What do we need to do to get to the next level?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bounced in round 1 was kinda disappointing, but not as painful as watching us never get there for 12 straight years. But now that we've achieved that first step of getting *into* the playoffs, what's it gonna take to advance? Seems like everything's there. Good QB, good RB, decent receivers, dominant front 4, decent linebackers, (now) a good secondary, dominant special teams.

Is it just a matter of McVay getting seasoned?
Do we need a world-beater TE?
Better linebackers?
Cheat?

For me, I think we need a world-beater at tight-end. I don't even care if he can block. I just want someone like Gronkowski that provides a constantly reliable outlet and who's a threat at all times. As near impossible as it is to get someone like Gronk, I think we at least have to either (a) upgrade, or (b) design a scheme that gets them way more heavily involved.

or cheat.

JRobinson

MiLB
Well, being the highest scoring offense in the league last year, I wouldn't say that TE is an immediate position of need or a position to UG. To me, its a thumper LB to help shore up the Run Defense. I also wouldn't be opposed of drafting a stud corner to pair with MP in the first round as a good ILB could be had in round 3 potentially. Either way, I believe that offense isn't as near as an issue as defense... who would have thought we'd be saying that after the past few seasons?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
giphy.gif

Hey -X-, I know of this great place with lots of mocks ...

http://www.ramsondemand.com/forums/nfl-draft-college-football.52/

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bounced in round 1 was kinda disappointing, but not as painful as watching us never get there for 12 straight years. But now that we've achieved that first step of getting *into* the playoffs, what's it gonna take to advance? Seems like everything's there. Good QB, good RB, decent receivers, dominant front 4, decent linebackers, (now) a good secondary, dominant special teams.

Better linebackers?
Cheat?

For me, I think we need a world-beater at tight-end. I don't even care if he can block. I just want someone like Gronkowski that provides a constantly reliable outlet and who's a threat at all times. As near impossible as it is to get someone like Gronk, I think we at least have to either (a) upgrade, or (b) design a scheme that gets them way more heavily involved.

or cheat.
Letting great players go somewhat earlier than other teams dump similar stars, isn't the Patriot way you are talking about...It's the other Patriot traditions you seek...
KPjcN1a.png

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
No turnovers in our opponents redzone would go a very long way.

Hopefully our current stable of TE's can become game changers... they are very young still... but I think they could become bigger producers with a little more time.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Our tight ends will be ok
Need help at DT, a big run stuffer would allow our linebackers to make more plays.

Resign NRC, resign Joyner.
Tag Watkins, pay 99

Draft a CB early .

Don't fumble in the playoffs

This team was was really good last year, just need to be ready for the bright lights.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
From a pure X and O/ talent perspective I see two major issues.

1. Become stout against the run so you can get teams in long yardage situation mire often.

2. OL depth. The quickest way a season falls apart is a depleted OL.... happens to good teams all the time.

So to me those areas must be the focus above some other needs.

To remedy these situations, get a big run stuffing NT in FA. An experienced player that knows his role. Then maybe draft a prospect late for depth.

Then replace Barron in the base defense with a thumper and maybe there you can get away with some youth since you still have Littleton to fall back on.

As for OL, if a top 3 OT falls to late round 1, I would grab him... then if they can get another mid round pick after a trade down, add a C.

As for the rest... keep Joyner, Robie- Coleman, Watkins, Sullivan, .. maybe grab another vet interior OL for depth.

Other than that just develop your yiung talent.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
judging by our one playoff game... run defense, limit turnovers (which we actually did a good job of all year)
this team is so fuckin close man FINALLY.. we're bout to take off. sit back and enjoy it fellas :cheers:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Better linebackers?
Cheat?

or cheat.
How about Tyler Eifert?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A terrific thread topic, X.

I’ll play...

A terrific TE like Gronk would of course be welcome, but I’m pretty bullish on our current youngsters so I’d prefer to develop them this year.

First, some generalities:

Our ST is solid. Just needs normal tweaking as roster turnover occurs.

Our O is really, really close. Sniffing distance, man.

Either extend Watkins, replace him with another FA, or roll with Reynolds/Thomas/Cooper. Do NOT tag Watkins. He hasn’t earned it.
Extend Sully for now to a 2 year extension.
Find our future Whit replacement this or next offseason.

That should be sufficient for the O for this offseason. I would devote all my remaining resources to the D except for O depth moves here and there.

Find a quality NT. I don’t care if it’s a FA or a draft pick, but this is a high priority move and would be a giant help to our back 8 in terms of run D.
I would trade (if even possible) or release Barron. Not a good Wade fit and far too costly.
Trade or release Quinn. He’s a shadow of his former self and far too costly.
Move Ogletree over to Barron’s old spot.
I’m on the fence re Barwin. I could go either keep or release and still change my mind several times a day.
Replacements for Quinn, Barron, and/or Barwin must come via draft or FA. Sufficient funds will have been saved due to the releases mentioned and be available. Littleton and/or Ebu might become surprise starters, so there is that.
Tru is a goner. Too costly and not a perfect fit in Wade’s D. Draft or FA for his replacement. Troy Hill looks promising, but we need to be sure.
Extend Joyner. No tag, don’t screw around with it, just extend him. He’s essential and he’s earned it.
Extend NRC.

If these moves should occur, and I think that they are doable this offseason, we will have an amazing D against both run and pass, win TOP battles, get more than our fair share of turnovers. In short, be an elite D. Actually, it will contain 3 legit elite players. A nightmare to gameplan against in the playoffs.

Plus the league leading O will be back with a terrific ST corps.

Hot Diggity Damn!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If i had to choose one thing, it would probably be a legit deep scoring threat. Maybe Watkins can be that for us next year.

But that's not what I think we need most to become a super bowl team. We need a little upgrade at CB (Peters will do nicely), a run killing ILB, and a NT to make Donald's and Brockers' jobs easier.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, we can agree or disagree on the LB situation and the TE situation, but ONE thing we all seem to agree on?

We need a stud NT!!!

Poe will be too expensive unless we trade Barron. It's a money thing.

I like Barron and noticed that if it weren't for him, we'd have gotten BADLY gashed a lot more often. Lots of times, he was the ONLY guy who was gonna make a play. If he misses, it's going for 30+ easy.

I just worry about Barron holding up at that spot healthwise. He's exceptional in run support when healthy.

Then again, maybe a stud NT fixes that. I dunno.

But we need a stud NT for a host of reasons.

I think we can all agree on that.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Play in the playoffs like it's just another regular season game. Last years roster was talented enough to win a super bowl and I'm sure this seasons roster will be as good if not better. As long as the players and coaches don't get a bad case of "stage freight" again, a super bowl should be right there for the taking

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need a few upgrades on defense (ILB, NT, and #2 CB), improved depth, retention of our key FAs, and some luck.

I think with some more seasoning Gerald Everett can be a damn good TE. He was separating from DBs as a rookie. Kid has all the athletic gifts.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Most of you are spot on. Four big items on my wish list:

1) More latitude for Goff to throw jump balls. I often saw that Goff threw to open receivers. However, at some point you need to trust them to win the one on one. I often saw Sammy running 1 on 1 and he wouldn't get a look from Goff.

2) A big run stuffing NT. Don't need to say more.

3) A pass rushing DE on passing downs. 2nd and 3rd and longs.

4) A center to backup and eventually replace Sully.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We need a few upgrades on defense (ILB, NT, and #2 CB), improved depth, retention of our key FAs, and some luck.

I think with some more seasoning Gerald Everett can be a damn good TE. He was separating from DBs as a rookie. Kid has all the athletic gifts.

I dunno why, but I have a feeling that Denver is gonna pay a decent, but reasonable amount for Bridgewater over Keenum and they are going to release Talib for the cap savings as there are some amazing RBs available and if Denver can get Bridgewater on the relative cheap, they may be able to take LeVeon Bell from the Steelers.

That would go a long way to helping Denver out.

I'm running this buy my really good friend who's as knowledgeable about the Broncos as many of us are about the Rams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Pass rushers and run stoppers. Don't care if they are a backer or a lineman. Need those dudes.

But...hey...

tumblr_n8al4lUz1f1s9xw57o2_500.gif

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would first analyze how Atlanta whipped our rear ends.

They ran it up our wazoo in the second half and we had nothing in our arsenal that could stop them.

We have to be able to stop the run while continuing to be able to stop the pass.

Losing Brockers in that game made it crystal clear that we need a stronger defensive line.

It seems to me that a true nose tackle would allow us to keep Brockers at 1 de position where he looked pretty good and of course Donald at the other.

That would force the RB outside where he could get picked up by the linebackers and safeties.

Both our linebackers and safeties looked wore out and ineffectual in the second half and couldn't stop the run.

I think our offense will take the usual step forward which would be expected of younger players getting more comfortable in the offense.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Offensively, we're good at getting chunks of yardage but became a bit stagnant in the Redzone. Better play-calling and execution needs to happen in that area. We kicked too many fgs.

Defensively, we need to do a better job stopping runs up the middle and guarding TEs/RBs in passing situations. Too many times I saw Barron and Tree run into each other on routes across the middle.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Either more proven pass rushing ability or shore up the run defense. Then you can lean one way or the other to get crucial stops.

Cap space unlikely to allow both through FA, which is why draft selections are so critical.