What did you observe (week 2)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
90% of the 1st team offensive failures this game were Rhaney and Washington. Rewatch and just watch those two. Rhaney played better, but still screwed up a lot. Washington was not good at all.

The runs that were blown up from behind? Yep. The incomplete passes and Foles throwing the ball away? Yep.

The other 10%? Tavon running rounded routes. Foles not seeing Cookie destroying the seam. Cunningham not seeing holes.

I do not think Rhaney is ready. At all. And Washington needs to be replaced.

Rainram

Starter
90% of the 1st team offensive failures this game were Rhaney and Washington. Rewatch and just watch those two. Rhaney played better, but still screwed up a lot. Washington was not good at all.

The runs that were blown up from behind? Yep. The incomplete passes and Foles throwing the ball away? Yep.

The other 10%? Tavon running rounded routes. Foles not seeing Cookie destroying the seam. Cunningham not seeing holes.

Yup...

Barnes will be with the ones. Rhaney isn't a bad backup though. LG depth (and overall OLine depth) is a bit rough.

My Stock Ticker would read something like this:

Tavon
Cunningham
Washington - buh-bye
Fairley
Westbrooks
All LBers - damn fellas...make a play somewhere.

Foles
GRob
Havenstein
Britt
Jenkins
Long

Cook
Quinn
Joyner
Bailey
Pead
Watts
Givens
Jamon Brown - I like him!

iced

GRob on some of those too - particularly on a zone run to the right where the RDE takes down the back

RamzFanz

Damnit
GRob on some of those too - particularly on a zone run to the right where the RDE takes down the back

I just rewatched Barnes. Unless Jones somehow explodes, it's all Barnes. On the two sacks game one? The only lineman still standing and holding his own where the line of scrimmage should have been. I didn't see him get beat once.

Yeah, I saw some mistakes by Grob too. Not horrible, but mistakes.

RamzFanz

Damnit
My Stock Ticker would read something like this:

Tavon
Cunningham
Washington - buh-bye
Fairley
Westbrooks
All LBers - damn fellas...make a play somewhere.

Foles
GRob
Havenstein
Britt
Jenkins
Long

Cook
Quinn
Joyner
Bailey
Pead
Watts
Givens
Jamon Brown - I like him!

I think Tavon is going to surprise a lot of people. They aren't showcasing him at all. He is truly the one case where you show nothing until game one. I think you have Britt too low and Givens too high. I could debate a few others but time will tell.

iced

I just rewatched Barnes. Unless Jones somehow explodes, it's all Barnes. On the two sacks game one? The only lineman still standing and holding his own where the line of scrimmage should have been. I didn't see him get beat once.

Yeah, I saw some mistakes by Grob too. Not horrible, but mistakes.

play I'm thinking of was a zone stretch where Washington and Grob hardly block anybody - and GRob's guy tackles cunningham for a loss or no gain

Ironically the only position on the line I'm not worried about is RG and RT. I expect mistakes from those guys, but I think they'll hold their own.

RamzFanz

Damnit
play I'm thinking of was a zone stretch where Washington and Grob hardly block anybody - and GRob's guy tackles cunningham for a loss or no gain

Ironically the only position on the line I'm not worried about is RG and RT. I expect mistakes from those guys, but I think they'll hold their own.

Yeah, I saw that play. GRob had two players coming in from the left, all he had to do was stand in their way for 1 second, and it looked like he lost balance and blocked no one.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Most of their problems stemmed from being beaten on both lines.
The DL has no anchor without Brockers in the lineup. Remove him and suddenly they're a fast DL with no lead in their asses vs the run game. What this means is they really should have drafted a backup for that role who has some oomph to him, or went that route in FA instead of ponying up for a slimmed down Fairley.

Back on Jun 13, 2015, I was ranting about my concerns on this very issue.
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-wise-to-look-ahead-to-2016-free-agency.37913/#post-574615

......"I really do not see a true back up to the NT Brockers post myself..........That's the biggest hole in our defense now! If Brockers were to miss many games this defense would not be the same by a wide margin"........

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I observed a ton of outside blitzes that didn't appear to put much pressure on the quarterback. That's probably my least favorite thing so far.

FRO

Legend
Not sure Tavon fits a power run offense. I think he needs to be in a hurry up spread system. I think he could make a killing in Philadelphia, but not here. I really wanted us to draft him. Hindsight being 20/20 we should have picked Hopkins and kept our second pick. I debated @Athos about picking Austin, it appears I was wrong and he was right. Our offense just can't support gadget players.

Bailey should be the main guy in the pass game. Runs great routes. Has great hands. I think he should be the primary guy.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yup. I'm really disappointed with what he's shown thus far. If he's another 3-4 year project I'm going to be pissed.

V3

Hall of Fame
Back on Jun 13, 2015, I was ranting about my concerns on this very issue.
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-wise-to-look-ahead-to-2016-free-agency.37913/#post-574615

......"I really do not see a true back up to the NT Brockers post myself..........That's the biggest hole in our defense now! If Brockers were to miss many games this defense would not be the same by a wide margin"........
And if the team still can't stop the run when Brockers gets back?

It's not just him being absent that's causing issues with the run D, IMO. Not by a long shot.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Offense is... Offensive.
Defensively, it looks like players are trying to make the big play or big hit instead of making the smart, sound play. Throwing a shoulder instead of wrapping up, swiping for the ball instead of going for the tackle. They are feeling themselves too much and believing the hype- except they haven't done shit to earn it.

iced

It's not just him being absent that's causing issues with the run D, IMO. Not by a long shot.

yea but it was a gigantic difference with Westbrooks playing his spot... i'm betting they wanted to see westbrooks more than anything

V3

Hall of Fame
yea but it was a gigantic difference with Westbrooks playing his spot... i'm betting they wanted to see westbrooks more than anything
Westbrooks certainly doesn't help things but I also saw every one of our LBs missing tackles or getting easily blocked, our DBs whiffing on tackles and also getting blocked, and the rest of the D line not doing much. The biggest thing, IMO, was just how horrible the tackling was for everyone. It was the exact same thing last year. I just don't think they do enough of it in TC.

Athos

Legend
Not sure Tavon fits a power run offense. I think he needs to be in a hurry up spread system. I think he could make a killing in Philadelphia, but not here. I really wanted us to draft him. Hindsight being 20/20 we should have picked Hopkins and kept our second pick. I debated @Athos about picking Austin, it appears I was wrong and he was right. Our offense just can't support gadget players.

Bailey should be the main guy in the pass game. Runs great routes. Has great hands. I think he should be the primary guy.

Hate to be right about it. Hopkins would be better in a power run game.

I hope Austin can still prove me wrong.

FRO

Legend
Hate to be right about it. Hopkins would be better in a power run game.

I hope Austin can still prove me wrong.
I was hoping Austin would be Welker/Amendola with 4.2 speed to go with it. He has the physical tools to run those quick pivot routes and make a killing. He has been a poor route runner. I think he could still be a successful football player, but I'm starting to think this isn't the team to get the most out of him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

They did have tackling problems all over the joint, no doubt. But the biggest single problem was the Rams getting handled on the interior of both lines IMO.

Brockers plays a near-NT type style in this defense to showcase Donald's speed and penetration. Not having him in there is a very, very big problem because there is nobody on this DL who can consistently tie up a couple blockers which means immediate doubles on Donald. Yeah, their gap discipline sucked, but had Brock been in there I would hope things would have looked better on the interior.

I gotta give it up to Bonifay on that, because it was the least of my concerns with all the other stuff going on this offseason. Brock has been a rock in this defense though, so at least we're not talking about a guy who has an injury tendency, but I do think that depth at that particular spot is a problem on the DL.

On the OL I really have my fingers crossed that Jones is gonna kill it in game 3. If he struggles early they need to pull him quick and get Barnes in there, because this offense needs to demonstrate some efficiency for their own sanity as well as ours.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Foles looked bad at times. But I'm willing to give him time to see if its just a case of transitioning to a different offense. I hope they weren't premature in giving him that extension.

The defense seems to have problems wrapping up ball carriers. Too many yards after contact.
That's because they a) don't allow tackling preseason any longer and b) don't practice it anyway. :mad: