled and outleveraged. Donald is a superhuman type player but the reason why Richburg was able to block him in Senior Bowl practices was the fact that they were the same size.

Richburg is quick. He’s got good footwork and can mirror well for an interior lineman. That’s why we drafted him. I don’t think Richburg will "dominate" Donald or anything like that…Donald will certainly get his. I do think that Richburg is capable of holding his own though. I think guys like Dontari Poe are the types that would eat Richburg’s lunch
--------
I thought this too
Donald’s "freak" ability is his speed. 4.63 40 for a "big butt" is ridiculous. He’s also quite strong, but I think Richburg matches up better against faster, smaller players than slower, giant players. I’m not saying that this is a matchup Richburg will win, but we might be pleasantly surprised.
--------
I will say this, though… With exception to maybe Dallas, (a game in which he didn’t even start) Aaron Donald has consistently had little to no problem with any guard or center he’s faced all year. I doubt that would change against a fellow rookie.

Who knows, though. Richburg could completely stonewall Donald and wreck his shot at DROY.
---------
other rookies to watch on our side besides AD?
3rd rd Tre Mason RB
6th rd E.J. Gaines CB
--------
A little worried Richberg
Seriously the best center prospect in the draft and it was said he would be able to handle line calls from day one. I just hope learning the guard position first doesn’t screw him up in the long run. They should have let him start at center by now. Hes supposed to be qucik and have good technique but please play the kid at his position next year. Usually dont go to bleacherreport often but they had this good article on this years centers and there are other rookie centers who are having success.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...how-overlooked-linemen-shaped-the-2014-season.

Seriously hope coaching doesnt screw up richberg because we need him to be that projected all-pro he was supposed to be.
--------
He had problems in pass protection in college
All you have to do is look at the game film of the New Mexico bowl and he had problems with the guy and speed rushers.

He seems to start slow at times.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Excerpt: "The Rams have the best defensive line in the NFL.

RamzFanz: Fact -
Right now, walking out on to the field healthy, they have the best D line in football.

The Giants will record five or more sacks on Sunday against St. Louis.

RamzFanz: Fiction -
3-4 maybe but, for Hill's faults, taking sacks isn't one of them. He has averaged what, less than 2 a game where Davis had almost 4?

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/12/...s-2014-week-16-five-things-to-watch-on-sunday

Giants at Rams 2014, Week 16: Five things to watch on Sunday
By Ed Valentine@Valentine_Ed on Dec 20 2014

usa-today-8270770.0.jpg

Can the Giants continue terrorizing opposing quarterbacks? - Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports

What to watch for on Sunday.

The New York Giants seek a third straight victory, and a little respect, Sunday when they travel to face the St. Louis Rams. Here are five things to watch during the game.

Battle of the defensive lines
The Giants have 22 sacks in the past three weeks. A revitalized Jason Pierre-Paul (9.5 for the season) leads the charge, along with second-year players Johnathan Hankins and Damontre Moore [film study], surprising undrafted rookie Kerry Wynn and rookie linebacker Devon Kennard. The Giants, missing a consistent pass rush most of the season, suddenly find themselves fifth in the league with 41 quarterback sacks.

The blitz-happy Rams have 36 sacks. Defensive end Robert Quinn has 10.5, rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald has 8 [Donald vs. Weston Richburg match-up] and defensive end Chris Long is back after missing most of the season.

Can the Giants continue to bring the heat? Can their offensive line handle the pressure from the Rams?

Rams' special teams
St. Louis punter Johnny Hekker is a former high school quarterback who has completed five-of-six passes on fake punts during his three-year NFL career. Two of those were this season, so the Giants will need to be on guard against that.

The Giants also have to be concerned about the Rams' return game. Kickoff returner Benny Cunningham is averaging 28.3 yards per return, and punt returner Tavon Austin gets 10.3 yards per return.

