What 49ers fans are saying before and after the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Rams white unis look dope." Well, I do agree with something from this Whiners fan.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/9/20/16337718/49ers-rams-preview-week-3-aaron-donald-defense

49ers-Rams preview: Talking Aaron Donald’s return and this LA defense
The Rams defense has a lot of potential, and benefits from the return of Aaron Donald. We broke it down with Turf Show Times.
by David Fucillo

usa_today_10111165.0.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The San Francisco 49ers have had tough defensive challenges in each of their first two games. The Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks are two of the better defenses they’ll face this season. The 49ers offense has a lot of work to do, but it certainly did not help facing those two squads coming out of the gate.

Things don’t exactly get much easier in Week 3. The 49ers host the Los Angeles Rams on Thursday Night Football, and they get a unit that likely will take some steps forward sooner rather than later. The Rams welcomed back Aaron Donald after an extended holdout. He missed Week 1, but was back last week. He was rusty in his first game back, and it might take some time to really get on track.

I took a few minutes this week to chat with the folks at Turf Show Times. Earlier today we talked Jared Goff, and now I wanted to switch to the defensive side of the ball. I asked them what the deal was with Aaron Donald’s holdout, and how he looked after an extended absence.

I think the holdout was largely designed to undercut the current CBA. Had Aaron Donald been drafted 20 picks later, he'd already be on his first post-rookie contract free agent deal and would likely be earning $20m or so more than what he's making this year. Given that he's on the fifth-year option for 2018, he's essentially sacrificing about $32m of market value to play these two seasons out.

There was nothing he could really do to recoup that loss but to hold out. And while I and other fans were supportive, there was a large and perhaps equal population who were not. The fan backlash was pretty severe. And given that the Rams won so dominantly in Week 1, many from that latter audience pointed to the blowout to suggest that if Donald wasn't willing to play out his deal, the Rams could do just fine without him.

As for his first game action in Week 2, he certainly didn't look like his dominant self. But he missed numerous offseason practices, all of training camp and all of the preseason. I think it's very easy to pin that on the lack of buildup action, and it's thus easy to worry as a Rams fan that he's going to need perhaps even more live action to function as his preseason and training camp before he's fully up to Aaron Donald speed.

The Rams had a strong outing in Week 1 against a bad Indianapolis Colts team, and then had an up and down performance in Week 2 against a better Washington squad. I asked TST about the defense aside from Donald through the first two games.

The secondary has played VERY well, but the pass rush hasn't been great and the run defense has been very poor. How much of that is just a two-game anomaly and how much is a constant for 2017? I'd bet on some improvement coming in the pass rush, but I'm both excited and worried that the other two are just part of who this team is.

I was concerned about the quality of our linebackers before the season started. I'm moreso now. How is Defensive Coordinator Wade Philips going to work them into the strengths of the defense? That might determine the Rams' win-loss record heading into the Week 8 bye more than anything on offense.

----------
I think he should hold out again, ASAP.
--------

Weak pass rush and weak LBs

Strong secondary that plays primarily man.

A decent QB could take advantage of those 2 weak links.

Hyde could have another Dyn-O-Mite game.

Mark this one down as the 1st win of the season and the 4th win in a row against the Rams.

I haz spoken.
--------

The Rams pass rush should look a lot better this week
But their run defense should continue to struggle.

If their LBs are a problem but their secondary is good, I’d throw a bunch of short routes – slants, RB/FB out of the backfield, that sort of thing.
---------
DONALD AINT EVEN GONNA BE THE BEST #99 ON THE FIELD
actually yeah he probably will be, but Buckner is getting there
---------
I actually agree with your first statement
Donald is still getting used to playing in a 3-4 while Buckner really looks at home as a 3 tech in a 4-3 defense.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/9/20/16337718/49ers-rams-preview-week-3-aaron-donald-defense

49ers-Rams preview: Talking Aaron Donald’s return and this LA defense

DONALD AINT EVEN GONNA BE THE BEST #99 ON THE FIELD
actually yeah he probably will be, but Buckner is getting there
---------
I actually agree with your first statement
Donald is still getting used to playing in a 3-4 while Buckner really looks at home as a 3 tech in a 4-3 defense.

Lol, some of these people are just plain delusional.

Rainram

Starter
It's hard for me to tell what our Offense will do. Seattle really had an opportunity to put up mid-20's, but they didn't. Carolina did okay against them. I'd say conservatively we get 16, but wouldn't be surprised to see 23.

But what I just can't fathom is their offense putting up more than 13-16. Max. More than that and we have problems. Even if they feature Hyde and control the clock and TOP...they're still no offensive juggernaut.

Whether either defense or ST scores points though??...that could be a factor.

I'd love to get up two scores early on this bunch. Stifle that offense three series in a row and the fans will turn on em.

