What Falcons fans are saying before the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't know why any fan base of an opposing team, even on the road, would be worried about playing the Rams these days. But here you go...a cautious bunch of fans for the most part.
Defensive teams usually have the advantage versus offensive teams is all I got.

66 yard reception to Britt against the Patsies

They call "shots" every game
Yeah.... 1 minute left...stop and go...and corners around the league have stated they play the short stuff against us...so for :59 minutes...the original statement stood...until the 4th quarter, 4th down, desperation shot to a wide open Britt. Oh yeah, the game had been decided at that point.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Defensive teams usually have the advantage versus offensive teams is all I got.

Yeah.... 1 minute left...stop and go...and corners around the league have stated they play the short stuff against us...so for :59 minutes...the original statement stood...until the 4th quarter, 4th down, desperation shot to a wide open Britt. Oh yeah, the game had been decided at that point.

Come on man

They call PA shots in every game

Not enough for you? OK
Laugh if you want.

Point stands

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not enough for you? OK
Laugh if you want.

Point stands
Serious, I didn't WATCH the entire game....Listened to most of the second half on radio...WATCHED the first half...Besides the throw to Britt, when did we take a shot downfield when the game hung in the balance?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Serious, I didn't WATCH the entire game....Listened to most of the second half on radio...WATCHED the first half...Besides the throw to Britt, when did we take a shot downfield when the game hung in the balance?

They call PA shots in every game

Why aren't you posting booty?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why aren't you posting booty?
A part of me DIES when we lose to the Pats, 9ers, Cowboys, Cards, Vikings, and hawks...even booty fails to lift my...wait, somethings lifting...and I found a new site too....:LOL:(y);):cool:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
----------
Falcons are 4-22-2 playing the Rams in Anaheim and Los Angeles, 3-7 against the Rams in St.Louis. Just saying.... and if I counted right 0-11-2 at the Colosseum against the Rams
Just to put it all together. The Rams have their best Over-All Record, against any team they have ever played in the NFL against the Falcons, The Rams are 47-27-2 Life Time in Regular Season! 0-1 in Post Season. BUT!!! in our only game against them with Fisher as HC we lost 31-24 back in 2013!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4047832-for-the-old-school-falcon-fansla-rams-vs-falcons/

For the old school Falcon fans...LA Rams vs Falcons

I have been a Falcons fan since I was 4 years old when they came here in 1966. I remember watching the Falcons play the LA Rams when the Rams had those cool looking blue and white uniforms and they used to beat the beeejeeebies out of us every time. Those were the best uniforms the Rams have ever had by far IMHO. We were in our originals back then too and I love those uniforms too. Never understood how we were in the NFC West with them and the 49ers.

I can remember Roman Gabriel completing passes to Jack Snow while we had guys hanging off of him. He was good. And that D with Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, etc chasing Bob Berry, Cannonball Butler and Charmin' Harmon Wages all over the field. Great memories even if we did usually lose.

But my favorite memory is Tommy Nobis intercepting a pass and running it back for a touchdown and nearly throwing the ball out of the stadium lol. Tommy Nobis was a man! I really feel sorry for you guys that never got to see Nobis play. You really missed something special. Any HOF list that does not include Mr. Nobis is a bad list.

All that being said, I hope Matt Ryan hangs 50+ on them Sunday and we walk away with an easy win and a Bucs loss to the Aints.
--------
Brother you are giving way too much praise to those stinking Rams... J/K.
---------
Falcons used to mostly beat The Rams until Kurt Warner showed up. I started liking Falcons in 1993. Falcons ran all over them in 2005 playoff game.
---------
This was waaaaaaay before Kurt Warner got there. Lol he was probably in diapers in the late 1960s when the Rams were still in LA before they ever thought about moving to St Louis.
---------
Kurt Warner didn't show until the team was already in St. Louis. I mostly remember Vince Ferragamo and Jim Everrett as the Rams QB's in Los Angeles.
----------
That would be a good game the 99 Rams vs 16 Falcons. A shootout 4 sure. The Falcons were like the Browns and Jaguars until 1980.
----------
I've been a fan since the mid 70's, and really don't remember ever seeing Nobis play. However, I did see Claude Humphrey, Joel Williams and other Falcons defensive greats, take it to the Rams a few times. Yes, the Rams of the 70's and early 80's always seemed to beat the Falcons.

