What better way to make a 1st post....Mock Draft!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Hey everyone, New to the forum, looks freaking awesome. A little about me before I get started here, I've been a St. louis Rams fan all my life, My all-time favorite player is Torry Holt and I've been following the draft since 2000.

Mock Draft philosophy
- I like to take BPA especially in the early rounds, I think everyone knows we need Starting players on the Offensive Line, but I don' think people realize that there are other ways to achieve that. While in Tennessee, often times Coach Fisher would draft an Offensive Tackle late in the draft, get him into their facility and under a NFL strength and conditioning program and have that draftee use his Rookie year as more of a redshirt season, then compete for the starting job the next year. Examples of this would be....Jon Runyan (4th round) Benji Olsen (5th round) Kevin Long (7th round) Justin Hartwig (6th round) Eugene Amano (7th round) Jacob Bell (5th round) David Stewart (4th round) Leroy Harris (4th round)...All are examples of players drafted under Fisher in the 4th round or later that used their Rookie Season as spoken above and either started the next year on the Offensive Line or started within the next two years on the offensive line. So don't be surprised if Barrett Jones (4th round) or Demetrius Rhaney (7th round) are penciled in as a starter on the offensive line, because Coach Fisher has had some pretty good success with that philosophy. So no, I'm not going to spend two selections on Offensive Linemen within the first 4 picks just because it fills a need, to me that is a horrible way to draft, and a way that has led the Cleveland Browns franchise get to where it is today.

Ok, enough rambling, here we go.....

1st round: Kevin White WR, West Virginia
-
Rams choose to go get a potential stud #1 receiver. And yes, Brandon Scherff is still on the board. To me, White is a top 5 player, while Scherff is more of a top 20 player. Sorry to those "Scherff to St. Louis" fans out there, but I'm not reaching for need. Kevin White has been getting a ton of love lately, especially after his Combine performance. A lot of experts have him now ahead of Amari Cooper as the #1 Receiver in the draft. I don't know if I would go that far, but I do love me some Kevin White. He gives the Rams a true #1 receiver, something this team has been looking for since Torry Holt left. Kevin White will be the third wide receiver we've taken out of West Virginia in as many years, and actually the fourth Rams wide receiver that played his college career with Lonnie Galloway as his wide receiver's coach. (Chris Givens being the other) This picks make a ton of sense for the Rams, first of all, Kenny Britt can not be counted on, last year was a Career year for him and he's at best a #2 Receiver. Also, I love what I saw from Brian Quick last year, but is anyone ready to claim him as this teams #1 option? I don't think I am.

2nd round: AJ Cann OL, South Carolina
-
Rams snag an Offensive Lineman with their second pick. A guy who I believe you can pencil in as your starting guard from day one of the season. I do think the Rams staff has Barrett Jones penciled in as the starting center next year, but what adds to Cann's value in my book is his ability to play the Center position as well. I also guess I should have mentioned earlier, I do have the Rams resigning Joe Barksdale, so those people freaked out that we don't have a Right Tackle, can breathe a little easier now.

3rd round: Tevin Coleman RB, Indiana
-
I really enjoy watching Coleman on film, he runs a bit up-right and can spend more time in the weight room strengthening his lower core, but he's got underrated vision in my opinion and he's a home run threat every time he touches the ball. I know Tre Mason had a tremendous rookie season, but I worry about his ability to stay healthy and be this teams workhorse, not sure if he can do it.

4th round: Garrett Grayson QB, Colorado State
-
Rams finally get their Franchise Quarterback! Ok, maybe not, but Grayson could be a very good backup at the next level with a chance to develop into an average starter. I don't see the arm strength worries that everyone seems to bring up when mentioning him, he'll never be confused with Andrew Luck, but his arm is on par with players like Teddy Bridgewater. Rams have Nick Foles for next season but really beyond that, they have a huge question mark at the Quarterback position. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Foles is one and done as a Ram, with so many up and coming free agents on the roster after the 2015 season, the Rams simply might not have the cap space to sign Foles and keep the rest of the team intact.

