What bothers me about Rams QB situation.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Keenum is basically the starter because he has a better grasp of the offense from a mental stand point. But does that out weigh the physical limitations he has as far as throwing the ball? Both Mannion and Goff have far superior arms than Keenum. I mean how far behind can they be at grasping that amateur offense the Rams trotted out Monday night? Are you telling me the 49er defense learned the Rams offense more thoroughly and in less time than the Rams 2 backup QB's have been able too? I find that hard to believe.

The only upside to starting Keenum over the other two is that Mannion or Goff won't get injured. Honestly I'd rather have one of the other guys make some mental mistakes but offset that by making some good throws.
Throws Keenum will never be able to make no mater how well he knows the offense. I see zero advantage starting Keenum if the O the rams plan on running is like what we saw on Monday.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, we have seen movement after the game, as Fisher announced that Goff might be the back up behind Keenum vs. the Hawks....Mannion is demoted after having done nothing on the field that should chance his roster position? I expect that Goff moved up (if he's the back up this week), to enter the game if Keenum and the Rams continue to get blown out by the opposing team....Another bad game by Keenum and the Rams offense might usher in the Jared Goff era in LA>

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Keenum is basically the starter because he has a better grasp of the offense from a mental stand point. But does that out weigh the physical limitations he has as far as throwing the ball? Both Mannion and Goff have far superior arms than Keenum. I mean how far behind can they be at grasping that amateur offense the Rams trotted out Monday night? Are you telling me the 49er defense learned the Rams offense more thoroughly and in less time than the Rams 2 backup QB's have been able too? I find that hard to believe.

The only upside to starting Keenum over the other two is that Mannion or Goff won't get injured. Honestly I'd rather have one of the other guys make some mental mistakes but offset that by making some good throws.
Throws Keenum will never be able to make no mater how well he knows the offense. I see zero advantage starting Keenum if the O the rams plan on running is like what we saw on Monday.

I like it, ... Fisher's circle of life, or in our case, ... death spiral. It really does appear as simple as you have spun it, ... well done.

Although there is some blame that might rightly be spread around, the OL & receivers were less than what we had hoped, the defense came out of their corner anemic, but the real villains for this last game fall mostly on the shoulders of our QB and coaching staff. Seemingly, Goff could offer no worse than what we have been presented so far, except perhaps a blow to his dignity and confidence, at worst injury, but eventually the youngest and most fragile must be pushed from their nest to fly on their own. jmo.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do we know how good he is unless he plays . The Rams only run 6 different plays anyhow so put him out there.
Maybe if he knows it's his team he might relax and play well . After watching the horrible showing by Keenum what could it hurt .

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Well, we have seen movement after the game, as Fisher announced that Goff might be the back up behind Keenum vs. the Hawks....Mannion is demoted after having done nothing on the field that should chance his roster position? I expect that Goff moved up (if he's the back up this week), to enter the game if Keenum and the Rams continue to get blown out by the opposing team....Another bad game by Keenum and the Rams offense might usher in the Jared Goff era in LA>

I expect Goff moved up because Kroenke told Fisher to get his shiny new Ferrari out of the garage.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nah, Fisher said even before the 49ners game that he would put Mannion as backup for the 1st game and switch with Goff for the 2nd game. So it's not a movement or that Goff improved. Fisher is just being weird.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

Fish did mention even before the niner game that Goff and Mannion would most likely switch positions for game 2.

I really hope there is a better game plan this week. Last week was just absolute trash.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Keenum is basically the starter because he has a better grasp of the offense from a mental stand point. ...
Yeah I don't get the whole "mental grasp" thing either. To paraphrase Theismann, this stuff is so complicated it takes a genius like Norman Einstein to get, and the Rams playbook isn't exactly the NASA manual anyway. If it's that silly thing that Goff can't remember plays or speak in the offense's foreign tongue, just give him Brett Favre's wristband from 2005 and roll him out there:
brett-favre-wristband-11132014.jpg

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
If Keenum sucks in the first half and it's still a game, which it should be barring Seattle D scores, I would rather have Mannion playing catch up than Goff. Goff isn't ready and not accustomed to relieving. Especially if Spruce or Cooper is ready to come back. I think Mannion is more familiar with Higbee than Keenum. Should any of this happen, if Mannion looks decent then let him start the next game. If not, Goff has a full week to prepare for it. The season isn't lost yet. Maybe the players weren't lying when they said that that wasn't the real them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
What bothers me is that a good portion of us took Keenum's 3-1 record at the end of last season and sugarcoated it with the 2016 preseason giving us a false sense of security.

Fisher and Snead promoted the whole farce to the ones of us that bought the Bull Sh!t with Keenum being okay until the Goff cake was slowly cooked and pulled out of the oven ready to serve.

(To be fair to Fisher, J.Gruden is on record last week saying that after spending a few days with Goff, he predicted Jared wouldn't be ready to start until week 4 or 5 of the regular season. He explained this based on his Cal Bear Raid offense and being only 21 years old)

Back to Keenum going 3-1 in 2015: This was greatly inflated/hype and if we all looked at his stats more closely he was a risky gamble to start the 2016 season no matter if Goff was drafted or not. He had 2 nice TD bombs to Britt that deserve credit but those were deceiving for what to expect from him in 2016.

KEENUM STATS LAST 5 GAMES

3rd Downs conversions 4/11
Total Net Yards Passing 114

Passing
C.Keenum 14/22 124 Yards.. 0 TD.. 1 INT
Average Yards per Pass 5.0

Receiving
K.Britt 2/35
B.Marquez 3/32
T.Austin 3/19
J.Cook 1/11
W.Welker 1/11
B.Cunningham 1/8
T.Gurley 1/7
T.Mason 2/1

3rd Downs conversions 2/10
Total Net Yards Passing 221

Passing
C.Keenum 14/17 234 Yards. 2 TD.. 0 INT
Average Yards per Pass 6.1

Receiving
K.Britt 2/71 TD 1
J.Cook 4/64
T.Austin 3/41 TD 1
T.Gurley 2/31
L.Kendricks 3/27

3rd Downs conversions 5/12
Total Net Yards Passing 103

Passing
C.Keenum 14/23 103 Yards. 1 TD.. 0 INT
Average Yards per Pass 4.5

Receiving
K.Britt 3/49 TD 1
T.Austin 3/16
B.Cunningham 3/14
T.Gurley 1/7
B.Quick 1/6
J.Cook 1/5
T.Mason 1/3
W.Welker 1/3

3rd Downs conversions 3/13
Total Net Yards Passing 231

Passing
C.Keenum 22/37 231 Yards. 0 TD.. 0 INT
Average Yards per Pass 6.1

Receiving
K.Britt 3/81
L.Kendricks 5/37
B.Cunningham 3/34
T.Austin 5/30
B.Quick 2/23
W.Welker 2/16
C.Harkey 1/12
M.Brown 1 for -2

3rd Downs conversions 3/15
Total Net Yards Passing 120

Passing
C.Keenum 17/35 130 Yards. 0 TD.. 2 INT
Average Yards per Pass 3.2

Receiving
K.Britt 4/67
B.Quick 3/23
L.Kendricks 2/15
T.Austin 4/13
M.Brown 1/8
B.Cunningham 1/7
T.Higbee 1/2
T.Gurley 1 for -5

C.KEENUM CAREER

275/490.. Comp % 56.1.. Yards.. 3,153.. YPC 6.4.. 15 TD.. 11 INT

Boras isn't blameless & Stats don't always tell the entire truth but in Keenum's case they are very telling..