However, I recall (don't remember the exact year) being at a December game that was cold/rainy, and the Falcons were loosing with the clock winding down, and Bart drove the team to the Falcons 40 before hitting Alfred Jenkins on a long bomb and for the win. Most of the crowd had left or was leaving. I think I was 13 at the time.
--------
I was talking about the games I remember primarily from 1966 to the early 70s against the LA Rams. Loved those blue and white uniforms. On a side note....I met Joe Namath once. I asked him about Nobis and Humphrey. He said Humphrey chased you around and talked smack. Then he said when Nobis hit you, everything went dark.
----------
Best memory of Falcons vs LA Rams... A buddy and I were watching games at the local watering hole (this was before Sunday Ticket when you had to go to a sports bar with satellite to watch games), when a guy came in and told the bartender he has two tickets to the Rams Falcons game that afternoon but couldn't go and asked the bartender who might want the tix.

Bartender points to me and my buddy, and the guy asks us if we want the tickets for free. Two and a half hours later we pull into the LA Coliseum at halftime and watch the second half of the Falcons beating the Rams that day. Great memory!
---------
Rams & 9ners owned us when I was a kid in the 80s.
----------
Rams are 47-28-2 vs the Falcons.
----------
Yep, you knew it wasnt gonna be a good day when Rice and Montana took the field. Chris Everett, I mean Jim too. Anybody remember Eric Dickerson with the rams?
----------
hey,wasn't it the Rams that dropped either 56 or 59 points on us in one game back in the seventies or eighties?
---------
Yes. 59-0 in 1976.
----------
Had to bring that up - didn't you?

I would have to look it up - but I'll bet you they have shut us out more than any other team. I can remember so many freakin' games where they stomped us and we couldn't even score a field goal. I mean lots of times. Maybe my mind is exaggerating, but I swear it seemed like almost every year - we were getting shut out by them.

So yea - that was probably the worst one - they nearly scored a 60 burger on us and we flat-lined with a back up QB - I called him quick-loss Kimberly - ugh!
-----------
For those of us who 1st knew them as the LA Rams and grew up with our Falcons playing in the NFC West this Sunday's game has a different meaning. Growing up in ATL in the 70's and having to wait until 4 for the kickoff was just short of torture (the torture came watching the Rams routinely hand us our rear end). Back them the 72 hour rule was in effect and you were only sure that road games would be televised.

When the NFL announced that the Rams were moving back to LA I saw that they were on our schedule and immediately made plans to attend. Flying out Sat. morning to represent at the LA Coliseum.
--------
Didn't Erik Dickerson used to run all over us back in the day? Haha I remember all the kids in pee wee football I played w back then in their Dickerson goggles.
---------
Oh yea, I remember those teams from the early 70s too, guys like Hacksaw Reynolds. Merlin Olsen Deacon Jones, even had Joe Namath at QB for a year.
----------
My last game at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was against the Rams. Chris Miller threw for 3 TDs as the Falcons build a 31-0 lead through 3 quarters. The Rams picked up 14 junk time 4th quarter points as Billy Joe Tolliver played QB for the Falcons for most of the 4th quarter.
---------
http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/to...-score-multiple-td-on-falcons-and-blow-us-up/

Rams are going to score multiple TD on Falcons and blow us up

Had to start that... Since last week someone started thread which I didn't like ....

We had similar thread before Chargers ...
--------
How do you score a "multiple TD"?
--------
Hey... we started threads like this before the Packers, Bucs, and Cards games. Those seemed to work.

Real talk, I bet Goff goes for 16/20 195 yards, 3 TD's. Does that sound familiar? That's what Geno Smith did to us week 5 of the 2013 season. That night was one of the worst nights I've had as an Atlanta sports fan. Falcons lost, Julio went down, and the Braves completely blew game 4 of the NLDS.
---------
Probably garbage points and yards. Falcons defense usually plays with a big lead.
---------
no, our backs are against the playoff wall and the players know this--we blow 'em out 42 -17
---------
It honestly wouldn't shock me, bad offenses look at upcoming games against us like a coming home party and send off to the HOF.
---------
Even losing in the most embarrassing ways possible is not a surprise to me anymore.
--------
Seriously. I can't wait for the next improbable way to lose.
---------
As the game approaches, I'm just not feeling great about it. Doesn't sound like Sanu will play and I wonder how effective Julio would be. If Matthews plays, I hope we just run the ball the entire game.
---------
We will win by at least 13 points
--------
We do have a way of making rookie qbs look great against us lol. Our run D vs Gurlie
default_ph34r.png

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Rams are such a weirdly put together team that always seems out of synche. Shocked to see Fisher and Snead given extensions, even if artificially done so. That team needs a new direction.
This guy gets it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They have one of the nastiest defenses in the NFL. And when I say "nasty"... I mean dirty. Jeff Fisher has always coached a dirty brand of football. I always liked watching it... but not this week.