All Odell all the time
What can Odell Beckham accomplish this week? Well, here are a few of the franchise milestones within his reach with two games left in the season:

• Beckham (71) needs four receptions to surpass Jeremy Shockey (74 in 2002) for the most receptions by a Giants rookie in franchise history.
  • Beckham needs four touchdowns to surpass former Giants RB Bill Paschal (12) for most touchdowns by a rookie in team history. (1943).
  • Beckham needs five receiving touchdowns to record the most in franchise history. The franchise record is currently held by Homer Jones (13 in 1967).
  • Beckham needs nine receptions to join Steve Smith (107 in 2009),Victor Cruz (86 in 2012; 82 in 2011) and Amani Toomer (82 in 2002) as the only players in franchise history to record 80 receptions in a single season.
Weston Richburg vs. Aaron Donald
It should be a blast to watch the defensive tackle many Giants fans wanted do battle with the offensive lineman the Giants ended up getting. Donald is having the better rookie season, but there is every reason to believe Richburg will be a quality player for the Giants for a long time. Especially once they move him to center.

Eli's Numbers
Eli Manning is currently at 63.2 percent completions for the season, which would be a career-high. Barely. His previous best was 62.9 percent in 2010. Manning needs 410 yards for the third 4,000-yard passing season of his career. He has currently thrown 13 interceptions, which would be his lowest total since he threw 14 in 2009. His interception percentage of 2.5 is currently the second-lowest of his career, behind only his 2.1 percent mark in 2008. Manning needs seven touchdown passes over the final two games to surpass Dave Krieg for 13th place on the NFL's career touchdown passes list.
--------
Here is the 6th thing to watch for on Sunday:
donald.gif

---------
Robert Quinn the savage.
Rams whole defense scares me. If we’re still in the game, it’s cause Shaun Hill is playing like doodoo butter. That front 7 is gonna wreak havoc. Should be a good game though. I just wanna see Odell against Janoris Jenkins, who is severely underrated.

Love a good WR – CB battle.
---------
Maybe I could get you a Christmas present this year, a real QB. You would be in the playoffs with one. Of course, if we had the picks that you got for RGIII, we would be favored to win the SB. May no one get injured tomorrow!
---------
Brockers is another first round pick on that defensive line
and he might be the most important one. He doesn’t get the numbers, but he collapses the pocket and they play all over the line. He’s like a poor man’y Albert Haynesworth (when he was good). The shiny matchup might be the Donald vs. Richburg one, but the one that will likely be the one that gives the Giants the most fits is Brockers vs. Jerry.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
And what does the Giants' average jump to if you eliminate their best 3 games to make it a fair comparison?

For all the relevance that statement has to anything, you might as well compare the Rams' sacks in one game to the Giants' sacks all season.

Also, making up names for the random unnamed Giants fans is fun.

Wait, I can play, no no..Subtract the Rams 8 losses this year, their winning pct would then be 1.000...His ridiculous argument is why stats are so many times misleading or flat out bogus...If the Rams #s are better because of their shutouts and games like the 7 allowed to the Donkeys (all of which came after their slow start) does that perhaps tell you that is is not the same D we saw the first half of the year ?? What if I did it this way, take out the 3 games where they allowed the most points this season and figure out what the avg would be then..Since those games came before the appearance of the current Rams D, would that figure not be more representative of how you might expect the D to perform now...That clown is a tool...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://boards.giants.com/showthread...gainst-Rams-has-so-much-meaning-for-NY-Giants

Meaningless game against Rams has so much meaning for NY Giants
BY EBENEZER SAMUEL

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2052017

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin’s face was beet red.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie still remembers this vividly. It was three Sundays ago, moments after the Giants had collapsed against the Jacksonville Jaguars for their seventh straight loss, and an embattled Coughlin stood before a silent locker room.

“I know he was frustrated,” DRC recalls. “I know he was very hot. You can tell that Coughlin is very mad when he gets very red.”

On that Sunday, Coughlin had so many reasons to be mad. He’d come to Jacksonville expecting to break a losing streak, only to watch his Giants topple under the weight of self-inflicted wounds. So he unloaded on his team. The words weren’t any different, and the criticisms weren’t new, but Coughlin’s vigor and passion and frustration on that day were.

“Turnovers and penalties, he preaches about those day-in and day-out,” tight end Daniel Fells says. “He takes every loss hard, but I guess you could say that that one was a bit of a shock. He was very disgruntled. But I think we’ve heard his cry loud and clear.”