6th round: Greg Mancz C, Toledo
-
Developmental Center who needs to sit a year and get in the weight room. Rams go into next year with Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney battling it out for the Starting Center spot. As i mentioned before, I'm not going to plug in every need just to fill a need, when it's clear there is better talent on the board. We slide Mancz on to the practice squad and hope he can develop into something.

7th round: Tyrell Williams WR, Western Oregon
-
Very little tape on this kid, and maybe the Rams don't need to go get another receiver, but I couldn't help myself. He's drawn interest from the Patriots and Lions and had a really good pro day for NFL teams where he ran a 4.38 forty, 39.5 Vert, 4.22 SS, 6.53 Cone. Is 6'3 1/2 and weighs in at 204 pounds. Looks really smooth out there on tape. Get him learning from NFL coaches and who knows, maybe you have something.

Thanks for reading my mock and I look forward to enjoying this forum.

thehammer

Rookie
Hey everyone, New to the forum, looks freaking awesome. A little about me before I get started here, I've been a St. louis Rams fan all my life, My all-time favorite player is Torry Holt and I've been following the draft since 2000.

Mock Draft philosophy
- I like to take BPA especially in the early rounds, I think everyone knows we need Starting players on the Offensive Line, but I don' think people realize that there are other ways to achieve that. While in Tennessee, often times Coach Fisher would draft an Offensive Tackle late in the draft, get him into their facility and under a NFL strength and conditioning program and have that draftee use his Rookie year as more of a redshirt season, then compete for the starting job the next year. Examples of this would be....Jon Runyan (4th round) Benji Olsen (5th round) Kevin Long (7th round) Justin Hartwig (6th round) Eugene Amano (7th round) Jacob Bell (5th round) David Stewart (4th round) Leroy Harris (4th round)...All are examples of players drafted under Fisher in the 4th round or later that used their Rookie Season as spoken above and either started the next year on the Offensive Line or started within the next two years on the offensive line. So don't be surprised if Barrett Jones (4th round) or Demetrius Rhaney (7th round) are penciled in as a starter on the offensive line, because Coach Fisher has had some pretty good success with that philosophy. So no, I'm not going to spend two selections on Offensive Linemen within the first 4 picks just because it fills a need, to me that is a horrible way to draft, and a way that has led the Cleveland Browns franchise get to where it is today.

Ok, enough rambling, here we go.....

1st round: Kevin White WR, West Virginia
-
Rams choose to go get a potential stud #1 receiver. And yes, Brandon Scherff is still on the board. To me, White is a top 5 player, while Scherff is more of a top 20 player. Sorry to those "Scherff to St. Louis" fans out there, but I'm not reaching for need. Kevin White has been getting a ton of love lately, especially after his Combine performance. A lot of experts have him now ahead of Amari Cooper as the #1 Receiver in the draft. I don't know if I would go that far, but I do love me some Kevin White. He gives the Rams a true #1 receiver, something this team has been looking for since Torry Holt left. Kevin White will be the third wide receiver we've taken out of West Virginia in as many years, and actually the fourth Rams wide receiver that played his college career with Lonnie Galloway as his wide receiver's coach. (Chris Givens being the other) This picks make a ton of sense for the Rams, first of all, Kenny Britt can not be counted on, last year was a Career year for him and he's at best a #2 Receiver. Also, I love what I saw from Brian Quick last year, but is anyone ready to claim him as this teams #1 option? I don't think I am.

2nd round: AJ Cann OL, South Carolina
-
Rams snag an Offensive Lineman with their second pick. A guy who I believe you can pencil in as your starting guard from day one of the season. I do think the Rams staff has Barrett Jones penciled in as the starting center next year, but what adds to Cann's value in my book is his ability to play the Center position as well. I also guess I should have mentioned earlier, I do have the Rams resigning Joe Barksdale, so those people freaked out that we don't have a Right Tackle, can breathe a little easier now.