This is SO old, and unfair.

Their offense is straight garbage, but Atlanta is going to have to be ready for a lot of the same types of plays Kansas City ran: quick hitters, bubble screens, jet sweeps. They can't really go vertical on you so they do anything they can to get the ball to Austin on the perimeter and let him outrun you.

This guy hasn't been watching because Austin is getting nowhere near enough touches. Austin has just 19 carries all year. Last year he had 52.

Boras is fucking that up.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Falcons fans are full of doubt, their hopes get dashed every year it seems.. They've started the past few years really hot only to see the team flip and stop winning. This coming after a last minute playoff loss a few years ago that stunned everyone. I was actually at that game and already on the train headed out. Cant remember who it was, but I remember the day because my GF at the time put a picture of me in a Matt Ryan jersey on Facebook and I was really upset at her for outing me like that. Anyway...the train was slap full of Falcon fans and everyone was hootin and hollerin about the supposed victory, but someone had a radio and there was still 50 seconds left in the game.....might have been the Packers...and the resulting stunned silence that ensued was pretty memorable.

Wait till the next time I see you!

A Matt Ryan jersey you say? :boxing:

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Haven't heard the name Tommy Nobis in forever...This guy was an absolute animal...One of the worst things I can think of would be to get caught as the middle of a Butkus- Nobis sandwich...OUCH !!!

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
A part of me DIES when we lose to the Pats, 9ers, Cowboys, Cards, Vikings, and hawks...even booty fails to lift my...wait, somethings lifting...and I found a new site too....:LOL:(y);):cool:
I wasn't sure if I should be sad, laughing or simply agreeing with everything said there :)

MountainRam

Rookie
No excuses but if Jake Mattthews, Julio Jones and Sanu played, Falcons would have won this game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great memories even if we did usually lose.
Seriously....we beat teams like the Falcons & Saints so bad in the past...man, I felt Sorry for Archie Manning & Steve Bartkowski.....truly devastating defensive teams. If you look at their histories, Falcons have had pockets of success. gritz blitz...dirty birds...then the mike vick experience....never won a SB though.

Ryan is a winner...Loved him in college...BC I think

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/12/10/13882566/stats-preview-falcons-rams-2016-by-the-numbers

By the Numbers Stats Preview: Falcons at Rams
In this epic west coast battle of NFL juggernauts, who has the statistical advantage on offense and defense?
by Kevin Knight

627687426.0.jpeg

Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

The Atlanta Falcons (7-5) take on the Los Angeles Rams (4-8) on Sunday in their last west coast trip of the season. Atlanta is coming off a tough, one-point loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Rams are fresh off a mauling by the New England Patriots.

As you can infer from the record, these are two teams on opposite ends of the spectrum. Atlanta is one of the top offenses in the league and is currently leading their division. Los Angeles is floundering, having given up back-to-back big games on defense and doing almost nothing on offense.

From the eye test, this game appears very one-sided. What do the numbers say?

Offense
Points/game: Falcons 32.2 (1st), Rams 15 (32nd)
Total Yards/game: Falcons 412.0 (3rd), Rams 284.0 (32nd)
Passing Yards/game: Falcons 302.0 (3rd), Rams 204.8 (29th)
Passing TDs: Falcons 27 (3rd), Rams 13 (T-26th)
Rushing Yards/game: Falcons 110.0 (9th), Rams 79.2 (30th)
Rushing TDs: Falcons 14 (T-3rd), Rams 5 (T-27th)
Third Down Efficiency: Falcons 41% (13th), Rams 32% (32nd)
Turnover Margin: Falcons +3 (T-11th), Rams -6 (T-26th)

Atlanta is still atop the league in scoring with 32.2 points/game, and are 3rd in total yards, passing yards, and passing TDs. The rushing attack has been emphasized more in recent weeks, and the Falcons have moved up to 9th in rushing yards and 3rd in rushing TDs. They’re also above average on third down (13th) and in turnover margin (T-11th).

The Rams are, quite literally, the worst offense in the NFL. They average less than half the points per game of Atlanta (15 per game, 32nd), and less than 300 yards/game overall (284.0, 32nd). They are equally inept in passing (29th) and rushing (30th), and are worst in the league on third down, converting only 32% of their opportunities. Los Angeles has also been turnover prone, and are -6 on the year (T-26th).