This is why Sunday afternoon’s meaningless game against the St. Louis Rams has so much meaning for the Giants, a club that’s still fighting to end a train wreck of a 2014 on a high. Big Blue will arrive at the Edward Jones Dome riding a modest two-game winning streak.

It’s far from an impressive streak, built by raiding the NFL’s basement (2-13 Titans and 3-11 Washington). But it could still play a key role in preserving Coughlin’s job and saving a few other jobs on the coaching staff.

This December run reminds management just how motivational Coughlin can be, and it’s strengthened the case for preserving all his key assistants. Embattled defensive coordinator Perry Fewell’s unit has allowed one TD the last two weeks, and first-year offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo keeps finding new ways to get Odell Beckham Jr. the ball. Even special teams coordinator Tom Quinn has stepped things up, coming off a game in which his second-half-opening onsides kick call helped spark the Giants to victory.

It’s all because players are performing. At a time when most other players on cellar-dwelling teams are dreaming of the Bahamas, the Giants are focusing more on the field, finally correcting the mistakes that fueled their seven-game skid.

“That hunger is still there,” says Fells, who remembers a far different situation when he suited up for the Rams in 2008 and 2009, when they won a total of three games. “I’ve been part of teams where winning wasn’t the priority. When you’re out of the playoffs, guys pack it in."

“Their offseason plans are set up, their vacation plans are booked. They don’t even think about Sunday. But here, everyone is focused on the win.”

So Beckham, rookie superstar, refuses to focus on the chase for the Rookie of the Year award and individual statistics, concentrating on honing his understanding of McAdoo’s offense. And running back Rashad Jennings, bum ankle and painful knee, keeps lobbying to get into the lineup.

And Rodgers-Cromartie admits he’ll never be fully healthy in 2014, and his battered body needs a full offseason of rest, then he plays every defensive snap possible on Sundays.

“Seeing him (Coughlin), whenever you have him just down and angry and disappointed in you, you’ve got to take that and make it better,” Rodgers-Cromartie says. “At the end of the day, we’re playing for each other, and we’re definitely playing for him.”
---------
I agree that coaching jobs might still be up for grabs. But as much as TC wants to win these last 2 games. That special teams call for an onside was a no brainer, heck we were kicking from their 35. Everybody would have done that. TC should have been furious over that Jacksonville loss. The defense should have been furious.

Everyone on the team wants to win the last 2 games. But if you don't have your mind made up by now at what has to be done and I really don't see what these last 2 games are going to show you. Improvement yes, new players getting experience but that's it. IMO
----------
sorry the game is meaningless. That is why I suggested play the starters 1st qt only and the subs the rest and see what we have for next year.

Most on the board think that is bad idea. They want to win the last 2 games.

What do they win.......you have won a case of nothing. zip nada just a worse draft pick.
--------
Just the same thing as last year winning meaningless games. Where were they when they counted.
---------
What you're suggesting would turn the last 2 regular season games into the equivalent of exhibition or pre season games. What you're suggesting would mean that Beckham would not be in the last 2 games after 1st qtr. He's one of the few reasons I look forward to watching the last 2 games this year, really.

I'm not going to even waste my time watching such games on TV at home, much less make the effort to go to the stadium, for games such as you suggest in late December. And I'm sure I'm not the only Giants fan that feels that way.

Not to mention that approach would embarrass Mara and Tisch even more than they already are about this season, as it would be seen as completely giving up even the pretense of fielding competitive games the last 2 weeks.

And do you honestly believe that drafting at #6 instead of #7 would make THAT much difference in what talent we had to choose from in the first round? Because that's pretty much what losing the last 2 games will mean to our draft spot this year.

Most on the board think your suggestion a bad idea because it IS a bad idea.

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
Rams whole defense scares me. If we’re still in the game, it’s cause Shaun Hill is playing like doodoo butter. That front 7 is gonna wreak havoc. Should be a good game though. I just wanna see Odell against Janoris Jenkins, who is severely underrated.

WTF is doodoo butter?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Meaningless game against Rams has so much meaning for NY Giants
How can a game be meaningless to a 6-8 team but have so much more meaning to a 5-9 team?

At least we still have a chance at avoiding a losing season.