What do the Redskins do with Kirk Cousins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What would you do?

• Sign him. He's proven capable. QB's are hard to find.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • Franchise him. Buy another year to evaluate.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Let him walk if he gets an offer w/too much guaranteed. Draft a QB and find a FA.

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This article doesn't paste well, as it contains a lot of images that would not come over easily.

But it speaks to the challenge facing the Redskins with Kirk Cousins a Free Agent. What to do?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-avoid-long-term-investment-with-kirk-cousins

Did you see enough to sign him to a deal? I'll be honest, he looked good to me.

Or... Is he another Nick Foles type QB, who strung together a really good stretch?

Another option is to franchise him. Expensive for 1 season, but buys a little more evaluation time.

What to do?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Trade him to the Rams for a sixth round pick and Nick Foles!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I seriously doubt they use the franchise tag on him. The answer is they're going to sign him before he hits FA even if they need to pay him a little more than they want.

It's funny, but if you go back to the beginning of the season there were some former GM types like Pat Kirwan saying to sign him before the season to a short deal much like the Rams did with Foles, and in that case they were right. Of course that plan didn't work out so great for the Rams, but then again since you never know what's gonna happen with a QB it was not as bad a decision as they've been dragged through the mud in the media for. IMO Snead nailed it when he said they should have had an open competition. Had they done that, I doubt Foles would have won it since he still did not have a great grasp on the offense even after starting in it for half the season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Work out a CK type contract that will pay him IF he meets certain benchmarks. It is honestly the way I think most QB contracts should go. They can still get paid one of the highest salaries on the team as a base but in order to make top level money, they have to lead the team somewhere.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there's as much chance of Cousins leaving DC as there is Rodgers leaving Green Bay

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Skins will sign him to a long term deal and thank the Heavens that Mike Shanahan drafted him after the big trade for RGIII.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Work out a CK type contract that will pay him IF he meets certain benchmarks. It is honestly the way I think most QB contracts should go. They can still get paid one of the highest salaries on the team as a base but in order to make top level money, they have to lead the team somewhere.[/QUOT

Bingo

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Work out a CK type contract that will pay him IF he meets certain benchmarks. It is honestly the way I think most QB contracts should go. They can still get paid one of the highest salaries on the team as a base but in order to make top level money, they have to lead the team somewhere.

This is exactly how Qbs should get paid

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offer him a contract like the one Andy Dalton got. Try to get him re-signed before FA. If you can't, franchise him.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Unless Washington gets a different list of FA and draftable QB's than the rest of the league,Cousins has the hammer in this. It would kinda stupid of him to sign any contract for less than the guaranteed money than the franchise tag would give him for one year. Denver is the same situ with Osweiller.
It's just buisness.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Unless Washington gets a different list of FA and draftable QB's than the rest of the league,Cousins has the hammer in this. It would kinda stupid of him to sign any contract for less than the guaranteed money than the franchise tag would give him for one year. Denver is the same situ with Osweiller.
It's just buisness.
You're right - most definitely. Given the options - that is what I would try to do. At some point, I think it is going to head that way but I also think the CBA has to be changed to somehow allow for that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Interesting. :sneaky: