What does McShay think about all this trade stuff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I'll tell you. Because I'm an
in.gif
sider.

Rams set up nicely

For new St. Louis general manager and new coach Jeff Fisher, this is a franchise-changing trade. If they handle their business correctly in the next three drafts the Rams will set themselves up for a decade of success.

The most successful teams in the NFL, [hil]those that are consistent playoff contenders, typically find three starters in each draft. St. Louis could now easily find at least nine starters over the next three drafts.[/hil] And with the rookie wage scale having cut the price of first-round picks nearly in half, the Rams can afford to pay six first-round picks over the next three drafts without suffering big veteran salary-cap casualties.

Assuming St. Louis does not engage in New England Patriots-style maneuvering with its glut of picks, you're talking about locking down nearly half of the starting lineup for the foreseeable future. Something will have to go terribly wrong for that not to happen.

As for this year, [hil]the Rams have to feel pretty good about their chances of getting Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon with the sixth pick.[/hil] The Minnesota Vikings are likely to select USC OT Matt Kalil at No. 3, and while Tannehill is a reach with the fourth pick the Browns could very well opt for Alabama RB Trent Richardson, who is one of the five elite talents (along with Kalil, Griffin, Andrew Luck and LSU CB Morris Claiborne) in this year's class.

Richardson and Claiborne will be heavily in the mix for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 5, which could very well leave Blackmon available to the Rams. His hands, route-running skills and physical style would give St. Louis QB Sam Bradford the true No. 1 target he has lacked during his first two years in the league.

[hil]If Blackmon comes off the board before St. Louis makes its first pick, the Rams should still be able to get the No. 2 offensive tackle on the board in Iowa's Riley Reiff.[/hil] That would be a nice consolation prize given the fact that Bradford was nicked up last season and had durability issues coming out of college.

Assuming Blackmon is the pick, though, the Rams can then target one of the top five cornerbacks on the board -- perhaps South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore, or North Alabama's Janoris Jenkins if character concerns drop him out of the first round -- and an offensive tackle such as Zebrie Sanders (Florida State), Bobby Massie (Mississippi) or Mitchell Schwartz (California) with those second-round picks.

The price was high for the Redskins and the rewards great for the Rams, and in the end this is a trade that could truly benefit both teams.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Would be happy with either Claiborne or Blackmon at #6. Have a feeling, given Fisher's MO, we take a shot on Jenkins with #39.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Jenkins won't drop that far. Talent-wise, he's a first rounder, and that'll make teams like the Patriots willing to gamble on him. Unless he does something stupid in the timespan between now and the draft, he's going to be a first round pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
Jenkins won't drop that far. Talent-wise, he's a first rounder, and that'll make teams like the Patriots willing to gamble on him. Unless he does something stupid in the timespan between now and the draft, he's going to be a first round pick.
You mean like Orson Charles getting a DUI? I'd stay away from Pacman 2. He's talented though, I'll give him that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
Memento said:
You mean like Orson Charles getting a DUI? I'd stay away from Pacman 2. He's talented though, I'll give him that.

I'd stay away from Jenkins too, but Pacman did much worse during his time at West Virginia. All Jenkins ever did was smoke weed (which, granted, is a bad thing to do when you're an NFL prospect), and he hasn't been in trouble since he got kicked out of Florida.

And Orson Charles is a total moron. He already bombed his Combine, but he just had to make it worse by getting in trouble. I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the seventh round.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
DR RAM said:
Memento said:

I'd stay away from Jenkins too, but Pacman did much worse during his time at West Virginia. All Jenkins ever did was smoke weed (which, granted, is a bad thing to do when you're an NFL prospect), and he hasn't been in trouble since he got kicked out of Florida.

And Orson Charles is a total moron. He already bombed his Combine, but he just had to make it worse by getting in trouble. I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the seventh round.
He was arrested three times in a two-year span. In June 2009, Jenkins was arrested for fighting and fleeing police. Two arrests for marijuana possession in three months in early 2011 led to his dismissal from the Florida team.
CopWithWeed.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rorhRUyprBA[/youtube]