What do we need to do to get to the next level?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
From a pure X and O/ talent perspective I see two major issues.

1. Become stout against the run so you can get teams in long yardage situation mire often.

2. OL depth. The quickest way a season falls apart is a depleted OL.... happens to good teams all the time.

So to me those areas must be the focus above some other needs.

To remedy these situations, get a big run stuffing NT in FA. An experienced player that knows his role. Then maybe draft a prospect late for depth.

Then replace Barron in the base defense with a thumper and maybe there you can get away with some youth since you still have Littleton to fall back on.

As for OL, if a top 3 OT falls to late round 1, I would grab him... then if they can get another mid round pick after a trade down, add a C.

As for the rest... keep Joyner, Robie- Coleman, Watkins, Sullivan, .. maybe grab another vet interior OL for depth.

Other than that just develop your yiung talent.

Price OC from Ohio State, just torn his pec. So I'm hoping he falls to us in the 3rd Rd

Edit:
I agree w/ adding a vet NT in free agency, even if this means walking away from Watkins. Josh Reynolds should be ready for a bigger role or add a vertical threat for cheap during the second phase of free agency.
Also I hope we can add Todd Davis or Bowman to play ILB.
Then take the best player available either CB or Edge Rusher

yup what you said

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Easley did a good job on the field for us when he was actually on the field. So I recognize the dude can play. But I don't trust him. Genuinely hope they don't position themselves to rely on him.

I think a good portion of his health issue was playing out of position.

NT is different from a 3 technique which is why we don't see any sub-300lb NTs and we do see sub 300 lb 3 techs.

Having Easley back up Brockers would be perfect presuming he's truly back.

We just need an NT who's first and foremost a 2 gap pocket collapser. If he can penetrate a little on 1 gap assignments, then fine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree w/ adding a vet NT in free agency, even if this means walking away from Watkins.

Note that this draft is very deep at DL with a ton of big dudes who can move and stay on their feet. That plus the money already in the DL, not to mention AD getting paid soon makes me question whether they go after a nose in FA, even though some guys who can help us will be out there. The quality of the draft might even cause the FA prices to drop a little, I suppose, so wouldn't rule it out or anything just saying it's an element to consider.

Just in general and looking at money distribution by position, DL is extremely well paid. So is ILB, although that changes some if Barron is cut.

Need positions that are not well paid... CB (If Tru not signed). Safety (If Joyner not signed). WR (If Watkins not signed). TE.

Need positions that could absorb another guy getting paid... OL (Whit will be coming off in a year or two and 3 FA in 2019 offseason). OLB (If Barwin not signed & Quinn is cut/traded).

Positions where this draft looks pretty damn strong... CB (throughout), ILB (particularly early on), NT (throughout), OLB (early on, i.e. at 23, some potential high-end talent could fall to us), Interior OL (throughout). Lot of ways Snead can approach this thing, but I think the draft value is going to factor in to their approach.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Personally, I don't think anyone we draft is going to take us to the next level in 2018. 11-5 with the highest scoring team is plenty good. At number 23 impact players are probably gone.

If we're going to get to the next level we don't need to look for players to fill weaknesses. Its more that we need to improve on execution when the playoffs come around. We scored 13 points and gave up 26 against a battle tested team. We just need to be that battle tested team on both sides of the ball.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Run Defense must be greatly improved & is top of the list. Snead currently is paying serious $$$ for starting defensive players who proved to be weak in this skill. The absence of a true run stopping or plugging up NT was clearly evident. LB'ers Barron & Quinn were major players in contributing to this run defense weakness too. To a lesser degree our SS (JJ III) & our starting Strong side interior LB'er (Ogletree) are not best suited or skilled in these current assigned starting posts.