I'd definitely try to stretch them early. Get Everett, Watkins, Austin and Kupp on some deep routes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's pound these fuckers into the ground. McVay, I know you have fond memories of the 49ers from your childhood, but go hang a 50burger on them. Show the NFL that the LA Rams ain't nothing to fuck wit.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
"Also, I've been watching All or Nothing and have to say I'm disappointed Jeff Fisher was fired. The guy is such an idiot that I think nearly anyone is an upgrade."

LOL
Even other team's fans...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saw an article posted on reddit saying Coldplay has performed at Levi Stadium more times than the Whiners have won there.

Rainram

Starter
Let's pound these fuckers into the ground. McVay, I know you have fond memories of the 49ers from your childhood, but go hang a 50burger on them. Show the NFL that the LA Rams ain't nothing to freak wit.

Wouldn't that be nice. It would be so sweet to destroy them, like we did Indy. I mean just put our foot on the gas and don't let off.

Maybe the Redskins game was the anomaly because they knew McVay. And even then we coulda/woulda/shoulda been in the 23-27 range.

Our offense is very capable with McVay at the helm. At while the Niners Defensive Front is decent, McVay should certainly be able to scheme some great plays to beat them. They don't have elite pass rushers. Sure they had Wilson on the run a bit, but Seattle's line has gotta be among the worst in the league. SF will likely have a safety in the box a lot, and with Reid out, a good portion of their secondary is very average...let's get behind them. I think PA would be good today. TEs have good matchups. Just have to protect Goff.

If we can manage to come out on prime time and whoop the Niners, it would just tell me that we are in the driver's seat in the division. Go get a big road/division win fellas!!

Zero

Pro Bowler
they thought after that 46-9 win over the Colts, they were the second coming of the Greatest Show on Turf...after week one we had some long discussions about over estimating a team's prowess after 60 minutes...especially one who faced a QB named Tolzien.

How can they talk shit about Tolzien,when their QB is the 31st rated QB in the league.
Hoyer=Tolzien

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Load the box and make Hoyer beat you.

If they load the box and the SF run game is still productive? Problem!

But I don't think that will happen. And, despite a few opinions that Hoyer isn't all that bad, I disagree... I think he's very Case Keenum-like... career back-up who cannot elevate a team to a win very often.

Rams offense? I think McVay will stick to his convictions more this game (said as much after the WASH game).

Balanced attack with a few surprises thrown in... spread the ball around and a good dose of Gurley.

I'm not into predictions... but I have a good feeling about this game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's their GDT:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/189314-san-francisco-49ers-los-angeles-rams-2017-game/

tilerams49012_zpsln6pnjp9.png

right_cross_zpsshhnc2wf.jpg

Punch 'em in the mouth

silince_zpsmuvypz80.png

---------
Hoyer finally gets on track and we win a blow out. Breida and Hyde both break 100.

Buckner 2 sacks. Robinson interception. Bowman forced fumble on Girly.
----------
Buckner gonna eat some Goff for dinner
--------
Yay! Tonight's the night that we get our asses kicked in front of a national audience.....
---------
Probably not a beat down.
--------
Our defense will keep it a close game.
--------
The defense spent 45 minutes on the field on sunday in seattle. This D is gassed.
---------
If the Rams beat us it mean we have gone backward from Chip Kelly's scheme
----------
goff is playing better and they are an improved team. I still think this team is light years ahead of last year's team, but Hoyer is actually playing worse than kaepernick from last year.
---------
im going all in on the niners this time around. (pick'em)

I have my x3 multiplier going for the Niners on this one. We've always had success vs the Rams at home. especially prime time. every season is different, but Homefield advantage has me sold. we at least score our first TD
---------
Rams ain't s**t!

Niners 34
Rams 10
--------
Are the NFL trying to kill TNF with Sh%^#tty games?
--------
All I want tonight is a touchdown lol
---------
I'm sure the Rams will score some.
--------
Tonight's the night! I really think this is the game. We will finally get over the hump and see what this offense can do. I think this is the night. We finally score a touchdown. In garbage time.
---------
giphy.gif

-------
I'm calling it first here fellas...niners win the coin toss.. elect to recieve. Boldin jr takes one to the house!!!
-------
f**k the rams
--------
Hope the DL still isn't gassed from Sunday. They need to pressure Goff, otherwise we have no chance. This offense aint doin s**t.
--------
only 60 degrees at game time? no way!
-------
Rams O-line is much improved with Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan. Goff is pretty much a statue in the pocket and he's only been sacked 3 times compared to Hoyer's 6. I would like to see Saleh dial up more blitzes, seems like he only rushes four the majority of the time.
--------
Have a really bad feeling about this game. Hope im wrong.
I think their D shows up and looks like they did against Indy.
4 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INT, and chants of BEAT! HARD! BEAT! HARD! BEAT! HARD!
--------
The RBs will feast and the offense is going to hang 3 TDs on the Rams.

Hyde will punch in the first one, then Goodwin miraculously remembers how to catch and scores our second TD. Breda cleans up and gets the 3rd as we grind them out for the win.

Hoyer posts a modest 15/20 for 215 yds and 1 TD.

And don't start Gurley in your fantasy leagues. He'll average less than 3.0 yds/carry.

You can take that s**t to Vegas!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here's their GDT:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/189314-san-francisco-49ers-los-angeles-rams-2017-game/

tilerams49012_zpsln6pnjp9.png

right_cross_zpsshhnc2wf.jpg

Punch 'em in the mouth

silince_zpsmuvypz80.png

---------
Hoyer finally gets on track and we win a blow out. Breida and Hyde both break 100.

Buckner 2 sacks. Robinson interception. Bowman forced fumble on Girly.
----------
Buckner gonna eat some Goff for dinner
--------
Yay! Tonight's the night that we get our asses kicked in front of a national audience.....
---------
Probably not a beat down.
--------
Our defense will keep it a close game.
--------
The defense spent 45 minutes on the field on sunday in seattle. This D is gassed.
---------
If the Rams beat us it mean we have gone backward from Chip Kelly's scheme
----------
goff is playing better and they are an improved team. I still think this team is light years ahead of last year's team, but Hoyer is actually playing worse than kaepernick from last year.
---------
im going all in on the niners this time around. (pick'em)

I have my x3 multiplier going for the Niners on this one. We've always had success vs the Rams at home. especially prime time. every season is different, but Homefield advantage has me sold. we at least score our first TD
---------
Rams ain't s**t!

Niners 34
Rams 10
--------
Are the NFL trying to kill TNF with Sh%^#tty games?
--------
All I want tonight is a touchdown lol
---------
I'm sure the Rams will score some.
--------
Tonight's the night! I really think this is the game. We will finally get over the hump and see what this offense can do. I think this is the night. We finally score a touchdown. In garbage time.
---------
giphy.gif

-------
I'm calling it first here fellas...niners win the coin toss.. elect to recieve. Boldin jr takes one to the house!!!
-------
f**k the rams
--------
Hope the DL still isn't gassed from Sunday. They need to pressure Goff, otherwise we have no chance. This offense aint doin s**t.
--------
only 60 degrees at game time? no way!
-------
Rams O-line is much improved with Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan. Goff is pretty much a statue in the pocket and he's only been sacked 3 times compared to Hoyer's 6. I would like to see Saleh dial up more blitzes, seems like he only rushes four the majority of the time.
--------
Have a really bad feeling about this game. Hope im wrong.
I think their D shows up and looks like they did against Indy.
4 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INT, and chants of BEAT! HARD! BEAT! HARD! BEAT! HARD!
--------
The RBs will feast and the offense is going to hang 3 TDs on the Rams.

Hyde will punch in the first one, then Goodwin miraculously remembers how to catch and scores our second TD. Breda cleans up and gets the 3rd as we grind them out for the win.

Hoyer posts a modest 15/20 for 215 yds and 1 TD.

And don't start Gurley in your fantasy leagues. He'll average less than 3.0 yds/carry.

You can take that s**t to Vegas!!
For the most part these guys sound like there on Crack! Straight off the boat from Fantasy Island!! I will enjoy this Beat-Down we give them like none before!
GO RAMS!! 34-9 and I have my money where my mouth is!! ( excuse me while I go check @flv 's Special bets! I may want to wager more!)

A55VA6

Legend
Let's pound these fuckers into the ground. McVay, I know you have fond memories of the 49ers from your childhood, but go hang a 50burger on them. Show the NFL that the LA Rams ain't nothing to freak wit.
fuck yeah bro!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it is funny that the Niners fans found a way to rationalize the Rams hiring McVay and beating the Niners to the punch. So they imagine the San Fran front office was pretending to be interested in McVay this whole time. Crazy fanaticism.

It's just like Ohio State fans when a coveted recruit commits to another team. They say he didn't have a formidable offer, or the coaches were stringing him along as a fallback....every time.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/9...-preview-week-3-tnf-updated-expectations-2017

49ers-Rams preview: What are updated LA expectations after two weeks?
The Rams have a blowout win and a close loss under their belt. Time to figure out what that means for Rams fans’ expectations.
by David Fucillo

845414746.0.jpg

Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images

The Los Angeles Rams head into Thursday Night Football coming off a tough loss to Washington, which was preceded by a blowout win of the Indianapolis Colts. It seems pretty clear the Colts are a bad team right now, while Washington has a chance to contend for a playoff spot.

The Rams are now 1-1 in an NFC West that is looking to be not particularly good. The Seattle Seahawks atrocious offensive line is going to cost them at some point. The Arizona Cardinals seem to be on the wrong side of Carson Palmer’s career. And of course, our San Francisco 49ers are in the early stages of a rebuilding process.