Advantage: Falcons

Defense
Points/game: Falcons 27.6 (29th), Rams 21.8 (15th)
Total Yards/game: Falcons 381.7 (27th), Rams 345.0 (10th)
Passing Yards/game: Falcons 280.8 (32nd), Rams 231.0 (T-9th)
Passing TDs: Falcons 26 (T-30th), Rams 21 (T-18th)
Rushing Yards/game: Falcons 100.8 (15th), Rams 114.0 (21st)
Rushing TDs: Falcons 11 (T-21st), Rams 9 (T-11th)
Third Down Efficiency: Falcons 43% (26th), Rams 38% (8th)
Sacks: Falcons 25 (T-19th), Rams 22 (T-24th)

On defense, Atlanta is still among the worst in the league in most major stats. They’re 29th in points/game, 27th in total yards, and 32nd in passing yards. They’re better against the run: the Falcons are 15th in rushing yards and T-21st in rushing TDs. Atlanta has also improved markedly in the pass rushing department, as they have 25 sacks on the season (T-19th).

The Rams are a mostly average defense that have a few strong points. They’re 15th in scoring, 21st in rushing yards, and T-24th in sacks. But they’re also 10th in total yards, T-9th in passing yards, and 8th in third down efficiency. Yes, the Rams vaunted pass rush, with players like Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald, has less sacks than the Falcons thus far. Still, by the numbers, they’re a better defense than the Falcons, though that isn’t saying much.

Advantage: Rams

Let’s be honest here: the Rams are a deeply dysfunctional team with serious personnel and coaching issues. While they do play somewhat better at home, this is a team that is coming off two blowout losses. They’ve scored 20-or-more points in one of their last five games and have won only one home game all season.

Add to that the fact that they’ve been all but mathematically eliminated from the postseason and you get a recipe for a blowout, or at the very least, a disappointing performance. There are also rumors of discontent and a “toxic” relationship between the coaches and personnel. None of this looks good for Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, Atlanta is an offensive juggernaut that has been nearly unstoppable at times and has played very well on the road. The Falcons defense is exploitable by average or better offenses, but the Rams are far, far worse than average. Their offensive line, namely, is a huge liability, and the Falcons pass rush could be primed for a big game.

The status of Julio Jones and Jake Matthews will play in a role in just how dominant the Falcons might be in this game, but by both the eye test and the numbers, Atlanta should walk away with a comfortable win on Sunday.
----------
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/12/10/13890808/falcons-defense-rams-offense-2016-week-14

Falcons defense vs. Rams offense: who wins?
This is a matchup between two pretty lackluster groups, but someone has to come out on top, right? Right?
by Kyle W McClendon

180640672.0.jpeg

Last week the Falcons defense made Alex Smith and the Kansas City offense look like the Green Bay Packers in 2010 for a couple of drives, but they also showed signs of figuring some things out as the game went on. Ultimately, though, the defense looked like they have all season: inconsistent and somewhat clueless at times. Luckily, things get easier this week as they take on the Rams of Los Angeles—owners of the worst offense in the NFL.

Neither group really has a strength or an identity so there is very little possibility of predicting this matchup, I think. We’ll give it a shot anyway.

In the trenches
Pro Football Focus player ratings make things a little easier here because they are based on some form of quantifiable data, but this matchup is still not very solid. The Rams have one player along their offensive line that rates above a 75: Rob Havenstein has been hovering right around average for most of the year. Every other offensive lineman, however, is rated closer to 70 and have been a little below average on the season. Los Angeles is 30th in the league in rushing and have allowed 31 sacks on the season, so this is one of the worst offensive lines the Falcons will face all year.

In light of that, I think the Falcons have a chance to actually impact the line of scrimmage here. Grady Jarrett should have one of his better games of 2016 and Dwight Freeney and VicBeasley should be able to impact rookie Jared Goff as they line up against Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstein.

An important note is that I really have struggled to put my faith in this defensive line on a regular basis because they have yet to perform well regularly, so I will give them the edge here even though I think it is smaller than some people initially think.

Advantage: Atlanta Falcons

Skill Positions
The Rams have the 29th ranked receiving group in terms of yards per catch (the NFL’s default measurement, apparently) and the 26th if we go by touchdowns. The highlight of this offense is Todd Gurley by a wide margin. However, there are a couple of guys with the potential to win some matchups against Robert Alford, Jalen Collins, and Brian Poole—namely, Kenny Britt.