NT & DL:
Since the Rams will be paying big $$$ for both of the DL'ers that line up on each side of the NT(Donald/Brockers), I am not an advocate for spending more for a veteran starting NT, but instead going the draft route to secure a highly skilled NT for the economy price. I would resign reserve veteran NT Tyrunn Walker to work with first yr NT Omarius Bryant. Since Ethan Westbrook was originally the 5 tech DE starter when the season began I would use this veteran to back up Brockers along with Morgan Fox. Westbrooks is better against the run & Fox is the better pass rusher. So the reserves behind Brockers is now beefed up. 2nd yr DT Tanzel Smart will back up Donald.

ISLB'ers:
I would insert immediately Alec Ogletree into the weak-side interior starting post where Barron & Littleton started. This is by far the best position for our defensive captain to start & play. This will improve the performance coming from this post from last season. The strong side interior LB'ing post is now vacant. Neither Barron nor Littleton will be prospects for this starting post. I would sign a veteran well known hitter & run stopper to start in this vacant post. {Todd Davis/ Avery Williamson/ NaVorro Bowman/ Mychal Kendricks}. In addition I would use the draft to select an inside LB'er to provide good reserve prospects with Bryce Hager. I would return Cory Littleton back to his more natural playing position @ OLB'er. Mark Barron will be released due to ....save cap funds/ Health issues/ Poor fit.

OSLB'ers/ Edge Rushers:
The best run defenders @ OSLB'er last season were Barwin & Longacre. Both of these LB'er had injuries issues which hurt the run defense. Longacre was missed in the playoff gm. Snead has a large very young cadre of 34 D prospects {Ebukam/ Littleton/ Longacre/ Price/ Thompson/ Sickels} easily available for Wade. I expect improvement from this above cadre against the run. Veteran captain Barwin would be an easy low cost resign if desired. This 2018 draft is NOT a good 34 Defense OLB/ER draft. Due to this... the value of Rob Quinn is trending upward as an edge pass rusher. Snead might be able to get a decent bounty of draft selections for Quinn in open bidding yet from any needy 43 D team.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the experienced players on the Rams DL, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams draft a big D lineman.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ISLB'ers:
I would insert immediately Alec Ogletree into the weak-side interior starting post where Barron & Littleton started. This is by far the best position for our defensive captain to start & play. This will improve the performance coming from this post from last season. The strong side interior LB'ing post is now vacant. Neither Barron nor Littleton will be prospects for this starting post. I would sign a veteran well known hitter & run stopper to start in this vacant post. {Todd Davis/ Avery Williamson/ NaVorro Bowman/ Mychal Kendricks}. In addition I would use the draft to select an inside LB'er to provide good reserve prospects with Bryce Hager. I would return Cory Littleton back to his more natural playing position @ OLB'er. Mark Barron will be released due to ....save cap funds/ Health issues/ Poor fit.

ILB is a really interesting situation irt this draft and 23 overall in particular. There is a reasonable chance they will be lookin at guys like Evans & Vander Esch available on the board, so if Tru surprises by signing a fair deal or if they otherwise bring in a FA at corner as their CB2, all of a sudden ILB becomes much more likely at 23.

Also even though I think drafting a guy like Hughes would be ideal, I can see why the Rams might go in the other direction as that direction would result in a much more stout front seven vs the run while still affording what should be a good secondary.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the experienced players on the Rams DL, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams draft a big D lineman.
Afternoon bubbaramfan,

I really like our talent that we have at the 5 tech & 3 tech DL positions. Who are you projecting to be our starter @ NT?

I would not use the word BIG in describing most of the Ram DL'ers. But your right we do have a some amount of experience signed to our DL with Brockers 302 lbs 6 yrs, Donald 280 lbs 4yrs, Westbrooks 284 lbs 4 yrs, Fox 275 lbs 2 yrs, Smart 290lbs 1 yr & Bryant 315lbs 1 yr. None of which are a proven legit NT. Now Omarius Bryant does have the size to play NT but he was a DE in college though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ILB is a really interesting situation irt this draft and 23 overall in particular. There is a reasonable chance they will be lookin at guys like Evans & Vander Esch available on the board, so if Tru surprises by signing a fair deal or if they otherwise bring in a FA at corner as their CB2, all of a sudden ILB becomes much more likely at 23.

