What can we realistically expect from the St. Louis Rams in 2014?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
12-4 Division Champs... write it down

rams 12-4.png

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
There are times and places for realism AND optimism though. There's nothing wrong with predicting an undefeated season knowing full well it's almost mathematically impossible. Everyone knows that. It's just a way of showing your stripes is all. I predicted 19-0 in 1998 and 1999. I was pretty close once and way the hell off another. So what? The key is determining when someone is just being optimistic for the sake of being optimistic. Which, I mean, c'mon. It's not that hard to determine.

Realism is fine when discussing probabilities and trends, but this board has always had a strong core base of eternal optimists. It's what set us apart from all the other boards that just wanted to bag on players and coaches for the purpose of "keeping it real." Look around. More people are tired of that bullcrap than they are of people who have a real bright outlook on things. Me, personally, I'd rather be wrong every year than right about how crappy my favorite team is when all is said and done. And when I'm right, all the people who bagged on them during the process can go screw. I didn't like their outlook when they were kicking the bandwagon, and I sure as hell don't accept their renewed outlook when they're trying to climb back in.

That's just me though (maybe).

I agree with you. No one wants to hear all the negativity.

All I'm saying is that if we're going to contribute to the forum (this thread specifically, as it is asking for our predictions), it would seem to make more sense to share realistic projections. All of us hope for 19-0, but also realize it's being very optimistic. And to your point, we all know that 19-0 is about as optimistic as it gets, so what's the point of cluttering the thread so to say? Idk, just my 2 cents. I'll leave it at that so we don't get too OT.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
great assessment. but u and I both know there are lots of people who will scream for Bradford's or Snisher's head if they don't have a winning record or make the playoffs. Good thin Stan has a level head.

I'd like to give people more credit than that. I think people are able to separate the "Bradford issue" from the "Snisher issue". But, like I said, all will reveal itself in due time.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The key to our season is to win as many out of division games as possible. If we can't win 3 out of 4 in the NFC East and AFC West, we aren't repping our division at all. Beating Minnesota and Tampa, whether they are improved or not, should be in our wheelhouse. Then again, I don't make predictions because that means I'm predicting losses, so just know that I'm always hoping for a sweep of those divisions we play.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What can we REALISTICALLY expect ?

I know that we can expect to have a team with a Fisher Attitude. That means we're not going to be pushed around or intimidated by any team. We will play physical and through the whistle... probably earning a few personal fouls along the way. Our O will play to Run The Fuck Over everyone on our shedule with our stable of RBs .... and our D is going to Scare The Fuck out of all of our opposing QBs.

I just hate that I still have to wait like 95 more days till the games start.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
8-8 at worst
9-7 probably
10-6 hopefully
11-5+ hard to do but feasible with some luck thrown our way.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm not entering this season with a Win-Loss expectation. But I do expect us to be significantly more competitive on the field and to demonstrate the capability to enter the Playoffs in the 2015 season, perhaps with the addition of a couple players at key positions, such as a No.1 WR.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I stay out of the prediction biz for one simple reason - I never go into a game thinking the Rams will lose. If someone demands an answer, I say - "16-0, and on the unlikely possibility that they lose a game, I might change my prediction to 15-1."

fastcat

Pro Bowler
The only way I see us going 500 or less is that we have a lot of injuries. Last yr we went 7-9 with a backup qb and a pityful secondary scheme. If bradford was healthy we probaby get double digit wins or atleast over 500. And remember we had a brutal schedule (I'm tired of that phrase) last year... I know it may be hard for some to see but we are an emerging team amd this yr without major injuries we will be a contender... No way we are .500 or less.... No way

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I truly hope the Rams do well enough to get their offensive coordinator a Head Coaching job in the collegiate ranks. Rutgers would be a good match for Schottenheimer IMO.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I think we can expect a 10-6 record.
Whether that gets us into the post season or not depends on other teams records of course. But I'm thinking we'll go 10-6.
By mid season our defense is going to be very very very tough to play against.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree with you. No one wants to hear all the negativity.

All I'm saying is that if we're going to contribute to the forum (this thread specifically, as it is asking for our predictions), it would seem to make more sense to share realistic projections. All of us hope for 19-0, but also realize it's being very optimistic. And to your point, we all know that 19-0 is about as optimistic as it gets, so what's the point of cluttering the thread so to say? Idk, just my 2 cents. I'll leave it at that so we don't get too OT.

Every season teams "come out of nowhere" to win divisions and challenge deep into the playoffs. But if you go back and analyze how they did it, you typically will see strong drafting in the previous two seasons, excellent coaching to include coaching adjustments, and a healthy team. Rams pulled that off in '99 in Vermiel's third season of remaking the roster and only the most optimistic of fans saw that one coming prior to preseason when there was a marked and noticable difference in the team.

Rams may be set up in such a way for this season. They have drafted very well the past couple years. They adjusted their defensive staff to stack it for success with GDub. Third season under a complete overhaul.

IMO if you want to sit back and be pessimistic knock yourself out man. But this, for my money, IS the season to be optimistic. We are living in a great time right now as Rams' fans man. Enjoy it!

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Every season teams "come out of nowhere" to win divisions and challenge deep into the playoffs. But if you go back and analyze how they did it, you typically will see strong drafting in the previous two seasons, excellent coaching to include coaching adjustments, and a healthy team. Rams pulled that off in '99 in Vermiel's third season of remaking the roster and only the most optimistic of fans saw that one coming prior to preseason when there was a marked and noticable difference in the team.

Rams may be set up in such a way for this season. They have drafted very well the past couple years. They adjusted their defensive staff to stack it for success with GDub. Third season under a complete overhaul.

IMO if you want to sit back and be pessimistic knock yourself out man. But this, for my money, IS the season to be optimistic. We are living in a great time right now as Rams' fans man. Enjoy it!

Great post. That fuels the hope that we are bound for success even more so. I think we would all be in heaven if it's a repeat of '99. However, there's a difference between winning the Super Bowl and going 19-0. :rolleyes: Last time a team went 19-0 was, oh...wait...

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
It is easy to see us having a great season. Taking into account the factors from last year (Sam gone, rough start, sub par secondary play, etc.) we could be great this year. Imagine if Sam plays the whole year with the high level he was showing us last year, our secondary plays good, and we have our identity the whole season. That could lead to a pretty damn good season.

I still like the 12-4 prediction. Maybe a bit optimistic but I'll stick with it. It's a bold prediction.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
To each their own. I'd rather have realistic football talk. There's a difference between optimism and realism. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but what's the point in saying we're going to win every single game every single year? We wouldn't be here debating anything, this thread wouldn't exist, etc.

I'll admit I'm wrong on being a homer = being obnoxious. You can still be realistic and be a homer. I've just experienced my share of d*ckhead fans who have no respect for other teams and I can't stand those people so I guess I'm jaded. I suppose we're all homers to some extent; after all, we're all Rams fans. All I'm trying to say is that there's more to debate when we're all realistic.

Also, I hope that we win the super bowl every year, but I don't go around preaching that to everyone. On the other hand, I always want to hear our players exude that kind of confidence. That's just common sense on their end and it's almost expected to hear from our end. But players are in a different position than us fans. If they don't support the team in every way then they will be looked down upon. It's like asking a potential draft prospect if they think they're the best at their position in the draft. Who's honestly going to say "Well I really think this guy is better than me, you should probably draft him instead." Lol.

That's all cool. I get what you're saying. Just because I am a total homer doesn't mean I can't see what's going on. I firmly believe however, that there is a fine line in the NFL between winning and losing on any given Sunday. And a team that gets hot at the right time and might not have all the weapons or last season's Probowlers can surprise a lot of people. I'm not really serious about 19-0 but I am not ready to concede a game at this point so.....

There's plenty to talk about if there is anything to talk about if you get what I mean. Right now there's not much going on. But as there is more, there will be camp reports and news reports about certain players and how they look. There will be power rankings to debate. We will get reports from the talking heads about how the players look. Then... THEN... pre-season and then.... The season starts and we have all kinds of things to talk about - homer or not.

You'll find pretty lively debate here without the angst of other boards. My problem is that often I find the term realist associated with negative people all too much. This site is not about finding ways to be real so that you manage others' expectations. If someone wants to feel negative and carp on everything the Rams are doing - this is probably not the best place to hang out. That doesn't mean a person can't question what the Rams are doing in situations or games or with players, but it does generally mean that if all someone wants to do is bitch, they are very likely to be shown the door - realist or not.

So when I see a thread that is about "realistic" expectations before the season even starts, I am all in. Why not? Unless the Rams start stinking up the joint as we've seen with the team in several prior seasons, I am going into each game thinking we are going to win. It does me no good to think otherwise and yet I still find plenty to discuss about what the team did or is doing. I have to admit, after the Dallas game last year, I was livid. Still, I thought we had a chance to win the following week. Maybe not a good chance but a chance. If I didn't, I don't know why I'd watch it.

Anyway, it's not really a big deal. I am a Ram fan for well over forty years. There ain't no way I'm not a realist. This team has forced me to be one. But I am also a total homer. I grew up with this team. I can't rout for any other team. So I might as well think they are going to win any time they step onto the field.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Keep the offensive line intact and #8 upright, I don't see any reason these guys can't make a push for the NFC West title, eff the Seahawks, eff the 49rs (and yeah it's time again) eff the Diaz Brothers

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
10-12 wins are my expectations with a slight chance to win the division and a good chance for a wildcard. I think there's a better chance for 13+ wins than 8-. They breakout this season and should be even better in 15.