What does Houston do with the #1 pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What do you think Houston does with the first pick?

• Clowney

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Manziel

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Trade Down

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
With the report today that Houston is taking Clowney or Manziel at #1 unless they don't get a good enough trade down offer, what do you think happens?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think Atlanta will trade up and take Clowney (which I actually think is a mistake). Clowney going to Houston or St. Louis could do wonders for his career (both have good DL coaches and great leaders on the defense to keep him in-line). The Falcons will regret not staying there and taking either Robinson or Matthews (whoever falls to them).

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
All this speculation and in the end I really do think they want to trade down.

Draft day can't com soon enough.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, Atlanta should just stay put. I think Houston picks Clowney. They aren't a total mess so they don't need a ton of picks. I doubt they get enough for them to decide to trade down.

Muleman

UDFA
I think they will trade down with most likely Atlanta. They will take Mack or Manziel whom ever is there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Trade down is their priority IMO .....a team like the declining 9ers who have SIX draft selection in the first 3 rounds yes a boatload of draft picks ( http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-name#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:sf )

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on SportsCenter Friday that he's "heard more than twice" the 49ers could be "ready to do something big" in May's draft.

9ers are in great need to replace aging all pro DE Justin Smith age 35 (with Jadeveon Clowney) and the very troubled law breaking all pro LB'er Aldon Smith and the terrible knee destroying injury to all pro Lb'er Navorro Bowman ( with LB'er Khalil Mack) .LB'er Bowman is not expected back until well late into the season.

The 9ers have taken several losses in that front DL the last few seasons and Justin Smith has continued way past his prime to hold down that DL well, but he is 35 this season and even the great Merlin Olsen was in serious decline @ this age & retire. Currently they do not have a replacement for Justin on the roster.The 9ers would love to put DE Clowney & Aldon Smith on that right side to raise hell together. NASTY!

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think they will trade down with most likely Atlanta. They will take Mack or Manziel whom ever is there.

Hey Morning Muleman,

I thought this early on but now I really think that ATL is in great spot @ #6 to be in position for one of the 2 top OLT's or if LB'er Mack has a short fall without any cost to their draft pick stash.

Muleman

UDFA
Did the same as you on that thought. But since Atlanta's latest visit with Clowney, I think they have the fever and will make the move. I don't think the move will be block-buster, but reasonable. I don't think Houston really wants to make the first pick, so they will accept a reasonable trade offer. It won't happen till draft night as they will hold out for better but don't think they will get any better offers.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Trade down is their priority IMO .....a team like the declining 9ers who have SIX draft selection in the first 3 rounds yes a boatload of draft picks ( http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker/by-name#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:sf )

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on SportsCenter Friday that he's "heard more than twice" the 49ers could be "ready to do something big" in May's draft.

9ers are in great need to replace aging all pro DE Justin Smith age 35 (with Jadeveon Clowney) and the very troubled law breaking all pro LB'er Aldon Smith and the terrible knee destroying injury to all pro Lb'er Navorro Bowman ( with LB'er Khalil Mack) .LB'er Bowman is not expected back until well late into the season.

The 9ers have taken several losses in that front DL the last few seasons and Justin Smith has continued way past his prime to hold down that DL well, but he is 35 this season and even the great Merlin Olsen was in serious decline @ this age & retire. Currently they do not have a replacement for Justin on the roster.The 9ers would love to put DE Clowney & Aldon Smith on that right side to raise hell together. NASTY!
I would hate to see the whiners get Clowney!!!!!!!! All the more reason to get a stud OT in the draft, if there wasn't enough before!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
There's no way the Texans trade down to where the 9ners are. That's way too fucking low. I'd say they farthest they drop is to 6.

Honestly, what's in it for the Texans to move down the late 20s? I think most teams that aren't stupid would want to trade down a few spots, and still have a shot on a blue chip prospect.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Honestly, what's in it for the Texans to move down the late 20s?
One constant with the Texans since the beginning of draft talk for this 2014 draft has been the Texans desire to trade down to acquire multiple draft selections in a very rare deep draft. The opportunity to get a half dozen legitimate starters in one draft???. Most good teams do not base their drafts on just a acquiring just a Blue Chipper. The Texans could like QB Tom Savage as well as QB Blake Bortles then the 9ers late first round pick is perfect for them. I threw out the extreme 9er trade due to the amount of selections that the 9ers could bundle if they desired.

I would ask you did not Snead trade away the opportunity to get a blue chipper @ 1.2 in 2012 for a bundle of future unknown draft selections. Snead passed on blue chippers like MLB-Luke Kuechly, OLT Matt Kalil, DT Dontari Poe & Safety Mark Barrron all have already played in pro bowls. Kuechly is said to be the best LB'er in the NFL by many.

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Morning Muleman,

I thought this early on but now I really think that ATL is in great spot @ #6 to be in position for one of the 2 top OLT's or if LB'er Mack has a short fall without any cost to their draft pick stash.

Staying at #6 may be tricky. I've seen plenty of mock drafts that go like this:
1. Houston - Clowney
2. Rams - Robinson
3. Jax - Mack
4. Browns - Watkins
5. Oak - Matthews

If that happens, then the Falcons are stuck taking Lewan.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
One constant with the Texans since the beginning of draft talk for this 2014 draft has been the Texans desire to trade down to acquire multiple draft selections in a very rare deep draft. The opportunity to get a half dozen legitimate starters in one draft???. Most good teams do not base their drafts on just a acquiring just a Blue Chipper. The Texans could like QB Tom Savage as well as QB Blake Bortles then the 9ers late first round pick is perfect for them. I threw out the extreme 9er trade due to the amount of selections that the 9ers could bundle if they desired.

I would ask you did not Snead trade away the opportunity to get a blue chipper @ 1.2 in 2012 for a bundle of future unknown draft selections. Snead passed on blue chippers like MLB-Luke Kuechly, OLT Matt Kalil, DT Dontari Poe & Safety Mark Barrron all have already played in pro bowls. Kuechly is said to be the best LB'er in the NFL by many.

Snead traded the 1.2 for the 1.6, all those guys except Kalil were available to Snead at 1.6. He didn't get a bundle to trade down from 1.6 to 1.14, just the Cowboys 2nd rounder. Back in 2012, Fisher was in the process of turning over the roster, they had a ton of holes to fill, and one blue chip guy wasn't the answer.

The Texans are in a different situation. They have a lot more talent than the 2011 Rams. And I highly doubt they will get anything close to the haul the Rams got in 2012 for their #1 pick. Not saying they won't trade down, just that they aren't gonna get a bundle of high picks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Texans take Clowney they need him and roll the dice in round two that a QB will be available. Just don't see Bill O'Brien taking Manziel. Which sets up the Rams trading down with the Falcons, who will select Mack thus making Jake Matthews a St. Louis Ram and providing yours truly a new jersey to purchase. I have only purchased three over the years...Youngblood, Pace & Kurt Warner. I will purchase any QB jersey when he leads the Rams to a Super Bowl victory.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Texans take Clowney they need him and roll the dice in round two that a QB will be available. Just don't see Bill O'Brien taking Manziel. Which sets up the Rams trading down with the Falcons, who will select Mack thus making Jake Matthews a St. Louis Ram and providing yours truly a new jersey to purchase. I have only purchased three over the years...Youngblood, Pace & Kurt Warner. I will purchase any QB jersey when he leads the Rams to a Super Bowl victory.

I think that's very possible, den. If Atlanta doesn't trade up they may not even get one of the top 2 OTs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think that's very possible, den. If Atlanta doesn't trade up they may not even get one of the top 2 OTs.

Agreed, but the Falcons needs something because last season was a debacle they could not sack the QB and their secondary could not cover a bed. Trading up and selecting Mack will be a great move for them and hopefully it nets the Rams a 2nd this year and another early pick in 2015 which the Falcons can sell as the pick will be a higher pick than this season.