Also even though I think drafting a guy like Hughes would be ideal, I can see why the Rams might go in the other direction as that direction would result in a much more stout front seven vs the run while still affording what should be a good secondary.
Yes if the Rams did go get an ISLB'er with the 1st pick it would set this forum on fire, but it would not be bad ideal. There might be some excellent ISLB'ers talent starring at us @ #23.

I see where the 9ers who have Team Cap Space of $69 million have expressed great desires to signing Trumaine Johnson

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see where the 9ers who have Team Cap Space of $69 million have expressed great desires to signing Trumaine Johnson

Yeah those damn whiners. Don't forget the Browns either, with Williams as DC and familiarity with Tru.

But there is a chance what he is offered on the FA market is not too much greater, at least to the point where he'll consider staying with the devil he knows. Now that he doesn't have to draw the top wideout, the Rams ironically are a much nicer fit for him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
But there is a chance what he is offered on the FA market is not too much greater, at least to the point where he'll consider staying with the devil he knows. Now that he doesn't have to draw the top wideout, the Rams ironically are a much nicer fit for him.

Still, do you really believe he'll sign for less than Bashaud Breeland, Prince Amakumara or Talib for that matter ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still, do you really believe he'll sign for less than Bashaud Breeland, Prince Amakumara or Talib for that matter ?

No. But I think if the differential between what he's offered on the FA market and what the Rams are offering aren't too far apart, that maybe his desire to stay in LA (which is real IMO) will help a deal get done.

Extreme longshot, of course. Just admitting that it's possible.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bonifay- 4 guys I really like. If the Rams feel they need someone to play NT now, Tim Settle, 6'3"--335 with Brockers and Donald on either side of him, can start right now. Da'Ron Payne if Settle is gone by 23. One shoud lstill be there.

B.J. Hill 6'3" 321 or Kendrick Norton 6'3" 318 are both wide body run stuffers. One should still be there when the Rams get to the 3rd rd. Some good DT prospects in this class. I hope the Rams come away with one.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think Tru ends up signing w/ the hated Whiners. He's from NoCal. Were about to see if winning matters much to him. Or is he all about the mad cheddar

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would look as Trumaine Johnson will continue to draw major $$$$

I think Tru ends up signing w/ the hated Whiners. He's from NoCal. Were about to see if winning matters much to him. Or is he all about the mad cheddar

No. But I think if the differential between what he's offered on the FA market and what the Rams are offering aren't too far apart, that maybe his desire to stay in LA (which is real IMO) will help a deal get done.Extreme longshot, of course. Just admitting that it's possible.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7530/trumaine-johnson

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports the Jets have interest in free agent CBs Trumaine Johnson and Malcolm Butler.
New York has also been talking to Morris Claiborne but so far the two sides have been far apart in contract negotiations. The Jets may have reservations about Claiborne's long-term health after battling injuries the past several seasons. Money isn't an issue for the Jets—they have over $90 million in cap space—but Cimini expects Johnson and Butler will both be "highly coveted." Johnson, who is also drawing interest from the 49ers and Raiders, became expendable last week when the Rams acquired Marcus Peters from Kansas City.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...ets-future-could-hinge-on-cousins-sweepstakes

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports the 49ers are expected to be the Raiders' "main competition" for free agent CB Trumaine Johnson. Pauline reported the Raiders' interest on Tuesday. Walking from the Rams after the team acquired Kansas City's Marcus Peters, Johnson is the market's top corner.
http://www.draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-3

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports impending free agent CB Trumaine Johnson is the Raiders' "No. 1 target."
Johnson isn't going back to the Rams after they traded for Marcus Peters. 28-year-old Johnson will get his first bite at free agency after getting franchise-tagged each of the previous two seasons. He'll be the No. 1 corner on the market and should have a variety of suitors. The Raiders are planning to overhaul their cornerback room and have already cut David Amerson, with Sean Smith likely next on the chopping block. Johnson (6'2/213) is a prime press-man corner