3rd round: Tevin Coleman RB, Indiana
-
I really enjoy watching Coleman on film, he runs a bit up-right and can spend more time in the weight room strengthening his lower core, but he's got underrated vision in my opinion and he's a home run threat every time he touches the ball. I know Tre Mason had a tremendous rookie season, but I worry about his ability to stay healthy and be this teams workhorse, not sure if he can do it.

4th round: Garrett Grayson QB, Colorado State
-
Rams finally get their Franchise Quarterback! Ok, maybe not, but Grayson could be a very good backup at the next level with a chance to develop into an average starter. I don't see the arm strength worries that everyone seems to bring up when mentioning him, he'll never be confused with Andrew Luck, but his arm is on par with players like Teddy Bridgewater. Rams have Nick Foles for next season but really beyond that, they have a huge question mark at the Quarterback position. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Foles is one and done as a Ram, with so many up and coming free agents on the roster after the 2015 season, the Rams simply might not have the cap space to sign Foles and keep the rest of the team intact.

6th round: Greg Mancz C, Toledo
-
Developmental Center who needs to sit a year and get in the weight room. Rams go into next year with Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney battling it out for the Starting Center spot. As i mentioned before, I'm not going to plug in every need just to fill a need, when it's clear there is better talent on the board. We slide Mancz on to the practice squad and hope he can develop into something.

7th round: Tyrell Williams WR, Western Oregon
-
Very little tape on this kid, and maybe the Rams don't need to go get another receiver, but I couldn't help myself. He's drawn interest from the Patriots and Lions and had a really good pro day for NFL teams where he ran a 4.38 forty, 39.5 Vert, 4.22 SS, 6.53 Cone. Is 6'3 1/2 and weighs in at 204 pounds. Looks really smooth out there on tape. Get him learning from NFL coaches and who knows, maybe you have something.

Thanks for reading my mock and I look forward to enjoying this forum.

you are good at this stuff...be fun reading your posts

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Welcome to the Board! Mr. Walker, Any relation to Johnny Walker!? ( We use Blue Font around here when we are kidding around!!):)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Welcome aboard man. Good work on this post. I'm not a real draft guy so I don't tend to make too many comments on the different mocks but nicely put together and it was an excellent read.

Hope you like it here.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Welcome Aboard.

Very interesting mock draft. Though I've made my share, I actually prefer to see the one team only mock drafts minus the trades. No matter what team a draftnik is a fan of, it's rare to see one without them. Almost everyone wants to trade down. Of course, I guess it is much easier to make a team only mock draft with trades giving one more picks to make selections.

Love the first selection, but I'd be curious to know who you think the 9 players off the board might be if both White and Scherff were still available at #10?

A.J. Cann seems like a natural fit in the 2nd round, too.

Unless there's a bad medical report, if Tevin Coleman is still available after 71 selections there needs to be a shakeup in some NFL front offices/scouting departments.

The remaining picks do absolutely nothing for me. I still don't believe that Grayson is or will be any better than Austin Davis.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome Aboard.

Very interesting mock draft. Though I've made my share, I actually prefer to see the one team only mock drafts minus the trades. It's easy to make a mock draft with trades giving the team more picks to make selections, but no matter the team, it seems every fan has their team trading down to pick up more picks.

Love the first selection, but I'd be curious to know who you think the 9 players off the board might be if both White and Scherff were still available at #10?

A.J. Cann seems like a natural fit in the 2nd round, too.

Unless there's a bad medical report, if Tevin Coleman is still available after 71 selections there needs to be a shakeup in some NFL front offices/scouting departments.

The remaining picks do absolutely nothing for me. I still don't believe that Grayson is or will be any better than Austin Davis.

1. Bucs - Jameis Winston QB
2. Titans - Leonard Williams DE
3. Jaguars - Dante Fowler LB
4. Raiders - Amari Cooper WR
5. Redskins - Vic Beasley LB
6. Jets - Marcus Mariota QB
7. Bears - Alvin Dupree LB
8. Falcons - Shane Ray DE
9. Giants - Danny Shelton DT

Memphis Ram

Legend
1. Bucs - Jameis Winston QB
2. Titans - Leonard Williams DE
3. Jaguars - Dante Fowler LB
4. Raiders - Amari Cooper WR
5. Redskins - Vic Beasley LB
6. Jets - Marcus Mariota QB
7. Bears - Alvin Dupree LB
8. Falcons - Shane Ray DE
9. Giants - Danny Shelton DT

Thanks. Don't think Shelton fits Spagnuolo (Giants new DC) defense though, but who knows.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
With the depth of this draft at RB - I wonder if a guy like Coleman may actually be there in the 3rd.

How many teams are going to take a RB in the first 2 rounds? Of those teams - Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, Ajayi, Abdullah, Johnson & Johnson - the order may come down to scheme fit.

While I believe the Rams don't really need a back as badly as some other positions - this draft is loaded with talent at the position and round 3 or even round 4 seem like pretty good places to strike.

Athos

Legend
With the depth of this draft at RB - I wonder if a guy like Coleman may actually be there in the 3rd.

How many teams are going to take a RB in the first 2 rounds? Of those teams - Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, Ajayi, Abdullah, Johnson & Johnson - the order may come down to scheme fit.

While I believe the Rams don't really need a back as badly as some other positions - this draft is loaded with talent at the position and round 3 or even round 4 seem like pretty good places to strike.

Like Hammer said, if the Rams don't draft one of the sexy WRs that may fall into their laps, I want the best pass-catching RB to make up for it.

Best scenario of that is Gurley, followed by Johnson.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Like Hammer said, if the Rams don't draft one of the sexy WRs that may fall into their laps, I want the best pass-catching RB to make up for it.

Best scenario of that is Gurley, followed by Johnson.

David Johnson or Malcolm Johnson? Guessing you're talking about David.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can dig it. Although, I don't like Coleman in our system.

And while this is kind of irrelevant, I do find it interesting that so many people believe Luck has a strong arm (not surprising with the media portrayal of him). In terms of arm strength, he's middle of the pack. He's just really good at everything else.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott

And while this is kind of irrelevant, I do find it interesting that so many people believe Luck has a strong arm (not surprising with the media portrayal of him). In terms of arm strength, he's middle of the pack. He's just really good at everything else.

The 3rd round was the hardest for me to mock, I really wanted to give the Rams either Devin Smith or Rashad Greene but I figured that would be a bit much in the receiver department. Wanted to grab Paul Dawson there, but realistically I don't see him getting out of the top 50.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The 3rd round was the hardest for me to mock, I really wanted to give the Rams either Devin Smith or Rashad Greene but I figured that would be a bit much in the receiver department. Wanted to grab Paul Dawson there, but realistically I don't see him getting out of the top 50.

Was hoping that slow 40 time and so-called character concerns I keep reading about might make it so, but you are probably right.

Athos

Legend

Middle of the pack? I dunno about that. Don't think 12 guys in the league have a stronger arm. He's just over average in arm strength imo. I'm not talking deep ball. But he can sling it side line to side line. I would say Sammy has a better arm than Luck though. Shame Sammy couldn't have the durability of Luck.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Middle of the pack? I dunno about that. Don't think 12 guys in the league have a stronger arm. He's just over average in arm strength imo. I'm not talking deep ball. But he can sling it side line to side line. I would say Sammy has a better arm than Luck though. Shame Sammy couldn't have the durability of Luck.

That's actually where the "problem" lies for him. His ball hangs more than people know.

There are 12 starters with stronger arms.
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Colin Kaepernick
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco
Sam Bradford
Ben Roethlisberger
Cam Newton
Derek Carr
RGIII
Tom Brady
Russell Wilson

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Nice draft and welcome.

I know I am in the minority but I don't think Cann is going to be there when we pick, of course he would be a great fit if he was though.

I would prefer another lineman in the 4th over Grayson. I see nothing in his game that impresses me. A guy like Shaq Mason from Georgia Tech would be a nice fit IMO.

Well done!