Through two games, what exactly do we know about the Rams? I personally think they are going to finish ahead of the Cardinals in the division, but still behind Seattle for the time being. I spoke with 3k_ over at Turf Show Times this week, and asked him what expectations were coming into Week 1, and what his expectations are after two games. Here’s what he had to say.

My expectations were decidedly low. Given the historic ineptitude of the 2016 offense, I thought it would take longer than it has to get it out of the basement of NFL offenses, even with the replacements. So perhaps my surprise hasn't necessarily been the adequacy of the offense overall.

I thought McBae (yes, that is his official name at TST) would get us there eventually, but to get there by mid-September has been a revelation. And yes, adequacy and not supremacy was the goal for 2017. It's a low bar, but if you saw our offense last year (and you guys got two spectacular looks at it) it was lower than the lowest bar. So just to get to this point has been impressive.

Overall though, it's going to take some adjustments that are somewhat unpredictable. The Rams have just one game in Los Angeles between now and Week 10 in mid-November. How will the staff manage the road work? Are teams going to go run heavy on us if the run defense woes continue?

How can Philips turn something like that into a workable format? Does McVay tire of some of the lesser performances on offense or does he stick with them knowing 2017 isn't a make or break year for him or the team?

I just don't have any answers. It's a new staff with a large chunk of a roster that's new and a feeling of starting from scratch despite some players' tenure in the locker room. Unlike Week 3s of years past where I felt very comfortable that we knew who the Rams were, I honestly don't feel that way this year. And that could be a good thing or a bad thing
------
My expectations are
For the D to perform worse after two weeks of being overworked and playing well and Hoyer to bounce back after 2 very very bad games . Hoyer actually played worse than I thought
---------
Phillips has problems scheming against zone runs.
We need to run heavy on them. and their secondary is trash. They do have a great pass rush but they blitz alot. So if Shanahan is smart we will hit them early with a bunch of runs and screens at at some point Hoyer will go deep (Hopefully he throws it well) to Taylor or Garcon please god. if he’s on target they will be open and that will be enough to slow down their blitz, and open running games and we can win.
--------
Reid's absence will be felt
but I expect our defense to perform well nonetheless. We sacked Wilson 3 times, and I expect even more pressure to materialize against Goff. Tank, Lynch, Armstead, maybe even Thomas – somebody will break through and flatten Goff.

Second, I also expect our d-line to hold Gurley at bay. He’s not going to be breaking off long runs like Hyde did against Seattle. We’ll play stout and tough along the line, and Bowman can still thump big dudes like Gurley.

Third, Carlos Hyde ran 15 times for 124 yards – I expect more two back sets with more lead blocks from Jucsyak, and I expect the running game to produce once again. If we have a third and short (or God help us, a 4th and short), I expect Juscyak to lead block Hyde through the hole.

Fourth, I expect Goodwin to actually hold onto a pass this week, or that Aldrick Robinson will be in instead and that he will actually catch a couple passes. I also expect Shannahan to throw some more short passes to Taylor this week.

Fifth, (dare I hope?) I expect Hoyer to throw at least one td pass.

Sixth, I expect to score in mid 20’s to low 30’s. We simply have too much talent to be scoring 3 points or 9 points a game.
---------
Interesting to see our Defense
when they can let loose a little and not worry about playing contain against the prospect of Goff taking off for a scramble (designed or otherwise). I think this will free them up to improve their coverage sideline to sideline. Would be great if we could generate enough pressure to disrupt plays in their backfield with just our D Linemen.

Would be nice if Hoyer starts picking up the slack now. Keep our guys as fresh as possible before a well deserved 10 days of rest after this week. It’s great that we will get Arizona off a short week for them given their monday night tilt against Dallas.

Losing Foster week 1, then Reid week 2… please can we stay healthy this game? We’re lucky those injuries weren’t season ending.
------
Still not sold
On the rams or goff.

They usually are competitive with there defense but Was never a huge fan of goff. He has looked a little better but they hadn’t played the best defenses yet.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
The niners only real hope is playing Fisher ball, controlling the clock and running the ball. If the Rams can get out to an early lead and force Hoyer to throw this could be a blowout.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Phillips has problems scheming against zone runs.
We need to run heavy on them. and their secondary is trash. They do have a great pass rush but they blitz alot. So if Shanahan is smart we will hit them early with a bunch of runs and screens at at some point Hoyer will go deep (Hopefully he throws it well) to Taylor or Garcon please god. if he’s on target they will be open and that will be enough to slow down their blitz, and open running games and we can win.
--------

Did you hear that guys?! Our secondary is trash! Don't fact check that though.

I really hope Webster can play so they can make Hoyer's life an absolute living hell.