What does Mathieu think about the Rams??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

markstewart67

Rookie
Mathieu: Why don't Rams win Super Bowl every year?
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg

• Tyrann Mathieu looks at his division rivals in St. Louis and wonders why they aren't better.

"You look at those guys' roster, I don't know how these guys don't win the Super Bowl every year," Mathieu told Mike Florio Tuesday on ProFootballTalk Live.

Every game, all season

It's a fair question, but one with an easy answer. Kellen Clemensstarted the majority of games for the team at quarterback in 2013.Shaun Hill and Austin Davis split starts at quarterback in 2014. Former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's gameplans and the team's rotating cast of midlevel starting wideouts also didn't help.

Those explanations apply to previous versions of the Rams. This version has fewer excuses following the trade for Nick Foles, the change at offensive coordinator, and years for general manager Les Snead to fix the offensive side of the ball.

When Mathieu talks talent, he's speaking about the outrageous amount of defensive riches: Aaron Donald, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Alec Ogletree, and an underrated secondary form one of the most talented groups in the league. If not the most talented.

Early this season, the Rams offense hasn't shown much improvement. They scored 16 points combined against Washington and Pittsburgh, two teams that won't get comparisons to the '85 Bearson defense.

It's far too early to make any judgements about these Rams. But this Sunday's game in Arizona is a big one for them, and this is a big season for Snead and coach Jeff Fisher. Mathieu might not be the only one wondering why the team doesn't win more games if they can't get to the playoffs this season.

ram007

Starter
I am coming out of hibernation from self imposed ban to help this Rams team -

Remember Arians said Rams are "always 8-8 team" remark? Now, Old Fox Arians is sending out his most charming player on the team on a positive PR Blitz to take the edge off from Rams players.

If you are a Rams player and reading this topic, ignore Mathieu. Go smash the cards this week.

A55VA6

Legend
Mathieu sees the potential in our team.. but for whatever reason we can't put it together offensively.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Even though I agree with Mathieu I hate seeing anyone other than fellow fans bashing my team. Fish is gonna use the F out of that too, and who knows maybe the Rams receivers will finish their routes on Sunday.

Oh and also... Here's hoping Tyrann gets "Gurley'd" when Todd trucks him on his way to the endzone on one of several 40+ yard runs.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I'm not saying we should be Super Bowl contenders every year--I mean that'd be amazing--but we have too much talent on this team and quite frankly we've been underperforming...immensely. Until they show otherwise, on a consistent basis, it's hard for me to believe that we've really improved at all, at least offensively speaking. But even the D has not played up to the standards that they should be and to me it boils down to coaching. After the Seattle game I had a renewed faith in this team but after the past two weeks they have some serious work to do to prove to us fans that they're what we thought they'd be this year. I wish I wasn't typing this...

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I don't know if he's being sincere or sarcastic ? Either way it's a ridiculous statement. There's this notion I keep getting from media, fans and now a player, that the Rams haven't been living up to expectations for years and I don't get it. When were the Rams realistic super bowl contenders ? In Fishers first year ? No. His second ? No. Even last year there was hope of a possible playoff run but that went down the drain when we lost our starting QB. Few if any teams in this league can overcome losing their starting QB, Including the Cardinals. And it remains to be seen what they will accomplish this year, so I don't get what the hell Mathieu and others in the media are freaking talking about.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Its gonna Start and End with what we can get out of our BIG ASS OL. HEY we are so freaking Blessed that we have only has 2 OL miss just a couple (plays) this season. Normally its a pure blight that ravages our guys. So we have the Same five going into week Four and THE TIME IS NOW after facing two 3-4 defenses back to back and both were better than this one in my personal opinion. I think the skins with a better NT in Knighton and two better pass rushers that gave our guys fits. Not saying this cards bunch are lightweights. They are very solid but not as good if we would be facing Todd Bowles attacking "D" from last season that earned him a Head Coaching job with the Jets. How the Jets let the Eagles beat them with Bradfords 118 yards passing is beyond me. They threw 2 Ints. and #43(Sproles) got another PR.

I'd like to see Tavon get us another Punt return or at least focus on winning the field position game. Palmer goes down easier than Big Ben does as Ben has natural escapability where as Palmer won't risk it and will fold. I would LOVE to see 5 or MORE sacks against Palmer and he has a full crew of WR's he will spread the ball around too. We can't afford to double the old guy Fitzgerald . This week we jump a route AND WE MAKE THE INTERCEPTION CATCH. No drops this week on "O" or "D" . Wishing our boards major desire (WE'LL give (@-X-) credit) in getting Harkey back on the field as we say in the seattle game. Why not a Cunningham screen also as Cunningham should'nt be lost because Mason & now Gurley ARE HEALTHY !!!

Gurley and Mason are different style runners but we can't bounce from zone to power depending who is running. Lets go back to the Power Blocking System we Drafted For!!! It fits Havenstein so much better and he and the rest are getting better lil' by lil' in pass blocking after our bad game in DC. Nick as we knew before he got here is best on First Reads and after that its 50/50. Lets look downfield like the Britt 40 yard TD but lets also use our passing game as an extension of our run game. FIRST DOWNS ,FIRST DOWNS ,FIRST DOWNS!!! We don't have to take 3 plays to make 10 yards either. EXECUTE DAMMIT from OL to WR's RUNNING their Full routes even if thought to be a decoy. What if Tavon Austins DB tripped or fell down as in the seattle game? Tavon I'm sure caught Hell over his poor attempt to sell a fly route. We put up 34 against another rival and just because we only scored 6 last week we know we can score on a good field even if its loud. Its gonna be a war and both sides have many, many weapons and the DB's this week are as good as seattles one side was. So Nick needs accuracy on his reads and bring his balls down so as not to have any tipped balls for ints.

Not a must win but DO NOT EVEN DARE TO COUNT US OUT OF THIS GAME. Cards won't come close to their 40 point bragging rights on poor teams. Both teams will be in the 20's when this CLOSE GAME ENDS. NO INJURIES!!!