I think Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, and the linebackers should have a better time against the L.A. group than they did last week against Kansas City. Lance Kendricks is no Travis Kelce so it seems likely that Neal has a better game, but Gurley is much better than a lot of other backs in the league, making him a candidate for the game no one ever sees coming against Atlanta. I think the Falcons hold the edge here, but there is always potential for any team to take advantage of Atlanta’s defensive deficiencies—especially with injuries being such an issue for Atlanta.

Conclusion
The Falcons hold the edge here mostly because of who they are playing and how much the Rams have struggled on offense this year. Atlanta is a very inconsistent group that can make even the worst offense in the NFL look like an above-average unit, so I’m not entirely confident in their ability against Jeff Fisher’s Rams.

Despite my lack of incredible confidence in Atlanta’s defense, I’m even less confident in the Los Angeles offense. This game will come down to the line of scrimmage and which team can impact the other in the trenches. I think Atlanta has a chance to win that matchup, so I’ll give them the edge in the game. I don’t think it will be pretty, though.

----------
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/1...beasley-aaron-donald-matt-ryan-taylor-gabriel

Falcons - Rams: 3 matchups that matter
by Dave Choate

180648316.0.jpeg

Normally, Julio Jones would make the list of top three matchups, because he is a nightmare in cleats and there are few mortals who can stand against him. Injured and questionable in this one, though, Julio cannot be an automatic pick. We’re left to consider what this offense will look like without him.

What makes this game more interesting than it should be is all the injuries on Atlanta’s side, frankly. No Adrian Clayborn, no Desmond Trufant, no Mohamed Sanu, and potentially no Jake Matthews or Julio puts the Falcons in somewhat of a hole, missing key players on both sides of the ball against a team laying at home and backed into a corner. While I do think Atlanta will win, this adds some intrigue to the matchup, and makes me warier than I’d like to be.

With that in mind, here are three matchups that should matter in this one.

Aaron Donald versus Chris Chester
This has the potential to be a major problem for Atlanta. Donald is a world-beater, one of those rare defensive tackles who can absolutely destroy interior offensive linemen and make a quarterback’s life miserable. While Chester won’t be the only one dealing with him, Donald does to line up on his side.

While Chester is not a major liability, it is true that he is no great asset in pass protection on his best of days, and a day spent facing Aaron Donald is nobody’s idea of a “best day.” With six sacks already this year and 26 over his three NFL seasons, Donald can and will get after Ryan, and if Ryan’s missing his top two receiving options, that could be hugely problematic.

The Falcons are going to need to hope Chester and company are up to the task of protecting their quarterback, and they’re going to need to give Ryan the option to dump the ball if (or when) he has pressure in his face.

Taylor Gabriel versus the poor sap who has to cover him
The Rams do not have terrible cornerbacks, but they also don’t have great ones, and they certainly don’t have the kind of cornerbacks who can keep up in a footrace with Taylor Gabriel. That’s one silver lining on a day where the Falcons are going to have to be creative to deal with the loss of Sanu and potential loss (or at least limitation) with Julio. Justin Hardy and Aldrick Robinson will have to step up, but it’s Gabriel who has the potential to break things open.

The obvious problem for Gabriel is that he’s going to be facing a better caliber of cornerback than he typically does, since he could very well be the #1 or #2 option in the passing game. A matchup against Trumaine Johnson would not be insurmountable, but Johnson is not a slouch. It’ll make sense to get him the ball in space on quick hitters, and Aldrick Robinson should be able to carve out a larger role, but the Falcons will still be hopeful that they can take a couple of deep shots in Gabriel’s direction.

Vic Beasley versus Rob Havenstein
Beasley has annihilated his fair share of tackles in 2016, and we’ll hope that Havenstein is the latest man on the list.

Havenstein is not a bad player, per se, but he’s not a particularly great or quick-footed one just yet, and Beasley is good for a couple of plays a game where he just looks unblockable. Against tackles who can’t deal with his speed or maul him at the point of attack, Beasley can be downright nasty, and Jared Goff is not yet experience enough or good enough to consistently escape pressure.

Let’s hope this one gets ugly.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Much like New Orleans, the Falcons D is trash and they inevitably get into shootouts which is NOT the Rams' game. This would be a great week to find a running game.

Man I miss the Gurley we all know is still there.(I think that makes sense?)
Would make my day to see him break off bout a buck-fiddy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this one is going to look like a shootout for a while, maybe a half up to third quarter. The Falcons defense is really bad, and this is Goff's 3rd game so he should be more settled in plus it's at home.

But then of course the Falcons will pull away easily. Thinking something along the lines of 42-24 loss and Fisher in even hotter water as the fans boo the team leaving the field.

If there was ever a game Fisher needed to win for his own sake, it's this one.