What Can You Attribute the Rams Lack of Discipline To?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What can you attribute the Rams lack of discipline to? D’Marco Farr and Brad Thompson lay it at the feet of Jeff Fisher, which is the obvious answer. But they also point out that Seattle, New England and Indy were the most penalized teams in the NFL last year. Do they take the same amount of flak from their fans as the Rams do? D’Marco believes nobody would care about the penalties if the Rams were winning.

Listen to Rams Discipline Discussion

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If we could bounce back from the penalties it would not be an issue. It comes from the coaches. Good leaders instill their beliefs in there players and the players execute. Look at our HC and DC. I don't have a big issue with some of the penalties they commit but at some point they are going to have to overcome them. That is what good teams do, see Seattle and New England.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Our penalties are preventing us from winning, that's why.

True. It's on coaching, buck stops here and all that. It's his selected players with Snead, it's his assistant coaches doing the teaching, he's getting paid the big bucks. Price of leadership. He'd take credit for success.

However, flip side is one could make a strong argument that it's not the amount of penalties, it's the timing and severity. An aggressive encroachment on 1st down is what the Patriots get penalized for. Hitting a WR a full 2 seconds before the ball arrives on 3rd and 5 in the 4th quarter is what we get penalized for.

fearsomefour

Legend
There are various factors. The coach can only do so much. The players don't want penalties and the coaches don't.
A lot of the flags last year were just drive killers on offense. Most of the O line penalties last year come down to a lack of ability. Plain and simple. The O line was being beaten. Most of the penalties on D were penalties. Being young has something to do with it....being very aggressive has something to do with it. I for one do not buy the grand conspiracy against the Rams. Some teams, it appears, do get away with more. Nothing new there. The Rams are not singled out. They commit a lot of penalties.
The only thing that discourages me is the lack of holding calls vs the Rams D. Quinn was held constantly last year and I expect Donald to be mugged this year. At some point that stuff has to even out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
D’Marco believes nobody would care about the penalties if the Rams were winning.
post-36877-agree-to-disagree-gif-Anchorma-kFLi.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think Penalties, per-say, are really that huge a factor in Losing Football games.
Before You Laugh me off the Thread here's why.
Teams in the past, like the "Old Raiders" had Ton's of penalties! They just weren't the "Stupid kind" Like False starts, and Lining up Off-sides! those are the kind that "Kill Drive" and drive me nuts!
I think if we eliminate the "Stupid ones" the Rams can still Win with the other's! JMHO:shades:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
It seems over the past couple years most penalties come from our youth/inexperience. I think if we can control our emotions and just play football we will start eliminating penalties.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't know the Rams' numbers in terms of breaking down how many offensive vs defensive penalties are committed, but it's my opinion that the offensive penalties are the real killer when you look at the actual output and production in terms of the mostly underwhelming offenses we've had here under Fisher. False starts, offensive holding, illegal formation, illegal motion, offensive PI...these will absolutely kill an offense that quite frankly, isn't very productive in the first place.

Yeah the boneheaded personal stuff sucks sometimes, but i like an aggressive defense and with that comes physicality and intimidation etc...i'd like to see more discipline from our defensive guys in terms of jaw jacking, but i don't want to see them tone anything down as far as hitting.

Anyway, I'm still in the camp that says that the turnovers, points allowed from turnovers, points scored from creating turnovers, Team net turnover points is the biggest black eye that has consistently put this team behind the 8-ball and literally cost this team wins.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Does anyone know if Fisher's Titans teams were heavily penalized as well?

Debacled

Starter
Youth,

Well that and it seems the zebras have it out for the Rams sometimes. The Cowboys game last year comes to mind

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Ugh, the Cowboys game was some straight bullshit, even my Cowboys friend kept looking at me saying we were blatantly robbed numerous times.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The bottom line is, we're not good enough to overcome penalties on offense. It seems like first and goal at the 5 is almost an automatic false start. Then we run two yards. Pretty much takes the run play out of the equation at that point. Then it usually results in a field goal.

Or maybe we're moving the ball well and we have a nice gain to their 25 only to be wiped out by a holding penalty. Now we got 20 yards for a first down, which means we usually end up short, which usually results in a punt.

Or maybe we get a big stop on 3rd down, but a holding or illegal contact gives them a new set of downs.
Total amount of penalties isn't a true indicator. Its the timing of the penalty. And its how we respond to them. Obviously with losing records all three years of Fisher's tenure, they ain't responding very well.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
First off the coach - that's where it starts (and started).

After that its the reputation. We get penalized because we have a reputation - and we have a reputation because we got penalized a lot...

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
The bottom line is, we're not good enough to overcome penalties on offense. It seems like first and goal at the 5 is almost an automatic false start. Then we run two yards. Pretty much takes the run play out of the equation at that point. Then it usually results in a field goal.

Or maybe we're moving the ball well and we have a nice gain to their 25 only to be wiped out by a holding penalty. Now we got 20 yards for a first down, which means we usually end up short, which usually results in a punt.

Or maybe we get a big stop on 3rd down, but a holding or illegal contact gives them a new set of downs.
Total amount of penalties isn't a true indicator. Its the timing of the penalty. And its how we respond to them. Obviously with losing records all three years of Fisher's tenure, they ain't responding very well.

IMHO you are exactly right----penalties contribute to HELPING teams beat us, and we're not/haven't been good enough to help other teams beat us. Good teams are more capable of overcoming penalties, bad teams are not. Anything that helps contribute to losses should not be tolerated----especially by bad teams. Penalties, poor execution, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc., are all factors in contributing to losses----especially by bad teams, which we have been. Finally, if the coach's job is to prepare the team to win the game, and penalties contribute to losses.....then it's on the coaching staff.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I was just going to mention that I seem to remember reading that Fisher's Titties were the most or nearly the most penalized teams in the NFL...Could be wrong...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I was just going to mention that I seem to remember reading that Fisher's Titties were the most or nearly the most penalized teams in the NFL...Could be wrong...
They were.

And are you aware you typed 'Titties'?
Because it's going to be so much more hilarious to me if you didn't realize that.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They were.

And are you aware you typed 'Titties'?
Because it's going to be so much more hilarious to me if you didn't realize that.

If Fisher's titties are noticeable then he should be penalized. :eek:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was only able to find 2010 and 2009. In 2010 they were 4th worst in penalties in 2009 they were 15th. Also of note I found one site that charted how many penalties per game there are for each year going back 20+ years. We complain that there are so very many called now but looking at the chart it's been pretty solidly between 12-13.5 penalties a game for that entire time. There was one year I think it dropped to 11.2 but it's been pretty consistent.