Depressed-Tom-Is-Joined-By-a-Hopeless-Jerry-In-Sad-Tom-and-Jerry-Episode.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Zero points, I give Keenum one quarter to put points on the board, if he fails, it's time to make a case for either Goff or Mannion.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What kills me is that we could have hired Cooter...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It won't matter who is the QB if they keep the same game plan of running at a stacked line and throwing the ball behind that same stacked line.
The coaches are to blame for last week, period.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Didn't take stats to see how keenum was not the answer last year or this year. His arm is week he can't make throws to the sidelines also under throws long ball. I'm not sure mannion can do it either he had one good game in preseason the other game was questionable and that was against the 3's. give Goff a wristband and set him loose

Athos

Legend
Check out @AllbrightNFL's Tweet:
View: https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/776208399902007296?s=09

He said his sources told him this today

Maybe the Rams' verbiage sucks ass and they're overly convoluting/complicating things just like there were reports of Shotty's O being ridiculously complicated for WRs.

How they can't dumb this down for him and simplify things just doesn't compute.

Bradford came from a tempo-based spread and did just fine his 1st year with less talent around him than Goff. Even Keenum needs his wife to pull double duty on studying, maybe the problem, AGAIN, is with the coaches bungling everything.

And that's a more pleasant thought than Goff being a total airhead/slow-witted.

What's so hard, honestly, about a screen to Austin? A bubble screen to Austin? A 4 yard route short of the sticks. Hand-off to Todd.

What the hell is in that playbook?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If Goff isn't going to start, then Mannion should start over Keenum. Mannion is taller, and while he doesn't have Goff's arm, his is certainly better than Keenum's. Plus, he's been in this offense the same amount of time that Keenum has, so he probably knows it just as well.

The verbiage thing bothers me too, because it's just overly long and complicated and it's hard to grasp because the QB has to call out every route by name instead of just using the Coryell numbering system, which is easier to memorize - especially for a young QB.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Maybe the Rams' verbiage sucks ass and they're overly convoluting/complicating things just like there were reports of Shotty's O being ridiculously complicated for WRs.

Bradford came from a tempo-based spread and did just fine his 1st year with less talent around him than Goff. Even Keenum needs his wife to pull double duty on studying, maybe the problem, AGAIN, is with the coaches bungling everything.

And that's a more pleasant thought than Goff being a total airhead/slow-witted.

What's so hard, honestly, about a screen to Austin? A bubble screen to Austin? A 4 yard route short of the sticks. Hand-off to Todd.

Young made a statement about how the most innovative offenses are often simple to pick up, which is why they're often really effective, guys can jump in and get it quickly.

So it wouldn't shock me that the reverse is true. Our offensive is needlessly complicated and easy to read.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If Goff isn't going to start, then Mannion should start over Keenum. Mannion is taller, and while he doesn't have Goff's arm, his is certainly better than Keenum's. Plus, he's been in this offense the same amount of time that Keenum has, so he probably knows it just as well.

The verbiage thing bothers me too, because it's just overly long and complicated and it's hard to grasp because the QB has to call out every route by name instead of just using the Coryell numbering system, which is easier to memorize - especially for a young QB.
Mannion throws one MPH slower than Goff so I doubt that anyone can see the difference and he definitely knows the offense better than Goff and is more Pro ready. Let him play while Goff studies and Keenum is the backup.
If Mannion gets hurt start Goff and hope that we don't have to play Keenum.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Maybe the Rams' verbiage sucks ass and they're overly convoluting/complicating things just like there were reports of Shotty's O

Here is one of Boras' shorter plays:

Pass Bubble Trips left motion, 73 Reno halfback fake punch, Slurpie 7-11 slot 10 cross hair, West Rip righty tighty, Fake slap bitchy, Z spot blue Elephant tight trunk, F left, Orange sticky wiggle, T spot orchard Green grapes, lefty lucy, Avengers Xman shift to viper right, 382 lookie dookie curl right tuck split, Zip up the gopher ON TWO!....

Which really only means Gurley play action Tavon 3 yard hitch & the Slot receiver goes in motion ;)

qb-tool.jpg

Last edited: