What bothers me about Rams QB situation.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
The verbiage thing bothers me too, because it's just overly long and complicated and it's hard to grasp because the QB has to call out every route by name instead of just using the Coryell numbering system, which is easier to memorize - especially for a young QB.

This is a good point. If someone can explain why in the literal f*** it has to be so damn complicated to call a play, that'd be great.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Keenum is basically the starter because he has a better grasp of the offense from a mental stand point. But does that out weigh the physical limitations he has as far as throwing the ball? Both Mannion and Goff have far superior arms than Keenum. I mean how far behind can they be at grasping that amateur offense the Rams trotted out Monday night? Are you telling me the 49er defense learned the Rams offense more thoroughly and in less time than the Rams 2 backup QB's have been able too? I find that hard to believe.

The only upside to starting Keenum over the other two is that Mannion or Goff won't get injured. Honestly I'd rather have one of the other guys make some mental mistakes but offset that by making some good throws.
Throws Keenum will never be able to make no mater how well he knows the offense. I see zero advantage starting Keenum if the O the rams plan on running is like what we saw on Monday.

It's painfully obvious there is no advantage going with Keenum. He can call the plays he can't execute? That doesn't help.

Zero points, I give Keenum one quarter to put points on the board, if he fails, it's time to make a case for either Goff or Mannion.

This^^^

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I'm sorry but if we want the best of both worlds ability and knowledge that person is Mannion... Anybody else who says other wise is fooling them self.

Mannion should be starting instead of Keenum until we get Goff situated at #2 with him splitting reps in practice with the ones.

This coaching staff has Romo'd this whole QB situation and it's time to stop fucking around, man up, admit your mistake, and right the ship and carry on.
FFS

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Maybe the Rams' verbiage sucks ass and they're overly convoluting/complicating things just like there were reports of Shotty's O being ridiculously complicated for WRs.

How they can't dumb this down for him and simplify things just doesn't compute.

Bradford came from a tempo-based spread and did just fine his 1st year with less talent around him than Goff. Even Keenum needs his wife to pull double duty on studying, maybe the problem, AGAIN, is with the coaches bungling everything.

And that's a more pleasant thought than Goff being a total airhead/slow-witted.

What's so hard, honestly, about a screen to Austin? A bubble screen to Austin? A 4 yard route short of the sticks. Hand-off to Todd.

What the hell is in that playbook?
I totally agree with this, and on defense too. We all know Ray Ray, and in SF, those guys weren't thinking, they were playing. Ray Ray couldn't play our defense...too complicated. Our offense, has been, too complicated, which makes no sense being how simple our offense really is, in theory.

It's something that baffles my brain.

Athos

Legend
Young made a statement about how the most innovative offenses are often simple to pick up, which is why they're often really effective, guys can jump in and get it quickly.

So it wouldn't shock me that the reverse is true. Our offensive is needlessly complicated and easy to read.

It makes total sense. The most innovative/effective offenses imo, just execute their system to near perfection.

If you have quality players that know their assignments... Shouldn't be an issue.

Is there really anything THAT complex about the GB system? The Patriot system?

Most QBs aren't Manning level cerebral who was a chess master playing against checkers players.

Complex verbiage just seems a stupidly dumb thing to do.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Zero points, I give Keenum one quarter to put points on the board, if he fails, it's time to make a case for either Goff or Mannion.
You know, the difference between Keebum and say, Mannion and Goff strikes me as somewhat similar to Haden and Feragammo back in the 70's. Haden's arm couldn't do what needed to be done. When Feragammo started making passes that Pat couldn't, you knew Vince just had to play to grow. I was really pizzed when the Rams failed to keep him.
I agree if Case just plays like last week it's time for a learning experience for our future quarterback. If that's Mannion, so be it

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't blame Keenum so much as i do the coaching staff for Monday night.
Unprepared from both a mental and scheming aspect.

JMO

jap

Legend
If Jared is really the backup for Sunday, they will have to dumb down the play listing, keeping plays he can really excel at with his skills. I don't see why they cannot use Sean. We simply have to be able to stretch the field and make anyone who over-keys on the Express! pay for it dearly with quick intermediate|deep strikes to our fly guys. When the opposing DC's are forced to play honest, Todd & Tavon can take over the game.

TexasRam

Legend
How complicated can it be to say run up the middle until third down.

Then on third down say go to the chains and turn around.

But I personally do not want Goff to even learn one part of this QB killer offense.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Keenum is basically the starter because he has a better grasp of the offense from a mental stand point. But does that out weigh the physical limitations he has as far as throwing the ball? Both Mannion and Goff have far superior arms than Keenum. I mean how far behind can they be at grasping that amateur offense the Rams trotted out Monday night? Are you telling me the 49er defense learned the Rams offense more thoroughly and in less time than the Rams 2 backup QB's have been able too? I find that hard to believe.

The only upside to starting Keenum over the other two is that Mannion or Goff won't get injured. Honestly I'd rather have one of the other guys make some mental mistakes but offset that by making some good throws.
Throws Keenum will never be able to make no mater how well he knows the offense. I see zero advantage starting Keenum if the O the rams plan on running is like what we saw on Monday.

Great OP @Pancake - was just about to start a similar thread on our QBs asking if anyone had any or knew of any videos analysing the throwing motion of all 3 of our guys, I've been watching Case's ermm highlights and he throws a very low ball IMO - I dont get the not ready / can't get a grasp of the offense - Mannion has been in the NFL a whole year, working and learning in the Rams system - are you telling me he's worse than Keenum, if so why waste a 3rd round pick on him? Mannion is 6'6" and throws a fast ball and his accuracy is way better than Keenum and he's much better at getting the ball deep. Mansion's wonderlic score of 40 is pretty good, so I'm sure he knows the Offense now, get him to start and let Goff get ready behind him. Keep Keenum as your #2 if you must, but I think I'd rather try and trade him for a 3rd round pick next year and run with 2 QBs...

Sean Mannion - 6'6" Throw velocity: 57mph Wonderlic: 40 SPARQ-x: 83
Jared Goff - 6'4" Throw velocity: 58mph Wonderlic: 36 SPARQ-x: 81.5
Case Keenum - 6'0" Throw velocity: ?mph Wonderlic: ? SPARQ-x: 92.7

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, Fisher said even before the 49ners game that he would put Mannion as backup for the 1st game and switch with Goff for the 2nd game. So it's not a movement or that Goff improved. Fisher is just being weird.
yea, dont address the problem. demote someone who didnt even play. THAT'LL show those players who's boss.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Here is one of Boras' shorter plays:

Pass Bubble Trips left motion, 73 Reno halfback fake punch, Slurpie 7-11 slot 10 cross hair, West Rip righty tighty, Fake slap bitchy, Z spot blue Elephant tight trunk, F left, Orange sticky wiggle, T spot orchard Green grapes, lefty lucy, Avengers Xman shift to viper right, 382 lookie dookie curl right tuck split, Zip up the gopher ON TWO!....

Which really only means Gurley play action Tavon 3 yard hitch & the Slot receiver goes in motion ;)

qb-tool.jpg
That was brilliant sir and I award you 100 Internetz for it. Not only was it funny, but I really think it encompasses what we are all trying to say/discuss here. Why on scorched EARTH is Boras a thing? How did we end up with HIM as the "guy" to resurrect this offense??

This will not get better this season I fear, as a broken and predictable scheme (with needlessly complicated verbiage to boot) is not something you can just fix mid season. Fisher is to blame for the OC hirings since he has been here. No way around that. This smacks of 1998 and Vermeil. Lets hope next year we can party like it's 1999 .....again.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You know, the difference between Keebum and say, Mannion and Goff strikes me as somewhat similar to Haden and Feragammo back in the 70's. Haden's arm couldn't do what needed to be done. When Feragammo started making passes that Pat couldn't, you knew Vince just had to play to grow. I was really pizzed when the Rams failed to keep him.
I agree if Case just plays like last week it's time for a learning experience for our future quarterback. If that's Mannion, so be it

Great Post sir and right on point! Anytime someone brings up losing Vince Ferragamo it brings a tear to my eye.

lockdnram21

Legend
His "sources" also told him that Wentz was the pick. Dude doesn't like Goff. I don't buy it.

I know Allbright well. We used to post on the same forum. He wants to be right about Goff.
I believe. It sounds about right

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't blame Keenum so much as i do the coaching staff for Monday night.
Unprepared from both a mental and scheming aspect.

JMO

The buck definitely stops with them ... but Keenum sure failed to make the best of the few chances he had to make positive plays.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In Hard Knocks, it looked like Keenum's wife had a pretty good grasp of the playbook.
Maybe we should give her a shot?:rant:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If Keenum was "seeing ghosts" (his words) last week, what do you think it will be like against the Albatross D...Not too encouraging for me...